Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Darth Marsden

The Newly Regenerated Doctor Who Thread

I wanted them to

destroy Gallifrey

. It would have added some much needed weight to the show.

But, if they had to change things, I'm satisfied with how they chose to change them.

Few more random thoughts. Spoilers all.

I'm really glad Billie Piper wasn't playing Rose Tyler. I hope they save the "what happened to clone-Ten and Rose" for a Wrath of Kahn style reveal much, much later. Like, "School Reunion" later.

Why didn't they have Paul McGann record a couple new shots for the all-doctors bit, and the dream at the end? His stock footage stood out as being slightly more awkward than the others. Also would have been cool if they had pulled out some deleted or unused footage of Chris Eccleston, the shot they used was kind of familiar.

I don't quite get Gallifrey being "lost" or whatever. Isn't it in a painting? Isn't it in that painting that they're looking at? I thought that's what they were going for.

Tom Baker's bit at the end was fascinating, as was the glimpse of Peter Capaldi (who in my head I call "The Frobisher Doctor")

He did? Ah yes, I remember now. The room was spinning when I read that page. Woops. Have this instead.

I wanted them to

destroy Gallifrey

But, if they had to change things, I'm satisfied with how they chose to change them.

I couldn't suspend my disbelief that 3 Doctor's couldn't solve this problem.

I wanted them to

destroy Gallifrey

Haha. I think my difficulty with that ending would be that I just don't think I'd be comfortable with the moral of the story being 'sometimes you just gotta kill billions of people'. I mean, I know it's more complicated than that, but still.

I wanted them to

destroy Gallifrey

Haha. I think my difficulty with that ending would be that I just don't think I'd be comfortable with the moral of the story being 'sometimes you just gotta kill billions of people'. I mean, I know it's more complicated than that, but still.

You don't have to always have a moral to a story. Sometimes you can have a situation that's unsolvable. I mean, especially with the Time War. I mean, sure, there were innocents on Gallifrey. There always are. But the Time Lords, at this point, were nearly as bad as, if not worse than, the Daleks. They'd already taken every forbidden weapon (except the one the Doctor nabbed) out of the vaults and used it. And from the sound of it, they didn't really discriminate who they used it on as long as it would get them ahead in the war. On top of this, they were already making cyborg supersoldiers who had a penchant for going insane.

Basically, they were well on their way to becoming time-traveling super Daleks. In a situation like that, keeping them alive is probably far more dangerous and will kill more people in the end than just offing the lot of them.

Now the Daleks have forgotten the Doctor they won't remember the first strike of the Time War anymore and presumably the rest so when The Doctor finaly finds the Time Lords they will either have mellowed out...Or will be ruled by The Master.

I wanted them to

destroy Gallifrey

You don't have to always have a moral to a story. Sometimes you can have a situation that's unsolvable. I mean, especially with the Time War. I mean, sure, there were innocents on Gallifrey. There always are. But the Time Lords, at this point, were nearly as bad as, if not worse than, the Daleks. They'd already taken every forbidden weapon (except the one the Doctor nabbed) out of the vaults and used it. And from the sound of it, they didn't really discriminate who they used it on as long as it would get them ahead in the war. On top of this, they were already making cyborg supersoldiers who had a penchant for going insane.

Basically, they were well on their way to becoming time-traveling super Daleks. In a situation like that, keeping them alive is probably far more dangerous and will kill more people in the end than just offing the lot of them.

I didn't mean that the story has got to be 'moral'. But that said, stories don't exist in a vacuum, and whether unavoidable or not, and with or without authorial intent they send a message and I think this would have sent a message about the Doctor that feels... well, off.

The Doctor has generally been set up as a character to be admired: he has some flaws, but as for what we are supposed to like about the character, it's his relentless concern for the lives around him, he can and will bend the rules of reality to protect them. So while it would have certainly added a lot of darkness to the character to have all three of them make that choice jointly, it would have also changed the character in a way that would make it difficult to admire him for all the reasons he's supposed to be admirable. I can see the temptation, but I also think that it's much more in character for the Doctor to say 'actually, this isn't how we roll'

Or something, I don't know, it just seems to me that it would have been a really hokey way to introduce darkness, 'saw no choice but to press button that kills billions'. Even in the episode when he saw no way to save Pompeii, he found a way to at least save ONE family (including Peter Capaldi, woo!).

Or something, I don't know, it just seems to me that it would have been a really hokey way to introduce darkness, 'saw no choice but to press button that kills billions'. Even in the episode when he saw no way to save Pompeii, he found a way to at least save ONE family (including Peter Capaldi, woo!).

. . .

I've just been reminded of this:

But how exactly could this notion of the next Doctor somehow being tied to Capaldi’s other roles actually play out? Unsurprisingly, Moffat isn’t telling, but he does offer up some tantalizing clues. In the same interview, he says:

"The face is not set from birth. It’s not like he was always going to be one day Peter Capaldi. We know that’s the case because in “The War Games” [the final serial featuring Patrick Troughton’s Second Doctor] he has a choice of faces. So we know it’s not set, so where does he get those faces from? They can’t just be randomly generated because they’ve got lines. They’ve aged. When he turns into Peter he’ll actually have lines on his face. So where did that face come from?"

So I think there might be a connection here. If he's choosing a face, perhaps he chooses this one to remind himself that he can change the past for the better.

Now if only he could go back and re-save

Captain Adelaide Brooke from Waters of Mars. That always bothered me. Sure hubris, I get it, but it's such a solvable problem if he just saved her and brought her forward in time, so that everybody would think she was dead at the time. He could have brought her to meet her granddaughter as an already-inspired adult. It would have been touching and the important parts of the timeline would be preserved. Augh.

I think the point with Adelaide was the hubris. He wanted to show that he was a master of time, that he could challenge fixed points in time. If he'd just worked around it, he wouldn't have proven that mastery.

Okay I've 'acquired' Blink, let's see if I like this show...

My Whovian friends said to watch it at midnight with headphones. I shall be.

This'd better be good...

Muahahaha! A convert!

Personally, I love Midnight. But you should now go back and watch it through sequentially. There's some good episodes and some bad episodes (don't get discouraged at Love and Monsters) and some of the more recent ones are kinda... ehhh..., but overall I feel this show is a decent time investment.

Yes. Definitely. Of the new series (2005). Some of the early episodes are kinda cheesy, but there's a couple of really excellent ones that more than make up for it (The Empty Child, The Doctor Dances, and Dalek spring to mind.). Rose is also a much more sympathetic character if you've watched her from the beginning rather than stepping in at season 2.

And Eccleston is amazing. It's worth watching them just for him.

You can also watch the Classics, but it's a bit of an acquired taste (ie. they're so hokey even my parents remember them as being cheesy. I still like them, though)

Don't mean to pry, but is there something standing between you and a Netflix subscription? A month or two of Netflix streaming is certainly the most cost-effective way to get through the majority of the revived series, and they have a growing number of classic series episodes too.

Sign in to follow this