Sign in to follow this  
Darth Marsden

The Newly Regenerated Doctor Who Thread

So now there's essentially two immortal people travelling around in a stolen Tardis, one of whom is breaking the laws of the universe to exist.

I can't say I really liked that episode, but that's interesting at least.

They also never revealed who the hybrid is, but they gave three possibilities (two of which were already guessed):

1. Ashildr is the hybrid

2. The Doctor is the hybrid, and he really is half human, on his mother's side.

3. The hybrid isn't one person, but is two people, the Doctor and Clara

I'm actually hoping that it is two, as it was insinuated in exactly the same way that a lot of fans were talking about it over the years (

in that if he really were half-human, it would explain why he cares so much about Earth

). I'm really hoping they don't put the cork back in that bottle now that they've opened it back up.

Heaven Sent got me thinking if someone woke up in the same place repeatedly with no memory of being there would they do the exact same thing every time?

Heaven Sent got me thinking if someone woke up in the same place repeatedly with no memory of being there would they do the exact same thing every time?

If you went into the situation having suspicions beforehand of where you would find yourself, maybe. And, of course, over time the Doctor started making a dent in that harder-than-diamond wall, so that probably provided a clue, eventually.

On a different subject, I've noticed a pattern emerging. First, in The Doctor's Wife, the Doctor mentioned that the Corsair regenerated a couple of times as a woman. And then we find that the Master regenerated as a woman. And now we actually see a male Time Lord regenerate as a woman right in front of us (and whose first remark afterwards was that she was back to normal). There seems now to be a progression going on, with Moffat trying to gradually acclimate people to the idea of Time Lords not having a necessarily fixed biological sex. Of course, the people most in need of this will probably never get used to it, but my suspicion is that if Moffat is still the show-runner when it comes time to replace Capaldi he intends to have laid the groundwork to cast a female Doctor (if he finds the right actress) without causing too much of a fuss. If so, good on him, although maybe he's being a little overcautious about it.

I've always thought of the Valeyard as one specific regeneration, although I've never really understood what the Master was supposed to mean when he said that the Valeyard comes between the Doctor's penultimate and final regenerations. How would that work? I suppose now we could rationalize it as being something on par with the War Doctor, a regeneration in which the Doctor doesn't identify as "the Doctor."

I've always thought of the Valeyard as one specific regeneration, although I've never really understood what the Master was supposed to mean when he said that the Valeyard comes between the Doctor's penultimate and final regenerations. How would that work? I suppose now we could rationalize it as being something on par with the War Doctor, a regeneration in which the Doctor didn't identify as the Doctor.

It could be something like (or the) Meta Crisis a seperate being who counts as a regeneration.

I've always thought of the Valeyard as one specific regeneration, although I've never really understood what the Master was supposed to mean when he said that the Valeyard comes between the Doctor's penultimate and final regenerations. How would that work? I suppose now we could rationalize it as being something on par with the War Doctor, a regeneration in which the Doctor didn't identify as the Doctor.

It could be something like (or the) Meta Crisis a seperate being who counts as a regeneration.

If the Valeyard does end up being the Meta Crisis doctor, it would make sense too, as he’d be the 11th reincarnation, and one in between his penultimate and final incarnation (since the War Doctor is the 8th reincarnation, the 9th doctor is the 9th, the 10th doctor is the 10th, and the Meta Crisis doctor was created from the 11th, and the 11th was the 12th, or the final of his first reincarnation cycle.

It could also be the Dream Lord, as the Dream Lord first showed up in the 11th Doctor’s timeline, which was his last incarnation of his first regeneration cycle. It could possibly be a combination of the Meta Crisis Doctor and the Dream Lord, as the Dream Lord should exist within the Meta Doctor too, as he was a subconscious manifestation of the dark side of The Doctor. Maybe the Dream Lord was meant to show that the final incarnation of the Doctor's first regenerative cycle had that dark side in him, so that if the Meta Crisis Doctor does become the Valeyard, his change in personality would make more sense to the viewer (especially considering he is made up partly of Donna's personality, and he's already shown he's willing to kill when the Doctor would not).

If by 'Meta Crisis Doctor' you mean the one with Rose on that one parallel Earth, then we know he won't become anything other than old and then dead. It was made pretty clear that he has one heart and can't regenerate. So bang goes that theory.

The Dream Lord certainly represents the darker side to the Doctor's personality, as did his behavior in The Waters of Mars. Actually, the War Doctor may have done so as well. I don't know if it's really all that necessary, then, to imagine anything complicated behind the emergence of the Valeyard other than the Doctor going seriously off the rails. The potential has always been there, including in the First Doctor (esp. in the beginning).

If by 'Meta Crisis Doctor' you mean the one with Rose on that one parallel Earth, then we know he won't become anything other than old and then dead. It was made pretty clear that he has one heart and can't regenerate. So bang goes that theory.

The Deadly Assassin Maser stole a body to stay alive and became the Aniley Master and that's how the original script said the Valeyard was but jNT made them change it.

The Time Lord high council can grant regenerations, and since the Meta Crisis Doctor is half Timelord, they'd be able to do that for him, as they said they'd do for the Valeyard if he won his case (his being half human doesn't necessarily mean the potential isn't there, even though he can't do so at first, as River Song could regenerate even though she's half human).

If he can't regenerate without being granted regenerations, that would certainly make for a good reason why he was trying to get the remaining regenerations from the sixth Doctor.

Given how well David Tennant can be totally evil, having him come back as Meta Crisis Valeyard would be amazing and possibly one of the best stories New!Who could do with the current set up.

Which... is precisely the reason I don't think they will do it.

Given how well David Tennant can be totally evil, having him come back as Meta Crisis Valeyard would be amazing and possibly one of the best stories New!Who could do with the current set up.

Which... is precisely the reason I don't think they will do it.

Yeah, I doubt Moffat will do anything with the Valeyard, even though he's referenced him, to be honest (he seems more interested in making story arcs that give powers to companions rather than focusing on the Doctor). But maybe there's hope after he's completed his run.

So with Sean Pertwee as the third Doctor and the guy who played the first Doctor in An Adventure in Space and Time, now all we need is the second Doctor and we can have a new Three Doctors special.

Holy moly, anyone want to talk about that Christmas Special?

It's good... but it has River Song... but it's good...

I mean, I was interested in seeing the Capaldi/River interaction, but I was never expecting the episode to be this enjoyable. I think this might be one of my favorite Christmas specials now.

I only saw the ending which apparently was one of the best scenes but the lack of continuity in Steven Moffat's arcs is irritating and just makes me not care at all. First episode of the new series I'll probably just not watch.

DOCTOR: If you think because she's dead, I am weak, then you understand very little. If you were any part of killing her and you're not afraid, then you understand nothing at all. So, for your own sake, understand this. I'm the Doctor. I'm coming to find you, and I will never, ever stop.

DOCTOR: Because you won't see this coming!

DOCTOR: If I didn't know better, I'd say I've travelled seven thousand years into the future.

DOCTOR: Aah! How many seconds in eternity?

DOCTOR: If I didn't know better, I'd say I've travelled twelve thousand years into the future.

DOCTOR: How many seconds in eternity? And the shepherd's boy Argh!

DOCTOR: Six hundred thousand years into the future.

DOCTOR: Argh! How many seconds in eternity? And the shepherd's boy says Argh!

DOCTOR: Twelve hundred thousand years into the future.

DOCTOR: Argh! And the shepherd's boy says Argh!

DOCTOR: Two million years into the future.

DOCTOR: And the shepherd's boy says

DOCTOR: Twenty million years into the future.

DOCTOR: Ow! And the shepherd's boy says, there's this mountain of pure diamond. It takes an hour to climb it, and an hour to go around it!

DOCTOR: 52 million years.

DOCTOR: Every hundred years, a little bird comes and sharpens its beak on the diamond mountain.

DOCTOR: Nearly a billion years.

DOCTOR: Argh! And when the entire mountain is chiselled away, the first second of eternity will have passed!

DOCTOR: Well over a billion years.

DOCTOR: Argh! You must think that's a hell of a long time,

DOCTOR: Two billion years.

DOCTOR: Personally, I think that's a hell of a

DOCTOR: Aaargh!

DOCTOR: Personally, I think that's a hell of a bird.

Well, now, this is interesting.

I'm home from work, sick, and with nothing better to do watching fan-made Star Trek. I come to the fourth episode of Star Trek Continues and as it starts I think "That guy looks and sounds just like Colin Baker." Turns out, it is Colin Baker.

It's not official Star Trek, of course, but it's probably closest an actual Doctor will come to appearing in Star Trek.

Kickstarter to make a video game of the Doctor Who pinball game, by a company that has done the same with several other pinball games. The money is for the rights, they're covering the production costs themselves.

Not Doctor Who question per say but there's no Big Finish thread and I'm not making one.

Anyone listen and like the Prisoner audio? You can get an extract here.

I was sceptical that it could work as an audio and that it was just gonna be a slavish version of the show and I have the original, but it is really good they up dated the village to be futuristic like it was supposed to be watching it back then but now all the advance stuff is common place. The stories are as compelling as the show and have changes so it doesn't feel like watching the episode with no sounds and the guy they got for Number 6 sounds a lot like Patrick McGoohan but plays the role in his own way more angryer so it's not like as poor man's impression.

Good. He started strong, but Moffat's proven to me that he's a better writer than a showrunner.

Will be very interested to see what Chibnall does with the show.

Oh, and we're not getting much DW this year - they're delaying Series 10 until next year, so we'll just get a Christmas episode.

Oh, and we're not getting much DW this year - they're delaying Series 10 until next year, so we'll just get a Christmas episode.

That's the part I'm pissed off about. I agree with you on the most part about the Moffat front. Looks like I need Big Finish more then ever now!