• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
Alcoremortis

The Spectacular Marvel Super-Thread

Zasie Beetz as Domino looks like something out of a Pam Grier blaxploitation movie. I dig it.

IMG_2790.JPG

Trailer for The Punisher after the episode 8 end credits

Edited by Noname215

I loved the Agent Carter series, but the United States really got the short end of the stick when it came to home releases.  All that the US received was an Amazon exclusive Blu-Ray of season one that was ridiculously overpriced, and it received no season two home release.

I ordered the European Blu-Rays of season one and season two from Amazon, and was pleased to find out they're region free. :D

Man, I am so stoked for Black Panther. It looks fantastic and they keep teasing us with those Wakanda glimpses!

I'm hoping for some quality John Wick style gunfights in The Punisher.

Anyone else watching The Inhumans? 

http://imdb.com/title/tt4154858/

I've watched a few episodes through the streaming service of my cable+internet provider, and I'm not sure what to think of it yet.

It's certainly very different from the Netflix shows, but I do enjoy a lighthearted flick every now and then, so it might still be enjoyable. 

I'm kind of surprised it's a Marvel series though. It seems to have much lower production values than the other series and movies. 

I've been kind of turned off by bad reviews that Inhumans has been getting... though Iron Fist was also bashed just as much, and while it definitely wasn't the best Marvel Netflix show, it wasn't as bad as people were claiming it was (plus it was helped a lot by The Defenders, which fleshed out a lot more about the Iron Fist mythology and the character of Danny Rand).

I'll likely give it a shot once the season is over and I can binge watch all the episodes.

Just got back from Thor: Ragnarok. 

I'll wait until some of you guys see before I say anything in the way of review, but hot damn did it make great use of Led Zeppelin.

I just saw it as well. Wew, Marvel has been killing it with these. I mainly hope this means I will get to see more big budget Taika Waititi films in the future because I most definitely like.

I haven't seen Thor: Ragnarok, but I'm looking forward to watching it. I never liked Thor as a character in the comics, but I like the films so far. I'm one of the few that actually liked Thor: The Dark World better than the original Thor.

As I alluded to above, I also liked Iron Fist, although I watched it at a point when I could watch Defenders immediately afterward, which helped make me like Iron Fist a lot more since the A plot of Defenders is basically Iron Fist Season One Part II. It managed to explain the immortal Iron Fist a lot better, revealed more of what happened to the mystical city of K'un-L'un after Danny left, and revealed why the Hand was able to bring people back to life.

Jessica Jones was my favorite character in The Defenders. How can you not like her sarcastic comments aimed at Matt Murdock, and especially Danny Rand? Plus, the elevator scene was awesome. It shows she's even more powerful than she lets on, and really makes me excited for Jessica Jones Season Two.

But, thinking about it, the B plot of The Defenders was basically Daredevil Season Two Part II. Out of the four of them, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage really needed the least explanations out of all of the shows, so it makes sense that the plot would focus mostly on Danny and Matt. Luke Cage's origins were well laid out in the first season of his show. Basically all that was left on a cliffhanger in that season was how Luke would get out of prison, which isn't really even a big deal, wasn't at all unexpected when it happened in Luke Cage's show, and was resolved in less than five minutes in The Defenders. We don't know a lot about Jessica before Kilgrave, and know nothing about how she got her powers, but that's more suited to be shown in Jessica Jones Season Two because it likely has nothing, or at least very little, to do with The Hand.

I also finally watched the first episode of Inhumans finally, since as I said above I was avoiding it due to all the bad press it got. The special effects of Lockjaw and Medusa are amazing, and the storyline isn't even almost as bad as people said it was. If I actually did watch that when it was in IMAX theatres, I wouldn't have been disappointed at all.

I'm so behind on the Netflix shows. I just don't have that expendable time anymore, now that I've restricted all TV to Sunday evenings for three hours.

Iron Fist's biggest problem was the fight scenes. They seemed repetitive. Even the Drunken Master one.

Yeah, along with being slow and meandering, the fights were a big problem for the show. I appreciate that they're meant to show Danny flowing through them, all "internal energy", but it does mean that they lack any weight and the direction doesn't manage to compensate for it a lot of the time. A show I've been really impressed by the fights in is Into The Badlands. They obviously put a lot of budget into having enough time to shoot the fights properly.

The Blade rights have been back with Marvel since 2012, apparently, so they certainly could bring him back. I wonder if they're holding off because they feel the Snipes version is still too firm in the public consciousness, or if the vampire stuff doesn't fit in to their MCU. (I wonder also if they will ever do a standalone hero movie now that isn't planned to tie it into their larger plotline at some point?)

I always hated when directors use a bunch of camera movement to compensate for an actor's poor fighting skills like here. I mean come on. Do like Jackie Chan: plant the camera, shoot in a wide angle, choreograph, and let 'er rip. It's better filmmaking.

The Blade rights have been back with Marvel since 2012, apparently, so they certainly could bring him back. I wonder if they're holding off because they feel the Snipes version is still too firm in the public consciousness, or if the vampire stuff doesn't fit in to their MCU. (I wonder also if they will ever do a standalone hero movie now that isn't planned to tie it into their larger plotline at some point?)

I don't think Snipes affects it all that much. I mean, Affleck did a crap Daredevil movie and they still went ahead with the Netflix show. And then you had Thomas Jane doing The Punisher. They could pull off a Netflix show for Blade like they did with the other two. Get Common or something. Because I really like how the shows all seem to have their own individual tone (Jessica Jones with film noir, Luke Cage with neo-blaxploitation, etc.) and if they decided to do horror, then that would be kickass.

Edited by Noname215

They could always have a different division of Disney distribute a Blade film, if they didn't want it to be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, like they did with Big Hero 6.

8 hours ago, Tiny Dust! said:

Thor Ragnarok was really good.

Taika is one of my favourite directors right now.

So I'm hearing rumours that Disney might buy out Fox and acquire the Deadpool and X-Men IP. A lot of people are worried that there won't be another R rated super hero movie again.

Fox will never let those IPs go. Look at how much money Deadpool and Logan made.