Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Shriven

PS4 or Xbox One: The Backers Poll

I wanted to say "reasons stated on the other thread", but that other thread really was mired by the discussion of Xbox One's negatives (based on the original idea of limiting game resale). So...

Not getting either because I'm not playing much on consoles and the Xbox One isn't backwards compatible with the 360 (which I have).

I'm also not getting a console, but I might pick up one of the next-gen Kinects to use in programming/robotics projects. Say what you will about its use as a game controller, it's still a really impressive piece of technology.

I'm also not getting a console, but I might pick up one of the next-gen Kinects to use in programming/robotics projects. Say what you will about its use as a game controller, it's still a really impressive piece of technology.

Given the right game, it's also a good controller. Double Fine's Kinect Party / Happy Action Theatre is tons of fun for the kids.

I'll definitely be picking up a PS4 when money allows it, but for now I'm quite happy with my PS3 and PC games.

But something happened in the past year and I'm not sure how. I closed my eyes for a few seconds and then opened them to find that I'm now a PC gamer with more (indie) games in my applications folder than games for my console.

Both serve a purpose, of course. I sadly don't get to play my PS3 much because 1) I'm a sucker for the big, huge games that need some mental preparation and time commitments (currently playing Dark Souls, for instance), 2) I live with other people who take up the living room in the evenings, making playing impossible until I get a nice, huge TV for my room.

So PC games are a bit ideal for me because I can pick them up and put them down in between workloads and not feel like I'm losing too much in ways of an experience and also not doing too much of a disservice to the devs.

Here's an interesting survey by Compete showing that PS4 blows XBone out of the water in terms of pre-launch interest. The write-up doesn't say anything about the number of people asked as far as I can tell, but of those asked with an declared interest in either of the systems, 61% said they only considered PS4, while only 27% only considered XBone.

Here's an interesting survey by Compete showing that PS4 blows XBone out of the water in terms of pre-launch interest. The write-up doesn't say anything about the number of people asked as far as I can tell, but of those asked with an declared interest in either of the systems, 61% said they only considered PS4, while only 27% only considered XBone.

Wowzers,

Thats a domination if ever I saw one. Ignore those IGN and Machinma poles. Bought out Sons 'o' bit***s.

I think the ps4 and xb1 both look fantastic. xb1 did have a lot of horrible policies when it was announced, but most of them have been removed. Both consoles have good looking launch window games, and both are doing their part to lure indie devs to their systems (though Sony does seem to have the upper hand there.)

In the end, I'll be getting a ps4 based mostly on brand loyalty. Even as somebody that feels the 360 was the better console this generation, I've never loved a system like my ps2. I was happy with it for years after the current consoles released and I'm hoping Sony can build that kind of legacy again.

Neither.

I'm very satisfied with my PC, nextgen consoles are not offering something really new. The only piece of tech I'm excited for is the Oculus Rift.

Probably staying PC this generation as I did for the last one, until possibly really late gen when there is a large enough pile of console exclusive games I really want to play. It's hard to beat playing on PC, although the PS4/XOne do look amazing for the price they're going for.

Neither.

I'm very satisfied with my PC, nextgen consoles are not offering something really new. The only piece of tech I'm excited for is the Oculus Rift.

This. I just hope the Rift comes out before the Omni I have on order gets shipped.

Sign in to follow this