Double Fine Action Forums
Darth Marsden

Greetings from the Telltale Games forums!

Finally! They're starting to communicate with their fans more like the old days. Their head of PR, Job J Stauffer, just confirmed on twitter that episode 3 of The Walking Dead Season Two is finished but they're waiting on their partners to confirm release dates.

This is an excellent step in the right direction. Hopefully this remains the norm from now on.

I like Job. Aside from Puzzlebox (who wasn't staff yet) and Shauntron (who was decidedly off-duty when we went drinking), Job was the staff member I spent the most time talking to at PAX a year and a half ago. I mean, you can tell that he puts a certain amount of spin on a lot of what he says (as any good PR manager will do), and he does have to follow the company line (which has unfortunately been mostly to clam up in the last few years), but when you talk to him, you can still tell that he's being straight with you in spite of all that, and that really meant a lot to me. He's a great guy and I really enjoyed getting to meet him. If we're starting to hear more open communication out of him, this is a huge step in the right direction for Telltale, especially if this sort of thing keeps up for future releases.

Finally! They're starting to communicate with their fans more like the old days. Their head of PR, Job J Stauffer, just confirmed on twitter that episode 3 of The Walking Dead Season Two is finished but they're waiting on their partners to confirm release dates.

This is an excellent step in the right direction. Hopefully this remains the norm from now on.

I like Job. Aside from Puzzlebox (who wasn't staff yet) and Shauntron (who was decidedly off-duty when we went drinking), Job was the staff member I spent the most time talking to at PAX a year and a half ago. I mean, you can tell that he puts a certain amount of spin on a lot of what he says (as any good PR manager will do), and he does have to follow the company line (which has unfortunately been mostly to clam up in the last few years), but when you talk to him, you can still tell that he's being straight with you in spite of all that, and that really meant a lot to me. He's a great guy and I really enjoyed getting to meet him. If we're starting to hear more open communication out of him, this is a huge step in the right direction for Telltale, especially if this sort of thing keeps up for future releases.

tumblr_ms5gnjaFQ61sfzgdso1_500.gif

hkqg9bpuhvfhhfzwigun-620x349.jpg

Well, f**k. Was kinda hoping we'd get to skip those bloody dialogue choices, but I guess that'd be expecting Telltale to not do the same thing that worked in one game over and over again in everything else they do.

Silly me.

It's not a surprise really. It was pretty much implied that have a moral choice system here since they said at SXSW that there'd be choices and consequences here again, but instead of like in The Walking Dead where you had to choose between the lesser of two evils, here you had to choose between two very lucrative choices.

It sounds like the choices and consequences model will work here well, but hopefully they back that up with solid action sequences (since the Borderlands world pretty much demands it). Personally, I think the choices and consequences model works for The Wolf Among Us too, but they really should have investigation on top of it, considering the source material. If they are able to successfully blend action (real action, and not just QTE. I personally don't mind the QTE since I've always liked it in games like Shenmue, or QTE arcade games like Dragon's Lair or The Act, but I don't think having QTE as action exclusively would work for the Borderlands franchise) and choices together, instead of just sticking to choices and consequences (with QTE sequences) exclusively, I think this kind of game could fit the Borderlands world perfectly.

Yeah, I guess that's true. We'll have to wait and see if they do have actual action scenes. Somehow though, I doubt they will - and if they do, it'll be more of that goddamn bulls**t QTE nonsense that I'm so thoroughly sick and tired of, because that's all they know how to do.

Uhhhgg. Borderlands deserves better. Half the fun is in character dynamics, and I think having a standard Wheel o' Choices detracts from that.

As far as I can gather one USP is supposed to be that the two main characters are telling their versions of the same story and I think it's up to you to decide which version is the more truthful one or something like that.

Well. There's the biggest example of TTG trying to use their TWD style for every game. I mean are you seriously saying ''Let's take the FPS and make it into a interactive QTE/Exploring/Whatever game (I'm not using the word Adventure >_>). I mean you can get away with it for TWD, TWAU, and GOT which either A. Didn't have a game before and B. Had a game before but most people called it awful.

Bolderlands is a game which already has two major advantages about the playstyle.

1.It's a very fun Co-Op game.

2.It's is a very good comedy FPS.

Tales from the Bolderlands seems to throw both these traits out the window for the same gameplay in TWD which doesn't seem to fit the Bolderlands universe.

That and from what little of Bolderlands 2 and playing a lot of Poker Night 2. I don't think I want to play a game which may require talking to Claptrap a lot.

Earlier today, I realized what's bugging me the most about the whole "new style" of TTG: It's that they are currently making four games in a row with it. If they even just had three of them like that and then had the fourth be a new Sam and Max season or something, I don't think there'd be nearly as much disappointment.

But nope, they had to go all in. And the worst thing is that the majority never wants them to go back.

As I said in Jenni's Telltale Catalog thread, I think there is nothing wrong with Telltale pursuing choices/dialog selection as long as they eventually move up towards making those the backbone of the game, rather than their main gameplay.

If Telltale gave that style of gameplay to their casual titles and made new gameplay styles for their more "core" titles, I think Telltale would be in a pretty interesting place. As of now, though, it seems they are limiting their potential and playing it safe.

...Borderlands is kinda an esoteric choice though. I've read interviews where Kevin Bruner mentioned it was a goal of Telltale to make a game based off of a major gaming franchise, but I think they should've held out for something a little more story oriented. I played Borderlands 2 to get familiar with the humor for Poker Night 2. The game was fun, but the writing (from what sections I played) was nothing special.

...or if they wanted to do comedy shooters, they could have at least made a Team Fortress 2 series. Valve has started expanding upon the lore with that game lately.

Also, in random news if you guys follow Wolf Among Us, the fourth episode is already in certification supposedly according to the Telltale forums. Kind of interesting as they have lately been lagging with their previous episode releases.

I've said it before, but I love how Telltale has a facebook page. I get to see the hilarious whining and tantrums without visiting the website. It really makes my day. Man, if this shit is ruining your enjoyment, you have a long depressing life ahead of you.

What I dislike(besides the lack of puzzles) is the confinement and predetermined pace. Lately, they've felt like a combination book and rail shooter. If I wanted the experience of being taken for a walk, I'd go find a leash and a Master.

I'd stay true to the mystery genre while adding a touch of Cold War thriller.
What does the Cold War have to do with Michael Jackson?

... I don't get it.

Michael-Jackson-Thriller-video-Making-of-Thriller-3d.jpg

^

Ok, I just got this. And I am so fucking embarrassed that it took me this long to do so.

Telltale's always done 2 or 3 of the same style of game, then broke it up with something different, either with a full season or a small release. In the early days, their adventure games were broken up by CSI (which was not an inventory based adventure like the other games Telltale was making at the time), then once the Pilot Program came along the adventure releases were broken up by things like Poker Night or Puzzle Agent. That trend is continuing so far into their cinematic story games. The Walking Dead had Poker Night 2 to break things up before the release of The Wolf Among Us. Kevin Bruner said that more small games are coming from Telltale, so it's possible we're going to get another Pilot Program type title, either at the end of the summer when The Wolf Among Us and The Walking Dead: Season Two concludes, or between the releases of Tales from the Borderlands and Game of Thrones.

I think I've found a glitch in W&G Flight of the Bumblebees which might make me unable to get any further. I'm on the part where you have to make the grow formula and I have not got any of the things needed but I have almost got the Strongium from the tea bag and Glotein from Crum. So I was working on getting the Grotein bars from Crum and gave him the beehive helmet and Gromit's Dog Tags before I got Miss.Flint to do the alert sound but now when I try to leave Wallace's garden to go out to Major Crum, It instead takes me to the town. Any suggestions anyone?

Edit: I've got both the strongium teabag and the battery from the Sniffer 3000 but no matter what I do, Wallace will not go out into the street to Major Crum. The game just keeps going to the town when I try to go out into the street. Is there any way to fix this?

Edit Again: Nevermind, I finally figured out it wasn't a glitch but rather Major Crum left to go into Wallace's cellar but since I had already given him the hat and tags, I never saw the cutscene showing him leaving.

I think I've found a glitch in W&G Flight of the Bumblebees which might make me unable to get any further. I'm on the part where you have to make the grow formula and I have not got any of the things needed but I have almost got the Strongium from the tea bag and Glotein from Crum. So I was working on getting the Grotein bars from Crum and gave him the beehive helmet and Gromit's Dog Tags before I got Miss.Flint to do the alert sound but now when I try to leave Wallace's garden to go out to Major Crum, It instead takes me to the town. Any suggestions anyone?

Edit: I've got both the strongium teabag and the battery from the Sniffer 3000 but no matter what I do, Wallace will not go out into the street to Major Crum. The game just keeps going to the town when I try to go out into the street. Is there any way to fix this?

If I remember correctly (which I might not have, since it's been a while since I played Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures, although I'm really looking forward to playing it again for my playthrough, and might start a bit early to see if I can reproduce your problem and help you figure it out), Mr. Paneer gives you a map earlier in the game. Did you try using that to get to your destination?

I'm playing through Back to the Future: The Game as kind of a break from my replay retrospectives before I play CSI, since I have a brain issue that makes it hard to concentrate, remember, or retain information when the issue arises (don't worry, it's nothing to be concerned about, since I've had many MRIs done, so the doctors think it's either stress related, depression and anxiety related, a side effect from my medicine, or a combination... so it's not anything really serious). It's actually not that bad of an adventure game. My biggest issues with the game are the huge, non-removable user interface that takes up a quarter of the screen, and the camera zoom-ins that straight up tell you the answer to some puzzles. Without those issues, Back to the Future: The Game would be a whole lot more enjoyable.

Anyway, I'm surprised I thought of anything tonight since I'm usually really useless at thinking when my brain starts acting up. But, I'm learning Lua for my Moai adventure game, and I started thinking about the Grim Mouse mod that edited a bunch of Lua scripts in Grim Fandango to make it playable with a mouse and then released it legally as a patch. I'm wondering if it would be possible to patch the Lua scripts in Back to the Future: The Game to make it a better game. Both of the two main issues with the game I mentioned should be able to at least be removed by editing the Lua scripts (or even better, but maybe not as possible, enabling and disabling them as an option in the menu. I might give this a try once my mind defogs a bit. I hope this is possible, as it would definitely make Back to the Future: The Game more fun to play.

Yeah Jen, I figured out the problem was since I went to Miss.Flint last and Major Crum already had the dog tags and helmet, It didn't play the cutscene of him leaving the bench after the alarm. But that's for the help anyway! :)

I like the colours, the idea is neat (i prefer real wilderness/nature though, i wonder if they care about some Rift stunt), of course the execution will matter (there's potential to get it right), not the biggest fan of the engine but there are worse options around as well. I'll give it a try once it will hit a DRM free channel.

Btw. are you more the kind of person who eats a bar of chocolate in one session or do you (try to) spend yourself a part for the next day(s)?

Yummy, and gone (150g of pure awesomeness). :o)

FINALLY got around to fixing the typo in the thread title (Greeting from? That doesn't make any sense...) - has it been like that since I started it? Hell of an oversight, considering how much of a grammar fiend I am.

FINALLY got around to fixing the typo in the thread title (Greeting from? That doesn't make any sense...) - has it been like that since I started it? Hell of an oversight, considering how much of a grammar fiend I am.

I'm pretty sure it originally said gratin. I always pictured it as being a dish of baked babies with a topping of breadcrumbs (oh, crumbs!) and cheese.

Fhqwhgads is an internet p0rn addict that is unable to control his habits.

It's like you are staring directly into my soul.

You're German. YOU HAVE NO SOUL.

What does that make me? I'm half German.

Half life 3.

Well...

I'm here.

I feel that was rather anticlimactic.

You'd then offer him a slice of Goerring. It has a LOT of blubber on it, though.

You of all people should know, there's nothing so cruel as memory.... the pointy biting little thunderbolts, unwanted party crashers, SCREAMERS through your synapses.. inescapable, unrelenting....not at all friendly. You can't even escape into MADNESS!