• Announcements

• Spaff

New Forum software & theme display issues   07/20/2017

The latest forum update has caused some readability issues with our themes!  This was unexpected, so might take a little bit of time to fix, sorry about that. I think we've fixed the main ones though. We could have a bunch of new features too, I just need to look at those and see what we have enabled etc. More on that soon! If you spot any issues or things we need to tweak, please post them here:   a
Sign in to follow this  
Darth Marsden

The Newly Regenerated Doctor Who Thread

I'm unsure if there was one before, but I noticed a rather startling lack of Doctor Who on this forum, so I sought to rectify this.

Don't know what Doctor Who is? Well, allow this handy dandy animated GIF to explain everything.

if+doctor+who+were+a+children+s+book.+feels.+feels+stahp_ce60ab_4148163.gif

I'm interested to see what Capaldi does with the part. I'm also surprised that I'm not horrible depressed that Smith is leaving. But I've always moved on fast with Doctors. At the end of his run I was mentally kicking Tennant out the TARDIS doors. But Smith has been my favorite of the Doctors in New Who so I'm surprised I'm not that sad to see him go.

I hope that the fact that we've got Capaldi in the part will mean that Moffat is putting away the bunny mittens he's been writing with and is prepared to actually do ballsy things with the series. I mean, seriously. The Sarah Jane Adventures had more adversity than the last season. I thought he was really getting down and dirty with the last episode, but then Clara didn't even end up stuck in the time stream.

It's like he just decided to cut all the edges off of the universe. For the kids.

When I was a kid, I would have been so pissed if this was how my entertainment was treated. Then again, I was the kid who loved Jurassic Park as their favorite movie.

I'll certainly be curious to see the relationship Capaldi has with Clara.

I can't imagine it being the same flirty sort of one that she and Matt Smith had. That'd just be weird,

Glad to see my old thread managed to re-materialise over here! Not even the Doctor could fix TTG now.

I'll certainly be curious to see the relationship Capaldi has with Clara.

I can't imagine it being the same flirty sort of one that she and Matt Smith had. That'd just be weird,

That weirded me out so much with 11 anyway. He's a married man! I've never been a big fan of flirty companions. That's what ruined Martha for me. And Amy.

Captain Jack can flirt with anyone though, because he's awesome.

Can I just say that as big a fan as I was of Moffat's episodes when Davies was running the show, and as much as I enjoyed Series 5. I have come to detest Moffat's direction with Doctor Who. The man routinely builds up impossible situations that you hope against hope he'll have an amazingly clever solution too and than the end of the arch comes around and he has to pull something out of his ass to hop out of the corner he's painted himself into. He's got a lot of great ideas and big ambition but he's lazy and his stories end up being unsatisfying.

Also stop making the companions lives revolve around the Doctor. Amy, River and now even Clara's very existence or at the least purpose in life is built in service to his character. You aren't making him a better character by doing this Moffat you're making his companions worse. I can only hope with Clara's big story of being the ultimate martyr in the Doctor's legacy that we can just let her be a normal girl now.

Also the Doctor's legend; he's practically the center of the universe by now. That's awful! The Doctor isn't amazing because he's the end all be all of everything that happens ever. He's amazing because he sticks his nose where he shouldn't and saves the day. He's a tourist who happens to regularly save lives and stop evil, not a messianic Truman Burbank!

Did you just reach inside my head and pluck out my thoughts?

I'd like to also add that I don't like the way episodes are structured now. 45 minutes simply isn't enough to tell a decent story, but that's all we get these days - there's no two-parters any more to let us take a break from the rushed stories and fully explore longer, more in-depth ones. You only need to look at how hopelessly mixed the last series has been to see proof of that.

I defended Moffat in Series 6 against my better judgement. But than he turned around with this Series and did it again. And when people criticize him he basically just rolls his eyes about it. So now I got a bone to pick with him.

I would enjoy it if they returned to regular two-part stories. Early on Davies did a lot of those to great effect. I do enjoy that some episodes can just be 45 minutes and tell a complete and satisfying story but others really could benefit from being given a bit more breathing room. Gaiman's Cybermen episode comes to mind. There was a lot of cool stuff in there and it felt like we barely got to explore most of it.

I'm going to go with a Mr. Plinkett reasoning on this one and say the reason why the newer seasons have sucked is because there's less murder. I mean, seriously! An episode where nobody died used to be a big fucking deal! What happened to "Just this once, everyone lives!"

Now, every episode, everyone lives. There's no tension in that. If you know that everyone will make it, it doesn't feel like it was that big of a threat and the Doctor looks less impressive for defeating it. The jokes aren't as funny when there isn't tragedy to compare it to and you feel less invested to the characters when you know everyone will be fine in the end. And when something tragic *does* happen, it's totally glossed over. RTD would have milked Amy and Rory's departure for two seasons. With Moffat, an episode they're completely forgotten and the story moves on.

I want Moffat to grow a pair and kill off some beloved characters. Or have George R.R. Martin be a guest writer. Or something.

Well, to be fair, the Doctor was really hurt and remorseful because of Amy and Rory's death all throughout the 2012 Christmas special. And, it would make sense that a mystery as big as a girl that is always the same although she's multiple people throughout time would take the Doctor's mind off his pain.

Well, to be fair, the Doctor was really hurt and remorseful because of Amy and Rory's death all throughout the 2012 Christmas special. And, it would make sense that a mystery as big as a girl that is always the same although she's multiple people throughout time would take the Doctor's mind off his pain.
But what about the Pond's babies being kindapped? They lost a child, and barely grieved. They were more than happy to jump back in the TARDIS with him, after he proved how destructive his life could be. If that was me, I'd seriously consider turning him down. I mean, travelling with the Doctor had already cost me my child. What if my husband was next?

I'm hoping they scrap the split season thing. Judging from the viewing figures last season, none of the reasons they gave for doing so in the first place really worked.

*edit*

5070_tn.jpg

I need this more than I need Oxygen.

Although that's probably because Oxygen is available in abundance and I don't really need to increase my access to it...

Also now this. Why must you treat my wallet with such disrespect?!

Screen+Shot+2013-09-06+at+17.28.12.png

Double post, but the anniversary episode has a name now. It's called "The Day of the Doctor" and is 75 minutes long. I did have a BBC article but they've deleted it. (the link I had just 404's now!)

Here's an article summing up the story from Doctor Who News.

The original article gave away what the BBC is doing for the 50th Anniversary by listing all the shows they're doing - including a repeat of An Unearthly Child on BBC4, a channel which still exists despite nobody ever watching it.

The amount of stuff that's on that day kinda makes me regret the fact that I won't have a TV license at that point.

Also, Matt Smith's wig looks pretty awesome. Much Better than McGann's ever did.

BTznyHEIEAALkMg.jpg

OMG! Coolsome's here!

Now the party can start.

tumblr_m7zkftFYwo1qbcftqo1_400.gif

As for a trailer, I'm expecting one next month. Either on the 23rd, or at MCM London Comic Con. Anyone going to that?

Youtuber Nerdcubed recently did an interview with Steven Moffat answering some of the more important questions like what was Amy's friend Jeff watching in the eleventh hour when the Doctor walks in on him...

Youtuber Nerdcubed recently did an interview with Steven Moffat answering some of the more important questions like what was Amy's friend Jeff watching in the eleventh hour when the Doctor walks in on him...

That was awesome!

This however is more awesome.

1173627_726654364015260_576092018_n.jpg

There is going to be a trailer of some description aired tonight around "Atlantis" on BBC One.

That was awesome!

This however is more awesome.

1173627_726654364015260_576092018_n.jpg

There is going to be a trailer of some description aired tonight around "Atlantis" on BBC One.

A bit disappointing really...