Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Alcoremortis

The Spectacular Marvel Super-Thread

I had a love/hate relationship with Elektra in that I felt that she was played well and had a good role for furthering drama... but at the same time, she was just so bad for Matt that I also wanted her to go away. But then she kinda redeemed herself in the last two episodes, so I dunno.

I loved her costume and I hope when she's back for season 3 at some point, she'll turn up as the redeemed version of her that I like.

Me and Daishi were pretty much the only guys in Telltale that openly liked Man of Steel.

I never watched Man of Steel, but I wouldn't be surprised if I like it too. It seems that for the most part people didn't like the characterization of Superman in it, as they felt that it didn't hold up to the comic version, but that never bothers me. I'm one of the few people who liked Spider-Man 3 and X-Men: The Last Stand as well.

Well, the reason I didn't like it was because there was it didn't earn any of big moments in the film. There wasn't enough character build up for any of the fights to feel tense or urgent and then the fights themselves were too jampacked with stuff for them to feel meaningful. The characterization Superman got was far too sparse to naturally lead to his actions which ended up with a movie that felt like he was fighting the bad guy because he was Superman and that's what Superman does, not because it made sense for his character.

BvS did this a lot better and also worse. BvS started with a great reason for Batman to want to fight Superman. In a five minute segment, Snyder came up with a scene that humanized Bruce Wayne, made him hate Superman, and showed the consequences of Superman's actions. And then instead of running with that, he walked all over that simple set-up with muddy boots and added in a lot of unnecessary stuff that muddled the motivations of the characters and also seemed dead set on letting us see less of them. I still like it more than Man of Steel, though, because I can see a good movie underneath all the trash, if only Snyder had resisted the urge to have a bad guy be responsible for everything.

So the new Spider Man movie is titled Spider-Man: Homecoming and might have Michael Keaton as the villain.

I hope it's about Spider-Man having to balance helping out Aunt May with getting ready for the Homecoming dance while stopping the serial purse-snatcher, The Vulture.

Purseonal stakes.

I hope it's about Spider-Man having to balance helping out Aunt May with getting ready for the Homecoming dance while stopping the serial purse-snatcher, The Vulture.

Purseonal stakes.

Well they did say that it would be like a John Hughes movie, so everything you just said I could see happening.

But if they're gonna do the Vulture, my first choice would have been Robert Englund

Awesome. I just finished Daredevil Season Two, and really liked Jon Bernthal's portrayal of the character. Plus, the way that Punisher exited the show in the finale is the perfect setup for the spin-off.

On that note, I also really liked Parting Shot, the episode of Agents of SHIELD where Bobbi and Hunter left the team. The situation made sense, it was a heartfelt goodbye, and it makes me really excited for the Bobbi and Hunter spin-off (honestly, I'm more excited for the spin-off than Agents of SHIELD season 4, although I'm still enjoying Agents of SHIELD).

I've also come to like Mack a whole lot more in this season of Agents of SHIELD than I did before. It's also pretty interesting how they're setting up a situation similar to Daisy's mom and Mr. Hyde with Daisy and Lincoln. Lincoln is nowhere near the level of crazy mad as Daisy's dad, but there's definitely a deliberate parallel there.

And I'm actually enjoying Hive a lot more than Grant Ward. It's interesting to see him cope with Ward's memories (as well as the memories of his other victims), but I really hope they don't bring back Ward in the end.

I hope that Agents of SHIELD season 4 ends with

finding a vaccine to Hive. They erase Hive out of Ward, leaving Ward as a total amnesiac but with huge array of insane martial abilities and he becomes Taskmaster.

Anyone else see Civil War? I thought it was pretty good I liked how well the conflict between Iron Man and Cap was.

I saw it at an advance screening a few weeks ago. I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Anyone else see Civil War? I thought it was pretty good I liked how well the conflict between Iron Man and Cap was.

I saw it at an advance screening a few weeks ago. I enjoyed the hell out of it.

It wouldn't matter if Iron Man's

mother was named Martha

I like how they took the comic's cover and applied it directly into the movie.

Badass flick.

Why did the Spider-Beacon have to be Stark tech? It's a FUCKING FLASHLIGHT.

I probably went into this movie with heavily skewed priorities(I've been thinking of it as "Spider-Man: Civil War" for awhile now), but wow was I disappointed by this movie, and I thought I walked in with fairly low expectations.

Why did the Spider-Beacon have to be Stark tech? It's a FUCKING FLASHLIGHT.

I probably went into this movie with heavily skewed priorities(I've been thinking of it as "Spider-Man: Civil War" for awhile now), but wow was I disappointed by this movie, and I thought I walked in with fairly low expectations.

Looks like we found the minority.

I probably have that beat. Outside of the X-men, I was never a Marvel fan growing up. The movies haven't won me over either. Some were okay, some were really bad. Anyway, I jumped ship after Captain America 2. I just really didn't care anymore. So... I'm the guy whom currently does read comics and has no interest in seeing this movie.

I know the story and I know they changed it all around so it centers on the specific characters that are known in this universe(X-men isn't off the hook, they're currently guilty of the same damn thing). So I don't really care. It might be a good movie. It just wouldn't be a good movie for me.

I know the story and I know they changed it all around so it centers on the specific characters that are known in this universe

It's more like they took the very rough idea of Tony Stark and Steve Rogers squaring off against each other while leading teams of heroes over the issue of government oversight and made an MCU movie out of that. They more or less brought nothing other than that elevator pitch over from the comics storyline, which is probably for the best, considering the original event was pretty terrible.

Oh, so it's a "least worst of" stand off between the new film, the original story and... Ultimate Alliance 2?

considering the original event was pretty terrible.

Well that's, like, your opinion, man.

To be honest I wasn't aware there were people that actually liked the original event. I thought it was common consensus that the event went on too long, made the pro-registration side out to be evil madmen ruled by Mecha-Hitler and Stretchy Goebbels, and that it was overall a big mess. Lots of people also really hate Spider-Man revealing his identity, but I actually enjoyed that part and all of the ramifications, but it wasn't enough to save the event.

To be honest I wasn't aware there were people that actually liked the original event. I thought it was common consensus that the event went on too long, made the pro-registration side out to be evil madmen ruled by Mecha-Hitler and Stretchy Goebbels, and that it was overall a big mess. Lots of people also really hate Spider-Man revealing his identity, but I actually enjoyed that part and all of the ramifications, but it wasn't enough to save the event.

It was a lot better than Identity Crisis.

Comparing it to the series that has been labelled as "ruined comic books" isn't winning me over here.

The villain this time around actually has a damn good reason for wanting revenge.

I honestly didn't read very much of the original event because it had an astounding lack of Hulk.

Which I thought was a shame because Banner could have been the poster child for both sides.

I honestly didn't read very much of the original event because it had an astounding lack of Hulk.

It's not that astounding, he wasn't even in the same galaxy at the time.

Sign in to follow this