Sign in to follow this  
Alcoremortis

The Spectacular Marvel Super-Thread

So, I like Marvel. A lot (if my avatar is any indication). I noticed that there wasn't a dedicated Marvel thread, so I'm breaking my usual "no thread making" rule and creating a place where we can laugh and play and come up with ridiculous predictions for what might happen in future movies. Or just post silly pictures from comics. Either one works.

hsZ6oxC.png

Okay, fine, that was from a show. Still a great moment.

To start things off, I recently got the opportunity to meet Peter David, writer of one of the best runs of Hulk and Spiderman (as well as many things non-Marvel related and therefore unimportant).

There's a girl Venom now? I'm totally down with that idea.

There will be a new female Symbiote-powered character in the new Venom series named Mania.

But she's not the first!

mZS59oj.png

She-Venom and

ocXXg8k.jpg

Scream both pre-date Mania by quite a bit, and I'm sure I'm missing at least one.

You know I have to say I never really got any of this sort of stuff. I mean I've enjoyed some of the comic book films but I've never gone any deeper than that.

Sometimes it feels like I missed out on something, but equally at other times I feel glad not to have been drawn into a massive a world as this.

I think for myself anyway, as a Brit I was never really exposed to these sot of comics. Best I got was the Beano or Dandy.

I got into comics thanks to my Dad, so that was my gateway.

Still have a bunch of the Essential Spider-Man collections tucked away that I reread occasionally. With a bit of tweaking and modernizing, I could easily see the earliest comics working well as an animated series. The stories are pretty episodic as is, and if they updated it to be in, say, 2000, then we could have modern trappings without things like mobile phones breaking the stories wide open.

Just a thought.

That is one place I differ from most people I know in that I've not got into any of things I like because of my parents or even my brother. That's not to say my parents are bad, 'cos they are brilliant it's just that they never steered me in any real direction. They just let me make my own choices about things. In some ways it's a shame as there's not a lot of likes we all have in connection.

My dad and my mom and my sister tried to steer me towards things but I always gravitated in my own direction.

Although my mom's tastes in television and movies are really similar to mine (that's pretty much just coincidence though, since I only found out she liked a lot of the things I like in the past few years).

Nobody else in my family or anyone I know IRL really digs comics. I started reading because I watched Avengers and then my brain kicked into overdrive and suddenly I had to read everything related and become an expert. So I read every Hulk comic on Marvel Unlimited. And now I'm filling in the blanks.

Let me tell you, in the near future, I will have read every Hulk comic ever written. Actually, more accurately, every Hulk *appearance* ever written.

Also, comics are by no means the first form of media in which this has happened to me. I tend to become an overnight expert in a lot of things. Sadly, none of them are useful. It's like my superpower, I remember useless things so you don't have to!

Aha, ditto on watching Avengers and then starting to read the comics. I'm a little but embarrassed about it though because I have a thing about staying away from hype-y things, and at that time Avengers and all things Marvel were definitely very hype-y. Then there's the whole stigma about jumping on the bandwagon, not being a "real fan" and all that. My friend who is more open-minded and less caring about those kind of things got me interested though.

The very dashing Tom Hiddleston may have also helped in a way

I only really like reading stuff with the Asgardians, though. Probably has alot to do with me soaking up all the myth from a game I used to play way back, thus making following some things a little easier than understanding a story/character from scratch.

Also I was very pleasantly surprised when I found out that Marvel comics, at least, are really alot less serious than I had anticipated and don't really require alot of long-time understanding of the plots to just dive into. They kind of remind me of fanfictions, in a way. If all fanfics were canon and stuff, y'know. The writing still feels a little weird to me, like theres too much sometimes. But coming from someone who primarily reads webcomics and being used to weekly if not daily updates, it's probably more to do with the usual month-long wait between issues that makes it seem that way.

Yeah, I may be a newbie, but I'm really good at seeming like an old hat from all the stuff I know. I've read about 800 Hulk comics (actually, this is probably wrong. Pretty sure I've read waaaaay more than that), 1000 Iron Man comics, ~300 Captain America comics, all of the Deadpool comics, and a few Howard the Duck comics.

It's amazing how that sort of collection gives you a pretty solid idea of how the universe works.

And yes, I did this in the last year.

She-Venom is extremely basic. It's the Marvel female body with Venom's face plastered on it. Mania- I'm not a fan of all the spikes. It's just a basic, boring way to give her outfit flair. How do I know that? Because I could have come up with that design, and I balk when someone else goes for the same design decisions I would go for.

Scream is a gorgeous design with beautiful colors. I would want to see more of that character based on her design. And I like the 90s look. I like the massive unkempt hair.

Scream looks like what would happen if the 90's threw up.

Well, I mean, she first appeared in '93. Yeah, things from the 90s tend to have aesthetics that were popular in the 90s, that's to be expected. I personally like it. I really, really like 90s comic art. Yeah it has its ticks and some of them can be exaggerated, or blatantly exploited, or get done badly, but that's true of any decade's art. In general I like 90s comic art because this was a period of really crazy experimentation, where comics had an artist focus and it lead to some really cool stuff.

I was hardcore into Spider-Man and Marvel back in the day. I remember getting a subscription to Spider-Man just as the whole cloning saga was starting up. I was not so much into DC. Unless you counted DC's animated shows. Batman and Superman had darn good TV content. I've lost track with things since the 90's. Periodically I see some stuff at Barnes and Noble. I had seen Flash Thompson had gotten the venom suit and thought it might be kinda cool. I didn't realize there was a new female venom now too. Is anti-Venom still or thing? What about Dock-Ock taking over Spidey's body? Is that still going on? And the X-Men had control of the Phoenix Force for a while? I am so out of the loop I don't think I could ever get back into comics and stuff. It's neat hearing about the way things go from time to time however.

I dunno. As someone who literally just started reading comics last year, it hasn't been that hard. Of course, I'm not really caught up yet... and I'm one of those crazy people who can and will read every single comic every published. And remember them all.

Wow! Just read the new issue of Superior, and Dan Slott's writing just pulled the kind of continuity-building turn that I really really like. Alchemax from the 2099 timeline has been linked to Horizon Labs via a merger with the company owned by Liz Allan. Anyone super deep into Spider-Man continuity would realize how much of a loop this throws things for, and how much this DIRECTLY links the 2099 timeline with the 2013 events. It's anyone's guess what is going to happen to the 2099 timeline, or what's going to happen to Miguel O'Hara now that he's in 2013. This is exciting!

I had seen Flash Thompson had gotten the venom suit and thought it might be kinda cool. I didn't realize there was a new female venom now too.

Rick Remender's run with the Flash Thompson Venom is masterpiece-quality stuff. He is by far the greatest comic writer currently active in the industry.

Is anti-Venom still or thing?

Anti-Venom is dead, and Brock later fused with a symbiote named Toxin.

What about Dock-Ock taking over Spidey's body? Is that still going on?

Yes! That's what the current Superior Spider-Man series is about! It just hit 17 issues, and it's double-shipped(two per month).

And the X-Men had control of the Phoenix Force for a while?

I'm a bit out of the loop from X-Men, but the recent thing is that Cyclops killed Professor X while under the thrall of the Phoenix Force during Avengers vs X-Men, so my guess is they're not controlling it now.

So, a friend of mine got me a Marvel graphic novel based on a character none of us had ever heard of.

KILLRAVEN

n85Ly4B.jpg

eQzKzkw.jpg

The back features beautiful noir-ish art similar to Frank Miller's style.

h9de0ep.jpg

The interior artwork is pretty, with bright, psychadelic colors for the main alien landscapes and an occasional switch to black and white to jump into a short bit of realism for anything having to do with Earth. It's a great contrast, especially for scenes like this one, where Killraven psychically remembers the Kennedy assassination. At one point, Earth art uses a collage of real images with comic art drawn around them. That's neat. The story is somewhat exploitative, with a breast shot and a quick shot of gore.

Spectacular Spider-man, as a concept, was always appealing to me, but I've heard mixed things about its execution. I'm not sure how much of that is from people just reacting poorly to things being switched up, though.

Spectacular Spider-man, as a concept, was always appealing to me, but I've heard mixed things about its execution. I'm not sure how much of that is from people just reacting poorly to things being switched up, though.

Spectacular? The old comic series? The cartoon? Or do you mean Superior, the new thing with the Doc Ock mind swap?

Spectacular? The old comic series? The cartoon? Or do you mean Superior, the new thing with the Doc Ock mind swap?

Haha, yes, Superior Spider-Man. Though, on that note, Spectacular Spider Man was Spectacular.

Haha, yes, Superior Spider-Man. Though, on that note, Spectacular Spider Man was Spectacular.

I'm not a fan of the cartoon.

Superior Spider-Man, on the other hand, is among the series I'm following month-to-month. I'm really, really enjoying it, and it seems to me like Dan Slott has a lot of love and understanding of the Spider-Man mythos and what the major underpinnings are of the Spider-Man universe.

I feel like the people who DON'T like Superior are split into a few camps:

-People who come into media and attach to CHARACTERS well over the themes and larger structure of the stories, to the point that association with characters far outweighs anything else in the larger structure of the narrative

-People who do not like to see "bad guys" win

-People who conflate "winning" with heroism

-People who don't really understand Spider-Man's narrative structure or history

-People who really liked the JMS run in the mid-2000s seem to disproportionately hate this run

-People who've never read a comic in their life but, hey, want to be part of the outrage(this is a weird group)

People who actually read it don't seem to have much against it in my experience. It's a fantastic series written by somebody who really deeply understands Spider-Man and what it means to be a Spider-Man story. I read "better" books, definitely, but Superior is the fun book I look most forward to reading every month.