Chyron

Star Wars - May The Thread Be With You

I'm a big original Original Star Wars Trilogy fan. So here is a place where we can talk about Star Wars movies, games and TV shows; hate on George Lucas; promote our favorite fan edits (thanks again, Marsden); speculate about Episode VII; etc., etc.

I've been enjoying Angry Birds Star Wars II a lot. I'm not surprised at all that this is topping the charts right now.

I liked the first one, but this one tops it in every way, adding in the ability to play as the characters on Dark side, plus having unlockable characters (even the ones from the first Angry Birds Star Wars). Plus prequel Yoda is so much fun. :)

I haven't watched the Star Wars films in a while. Really should at some point.

Yes, even the prequel films. Because hey, that's what RiffTrax are for!

...and you'll have to refresh my memory Chyron - which fan-edits did I recommend? The Phantom Edit/Attack of the Phantom?

http://www.telltalegames.com/community/discussion/comment/362541#post362541

Oh FFS. They are never going to release a proper, perfectly preserved version of the original films. They're going to keep releasing ever-so-slightly better versions of the same ones over and over, and we're going to keep paying money for them.

There are fan-edits that restore the original film we all know, love and remember far, far better then any official release could ever do. The definite Episode IV one, along with a list of everything that was fixed, is here. I gather he's doing the same for Episode V (yay). These are the films you're looking for. Move along, move along.

It was Adywan's "A New Hope: Revisited". He's still working on ESB:R, but I have since discovered Harmy's Star Wars Despecialized Trilogy remaster which aims to bring an HD version of the original films as they were originally shown in theatres. He does a really bang up job of it too, and I can say that I can finally watch Return of the Jedi again because Jedi Rocks is permanently gone from my viewing experience.

Here is a documentary from Harmy's upcoming SW:DE 2.5 Bluray release:

dHfLX_TMduY

I wish Plinkett hadn't gone so overboard on his persona. I don't feel right recommending those reviews to my family.

As far as the Prequels are concerned, I like Q2's Fall of the Jedi Trilogy fanedits, which really do improve the prequel films to the point that they are actually decent to good. Not as good as the original Original Trilogy, but still good in their own right (and miraculously makes fanedits of the prequels better than official SE's of the Original Trilogy).

HesmWVhuTg4

The Phantom Edit is good for the history of Star Wars and fan edits, as it sparked great interest in other fans to make edits as well, but as a film it's really not very good. It doesn't cut out enough of Jar Jar's stupidity or Jake Lloyd's cheese; the picture quality is poor; the cuts are often poorly placed; and the title crawl is replaced with a note from the editor.

Ah, A New Hope: Revisited. Of course.

I still say it's one of, if not THE best version of A New Hope we're ever going to see. I'm not interested in stuff being pure and faithful to the original, though I can appreciate and understand those who are - I just want to see the best possible version of a film that I can, and this is (in my opinion) it.

Since I know some people might be curious, here's a working link to the list of changes made in it. Staggeringly huge number, I know, but almost all of it works (except the shot of C3PO coming out of Luke's hut, that one looked a little iffy).

And since some people don't like reading, here's a comparison clip from the guy's WIP version of The Empire Strikes Back, which really does speak for itself.

EDIT: I hadn't actually seen that clip before posting, but it's full of those little touches that just seem obvious in retrospect. Watch as Vader comes out of the building while fighting Luke - there's a new scorch mark on the wall to the left that's glowing. And when Vader turns his lightsaber off - that wasn't in the original film, but in the next shot of him, his saber's not on, so Adywan's actually added that saber deactivation! Little things like that show a real attention to detail. Love it.

EDIT 2: Oh hey, look what I found on the YouTubes.

pfEcaH2Db1s

Well, I'm not an absolute stickler for the original versions, but I do hate Jedi Rocks with a burning passion and Adywan wont get around to ROTJ:R for a long time.

Btw, the inclusion of more chicken walkers to the Battle of Hoth was a surprise to the OriginalTrilogy.com community. Adywan originally said he was just taking out the lone AT-ST, but then he turned around and added many more instead. Which makes better sense, because the large artillery ought to have plenty of support vehicles.

Given my views on the prequels, I assume I'm not welcome here?
You like them?

That's not a crime. And you won't hear too much prequel-bashing from me anymore because I've found fanedits that I think redeem them. Certainly, the overall story could have been better told to properly fit the OT (instead of GL doing the reverse and ruining the OT with prequel-like changes), but /proper/ editing goes a long way with them as they are.

Given my views on the prequels, I assume I'm not welcome here?
You like them?

That's not a crime. And you won't hear too much prequel-bashing from me anymore because I've found fanedits that I think redeem them. Certainly, the overall story could have been better told to properly fit the OT (instead of GL doing the reverse and ruining the OT with prequel-like changes), but /proper/ editing goes a long way with them as they are.

I prefer them. I'm actually of the opinion that the sequels aren't that great. Although I'm viewing the prequels through heavily rose tinted spectacles. Phantom Menace was the last film I went to see with my dad, And an Annakin Skywalker necklace was the last thing he bought me. I have very fond memories of lightsabre duels with wooden stilts in the school playground inspired by the latestet Star Wars films at the time. The OT has none of that for me.

I still recommend Plinkett to my family, but only because I know none of them will actually ever watch anything I recommend. No matter how great something is, if I recommend it, nobody will ever try it unless the opinion is validated by someone else.

There did used to be a couple of videos on youtube of an alternate better version if the prequels that sounded awesome. It involved obi-wan having a love intrest in Padme (which led to rash behaviour leading to Qui Gon being killed by Darth Maul.). He then gave Maul a role in the second film, to give the series a recurrent villain. Oh, and made annakin older in the first film too. Like the age he was in the 2nd. It was really good, and he explained it a lot better than I ever could. He only did the first two films, but I think his account has been blocked as I can't find them anymore.

I'm about to look into these remakes with all the little changes, it sounds very interesting. I'm not a stickler for the original trilogy, though I can understand and respect where that party is coming from on certain topics. I'll never understand the Jar-jar hate though.

Darth Mardsen so you have a link to the full movies mentioned in the thread? I read through the page you linked to a couple times and didn't see one, even though I feel like it has to be right in front of me. I can't wait to see if the storm-trooper still hits his head in that one shot, I didn't see mention of it in the list of what was fixed.

We likely won't see Star Wars 1313 (I hope EA continues it, but I'm not optimistic. Though, it would be really cool to see what a collaboration between LucasArts, ILM, Skywalker Sound, and Lucasfilm Animation would result in. All the stories I've read about the development reminds me of the early days of Lucasfilm Games when it was part of the Lucasfilm computer division and they shared talent and ideas between themselves, resulting in innovative and technologically advanced (for the time) video games).

But, we will see the result of some of the technology that was developed for the game. :)

Venture Beat has an article that says that the motion capture technology developed for Star Wars 1313 is going to be used in Hollywood films to assist in computer-generated films to cut down on production time. The video demonstration of the technology is really impressive. It should be interesting to see what ILM is able to do with it:

I'm about to look into these remakes with all the little changes, it sounds very interesting. I'm not a stickler for the original trilogy, though I can understand and respect where that party is coming from on certain topics. I'll never understand the Jar-jar hate though.

Darth Mardsen so you have a link to the full movies mentioned in the thread? I read through the page you linked to a couple times and didn't see one, even though I feel like it has to be right in front of me. I can't wait to see if the storm-trooper still hits his head in that one shot, I didn't see mention of it in the list of what was fixed.

The Star Wars films have never been the most politically correct, but Jar-Jar was absurdly racist and very irritating, and the fact that he appeared in SO MUCH of The Phantom Menace but ultimately contributed very little was probably what tipped him over the edge for a lot of people.

I don't know how OK it is to provide direct links to these fan-edits. Technically it's a kind of piracy (though pretty much everyone just sort of shrugs their shoulders and goes 'eh, whatever' if you happen to own the original films on DVD or whatnot), so I'm loath to link to places you can actually download them without being told it's not going to get me banned or whatnot.

I CAN link you to FanEdit.org, which is the main site about these Fan Edits. They don't actually host the edits, but there's a ton of info about them and if you're interested in some of them, then it's a good starting point.

Although if you're really serious about finding a particular fanedit you happen to like, dot wait around - there's plenty of info floating around.

You mean these?:

[youtbe]vYnIoXr8ghI

[vieo]51795047[/vimeo]

:)

No, it wasn't those. They were around 9 minutes long, and had storyboarded sketched scenes inserted. There was only a few changes made to the first film, but he carried those on to the second which led to a vastly improved and completely different film.

Time for some Deadringers!

The fan edit community tries to keep themselves out of the spotlight, considering that the distribution of fan edits is in sort of a grey area concerning the law.

Most fan edits have big disclaimer cards at the start of them saying that YOU MUST OWN THE OFFICIAL VERSION OF THIS FILM and THIS EDIT IS FREE; IF YOU BOUGHT IT, GET A REFUND. That sort of thing.

Fanedit.org has information about fan edits, but has no links to where you go to download them. Umm... what Marsden said would provide you with files used by Usenet and/or JDownloader to locate and download a collection of multiple .zip/.rar files which, when extracted together, contain one particular fan edit.

Some fan edits can be found on public torrent sites, but there is a private torrent site called Myspleen that you can only get access to if you get an invite link from someone who already has an account there. ...someone like me. Myspleen was started by a member of the originaltrilogy.com forum community as a way to better secure and distribute Star Wars fan edits in particular.

Oh, and for the Double Fine mods out there: George Lucas and Lucasfilm already knew about Star Wars fan edits. (read this article, at the bottom of page 2 and top of page 3).

When fanboys wailed, Lucas did not just hear the scream of young Jedis; he heard something like the voice of the studio. The dumb, uncomprehending voice in his Socratic dialogues — a voice telling him how to make a blockbuster. “On the Internet, all those same guys that are complaining I made a change are completely changing the movie,” Lucas says, referring to fans who, like the dreaded studios, have done their own forcible re-edits. “I’m saying: ‘Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it.’ ”

George isn't too happy that they exist, but his and LucasFilm's stance on it was that, so long as they weren't losing money (since faneditors insist that people buy the official versions first), they wouldn't do anything to stop it. Most anyone who knows about fan edits at all knows about The Phantom Edit, since it was the first to get the ball rolling. And Adywan has been getting some attention too outside of the fan edit community. And yet the powers-that-be are doing nothing so long as they don't lose money over it.

Fanedit.org has information about fan edits, but has no links to where you go to download them. Umm... what Marsden said would provide you with files used by Usenet and/or JDownloader to locate and download a collection of multiple .zip/.rar files which, when extracted together, contain one particular fan edit.
I did nothing, I said nothing, you heard nothing...

I-Know-Nothing.jpg

I had no idea this whole thing was so hush-hush. Thanks for the advice. I'll see what else I can find out without tainting this decent forum, I think I know a guy though.

i-know-a-guy-who-knows-a-guy-who-knows-a-guy.jpg

More info about 1313.

REALLY wished they'd finished this now - it sounds awesome. :(

On that note, something even more depressing:

A look at all projects in development at the time Disney bought LucasArts.

I'm really bummed that the Day of the Tentacle Special Edition never will see the light of day (and even more so that it was almost finished). :(

(and that last sentence is on-topic) ;)

The list of cancelled projects goes on and on. There was Smuggler, a game designed for cross-platform multiplayer that would let you play as a customizable character within the Star Wars universe, smuggling and trading between Facebook, tablets, and consoles.

There was Outpost, the Star Wars take on Zynga's FarmVille that would let players build empires, one click at a time.

There was Death Star, the iOS game in which you'd get to control your very own version of the Empire's iconic space station.

There was the online service that would be LucasArts’ very own version of Origin, EA's network for distributing games and servicing online multiplayer. Like Origin for EA, this LucasArts-branded network would help the company distribute Star Wars games and in-app purchases. According to one person familiar with plans for this network, it would have launched alongside Star Wars: First Assault, which would have had some sort of microtransaction store.

Yeah...so depressed to never see those come to light, right?

Harmy just released v2.5 of his Despecialized Edition of "Star Wars" in MKV format. It's in 720p, has 3 lossless audio tracks, 4 commentary tracks, 1 audio track for the visually impaired, and 10 foreign dubs. For anyone who cares, I put it on the spleen a couple days ago, and it has almost 70 seeders atm.

I think he said the Bluray should be out by the end of the year.

I try not to go into prequel bashing, but Peter Serafinowicz, who voiced Darth Maul, tells funny stories about being involved with Phantom Menace. It's on Richard Herring's podcast, here, and it starts at about 14:30.

While I agree that, in hindsight, the prequels aren't the best, it almost seems like they were made in a more innocent time, before the internet ruined our ability to enjoy things.

Actually, I would say they were made during a /less/ innocent time (than the OOT), because George has been unwilling to listen to advice ever since he became rich and famous.

Again, that being said, I don't think the prequels are /irretrievably/ bad. Proper editing goes a long way in improving them.

Somewhat related to the topic.....somewhat freakin' hilarious.

And this is just amazing animation.

I did nothing, I said nothing, you heard nothing...

I-Know-Nothing.jpg

s6EaoPMANQM