Double Fine Action Forums
Darth Marsden

Greetings from the Telltale Games forums!

I really need the next episode of Life is Strange to come out. Dontnod is making exactly the sort of game that Telltale is trying to make, but it's actually really good.

*watches trailer and a snippet of a let's play*

That looks... really good.

*hopes for a GOG release*

If SquareEnix follows their usual GOG release schedule, you can look forward to it in 2027! :(

...GOG and Square don't really mix. GOG just has a few games that have retroactively fallen in SQE's clutches through the usual video game imperialism, especially by eating up Eidos.

...GOG and Square don't really mix. GOG just has a few games that have retroactively fallen in SQE's clutches through the usual video game imperialism, especially by eating up Eidos.

What a damn shame that is. I refuse to support draconian DRM, unless it's Alien: Isolation, in which case I'm all over it!

And divisonten.

And Silverwolfpet.

Divisionten has started posting again over at the Telltale forums.

Well tell 'em to get over here, we're WAY more fun!

I really need the next episode of Life is Strange to come out. Dontnod is making exactly the sort of game that Telltale is trying to make, but it's actually really good.

*watches trailer and a snippet of a let's play*

That looks... really good.

*hopes for a GOG release*

I just went on PSN with a £20 voucher to purchase Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD because I'd noticed that it was on sale a few days ago. I looked it up today and the sale had ended. Annoying...

However, I started looking through what else I could buy and what should I come across but Life Is Strange (season pass). I didn't even know that it was available for PS3. I'm actually glad that the sale on the Final Fantasy X bundle had ended now! It's a pretty crappy game anyway.

I'm actually glad that the sale on the Final Fantasy X bundle had ended now! It's a pretty crappy game anyway.
Yes. Be very glad.

Huh. So migrating from the Telltale forums to here is a thing? I was a bit slow at finding this thread, but it's nice to see so many familiar usernames here (and username mentions of people that are missed - I'd love to see those guys back here too).

I never really "left" or "gave up" on Telltale per se, I just haven't posted on the forums in many years. I still enjoy all the games from them that I own, though I admit it's been a while since I bought anything from them (my most recent series from them being Back to the Future). I think the real reason I grew inactive on there was simply due to real life shenanigans (aka post grad college) and just didn't go on there for a few years while I was busy with other stuff. I was surprised when I tried visiting their website for my first time in years a few weeks ago. Had no idea it changed back in 2013 though.

I went on their forums a bit in the days of Monkey Island and Sam & Max (I joined when I pre-ordered Tales of Monkey Island) and my fondest memories are:

-Majus and the "I Wonder What Happens" series

-People's theories on what'd happen in the next episode of a series (in general)

-Everyone becoming Winslow fanboys/fangirls because why the heck not

-The "crap art" thread

Guess the reason I haven't bought anything from them lately is simply because their more recent franchises don't appeal to me personally. Now, just skimming through this thread, I'm confused at what they're doing now. Like lots of you have already said, it looks like they're going more for a mainstream angle, which I guess is a smart move in terms of making money, but some of these don't seem like the kind of franchises that warrant an episodic series.

The Minecraft thing a few pages back... is that for real? Don't get me wrong, I do play Minecraft myself, but... hmm...

I can imagine it generating tons of money but also tons of bad reviews for its atmosphere and gameplay differences. Yep. It's going to be the Minecraft version of "Legend of Spyro".

Huh. So migrating from the Telltale forums to here is a thing? I was a bit slow at finding this thread, but it's nice to see so many familiar usernames here (and username mentions of people that are missed - I'd love to see those guys back here too).

I never really "left" or "gave up" on Telltale per se, I just haven't posted on the forums in many years. I still enjoy all the games from them that I own, though I admit it's been a while since I bought anything from them (my most recent series from them being Back to the Future). I think the real reason I grew inactive on there was simply due to real life shenanigans (aka post grad college) and just didn't go on there for a few years while I was busy with other stuff. I was surprised when I tried visiting their website for my first time in years a few weeks ago. Had no idea it changed back in 2013 though.

I went on their forums a bit in the days of Monkey Island and Sam & Max (I joined when I pre-ordered Tales of Monkey Island) and my fondest memories are:

-Majus and the "I Wonder What Happens" series

-People's theories on what'd happen in the next episode of a series (in general)

-Everyone becoming Winslow fanboys/fangirls because why the heck not

-The "crap art" thread

Guess the reason I haven't bought anything from them lately is simply because their more recent franchises don't appeal to me personally. Now, just skimming through this thread, I'm confused at what they're doing now. Like lots of you have already said, it looks like they're going more for a mainstream angle, which I guess is a smart move in terms of making money, but some of these don't seem like the kind of franchises that warrant an episodic series.

The Minecraft thing a few pages back... is that for real? Don't get me wrong, I do play Minecraft myself, but... hmm...

I can imagine it generating tons of money but also tons of bad reviews for its atmosphere and gameplay differences. Yep. It's going to be the Minecraft version of "Legend of Spyro".

Yes, the Minecraft game is real, and looks unbelievably stupid.

Let's be fair here, Spyro at least had the potential for a darker take which was considered to have been decently well. This however, is so desperate to take a game that doesn't fit this type of story and make it look like a Machina video that's playable.

Also, I really enjoy the ''I Wonder What Happens'' series. My personal favourite was Episode 4 with Stan shouting ''I DID ALL I COULD SON'', and all the callbacks to the previous games.

I was just on Telltale's website, looking at the Minecraft FAQs, and found this:

How does the game work?

If you’ve played Telltale’s other recent games, you’ll have a good idea of the choice-based gameplay you’ll enjoy in Minecraft: Story Mode. If you’re new to Telltale and our games, the story you experience is driven by the choices that YOU make. You’ll make decisions about what to say (or not to say) in dialog with other characters, and this, along with physical choices in moments of action, will alter the flow of the story, meaning that the game you experience could be very different from someone else’s.

I can change the story?

Yes. Our games constantly present you with choices that can change the game right in that very moment, or later in the episode or series. Telltale’s games are about making decisions, and then living with the consequences.

Guess I've been away longer than I realised! So apparently in this series there's not really a set storyline, but instead a few different routes the story can go down, based on decisions the player makes at certain points. And, this is how the majority of their games work now? I've not played any of their games like this, so I'm not going to say I'm for or against it or anything, I just didn't realise this was something they did now.

The personality/atmosphere change does worry me a bit. That was really why I mentioned the Spyro incident - sure, they made the darker, dramatic atmosphere work for their newer series (and for customers who had never played a Spyro game before, there were no issues), yet the games still got criticism for the overall atmosphere and the main character's personality being quite different from the older games. I can kinda see this being a repeat of that. Only more drastic in this case.

What really puzzled me in the trailer was that I was waiting for something completely wacky to suddenly happen. I at least expected the dramatic music to stop abruptly and then see all those creepers blow up.

I mean, there's this gang of heroes walking around with a perfectly normal-loooking Minecraft pig beside them! Okay, so there probably will be plenty of little throwaway jokes throughout the game, but that won't change the fact that the game itself still has this unfitting atmosphere to it. Will be interesting to see what kind of feedback it gets, but I'm a bit worried myself.

Haha, I loved episode 4 of the IWWH series too (all the Stan bits, and the Sam and Max cameo). I also especially liked that scene at the beginning of episode 3 where Guybrush, Winslow, and Morgan freak out about the manatee, just before it effortlessly eats them in one bite.

Guess I've been away longer than I realised! So apparently in this series there's not really a set storyline, but instead a few different routes the story can go down, based on decisions the player makes at certain points. And, this is how the majority of their games work now? I've not played any of their games like this, so I'm not going to say I'm for or against it or anything, I just didn't realise this was something they did now.

Kind of. The games have a set story, and you can make minor alterations along the way (example, in walking dead there's a moment where you have to choose between saving one person or the other, and the story reacts with whoever you picked to save), but the changes rarely have actual effects on the plot, at most some dialogue will change a bit down the line.

That's all they really do, they don't do traditional adventure games anymore, which has led to controversy among most people here on the forums. Personally, I don't have a problem with this setup, but these games pretty much live or die on if you care about the subject matter.

I see. Thanks for clearing that up!

I just went and read a few reviews for The Walking Dead season 1 on Steam. I read the first page of positive reviews, followed by the first page of negative reviews. Overall the game has tons more positive than negative feedback, but here's what I concluded from reading them:

Pros - great story, lots of well designed characters, character development is present, and apparently a bit of a tear jerker!

Cons - not much in the way of puzzles, more of an interactive movie than a game, choices you make don't really affect the story very much (like you mentioned).

Personally, I've usually enjoyed Telltale's storytelling abilities (especially in Tales of Monkey Island and Back to the Future) so I'm glad to see that side of their work is still getting a lot of love and praise. Sounds like the gameplay/puzzle side is really simplified though.

Yeah I'd say those reviews are overall pretty accurate to walking dead season 1.

Telltale's ''choices'' aren't really choices. At most, you may allow a character to stay alive longer for one episode at most. But Telltale always ends up making that choice not matter later down the line. For example, there's a point where you have to choose to save one character in Episode 1 of TWD, and allow the other to die, but regardless of your choice, the person you choose to save will end up dying one episode later.

Another example is in Episode 3, where one character commits a crime and it's up to you to decide if she gets abandoned from the group or if she's allowed to stay with them, but no matter what you do, she leaves the group regardless. At most, she stays along for a extra 10 minutes, only to escape and then run away from the group anyway.

As for the whole ''This character will remember your choices''. Most of the time, these characters are either A. downright unlikeable in the first place, to the point where it either has to be total agreement with them or else you are against them. Kenny in Season 1 of TWD for example treated Lee like he was a person who hated Kenny if you try take a neutral path or make one choice against him.

For example in Episode 2

Kenny wants to kill Lily's father because he thinks he's going to turn. Lee told him not to and give them a chance to revive him. You get a choice to save him or kill him. If you choose to save him, then Lily's father actually does get revived, only for Kenny to kill him anyway, and then almost allow Lee to be killed because you didn't help Kenny kill off an innocent character

As for the other type, it usually doesn't matter because the majority of side characters in these games end up getting killed off, so you're interactions with them doesn't even really matter much. The only exception to this being The Wolf Among Us.

I watched the first episode of season two and in my opinion, the writing didn't feel like it even made it to the end of that episode. It really didn't feel like a natural progression of character.

I watched the first episode of season two and in my opinion, the writing didn't feel like it even made it to the end of that episode. It really didn't feel like a natural progression of character.

Trust me, it gets much worse by Episode 2.

@Scrawffler If you like Majus, he made this for Double Fine: http://www.doublefine.com/games/host_master_deux

He also drew my avatar! :D

I actually saw and played that a while back. It's great. :) Didn't realise he made your icon as well though!

Caution though. During Walking Dead Season 2 & The Wolf Among Us old writers left the company and it shows. These seasons start out good and then quickly get worse as the episodes go on. Even though TWAU holds up a lot better than Season 2 of Walking Dead.

That's a shame. Like I said, I thought their storytelling was a strong area of theirs. And by the sound of it, what their newer stuff really relies on.

I'm actually tempted to watch a bit of a Youtuber play through one of their games to get a better idea of what their stuff's like now. I might be tempted to buy something new from them if they make a game for another franchise I'm already a fan of* but first I'd like to know what to expect.

*other than Minecraft.

Trust me, it gets much worse by Episode 2.

TBH episode 2 was the only episodes I found to be good in season 2, save for one scene which I think we all know about(

Kenny coming back

), I was actually hoping that meant that episode 1 just had a poor start and the rest of the season was going to be good, and then the rest of the season happened :/

@Gman

By Episode 2, it was kind of meh. Episode 3 was alright, up until the part where Sarah acts like a baby. Episode 4 & 5 though? I absolutely despise them. I would easily call them some of the worse episodes TTG has put out to date.

@Gman

By Episode 2, it was kind of meh. Episode 3 was alright, up until the part where Sarah acts like a baby. Episode 4 & 5 though? I absolutely despise them. I would easily call them some of the worse episodes TTG has put out to date.

For me it was

Ep 1 was terrible

2 was pretty good IMO

3 and 4 were simply boring.

I never played episode 5, I couldn't be bothered.

Put it this way. I simply disliked all of the characters in Season 2, the exceptions being Clem and Luke.

In Episode 5,

They kill off Luke

and make me downright despise the other characters. I think I even did a whole rant on the last 10 minutes of Season 2 alone at one point but I can't find the post here.

For me, I really didn't like the first four episodes of The Walking Dead Season Two, but I found episode 5 to be the best of the bunch (because it finally had a steady direction towards the end instead of petering off into nothing). It salvaged the season for me somewhat, in that I didn't feel like I wasted my time entirely as I felt it wrapped up

Kenny's

story decently (I actually cared for the guy by the end of the episode, and I couldn't care less for the rest of the season). It was a strange thing though that the story of season two wasn't really centered around the protagonist, and that made it really awkward throughout the season, since it wasn't clear where the story was headed until the finale. I've played all of Telltale's games, and this was the first time I disliked the story in any of their episodes (and the dislike factor of this season was four out of five episodes for me).

I really hope season three doesn't undo his story arc, as I felt it was buttoned pretty well in all of the scenarios. His story is finished, it is time to move on.

Caution though. During Walking Dead Season 2 & The Wolf Among Us old writers left the company and it shows. These seasons start out good and then quickly get worse as the episodes go on. Even though TWAU holds up a lot better than Season 2 of Walking Dead.

Sorry, but no. Jake and Sean were set to direct neither TWD Season 2 nor TWAU. TWAU was way into the concept stage when those two were still working on the first Season of TWD. In my opinion, TWD Season 2 suffers from an excessive case of sequelitis while rumors have been out there that the TWAU storyline was knocked over and entirely rewritten right after the first episode.

Losing the "Campo Santo" guys was definitely a huge loss for Telltale! But that had no bearing whatsoever on these two series. And please keep in mind that Jake and Sean were mainly responsible for the kind of game mechanics a lot of people seem to dislike in present day Telltale.

By the way, Campo Santo's Firewatch keeps shaping up into something that seems to have some almost adventure game type mechanics! Another game it resembles to me is Surgeon Simulator. Oh god, let's hope they have a GOG distribution spot, because I'd buy this!

By the way, Campo Santo's Firewatch keeps shaping up into something that seems to have some almost adventure game type mechanics! Another game it resembles to me is Surgeon Simulator. Oh god, let's hope they have a GOG distribution spot, because I'd buy this!

OK, this? This is the sort of thing I'd hoped Telltale would evolve into doing. It looks... GOOD. Like 'something I would pay money to play' good, and I genuinely don't say that sort of thing very often.

God, the sheer potential there... and the fact that it's first-person adds SO much... why is this the first I'm hearing of it?

Because you don't hang out on the Idle Thumbs forums?

To be 100% fair, even the Idle Thumbs forums only have one (1) thread about Firewatch while there SHOULD be an entire subforum. :)

Soooo.... typing up a few things about Firewatch for Darthy...

giphy.gif

OK, this? This is the sort of thing I'd hoped Telltale would evolve into doing. It looks... GOOD. Like 'something I would pay money to play' good, and I genuinely don't say that sort of thing very often.

God, the sheer potential there... and the fact that it's first-person adds SO much... why is this the first I'm hearing of it?

They've been keeping under the radar a lot unfortunately, but had a pretty huge E3 2015 presentation spot under Sony's wing.

http://blog.camposanto.com/post/121635737009/the-process-behind-putting-firewatch-on-stage-at

I prefer third person whenever I can get it, but very willing to accept first person here. It's still all pretty indie, with only a small team working on the game. I really hope it'll be a breakthrough for them.

Still, as they've been snatching two central former Double Fine employees, you could at least have known of the studio's existence. :)

17 minutes of gameplay here:

I'm pretty sure Fhqwhgads wasn't just referring to Sean Vanaman and Jake Rodkin leaving Telltale, as a lot of good writers and designers left Telltale around the time of The Wolf Among Us and The Walking Dead Season Two. Besides Sean and Jake, Dave Grossman, Michael Stemmle, and Harrison Pink left around that time as well. Plus, as far as I know, Chuck Jordan hasn't done contract work with Telltale since The Walking Dead: Season One.

They definitely lost a lot of great talent in recent times. It's not all bad news though, as one of my favorite writers and designers, Mark Darin, still works there. There are some really good writers and designers among the new staff too, like Pierre Shorette.

I'm pretty sure Fhqwhgads wasn't just referring to Sean Vanaman and Jake Rodkin leaving Telltale, as a lot of good writers and designers left Telltale around the time of The Wolf Among Us and The Walking Dead Season Two. Besides Sean and Jake, Dave Grossman, Michael Stemmle, and Harrison Pink left around that time as well. Plus, as far as I know, Chuck Jordan hasn't done contract work with Telltale since The Walking Dead: Season One.

They definitely lost a lot of great talent in recent times. It's not all bad news though, as one of my favorite writers and designers, Mark Darin, still works there. There are some really good writers and designers among the new staff too, like Pierre Shorette.

Huh, I didn't know that Stemmle left. Crazy.