Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Alcoremortis

The Spectacular Marvel Super-Thread

I don't even know.

Kinda curious to see where this all goes, though. Waid wrote a great story with another premise that I hated when I first heard about it, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one as well. He won't just do the dumbest thing possible and leave it at that.

Has anyone here played The Ultimate Spider-Man game on PS2? Honestly, either that or Spider-Man 2 is my favourite Spider-Man game (Not counting Lego Marvel since that's generally Marvel) I liked how the focus was shifted onto comic storylines and having a art style to match the comics. Although I don't like that you have to collect tokens to be able to progress the story, wishing they would have just made that a optional thing to do after completing story mode.

I played it for a bit. Seemed to play a lot like Spider-Man 2, which I'd just finished and was kind of burned out on, so I didn't play a lot of Ultimate, but it seemed good from what I got to see.

Shame the plot was made non-canon though. :(

It does play a lot like Spider-Man 2 so I can understand how you can feel burned out right after finishing Spider-Man 2 although if you ever get the chance, I'd say give it another shot, because it is one of the better Spider-Man games. I never managed to finish it though, I got up to the Electro fight and could never beat him although that was years ago so I should play through it again and give it another shot to try beat him.

So I saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier last weekend. I found it entertaining- but not as much as everyone else it seems. And what was up with Garry Shandling's cameo? I thought he was supposed to be comic relief or a red herring like Ben Kingsley in Iron Man 3. Good for him though. Perhaps this is now a trend for new Marvel movies, and we may see Larry David or Jerry Seinfeld as future villains.

Anyways, CA:TWS was definitely action packed. And Scarlet Johannson kicked ass as Black Widow. I'm probably just being overcritical, but I was expecting more after the Avengers and the second Thor movie. The important thing though was that my girlfriend liked it a lot (more than me anyways). She even knew what the end teaser was about when I didn't have a clue.

As far as I know she's never read any of the Marvel comics but I'm guessing she read somewhere about the Scarlet Witch. It's been a long time since I read Marvel comics, and when I did I didn't follow Avengers that closely. I find it funny that the Avengers films can't even mention the word "mutant" as it infringes upon the X-Men franchise which 20th Century Fox has the rights to. I mean they're both Marvel IP! Anyhow- I thought the next Avengers was going to be about Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet, but Age of Ultron does sound pretty cool.

Whatever it is- I am super psyched for X-Men: Days of Future Past. I think that one's going to be awesome.

And what was up with Garry Shandling's cameo?

Garry Shandling was reprising his role as Senator Stern from Iron Man 2.

In Iron Man 2, he was the man in congress that was spearheading the US government's attempts to obtain the Iron Man technology from Tony Stark. Because he does the whole "Hail HYDRA" thing here, it shows that he was working as a HYDRA agent during that entire movie. It ties Winter Soldier into Iron Man 2 while justifying Tony Stark's refusal to share the Iron Man tech, since it would have ended up with HYDRA.

Ah- totally forgot that he was in Iron Man 2. Wasn't that big of a fan of #2 at the time, but perhaps if I see it now I'll look past whatever faults it may have had. I do remember Larry Ellison, the CEO of Oracle, being in it as that guy likes to think he is the real life Iron Man. Pssht- whatever. I mean I always figured the inspiration for Tony Stark was Howard Hughes but that's just me. And if you're curious about that person- go check out the movie The Aviator (2004). Great movie.

Ah Wednesday, the best day of the week.

NEW COMICS RELEASE DAY!

Today I picked up:

B2uw2sX.jpg

Original Sin is set to be Marvel's next big line-wide "Event Comic".

Except, like the concept for the event itself, Original Sin #0 is impressive in how small and personal it is.

Oh, sure, it has the Avengers fighting an awakened God and trips to the moon to meet a man who sees all things in all places, both in this Universe and in any other that might exist.

But, somehow, it's able to take all the crazy stuff and the insane scale of the story and find a way to make it feel very small and personal, with a hint of melancholy.

If this prelude indicates anything, Original Sin is shaping up to be something very special in terms of the line-wide comic book event, and I can't wait to read the next few issues.

For new readers, this book provides all the information you need to know about the two central characters(Kid Nova and Uatu the Watcher), while also providing a slightly tweaked and condensed version of Uatu's origin(first told in a mid-1960s issue of "Tales of Suspense). By using Kid Nova(a relatively fresh face in Marvel's cosmic superhero scene) to act as a "reader surrogate" character, new readers basically get caught up on who this guy is and WHY his murder is so significant going into Original Sin #1 where the story proper actually begins.

For long-time comics readers, this book provides a refresher on Uatu's origin story and a fresh spin on the question of why Uatu watches, and the answer is so simple and understated that it actually feels more significant.

I'm really loving this.

And I usually hate event comics, and I usually hate Kid Nova.

This comic sold me on two things I normally hate.

That's really impressive.

Plus, this splash page was SICK:

tOsWMJQ.jpg

Other than the Original Sin prelude, I also grabbed:

2qQC1JX.jpg?1

The final "Superior Spider-Man" book to hit the shelves.

The theme of New Comic Book Day for me this week seems to be small, personal, melancholy stories that lead into somebody's death.

This will be the last book I read starring Doctor Octopus, at least for a good long while.

But, if one of my favorite Spidey villains had to go out, he bowed his way out with a really good comic.

Continuing the story started in the previous issue(Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #11), we continue a flashback into a previously unseen interaction between Otto Octavius and Norman Osborn. The book provides a LOT of context to Otto's motivations, both through the 80s and 90s comics and up to and to the end of his most recent run as the Superior Spider-Man. It contains tons of smart observations about Norman Osborn under the effects of the Goblin Serum and Dr. Octopus as characters, what makes them fundamentally different, and retroactively explains a rivalry in a way that is simple and elegant.

This two-issue arc is actually shaping up to be one of my favorite Doctor Octopus stories, and I feel like it enriched just about every story about him prior to this one. It really is the best kind of story for long-running serial media like this, and it shows where long-running continuous continuity really is the strongest as a concept. Everything is both epic and personal, and it's extremely satisfying.

Also, the art in this book has this really "classic" look to it that fits its flashback status, with vintage-feeling pencils and colors paired with extremely bold panel layouts. This works together to make the book feel extremely fresh and vibrant, and it was a joy to read as a result.

RxjCcwb.jpg

Goodbye, Otto Octavius.

You will be missed.

:'(

Brian Bendis is writing the story for the new Disney Infinity update that will include Marvel Superheroes.

LG8dWdumQwo

So... I've been reading the Hulk series I never got to because I heard bad things about it. I feel like I should hate it because the story is fairly dumb and I'm not a fan of splitting up the Hulk/Banner dream team (just because Hulk is less interesting on his own).

But then I get something like this:

JXRXzyx.png

Free Comic book Day is on Saturday, which means FREE COMIC BOOKS.

Here's the link to find the participating shop closest to you.

Marvel in particular is giving out two books that you should keep your eye out for in your local comic shop:

NRNegdi.jpg?1

A Guardians of the Galaxy "A" story focusing on the new members of the team(Venom and Captain Marvel), with a "B" story that leads into Spider-Man's next big event...SPIDER-VERSE!

This is a GOLD-level book, which means ALL participating shops are going to be carrying it.

ph6ob0v.jpg

A Rocket Raccon one-shot!

Note that, other than supplying the cover, Skottie Young is not writing or drawing this particular book. Since Young is the guy writing and drawing the upcoming Rocket Raccoon comic series, this one-shot won't be a great preview of that book, but it should be fun nonetheless.

Brian Bendis is writing the story for the new Disney Infinity update that will include Marvel Superheroes.

Thanks, I needed another reason to avoid Disney Infinity.

But then I get something like this:

MUCH better dialog than I remember from that period of time.

FINALLY:

I picked up issue 1 of the new run of Amazing Spider-Man this past Wednesday.

It's a GREAT comic, though it makes NO effort to explain things to new readers, at ALL, and the comic's cover has a face that I simply didn't want to see staring at me from my comic box:

3HWk5Yt.jpg

...so, I bought a variant cover, that lines up nicely with another variant for Superior Spider-Man #31!

hgq54lD.jpg

First time I've ever bought a variant cover for anything, but it was worth it to NOT have that cover AND to have one that ties directly back to Superior.

So, as I was re-reading the Indestructible Hulk run, I think I've found a Tony Stark/Bruce Banner interaction that I'd kinda love to see on film.

Stark: "Banner, you lab hack! Now we're going to die because you, again, thought you were smarter than you are! All you've done is repeat history! We might as well be back in the desert at Gamma Base... How many lives did you ruin in one day then?"

Banner: "What? Just hold it, I can think my way out-"

Stark: "I'm the one who solves the problems by thinking, Banner! That's why the world loves me and I'm an Avenger! That's why I can work on building the future while you go crawling to SHIELD, selling out your dumb green muscles."

Banner: "Shut up."

Stark: "You think you have it under control? That's a joke. Within a year, I'll have to get the real heroes together again and shoot you back into space. Except this time, straight into the sun... loser."

Banner: "AGHHHHHH!" *hulks out*

I just saw Thor: The Dark World. This movie was amazing. I was sitting through it the whole time thinking, this is a solid 9 movie right here, and then the ending came and bumped it up to a 10 for me (and if you've read my blog, you know how hard it is for something to get a perfect score from me). They played the mischievous trickster Loki up so well in this movie, yet made it so that you surprisingly didn't hate the guy (well, you never trusted him, but like Thor, you never actually hated him either), despite the stuff he did in the last two movies he was in.

Well, up until the end of course. That's going to have consequences.

The humor was done well, the action was done well, the special effects were done well, the character building was done well, the acting was great (even the comic relief characters, which were properly used in moderation, and even they had character development), the sets and costumes were great, and the soundtrack was fantastic. It's just everything I like in movies, with nothing that I don't. :)

So, yeah 10 out of 10. :)

So, I finally managed to get this great scene from the Hulk Annual collection realized in digital form:

0ivuHxp.png

It's Tony Stark wearing a blanket over his armor because he just got punched in the face multiple times by Hulk and told his tech designs were uninspired by Banner.

One question about the X-Men comics..what the flying fuck was Battle of the Atom!? I mean

The bad future guys wanted the past X-Men to go back but the good future guys didn't?

Yeah.

The bad future guys were actually the future Brotherhood, and the past X-Men staying in the present was going to be a good thing (but bad for the Brotherhood), so they tried to stop that from happening.

Jeez, you're acting like this is complicated or something.

It's gonna suck. This much I know.

But then again, who am I to talk? I'm more excited for Gotham and Constantine.

Sign in to follow this