Sign in to follow this  
Alcoremortis

The Spectacular Marvel Super-Thread

You guys didn't really think Marvel was always going to be on a roll, didja?

One thing that is bothering a lot of critics is because the character Danny Rand is a white guy. 

Edited by Noname215

I don't get the criticism in the part of this Rand character. I've never read any Iron Fist comics, but isn't the comic character a blond white guy? I've not watched any of the Marvel tv shows at least yet, but I get this feeling Marvel is scraping the bottom of the barrel to pick the characters especially since I've never heard of characters like Jessica Jones, Luke Cage or Danny Rand.

Edited by Kolzig

This character of Iron Fist popped up 40 years ago, not one word about racism or anything like that in all that time up until now. Marvel and Netflix pretty much just followed the comic book as it was written, yet for some reason that's a bad move. 

The whole thing reeks of SJW.

Jeph Loeb said the reason they kept Iron Fist white is to make him be like a fish out water, a guy finding himself among a culture he doesn't belong to.

Edited by Noname215

I'm gonna give it a watch when it comes out and judge it for myself.

Edited by Noname215

There's also been a lot of criticism of the lead actor, who's apparently been rather miscast (and can't really fight, which isn't great for a supposed superior martial artist).

Why don't they just give us Daredevil season 3 because that's what is truly needed.

I'm watching it, but I'm watching it with a friend and so we won't get around to it until Sunday.

Now I'm about 9 episodes in. I don't understand why everyone is crapping on this series, I accept that it is flawed and dragged a bit in those first few episodes, but I nevertheless am enjoying it.

I wish they would have kept the tradition of keeping the original costume...just for this one super hero. Change everything else, just keep this one. Forever.

AFAIK the Sam Raimi film costume is the only one to remain authentic to the comics, which as I've understood it has never changed.

3 hours ago, Noname215 said:

It changed briefly during Civil War. The comic event, not the movie.

If Dashing were here, he would tell you in great detail every change that Spider-Man's costume has undergone and also that the removal of the curly "t" from "the" on the cover almost made him stop reading comics last year. He could also tell you the precise issue that the webbing was designed to it's modern form (it used to just be a line, now it's lots of lines) and how Superior Spider-Man's facial webbing is designed to make him look angrier.

Basically, there's been loads of changes.

And yeah the homecoming suit is the closest to the original comic one. Raimi had all of the webbing come to a point above Spider-Man's nose, this one has it come to a circle, like the comics. And it also has the smaller spider on the front, unclear whether or not there's one on the back yet. Aaaand... I'm not versed in Spider-Man's costume enough to say more than that.

Edited by Alcoremortis

Remember how I brought up in the Batman thread how my goddaughter sometimes raids my comic collection when I'm not looking?

This time I caught her reading Old Man Logan. More tears.

In my head I always saw Robert Englund as the Vulture. But I dig Michael Keaton enough to still like the casting.

I didn't like either of the other Thors but that looks awesome.

Shame that big reveal moment is ruined at the end, but perhaps you know it's coming in the film proper at that point...

I think it's been part of the promotion for awhile that

Hulk is in this movie

, so I knew it was coming even though they showed it.

Edited by TimeGentleman
spoiler tags!

Eh, I don't think that knowing who is in the movie is a spoiler. I mean, the actors names are on the posters and everything. Nobody's gonna look at Chris Hemsworth's name and wonder who he's playing in this Marvel movie.

Then again, there were people on GAF who were so pissed at someone mentioning that Thanos was in Guardians of the Galaxy that it turned into a forum wide "Thanos is in this" meme, where for a short while every thread title contained Thanos.