Sign in to follow this  
Darth Marsden

The Newly Regenerated Doctor Who Thread

So, I've kinda been a little interested in getting some Big Finish audios to listen to while I'm doing labwork. But there's so many of them I don't know where to start or which ones are worthwhile and my funds only go so far.

Basically, as an open question to the thread, which ones did you guys like the most?

The Neverland-Zagreus-Scherzo trilogy is my favourite. I love Robert Shearman's writing. Chimes of Midnight, also of his, is very popular, deservedly.

I also like the adaptation of Russell T Davies' novel Damaged Goods a lot, wonderful music, writing and performances.

There's some new Ten and Donna audios coming soon too, so that's very exciting.

Thanks guys, I think I might give Dark Eyes a shot since that seems to be the opening totally-not-Time-War stuff?

Are Big Finish download times always a bajillion hours long or is it just me? Because I know I should be able to download 500 MB in about ten minutes, not nine hours.

Are Big Finish download times always a bajillion hours long or is it just me? Because I know I should be able to download 500 MB in about ten minutes, not nine hours.

Must be you they never take longer then an hour for me.

There's a sale on lost stories now but ends tonight I think. By lost I don't mean TV eps that are gone now I mean scripts that never got used on TV. Or 6th Doctor ones that where gonna be made before he was fired.

xbMmsShghT4

Nice!

I knew from the teaser yesterday that she had feet, but it's cool to know what the rest looks like.

xbMmsShghT4

Nice!

I knew from the teaser yesterday that she had feet, but it's cool to know what the rest looks like.

She reminds me a bit of Ace.

Another question regarding Big Finish audios. I really enjoyed Dark Eyes and now I'm looking for another series to get into. I kinda want to stick with Eighth Doctor Time War type stuff for the moment, largely because that seems like the sort of thing that will never make it into the show, and I saw this Time War bundle, but I can't even see the individual episodes so I don't know what I'm getting or if most of them haven't been released yet or what.

Also, are the first 50 episodes of the main range worth getting for $44? I saw a few of the recommended ones in there, but if they're all good (or mostly all good), I'd probably just want to buy the bundle.

For all I've enjoyed the audios, it's really hard to tell what I'm buying from this site.

Another question regarding Big Finish audios. I really enjoyed Dark Eyes and now I'm looking for another series to get into. I kinda want to stick with Eighth Doctor Time War type stuff for the moment, largely because that seems like the sort of thing that will never make it into the show, and I saw this Time War bundle, but I can't even see the individual episodes so I don't know what I'm getting or if most of them haven't been released yet or what.

Also, are the first 50 episodes of the main range worth getting for $44? I saw a few of the recommended ones in there, but if they're all good (or mostly all good), I'd probably just want to buy the bundle.

For all I've enjoyed the audios, it's really hard to tell what I'm buying from this site.

The Time War box set is War Doctor with an 8 prequel one coming out in like 2017 or 18. I haven't heard all the early 8 ones so idk if there any good but that's a good deal if they are:P

The $44 one was the main range with an assortment of Doctors. I might end up getting that one because even if only half of them are good, it's still a fantastic deal.

I've just kinda heard about one writer that was exceedingly terrible, so I want to make sure to skip that guy.

I've never watched the show, but I think I should start. Which Doctor should I start off with?

I've never watched the show, but I think I should start. Which Doctor should I start off with?

Start with the first series of the new show then work your way to the older stuff.

I'd go with either Christopher Eccleston or Matt Smith, depending on how much of the show you're interested in watching (Eccleston leads into David Tennant, who then leads into Matt Smith) and how much you're already familiar with.

Eccleston is a fantastic place to start, but it's the first attempt at the show and the lack of experience shows in places - not just effects-wise, but tone as well (farting aliens, anyone?). It's specifically designed for people new to the show though, so if you know basically nothing about the show, it's easily the best place to start.

Smith is another good jumping in point, since it was an all-new cast, showrunner and story arc. Not AS geared towards newcomers (they don't explain what the TARDIS is, for example), and it's a pretty fast-paced episode with little explaining, but it's more than acceptable if you're willing to just go along with things.

I've not recommended Tennant as his earlier episodes tend to assume you're already familiar with certain characters (Jackie, Mickey, Cassandra, etc), which is far from a deal-breaker but may be a little off-putting to newcomers. Plus, his first series had both Love & Monsters AND Fear Her, which are frankly terrible episodes I wouldn't dare wish on someone not prepared for them.

Plus, his first series had both Love & Monsters AND Fear Her, which are frankly terrible episodes I wouldn't dare wish on someone not prepared for them.

10's era had a lot of awful episodes.

I'd say start with Eccleston. He's a great intro to the series and eases you into the crazy world of Doctor Who. I love David Tennant and while he has some bad episodes (Love and Monsters) the good ones more than make up for the bad. That said, he's not a great intro due to the reasons Marsden mentioned, kinda a bit like walking into the middle of a story. Matt Smith had some decent episodes, but most of his were forgettable. And Capaldi has only had two episodes that I didn't absolutely love, and even those had lots of fun moments, but again, his intro does have some existing characters that you're expected to know.

Also if you wana get into the old series I'd suggest starting with Tom Baker ones especially from the Hinchcliff era that may be the best era in Dcotor Who.

Plus, his first series had both Love & Monsters AND Fear Her, which are frankly terrible episodes I wouldn't dare wish on someone not prepared for them.

10's era had a lot of awful episodes.

I disagree. Even the less great episodes had a lot to enjoy about them. And his era is full of absolute blinders as well.

But DO start with Christopher Eccleston, the Russell T Davies era deserves to be enjoyed as a whole :)

Yeah, I don't think Tennant had a lot of awful episodes. I refuse to watch Love and Monsters, but all the others are decently fun. And then every once and awhile you get a Girl in the Fireplace, Blink, Midnight, or Turn Left.

Oh that reminds me Alcoremortis you should try the Tenth Doctor audio it's like season 4 (the best 10 one I think) with out any of the arc stuff.

I definitely intend to listen to that one eventually, but is it all out right now? Or ongoing?

I definitely intend to listen to that one eventually, but is it all out right now? Or ongoing?

It's like dark eyes where it's a volume with 3 episodes all out now but there not connected to each other and are each stand alone.