Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Oliver

Programming Interlude 2: Localization

Is there any chance you guys could work on the l10n part of the game thinking forward towards the chance of the game being translated to Right-To-Left languages? I personally know that it's not a small feat, but if the game is programmed as such in advance, we might have a better chance of ever seeing the game translated to Hebrew, Arabic, etc...

That is a very good point. Well for text painted into the art it doesn't matter because the artist can draw the translations in the right way. For sub-titles we do support the Unicode character set, which should get us mostly there I think.

The system uses pack-file overlays to basically reroute a file look-up to a different location. So for example when the game tries to load the file "Art/Sign.texture" it will actually read data from "German/Art/Sign.texture".

@flesk The above quote deals with how the game works after all of the game data has been prepared, combined, and transformed into a form the game engine can use. I was asking more about how those assets are managed before all those files are munged together.

The source assets are also organized by folder. Let's say you have the Photoshop image "Art/Sign.psd", then the localized version would look like this: "Localized/deDE/Art/Sign.psd". The important thing here is that the relative path is the same.

If airlocks would look like this there wouldn't be any children on spaceships anymore. They all would be floating through space, although i guess like in most adventure games doors can't be opened this easily without solving a puzzle. Come one, say yes. :o)

No spoilers! :P

One question, do you combine the layers upfront in the texture platform gen process, are you using a multi-texture shader or adding some triangles?

Regions with text are usually broken out into a separate layer, so they take minimal memory when localized. Obviously that means a bit of overhead in terms of rendering, because of additional overdraw, but that's okay.

Is there any chance you guys could work on the l10n part of the game thinking forward towards the chance of the game being translated to Right-To-Left languages? I personally know that it's not a small feat, but if the game is programmed as such in advance, we might have a better chance of ever seeing the game translated to Hebrew, Arabic, etc...

That is a very good point. Well for text painted into the art it doesn't matter because the artist can draw the translations in the right way.

When painted into the art, sometimes it might be an issue for the artist. When I was a kid, the translators of some cartoons and comic books took the liberty of flipping whole images horizontally just so they could translate signs, etc. and make sure the art looked good :)

For sub-titles we do support the Unicode character set, which should get us mostly there I think.

Unicode is a great first step, but RTL also includes RTL alignment. Here's an example of two sentences in Hebrew might look like without RTL alignment (like in this forum):

"אחת שתיים שלוש ארבע?"

ועכשיו עם נקודה בסוף.

And here's what they should look like with RTL (I'm faking it, of course):

"?אחת שתיים שלוש ארבע"

.ועכשיו עם נקודה בסוף

It's as easy as flipping a flag (you can play with it using CSS's text-direction property), but that flag needs to be supported for this reason :)

Thanks for listening! :D

@Oliver

I saw the door for the first time but i'm also trying to avoid threads with possible spoilers or jump forward in the videos when it seems to make sense. Hey, i was just poking a bit, nothing serious. ;O)

I was wondering which way you've choosen due to possible fillrate issues on mobiles, using rectangles or more optimized meshes as well and so on.

@LuigiHann

They had a pretty cool cursor in the latest episode.

If airlocks would look like this there wouldn't be any children on spaceships anymore.
We may therefore conclude that all airlocks look like this. Q.E.D.

Thanks for the update, Oliver!

One important thing (at least for me): Please make the language selectable so that I won't have to change my device's language just to play in Enlgish.

Why? Because most of the times the German translation is butchered with horrible speakers and crude Babelfish-style translations whenever the person in charge didn't know the correct phrase. Would be a shame not to be able to read Tim's witty dialogues but instead get something that is more reminiscent of the German tax code.

Of course if the whole translation would be as professional as "Achtung! Cat" I will reconsider ;-)

Yeah, it sounds reasonable to fear the german translation when someone like Boris Schneider will be working on it (right?) or to download all available dubs in one package via mobiles considering the traffic limitations, would be nice as language packs though. As for text, this makes more sense but there also do exist (free) tools which allow you to run a program in any of its supported localisations, like f.i. Language Switcher on OS X.

Is Boris still doing the translation? I haven`t heard anything since the kickstarter. (Boris is the german translator of the old Lucasarts games)

And as a German I must critisize your sloppy translation!! Warning= Warnung

Attention= Achtung. And a cat is totally random! Shame on you dude!;-)

Would be a shame not to be able to read Tim's witty dialogues but instead get something that is more reminiscent of the German tax code.
Too few games have a "German Tax Code" language option.

Achtung cat sees you and shakes it's head disapprovingly as you ignore it.

Achtung Cat

Sounds like some kind of superhero! I be he helps get children safely accross the road.

Yeah, it sounds reasonable to fear the german translation when someone like Boris Schneider will be working on it (right?) or to download all available dubs in one package via mobiles considering the traffic limitations, would be nice as language packs though. As for text, this makes more sense but there also do exist (free) tools which allow you to run a program in any of its supported localisations, like f.i. Language Switcher on OS X.

Uhh, someone had grumpy beans for breakfast... Which obviously prevents you from answering a post in any meaningful way. Yay!

I DID NOT ask them to include all languages in one download package, I just asked for a simple option to switch. If there is a one-time manual step like downloading a language pack involved that would be OK.

If Boris Schneider-Johne does the German translation that is still no guarantee that it's any good. The last game he translated was DECADES ago. Also it's not a guarantee that the speakers will be good.

Well, if you weren't able to talk to or listen to him for decades then you might get that impression, although he also is releasing enough podcasts where you can get a feeling that he's still quick-witted witty instead of being brain dead. But yeah, the "he hasn't done it for decades, he might/must have lost it" assumption/wish(?) often somehow automatically applies to some people.

Anyway, in reality, no politics here, offering the option to select something also includes at least the assumption that things could be different, so, when you're selecting a different language for the dubs, you also expect listening to a different language. So, the supported languages at some point must be included in one or another way, otherwise it all might sound too familiar. Maybe the selector does a check in order to know which dubs already are available for selection (maybe offering a download for ghosted ones separately as well). Due to that text is less memory hungry i expect them to ship all the efigs versions at once in separate files (once they are done), at best selectable independently from the dubs, just like you're used from a dvd.

Well, I'll be plying it on Steam and usually it's not a problem there to choose the language you want to play in and download the speech files. I'm German and play most of my games in English on Steam.

I don't know how it works with Android though...

This is kind of a unique problem... Are you going to have people translate.. and then have the artists copy it? Or are you going to have to find German artists!? hmmmmm.

This is kind of a unique problem... Are you going to have people translate.. and then have the artists copy it? Or are you going to have to find German artists!? hmmmmm.

Usually we get the translated strings from an external service and our artists simply paint them. If they get it wrong the QA will catch it.

Even with the cat, German looks so much more serious than English. When a sign says Achtung! I feel like I'm half in trouble already.“

Well to be fair, I think Oliver chose the German translation for Americans here. While "Achtung" is still used, it's done much less so than during WW2 and "Vorsicht" is what most people use when issuing warnings (I'd use the Google n-gram search to prove it but "Achtung" also – and in literature probably much more commonly – means "esteem" so that makes that line of research totally useless). And if it's used, it usually sounds much softer than how real-world and Hollywood nazis used to pronounce it. Oh and the sign would probably read "Warnung" anyway BTW.

Usually we get the translated strings from an external service and our artists simply paint them. If they get it wrong the QA will catch it.

Well I guess nobody can butcher German typography more than Microsoft did so they'll do all right I guess ;)

500px-German_quotmarks_verdana.svg.png

No need for words, that cat doodle says it all. You should change all words to universal symbols hahahaha. Cat=Danger ;-)

Is that Schrödinger's cat, suggesting that the airlock is always both compressed and decompressed?

Hello everyone!

Is there a way to make a fan-made localizaiton?

I would really love to start localizing to Georgian Language! :)

Broken Age is awesome! I wish I could give more!

Is there a way to make a fan-made localizaiton?

I would really love to start localizing to Georgian Language! :)

Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed the game! :-)

We are still investigating crowed-sourced localization, so it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility. Unfortunately there is no time-frame for this though at this point.

Yes, the game simply went on my top five list, right next to Psychonauts!

I am thinking that having a crowd-sourced localization isn't a great option for official BA release for several reasons:

1. Large text base: not every community of volunteers are able to finish even first iteration in projects of such great volume, leave alone proofing and refining. How many tens of thousands strings are there?

2. Texture localization: AFAIK this cannot be integrated in crowdin, or getlocalization, or transifex. But may be doable given there are competent artists volunteering.

3. Distribution model: IMO crowd-sourced translation works (i.e. for Minecraft) best in distributions with iterative release, when product is release regularly, so time is quite flexible and frequent updates are possible. Steam release might be fine, the client just automatically updates the localization file with each new version, but the DRM-free release isn't as flexible, if you know what I mean.

So far, I think just providing the right tools and infrastructure for community to release their own, unofficial localization 'mods' would be nice. Less stress and work for you guys, and consumer is better informed. For example, when I download an unofficial mod I understand that translation quality may no be ideal.

In your case, relying on community is a great gesture, but at this point it is unclear to me how the quality of crowd-sourced translation may be ensured in such big project?

Anyhow... I'm sure you guys have already thought of these things :) I'm just trying to put my 2 cents in.

Is it technically possible to add a German translation by Boris Schneider-Johne after Act 2 is released? I guess it was a timing problem that it didn't happened.

However I'm fine with the English version 100%.

Sign in to follow this