Double Fine Action Forums
Darth Marsden

Greetings from the Telltale Games forums!

I'm just going to tell you right here that Guru is a very good friend of mine, Fawful, Icedhope, and Dashing as well as many other TTG members who have come over here. Like, we're off-forum friends, get together IRL, facebook, chats, hangouts... So if you're trying to say something, just spit it out already so we can decide whether to shun you appropriately or not.

Like the "Whatever's on your mind thread"?

See, that's the beauty of having left Telltale. I don't have to care about that thread or anything else on that forum anymore. That said, I did take a quick look out of curiosity earlier today, and it looks like that thread is doing just fine without me. Good for them.

Now I'ma go back to playing The Wind Waker HD, because some things never change.

I'm just going to tell you right here that Guru is a very good friend of mine, Fawful, Icedhope, and Dashing as well as many other TTG members who have come over here. Like, we're off-forum friends, get together IRL, facebook, chats, hangouts... So if you're trying to say something, just spit it out already so we can decide whether to shun you appropriately or not.

D'aww. Hangout tonight?

It's just my own little sarcastic joke. No offense meant.

Speaking of which, what the hell happened with most of those guys?

I got that it's great. Though don't like the ganon tower last level part.

I've really been enjoying it. The changes they made for the remake are all really nice, but still subtle enough to not alter the original game too much. I've been playing since I got my Wii U last week (it's the Wind Waker bundle to match my 3DS), and I'm in the Wind Temple right now.

By the way, I read Daishi's novel The Golden Anvil. He's got an amazing writing style and the story is damn good, so I will most certainly buy his next book The Dream Map when it comes out later this year.

I'd stay true to the mystery genre while adding a touch of Cold War thriller.
What does the Cold War have to do with Michael Jackson?

... I don't get it.

Michael-Jackson-Thriller-video-Making-of-Thriller-3d.jpg

^

But my loyalty to the company was shot (which might have something to do with Kevin Bruner lying to my face at PAX) and the people I cared about on the forums had left and had been supplanted by a group I no longer recognized, so the only reason I would've had left for staying was the rest of the mod team, and as much as it killed me to leave you guys in the lurch like that, it just wasn't worth the stress of staying when the community I cared about wasn't even there anymore. How the rest of you managed to maintain enough of a connection to the community to stick around, I have no idea.
We don't connect with the community. That's the biggest problem of all. Before, there a veritable mix of people. There were the immature ones, sure, but there were also older, more intelligent people like us (and coolsome, who's a category all by himself).

It's really not like that any more. It's just the kids left now, and you'd be amazed at how much of a mess they make when there's no elder teens to show them how they SHOULD be acting. All that's there are us mods - or, to continue the analogy, us teachers - and even we can't really do all that much due to the lack of proper mod tools.

As Ryan is so fond of mentioning, I caused a bit of a kerfuffle when I said something along the lines of "I think of people as idiots until they prove otherwise" back when the site first switched over. I maintain that stance with every fibre of my being, especially now that it's been proven that I was actually on to something with that statement.

So yeah... we don't connect with the forum-goers at Telltale. At all. Which is kinda why I want to leave as well.

So if there's zero connection to the community anymore, why haven't you left?
I really don't know why they're still there. I mean I'm only there these days because of that blood contract I signed with Telltale

I tell you, someone at TTG must give wicked blow jobs.

I'm on the verge of doing so, but I don't really want to up and leave without them getting someone to replace me.

...which is a problem, because (as already stated) the people there are idiots, so it's hard to find anyone worth giving mod status to.

*sigh*

I'm on the verge of doing so, but I don't really want to up and leave without them getting someone to replace me.

...which is a problem, because (as already stated) the people there are idiots, so it's hard to find anyone worth giving mod status to.

*sigh*

Your loyalty is admirable, but misplaced now as it's clear that they don't care or respect it. As you're just waiting for them to find a replacement before you leave then the chances are you'll never leave as they have no real need to find a replacement while you're still there. Leaving suddenly may help bring a dash of reality to the situation, or a slim chance of that at least.

They would have to pay me to be the divide between a company lacking communication and an impatient immature fanbase. I don't mean free games, I mean actual money.

I think it's funny how badly they're treated. This isn't 10-15 years ago when you could just shut down your website if there's problems. This is even more applicable to TTG since they, more specifically, need the forum with there episodic format. Could you imagine an unmoderated forum or no forum at all with one of their releases? With how moderators are treated, I guess they can. Keeping in mind the way they communicate, with a lack of forum to provide some form of communication for the die hards to spread word to social media, a lot of people would stop buying their games pretty quickly. End up with a more shaky reputation than Pitchford.

I tell you, someone at TTG must give wicked blow jobs.

Pfft, all I ever got for moderating was free copies of Jurassic Park, Law and Order, The Walking Dead, Puzzle Agent 2, Hector, and The Wolf Among Us, the Jurassic Park deluxe edition, Walking Dead and Fables T-shirts, a Clementine hat, copies of The Effigy Mound and The Art of S&M, a cut to the front of the turkey leg line and dinner at PAX 2012, reserved front row seating at Telltale's Playing Dead panel at PAX, a Dave Grossman autograph on my Monkey Island 2 box (which was an awesome personal favor from Telltale's PR manager), and flowers sent to me when my mom died. Not one blow job.

*sigh*

I can definitely understand that, but at some point you have to do what's best for you. When I left, I knew it was during a time of strain on the forums and the mod team was already understaffed, and that my absence would make things that much harder for those of you who stayed, but it was ultimately causing me too much stress to keep doing it, and as much as I didn't want to add to your burden by leaving, I had to do what I had to do. It sounds like you're at a similar crossroads now. I know you feel like you're needed, but please give a thought for your own well being and really look at if the trade off is worth it.

As Ryan is so fond of mentioning, I caused a bit of a kerfuffle when I said something along the lines of "I think of people as idiots until they prove otherwise" back when the site first switched over.

It's not that I'm fond of bringing that up but honestly I believe that along with another mod's excellent retelling of the whole story from their P.O.V from TWD to PAX to the New Forums and it got sunk without any reason given and the mods said they had nothing to do with it being sunk leaving only someone from TTG who could have done it unless a mod did it for no reason and won't admit they did it which I doubt.

But the whole debate about Darth and Kevin was what really annoyed me. Here we had Darth giving his opinion on the whole mess. A opinion he stated clear as day was not how he thinks as a mod but rather how he thinks as a member of what used to be a great forum and what resulted out of it?

Darth's posts being nitpicked for any tiny detail that could be taken and used against him. Such as one comment being along the lines of ''I don't think I like the idea of a mod who believes new members are idiots.'' This is one of the comments that pissed me off the most. Why?

Because Darth has been one of the oldest members on the forum (At least that I know of). He had been there for a long time. He already proven himself as a good member who is also a great mod and yet when he gives his opinion what does he get? His skills as a mod being brought in doubt despite the fact that he had been a mod and member for a long time and while joking about it, he never abused his mod powers against anyone who didn't deserve it and even at that, if I remember right, he along with other mods didn't like having to raise the old ban hammer or at least a permanent ban anyway.

So why would there be any reason at all that his mod skills should be doubted if he shown that he can be fair as a mod months before the whole thing even happened? Even then, this was when almost every other mod had left so It's a bit stupid to be trying to say a mod who decided to stay there even though he hates the forums now just so he can help keep the forums a little bit cleaner from the spambots and other things that they don't like that he thinks new members are ''noobs''

It really annoys me because I sorta felt that they were taking the new players side rather than trying to find a happy balance between old and new members but instead decided to go against the person who helped clean everything up when things were extremely messy in TTG's old forums and instead took the side of New players who did such things as complain about small glitches, episode dates, and characters being killed off (Again that's not to say there was not good members who joined because there was some cool ones who came with TWD.)

Not one blow job.

...You left, he didn't.

That's my logical conclusion.

Seriously though. Chris. Man. Dude.

You do not owe them anything. Anything. They needed your services and rewarded you for such. Transaction complete. It only needs to keep going as long as you want it to. If you no longer enjoy it or feel it is worth your trouble, step down. No one is going to think of you lesser for it, either way. I jest, I tease, I make fun, it's what I do. Honestly though, do whatever you want to do and stand with your decision. Forget about us, this back and forth between what you like, what you want, what you think is right, what you deserve et cetera is just needlessly wearing on yourself.

Someone who literally has a list of aspirations, don't let this internet crap be a weight on you.

Seriously though. Chris. Man. Dude.

You do not owe them anything. Anything. They needed your services and rewarded you for such. Transaction complete. It only needs to keep going as long as you want it to. If you no longer enjoy it or feel it is worth your trouble, step down. No one is going to think of you lesser for it, either way. I jest, I tease, I make fun, it's what I do. Honestly though, do whatever you want to do and stand with your decision. Forget about us, this back and forth between what you like, what you want, what you think is right, what you deserve et cetera is just needlessly wearing on yourself.

Someone who literally has a list of aspirations, don't let this internet crap be a weight on you.

I just edited a few month old post just for the hell of it to see if anyone notices. Does anyone notice? No? Thought not.

As Ryan is so fond of mentioning, I caused a bit of a kerfuffle when I said something along the lines of "I think of people as idiots until they prove otherwise" back when the site first switched over. I maintain that stance with every fibre of my being, especially now that it's been proven that I was actually on to something with that statement.

You should neither say that while you're mod over there nor give it as a reason for leaving. Stay on the most objective level here, because that's the one with dignity. A lot of new people rushed in, a lot of old people rushed out, and it's difficult to connect to the new crowd. Sincerely, utterly, difficult. I guess these guys wouldn't even recognise when some mod hasn't been around for two months.

I, uh..

...yeah. I can't do this any more.

You guys know I've been away for a few days, and during those days I've been thinking over a fair few things. One of those things was this place, and after discussing it with a few friends and mulling it over, I came to a fairly simple conclusion that I really should have said months ago.

I don't want to be here.

I'm honoured that you guys asked me to be a mod in the first place, I really am, and I hope in the time since I first took on that role that I've helped you guys out, because that's really all I wanted to do when I first accepted.

I wanted to pay Telltale back for being one of my favourite developers. I wanted to help out the community that I loved. I hoped to bring a bit of order and guidance to people who could be fantastic members of that community. And most of all, I wanted people to look up to me and think "hey, that Darth's a pretty nice guy, even if he is a mod."

That's not what I want any more, because all of those things have changed.

Telltale are no longer my favourite developers, because they're not making the games I love any more and don't seem to really respect their "fans". I can't help the community I love because it's no longer here - most of the people I liked to hang out with have moved to other places like Double Fine, and those who stayed barely have anything to say. I can't bring order to the site, because we don't have the tools to do so and people don't have the common sense to behave in the first place. And how can people think I'm a good guy when I have to act like a strict teacher lest they completely ignore me?

I've repeatedly used the analogy that this place is a school playground. And I honestly think it is. We've got kids running riot everywhere, we've got supervisors who aren't allowed to do anything but yell idle threats at them, and we've got teachers who - with precious few examples like Laura - don't seem to care about anything except the lesson plans.

I'm tired of this place. I'm tired of the frankly shameful way this site has been implemented and handled, I'm tired of the way Telltale have acted in almost every single regard over the past year, I'm tired of dealing with the miserable, complaining, screaming little shits that we have to call our "community members" and I'm tired of waking up every morning and having to wait almost an entire minute for my feed to load so I can check and see what stupidity I have to deal with once I've perma-banned half a dozen spambots.

I simply don't want to be here any more. So I'm going.

I hereby hand in my badge and my gun- actually no, I'm keeping the gun. I wish my fellow mods all the best and if Telltale ever decide to pull their heads out of their asses and switch back to proper forum software instead of this Reddit-styled nonsense, give me a shout and I'll be here. (We all know they won't, but if there's one thing I've ever learned from reading comics, it's to always leave a way to come back, no matter how implausible)

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

It took me two tries and at least 30 seconds to get that damn thing to post. Seriously, fuck that place.

Ohh when TTG make an announcement in the ring we should all storm it and do a huge attack on them each using our finisher move and then pose to the camera.

austin-nwo.jpg

Do it more like this.

Obviously, TellTale is William Regal.

Well Darth, good for you. I hope now you begin to feel better not having to put up with the TTG forums anymore.

Honestly I really can't wait for all this to blow up in TTG's face. They are down another mod leaving only Jen and Blind Sniper (Unless others where recently modded) and things sound bad if coolsome is high in the candidates for mod (No offence coolsome :P)

The worst thing is now they that they have screwed over almost every old fan, they have almost no hope of being able to find new mods. Can anyone honestly tell me if any of the new members are high candidates to become a mod?

As for me and TTG forums. If everyone remembers back, I was willing to give the forum system a chance. I was willing to look at the positives until they made stupid choice after stupid choice including giving TWD & TWAU way to much space and the other things I've mentioned as well including the whole debate with Darth and how I feel the discussions go there. I mean most new threads is either just people speaking about news in the world, or top 10 lists or things like that. There just doesn't seem to be any new fun threads anymore or any fun discussions. Sometimes you just want to sit back and discuss great series such as Ratchet & Clank or Batman. But now, discussions are the same thing as I said and that combined with threads that are made despite there already being a thread on that topic gets annoying.

I will admit I do still check the forums every so often but I just go to Double Fine way more now. There is where all the interesting and fun discussions continue rather than the other boring discussions that are on the TTG forums now.

I'm proud of you, Marsden. For what it's worth.

So, at the risk of beating dead horses, is there anything you feel like saying now that you have zero fear of reprisal nor duty to keep cool?

Good for you Darth you lasted a lot longer than most people ever would and you were a great mod while it lasted and I hope you can relax a bit more now you are no longer tied to that place

It's obvious that it took a lot of you to finally lay down the (rubber) ban hammer, but I'm also pretty sure it was the right call.

I hope Vainamoinen, Jennifer and Blind Sniper are still moderating because it's the right thing to do for them and not for the reasons that kept you there for so long after you started hating doing it.

I'm proud of you, Marsden. For what it's worth.

Me too.