Double Fine Action Forums
Bidiot Bales

Last item(s) you purchased?

Yep I bought some things:

MmjaBKE.jpg

I highly recommend Kerr's 6-part fan edit.

@Bidiot Bales

Start with Lord of The Rings, the beginning of the first book needs some endurance to get things rolling but then things get more interesting. Most people who finished the first book automatically continued reading and finishing the second one. The last book then has some boring passages again, like the ending, but on the bright side you're almost through then.

It's more fun to read The Hobbit afterwards because you can add your gained knowledge to the story and add some more depth this way. And if you're really into the world, bloodlines, who said what when and history then you can have a look at the rest of his books as well, you won't do it for good stories or the prose (although it's a good way to fall asleep), otherwise you're done with Tolkien already.

Then you should be ready to moan about the movies, maybe you also want to watch the animation movie of The Lord of the Rings but it's not really worth the effort.

Another £48 worth of Vita games from the January PSN Sale.

These games aren't exactly great, but fuck it. Get myself a 32gb Memory card from amazon, and I'll have more than enough Vita games to last me through till the next Christmas sale! xD

EDIT: And a 32gb Vita card from Argos for £43

(Yeah its been a little cheaper and I COULD import a 64gb card but I can't be arsed with that. A 32gb + 16gb card will do me fine)

Truth be told, my wife and her family are Tolkien purists, not me really. My wife and her family nitpick about things that didn't happen in the books which /shouldn't/ have happened in the movies. Things like Faramir taking Frodo and Sam to Osgiliath, when actually Faramir in the book had better quality than Boromir and let the hobbits go at the falls. Also, no one in the book questioned Theoden's decision to go to Helm's Deep, and Aragorn was not frightened by Sauron when Aragorn used the palantir.

For myself, I find that the fan edits have better pacing, and they follow separate parts of the Fellowship in each "book" (as in the actual novel) which breaks up the story better by having more obvious intermissions.

That's something that annoys me about films from books is that there are always some people who hate the fact that the film version deviates from the book in anyway. Personally I like that there are differences because the exact same version of the story would be boring. And it's not as if it diminishes the original version either. That's also why I don't mind a good remake either as it's the same principal, another person's vision of someone else's story. Just to be clear I'm not having a go at anyone on here (as everyone is entitled to their own opinion anyway), this is just something I want to say.

I only care if the film deviates from the book if doing so causes the film to lose the spirit or point of the book. Like the fourth Harry Potter movie. It draws my ire because it ignored major plotlines and important scenes in the book for the sake of a dragon fight that was actually a really minor segment in the original novel. There was no point to adding in that dragon fight except to draw in the 'broader audience'. What the creators didn't realize, however, is that that 'broader audience' are generally fans of the book, and would probably miss the important plot points more than a bit of unnecessary action. So they eliminated SPEW, which is a fairly important recurring plot event that brings up Dobby again and makes his appearance in the last book less completely random and also the scene where Harry almost uncovers Barty Crouch Jr. while sneaking around with his egg in the middle of the night (important for laying the groundwork so that reveal is less random).

That's the sort of thing that annoys me.

Well that particular example was unknown to me, but I only just started reading that book a day ago.

I most recently purchased the fractal design Define R4 case for my pc build. I put the whole thing together, but it turns out my goddamn hard drive is DOA. RMA time :((

I only care if the film deviates from the book if doing so causes the film to lose the spirit or point of the book. Like the fourth Harry Potter movie. It draws my ire because it ignored major plotlines and important scenes in the book for the sake of a dragon fight that was actually a really minor segment in the original novel.
I agree with this.

Also, I hated the stupid talking shrunken head on the Knight Bus in The Prisoner of Azkaban film. He wasn't in the story; his humor is eye-roll-inducing; and the Knight Bus trip itself would have been just as amusing as it was in the book were he not included.

- Wii to HDMI converter

- PS2 to HDMI converter

- 3 port HDMI switcher

- 15 foot CAT6 ethernet cable

- Logitech 2.1 PC speakers

- Computer armoire (ie. a small cabinet for a desktop pc.)

- Single-cup loose leaf tea steeper/strainer

You should put an update about how good that PS2 converter is when you get a chance. I am looking for a good one myself.

The PS2 converter I bought is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJL7LR2/

41ksNxOCmaL._SY300_.jpg

It has a USB port on it (and comes with a Mini USB cable) which reportedly can be used to provide power to the device, but I found that it works exactly the same whether the USB port is plugged in or not. In other words, there's no need.

It seems that the edges of things appear slightly more jaggedy with this HDMI converter than they are with with Component. I have no idea whether it would be that way with any other HDMI converter or else if it's just this particular model.

Also, these are the speakers I bought:

41aXw5OM6KL._SX450_.jpg

And this is my computer armoire (except mine is black):

0004266610648_500X500.jpg

EDIT: and this is my tea steeper/strainer:

61Vm2ETEzML._SY600_.jpg

I like that armoire. I had a computer desk that was big and heavy, and had a drawer designed for a dot matrix printer. Suffice it to say that the thing took up a lot of space and didn't provide proper storage. My wife's old desk was flimsy, and it shook when an inkjet printer was printing something while sitting on it. This new thing, I can stick in my living room and plug into my TV, yet it doesn't use much space and I can hide the computer when company is over.

My dad has a Mazda 3. About 6 years old or so. He's been happy with it.

Another 'last minute grab from eBay', this time costing me just over £20.

Screen-Shot-2013-04-17-at-7.43.38-AM.png

Brand new, still sealed. I'm getting really lucky with these.

Skylanders Giants & Portal for the WiiU (£10)

Gears of War: Judgement - Steelbook for the XBox 360 (£7)

Ratchet & Clank: [Enter the] Nexus for PS3 (£8.50)

...not allowed on eBay any more.

51pYcUORY0L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Little Journeys To the Homes of the Great Volume XIII (1928 memorial edition), to complete my grandmother's collection, which was missing that book.

MOTHERFUCKING PIECE OF SHIT GERMAN SELLER ON AMAZON GERMANY

I bought a 3DS XL, Yveltal Red edition

it's a fucking US import. 3DSes are region locked, fucktard seller

also

FUCK Nintendo

I didn't lose money on this as I can just return it, but this was a huge waste of time

consola-nintendo-3ds-xl-pokemon-edicion-yveltal-xerneas-6820-MLM5110069434_092013-O.jpg