Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Alcoremortis

The Spectacular Marvel Super-Thread

sLm1A2-Fr7s

Nobody in the world is as excited for this as I am.

I saw the trailer in the context of Sony's "E3 experience" in a theater, and was told by the person I went with that I started shaking when they said "Queens".

27379838530ccef720520ojpg-4851d6_765w.jpg

Holy shit this costume!

I've been spending the past hour or so freeze-framing the trailer at various spots to admire and study this thing. It's got so many things going on, integrated from past costume versions and wholly invented for itself. The large white logo is a really bold choice, one that I've never seen on a red-and-blue costume. The shoulder pads and armored sport gloves give the suit an athletic street sports look that isn't overly bulky. You've got the MCU eye lenses, the Amazing spider emblem on the back, a new spider emblem on the front(though it seems to be drawing a bit from the Raimi front emblem and the Ben Reily Spider-Man front emblem?). Red material has the same texture as in the MCU, and the webbing is more standard for modern comics Spider-Man.

Also, were those MISTER NEGATIVE'S goons in the trailer?!

uzFUPz7.jpg

6ngmNQw.png

MISTER NEGATIVE HAS LITERALLY NEVER BEEN IN ANYTHING EVER OH MY GOD THIS IS AMAZING.

I pretty much NEVER purchase super hero games, and I am kinda stoked by that spiderman trailer.

1) Insomniac is a well-known and much loved developer

2) They seem to actually fundamentally understand what makes spiderman awesome, whereas past games have been like "we know about web slinging! that's about it, though!"

I really, really, REALLY want this to be awesome.

My main concern though is that Insomniac's mostly known for shooters (and platformers, but that was years ago). They've not really done anything like Spider-Man, so I'm a little worried they might not get it right.

But then again, they've not let me down before, have they?

I really, really, REALLY want this to be awesome.

My main concern though is that Insomniac's mostly known for shooters (and platformers, but that was years ago). They've not really done anything like Spider-Man, so I'm a little worried they might not get it right.

But then again, they've not let me down before, have they?

Secret Agent Clank?

I'll forgive them for that one.

SAC wasn't them, it was High Impact Games, a company formed of former Insomniac employees.

I was actually referring to R&C: All 4 One, which doesn't suck as much, but still sucks.

SAC wasn't them, it was High Impact Games, a company formed of former Insomniac employees.

The less talented ones? xD

I'd say it's definitely on par with those.

I will say this, the side characters are amazing in Luke Cage. In Daredevil and Jessica Jones, there were always a few side characters who were really annoying or boring, but Luke Cage nails all of them. Killgrave still remains my favorite of the Netflix villains, but the ones in Luke Cage were really solid and well developed, so no complaints from me. 

Luke Cage is probably the most likable of the Netflix heroes, too. I guess it kinda goes along with being borderline invincible, but he's just such a chill dude.

Good to know. Now we get to see how Iron Fist turns out.

By the way, I think Jessica Chastain should play Sister Maggie and Richard Brake should play Bullseye in Season 3 of Daredevil. The main bad guy in The Punisher is probably gonna end up being either Jigsaw or Ma Gnucci, but get Dolph Lundgren for The Russian and we all go home happy.

Edited by Noname215

Yeah, this Luke Cage soundtrack might just be the best Marvel soundtrack, including movies. It just fit the tone so perfectly.

3 minutes ago, Alcoremortis said:

Yeah, this Luke Cage soundtrack might just be the best Marvel soundtrack, including movies. It just fit the tone so perfectly.

Compared to the soundtrack from GOTG?

Just saw the first episode. If Jessica Jones was a neo-noir psychological thriller, this is definitely neo-blaxploitation. I feel like if Jim Kelly was around today, this is the kind of thing he would do.

I think they're different kinds of good. GotG used lots of good songs and they largely served to lighten the tone of the movie.

Pretty much all the Luke Cage soundtrack served to enhance the tone of the show.

Edited by Alcoremortis

Well, I can hum the GotG score. I can actually hum most of the Marvel scores, and most other movie scores.

But I will also submit that I'm weird like that and tend to spend an inordinate amount of time making piano arrangements of anything and everything.

6 hours ago, Noname215 said:

I think DC has more memorable scores by far.

DC has the advantage of Hans Zimmer! The Wonder Woman theme heard in Batman vs Superman is so great. I saw an interesting video about why Marvel scores barely register in memory, and how it's a trend in modern films. I like it when soundtracks have themes you can sing. Notable contemporary examples are Murray Gold's work on Doctor Who, Blake Neely's in the DC television series, and John Williams' in The Force Awakens.

Edited by EMarley

4 hours ago, EMarley said:

DC has the advantage of Hans Zimmer! The Wonder Woman theme heard in Batman vs Superman is so great. I saw an interesting video about why Marvel scores barely register in memory, and how it's a trend in modern films. I like it when soundtracks have themes you can sing. Notable contemporary examples are Murray Gold's work on Doctor Who, Blake Neely's in the DC television series, and John Williams' in The Force Awakens.

Not just Hans Zimmer. They also had John Williams, Danny Elfman, and Steven Price.

I will admit I remember the licensed music from Suicide Squad but don't remember the actual score.

I quite liked the Avengers Theme by Silvestri. It's unfortunate that there weren't more iterations of it, but I thought it had a pretty strong base. It's also separate from the other Marvel themes in the sense that it actually does some slightly different stuff with chord structure instead of using the exact same three chords the others do. 

If there's any complaint I have about the Marvel scores, it's that the themes are very short and there's no secondary or tertiary themes so the middle is usually a jumbled mess that's very hard to turn into a piano arrangement. Also, they're all written in the same key, which makes them a bit harder to distinguish from each other, but is very nice if you want to make a medley of them. Someday, I'll have to upload this arrangement I made to youtube, which demonstrates how similar all these themes are.

I'm just thinking of Raider's March, which is probably one of the most solid themes ever written and how pretty much anyone not only knows the main theme, but also the secondary theme too, since it's strong enough that it could've been its own piece by itself.

Edited by Alcoremortis

I really hope they add She-Hulk to the MCU soon.  That's the one character I would love to play myself if I had the chance - although I'm sure whoever they go with will be a better choice. :P

Sign in to follow this