Sign in to follow this  
Alcoremortis

The Spectacular Marvel Super-Thread

And Agents of SHIELD got renewed for a sixth season! 

xD

I may be the only person really excited about this.

So I guess we're pre-emptively including Deadpool in the Marvel thread...

Really enjoyed the first film. The tone, structure and action were all surprisingly well-considered, and although the comedy wasn't particularly sharp, it was charming.

Second one is disappointing. The plot was really tight on the first one, but here it's all over the place. And it has that comedy sequel problem of mainly just redoing a ton of jokes from the first one. Also, I was annoyed that 

Spoiler

they fridged Vanessa. Apparently there was a mid-credits scene where he brings her back to life using time-travel and stuff, but I missed that and besides it doesn't change the fact that the movie suffers for it. 

Eh, 

Spoiler

They literally fridged her in the first one. As in, she was literally inside a fridge.

I enjoyed it, particularly all the Domino stuff, which was amazing. I was also a fan of Colossus and his big action sequence.

As far as plot... it felt like a Deadpool comic plot. Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing really depends on how you stand on the comics.

Spoiler

Literally putting her in a fridge is not the same as figuratively fridging her, so I don't see how that's relevant. Plus, are you talking about the thing they held her in at the end? Wasn't that the torture pod they used on Wade? No refrigeration there as far as I can remember anyway - just oxygen-deprivation.

I've never read any Deadpool comics except for one where he kills the Marvel universe or something - I think I needed to be more of a Marvel reader to appreciate that one. So I'm coming to these purely as a film viewer and felt the plot was messy - it jumps around a lot and doesn't have time to give much character to Cable or the various villains.

Spoiler

It was a joke. But she was never really much of a character beyond being a general motivating factor for Deadpool.

I guess that's fair though AFAIK there isn't really much more to Cable. He's a grimdark brooding nineties character who is so extreme it becomes comical. I guess I didn't feel there were any gaping holes that I needed filled there. Sure the villains didn't get a ton of screentime, but I didn't really feel like their motivations were unclear.

On 5/14/2018 at 11:38 PM, Alcoremortis said:

And Agents of SHIELD got renewed for a sixth season! 

xD

I may be the only person really excited about this.

Nope, you're not the only one. I am too since I really enjoyed the last couple of seasons of the show since they went with the pod format where each half season told a different story. That's why I'm not too worried about the shorter season either since it will be just like one of the pods of the last few years.

I'm just kind of worried about where they'll go with Phil Coulson. I know I'm probably in the minority, but I hope that they'll just let him be. The end of the last season made it so that the younger SHIELD team are now running things, so I hope that will be the status quo from here on out.

Oh, and I don't know if anyone here is part of the Marvel Insider program where they give you points for visiting pages in the Marvel website, downloading and finishing games, partaking in surveys, etc. But, if you are, I just redeemed some of my points for Genndy Tartakovsky's Cage! If you connected your Comixology account to your Marvel account, any comic that you redeem from Marvel using your Marvel Insider points will be added to your Comixology account as well. :)

So after two months of taking my kids through the MCU (and the Spiderman/Amazing Spiderman movie series) I've got to say I'm a Marvel fan now. I used to always prefer DC. I still prefer Batman above all other superheroes, and Superman is better than Captain America, but man is the Marvel lore fascinating. I've been blissfully unaware. I did watch the Silver Surfer cartoon from 1998 which only had 1 season and incredibly bad voice acting, but really gripping stories. I never knew how cohesive the Marvel universe was. I had seen the first few Marvel movies but I just wasn't interested in really keeping up with it. The first one I really liked was Guardians of the Galaxy so that was probably the first big hook. Going back through from the beginning gave me a new appreciation and after watching Infinity War in theaters last week with the family for my son's birthday, I really want to dig into it even more. I'm chomping at the bit for more MCU movies (especially after being immensely disappointed with Star Wars of late). My wife is also really into Agents of Shield. Don't really want to get caught up in the shows, but I don't think it's necessary anyway. I just keep hearing that Marvel TV shows pale in comparison to DC TV shows and I think DC TV shows aren't that fantastic (besides Smallville I guess).

But yeah, Batman still rules all.

Agents of SHIELD is really good and well worth the time commitment, though the first half of the first season is a bit hard to get through. It picks up majorly at the back half of season 1 and never slows down.

I've also really been enjoying Runaways, but partly because a huge portion of it was filmed at my high school.

I've now got access to Runaways, and I loved the original run, but I heard the show was pretty terrible. Worth a shot?

Sony's new animated Spider-Man movie looks pretty sweet (warning, this trailer spoils a ton of character reveals):

So, I think for Runaways your mileage may vary. 

It's a slow burn, but the kids are all decent actors and I thought the mystery was engaging. Just don't expect them to actually do much running away this season.

Then again, Runaways has extensive shots of my high school, so I'm probably biased because I was really rooting for the architecture.