Double Fine Action Forums
Bidiot Bales

Last item(s) you purchased?

OWLBOY WILL BE ON SALE SOON

I HAVE WAITED FOR 195,4965,113,4981,8453,774,652 YEARS TO PLAY OWLBOY

Edited by AnAnemoneInAnonymity

On 8/3/2016 at 4:28 PM, MusicallyInspired said:

Command Keen pack on Steam (Quakecon sale). I still think it's annoying that Keen 6 and Keen Dreams aren't included. Lame.

They're stuck in licensing hell, unfortunately.  Keen Dreams and Aliens Ate My Babysitter were made as part of an agreement between Softdisk and iD Games for the iD Games team using company resources to making the original Keen games while working at Softdisk. Flat Rock Software apparently owns some of Softdisk's IP, but I have no idea if they have the rights to the Softdisk Keen games.

4 hours ago, fargetv said:

Ha! Er de pølsene gode?

Ja, jeg liker dem og ungene har gaflet innpå som bare det. Kjøpte noen for å gi bort til jul også, og det falt i smak. 

I decided this year that from now on everyone I know will either get sausages, coffee or booze (or a combination of those) for Christmas.

I ordered the "Nintendo Switch Gray Joy-Con Ultimate Fan Bundle" from GameStop last week (oddly currently unavailable). The order says it will be shipped by July 12th.

It comes with Breath of the Wild + Expansion Pass, ARMS, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. However, I want digital copies of the games, so I'm going to take the unopened bundle to GameStop and ask them to exchange the physical games for codes to digital copies. I called the store I ordered it at this morning and the employee said it was her impression that the policy on such exchanges are store-independent, but that the Assistant Manager would be in after 2pm so I should call back then to confirm that they will do it. I see no reason why they shouldn't.

Edited by Chyron

But don't forget that they are Gamestop and are borderline extortionist shysters >.>

On 6/29/2017 at 5:32 PM, MusicallyInspired said:

Why wouldn't you want physical copies?

Because I like to have my media instantly available.

It's nothing new for me. I was ripping my PC software CDs to mountable disc images 15 years ago; I ripped my Wii and GameCube games to play via USB Launcher on my Wii; and all of my movies and shows are on a Plex Media Server.

On 6/29/2017 at 3:25 PM, Anemone said:

But don't forget that they are Gamestop and are borderline extortionist shysters >.>

Perhaps, but they were the only ones who would allow me to order a Switch. Everywhere else just told me they were out. Best Buy was all "come back on Sunday and we'll give you a ticket; you MIGHT get one then."

Actually, I had my Switch shipped to my office, but I realized it might be delivered on a day I was off work for vacation. I called the 800# on the order to change the delivery address, and the woman I talked to on the phone "took the hold off" of my order. So I'm getting my Switch delivered tomorrow instead of next week.

You know, I don't care that GameStop gives people pennies on the dollar for traded-in games. STOP TRADING THEM IN if you think you're not getting value for it. I don't play my PS2 Slim anymore, but I still have all of my PS2 games.

Edited by Chyron

2 hours ago, Feddlefew said:

I'm saving up to get a switch with a custom paint job. >_>;

If I do that, I'll get an adhesive skin from DecalGirl. They only cost $20 or so, as opposed to paying out the nose.

EDIT: Also, I will certainly buy Nintendo games from Amazon over buying from Gamestop. I want to buy from Amazon but Amazon currently has a huge markup on Switches.

Edited by Chyron

A good paint job provides some addition protection to the device, so I think I'll keep saving.

(I do like the toaster stickers, though.)

On 6/29/2017 at 5:32 PM, MusicallyInspired said:

Why wouldn't you want physical copies?

On 7/4/2017 at 0:18 PM, Chyron said:

Because I like to have my media instantly available.

It's nothing new for me. I was ripping my PC software CDs to mountable disc images 15 years ago; I ripped my Wii and GameCube games to play via USB Launcher on my Wii; and all of my movies and shows are on a Plex Media Server.

There actually are several factors in this for me:

• Can the physical media form be ripped to digital?
  • Can the digital media form be downloaded from the cloud and permanently stored locally?
  • How easy is the digital platform to use?
  • Is digital/physical cheaper?
  • How many other media files do I have on a given digital platform ?

And more factors to be sure, that I haven't worked out as I type this.

I have bought many a game from Steam because they were inexpensive and easily accessible. But then I also was buying more games on Steam or GOG... because I had games on Steam or GOG. I won't buy games on Origin or UPlay, even if they didn't suck horribly, if the same game was available on Steam or GOG at the same price because I like to concentrate my media to only a few platforms. And not just digital items. If I can get copies of my old Nintendo games on my new Switch, I will. I did so on my Wii; and I much prefer that solution over having an NES, SNES, N64, Wii, and Switch all set up together so I could play any console. I'd rather have the one console that can play games from previous generations.

Meanwhile, I've discovered I hate Amazon's digital video platform. I much prefer purchasing movies from Google to watch on YouTube... but then neither Google nor Amazon allow for free permanent offline storage (or have DRM that is easy to break.) So I find myself buying DVDs and Blurays, not because I want physical copies, but because they are easy to use to make local digital copies. Plus, with the advent of Plex Media Server, I can watch my entire local digital movie library on the go on a mobile device. This makes the advantage of building a library of purchases on YouTube moot.

The problem with playing old school games via emulators on a computer is that the experience is different. For one thing, I'm not sure I feel right pirating my entire old school library; for another, emulator menu interfaces are subpar compared to commercial UI; and third, I like playing Nintendo games on a Nintendo console.

So someday I might buy a physical Switch game if it is significantly cheaper than digital, but at present the games are all similarly priced and not worth giving up the convenience of digital.

Edited by Chyron

I bought three lamps for far too much money from a pub that's renovating.