Sign in to follow this  
Alcoremortis

The Spectacular Marvel Super-Thread

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about Spectacular Spider-Man? I thought it was a very well realized version of Spider-man that drew from the best elements of all his incarnations.

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about Spectacular Spider-Man? I thought it was a very well realized version of Spider-man that drew from the best elements of all his incarnations.

Spectacular Spider-Man was a series I really really wanted to like. They brought in a lot of stuff that isn't adapted much, things like the Spider-beacon, Gwen as the love interest, the inclusion of Liz Allan, the adaptation of The Enforcers, and the fact that they generally spend some time with a villain's "civilian persona" before they finally oust the "evil villain" bit.

Now, context:

I'm a massive, massive Spider-Man fan. Spidey is my favorite superhero, he's the one I most identify with, he's the one I feel is the easiest to root for and understand. I've been reading Spider-Man since I was five. Spider-Man is so intrinsically linked to my love of comics that after One More Day I stopped reading comics, PERIOD, for a number of years out of sheer distaste and depression. I have certain very strong standards when it comes to my Spider-Man stories and I'm hyper-sensitive about Spider-Man in general. I hated the movies and the MTV series, and while it's by far the best adaptation so far the 90s cartoon bothers me in major ways when it comes to adapting certain elements.

That out of the way...

First of all, Spectacular is NOT adapting "all eras". This is a stab at Ditko Spider-Man, plain and simple. We shift things back in time from later, like Gwen Stacey and Eddie Brock, but make no mistake, this is the first piece of adapted media to really try and do the Steve Ditko Spider-Man era.

Secondly, I hate the look of it. I hate hate hate hate hate the character designs. I hate the weird angles, I hate the hyper-simplifed faces, I hate way the series handles eyes, I hate the way everything looks. Everything is FLAT and simple, and nothing looks like any era of Spider-Man anyone's ever seen. Stylistically this is very similar to "The Batman", which I also hated to look at.

Third: Everything has been simplified in the story, too. All the stories are simpler, more "High School Problems" cartoon versions of their original incarnations, which is especially bad considering many of these stories DID occur when Peter Parker was in highschool!

It's just...it feels like a bad cartoon. It doesn't feel special or particularly better in any way. Nothing makes it stand out or work, other than "Wow, I didn't expect them to try and adapt that thing". Batman: TAS had its great gothic noir visual style, Spider-Man's 90s cartoon looked JUST like Gil Kane art come to life, Justice League(especially Unlimited) has the benefit of scale, The Maxx and Spawn have edge and an adherence to the source material verging on zealotry. Spectacular...doesn't really have anything?

I don't know, I liked the look of The Batman, but hated the way Spectacular Spider Man looked. The animation felt super awkward to me too. I remember the 90's Spider Man and X-Men cartoons having stiff, slow animations, and they did the same with this series for some reason.

It's only because you're a pile of kittens. Don't worry, the kitten phase, too, shall pass.

Cool. Thanks for the info on things Rather Dashing. Superior Spider-Man has been pretty good then, huh? I only read 1 or 2 issues of it. Seemed like it was doing some pretty neat stuff.

I actually just came across my old collection of Marvel trading Cards the other night. They reminded me of just how much I think Mark Bagley is my definitive artist for Spider-Man. He did alot of work from when I was really into the comics too, so maybe that influences my view on things. It's so darn good. His style seems to have changed when I saw some of his work on Ultimate Spider-Man. I wasn't feeling it as much. But gosh darn, mid 90's Bagley is top-tier stuff. I also liked I also really love Sal Buscema's work. I still remember the first Spider-Man comic I ever bought had art by him - Spectacular Spider-Man #200

I thought the Spectacular Spider-Man TV show was rather good. Much better then I was originally expecting it to be. It was nice to see that they weren't afraid of doing overarching storylines. The art-style certainly seems to be a either Love It or Hate It factor with people. When it dealt with action and things in motion, the style helped to make things smooth and animate well. As much as I loved the 90's Spider-Man cartoon show if you look back at it now, the animation was rather poo-poo. I still remember feeling a bit bummed out that as the show went on, only the first episode had some really smooth motion in it. Sure it's not on the same level as Batman The Animated Series or some other great shows in the past. But considering the current situation of super-hero TV shows, it was fine in my book.

Spectacular Spider-Man also seems to be head and shoulders above what Marvel is doing now with the new Ultimate Spider-Man show. I tried watching a few episodes, and it seems like they took Family Guy style A.D.D. humor and infused it into things. I'd think I'm more partial to a stronger emphasis on storytelling rather then humor that Spectacular had.

The recent show I've enjoyed most is absolutely Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes. It's got this weird anime art style, which doesn't quite jive, but the humor was dead on. No plot arcs, but as a "monster of the week" style of show, it worked pretty well. And the She-Hulk and Ant-Man episodes had me laughing almost non-stop.

I thought the Amazing Spider Man movie was better then the last 3 but not a memorable movie. Hell all I can remember is the bits that pissed me off.

amazing-spiderman-lizard2.jpg

Miz+Really.gif

I'm only surprised he didn't put his home address, bank account information, and social security number on there.

That's from Amazing Spider-Man #699, yep.

It is a reference to a story arc that started in Amazing Spider-Man #130:

62H4gEs.jpg

in which Doc Ock tried to marry Aunt May because she'd inherited a power plant.

...not one of Spidey's better stories.

Yeah, if you're going to have Aunt May marrying someone, she should marry Thanos.

Galactus obviously she can save billions by feeding him cookies.

Comic books are pretty stupid.

I heard an anectdote about a movie with a really dumb plot point once.

Wow, film as a medium is stupid.

It was joke guys. Sorry. Next time I'll just post pictures without saying anything. Big Bang Theory is pretty dumb though. Unlike comic books, it's not dumb and good.

It was joke guys.

YOUR JOKE RELIED ON BAD IDEAS ABOUT COMIC BOOKS. THIS WOULD NOT WORK FOR OTHER MEDIUMS WHICH DO NOT SHARE THE SAME BIAS(FOR REASONS NOT ROOTED IN LOGICAL THINKING).

THE JOKE MERELY AFFIRMS AN UNTHINKING AND BAD BIAS ABOUT ENTERTAINMENT AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD ABOUT IT.

I just thought we were starting a new forum game relying on making fun of bits of media through comically inept generalizations.

I just think most things in general are pretty fucking stupid. Doesn't mean they're not good.