Chyron

Star Wars - May The Thread Be With You

I'm finished making my Star Wars OOT covers.

I'm going to include .psd versions of the files for anyone who wants to make personal edits (such as adding "Episode IV" and "A New Hope" to the Star Wars cover and "V"/"VI" to the ESB/ROTJ spines, or else changing the Harmy credit to Adywan or something.)

There /are/ roman numerals on the spines and other such things like that in the PSDs, but their layers are just hidden in favor of the covers being used for Harmy's edition.

So, even though the PNGs are for Harmy's OOT AVCHDs, the PSDs can be easily changed to be used for a different edit.

Also, for anyone who cares (and for myself for future reference) the font used for my crawl is called "Franklin Gothic Medium Condensed" and the font for the text on the spine is called "Trajan Pro".

----

Star Wars (download: PNG -- PSD):

UYCT9zT.png

----

The Empire Strikes Back (download: PNG -- PSD):

9qyiWcJ.png

----

Return of the Jedi (download: PNG -- PSD):

dDeLpnj.png

Is there any place on the net that has relatively high quality versions of the originals, that is, Star Wars while they still numbered them 1-3 instead of 4-6? Or are those available from that time only the VHS low-quality rips?

I believe it's the VHS rips only, unless there's any fan-edits out there that change them (which I don't believe there are).

I don't think they were ever numbered 1-3. When Empire Strikes Back came out in the theatre, it was called "Episode V"

It was "Star Wars" that had no number originally. "Episode IV" and "A New Hope" were added to it at some point when it came to VHS.

Apparently the English titles used Episode V, Episode VI from the start, yes.

The cinema did only use the subtitle in Swedish and totally ditched the series title. The TV broadcasts called them by numbers 2, 3 in the Swedish titles. So, "Stjärnornas krig", "Rymdimperiet slår tillbaka" and "Jedin slår tillbaka", with "Stjärnornas krig [2|3]: " prepended for the latter two in TV titling.

Sadly, VHS is 335x576 pixels in PAL (really analogue luma and scanlines, but that's what it works out to) and thus awful. I think there is a laserdisc version of about double the NTSC resolution, and that's the best resolution of the non-recut versions you can get. But I can't find those online, I'm afraid :(

You'd be surprised.

I know Laserschwert and some others created a modified version of Harmy's DeSpec restoration, to give it a German title crawl and such.

vaWNL9f.jpg

rb8HIVK.jpg

So perhaps if there isn't a proper Swedish Stjärnornas Krig, someone could make or have made one.

Why would I want to have it in Swedish if I can have it in English? There is absolutely no reason since pretty much all Swedes above age 10 know English well enough to watch a movie in English, though many would want it to be subtitled.

The only names in the cast I recognize besides Ford, Hamill, Fisher, Daniel, Mayhew and Baker are Serkis, Isaac and Von Sydow.

LTcTu4H.jpg

The books are non-canon.

1OhX3d8.png?1

Oh, but "Bombad Jedi"?

That's some solid gold shit right there.

CANON.

pivG7Lk.jpg?1

KOTOR III was in pre-production at Obsidian, and LucasArts cancelled/didn't greenlight it.

UmQQlVw.jpg?1

The original trilogy I watched when I was a kid STILL has no official release that isn't either a LaserDisc or, more insulting, a non-anamorphic LaserDisc rip.

Star Wars is DEAD TO ME.

Here's the videos I mentioned a while back.

They're long, but stick through episode one. The small changes that are made have a big impact on 2, and actually make the film seem freakin awesome.

VgICnbC2-_Y

JAbug3AhYmw

Still no Episode 3, though.

The original trilogy I watched when I was a kid STILL has no official release that isn't either a LaserDisc or, more insulting, a non-anamorphic LaserDisc rip.
I recommend either Harmy's "Despecialized Edition", or dark_jedi's "Original Theatrical Edition".

Harmy's restorations from v2 onward are largely sourced from the official blurays for the video, mixed in with various other sources. His purpose is to get as close as humanly possible to the original theatrical release of each OT film. They're all released in AVCHD format in 720p. There is a new Bluray-sized MKV version of "Star Wars" with a truckload of audio tracks, but he's having difficulty finding Bluray encoding software that will include them all.

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/topic/12713/

dark_jedi's restorations are primarily sourced and upscaled from the 2006 Bonus DVD (which is the letterboxed Laserdisc transfer you mentioned).

http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/topic/10550/

dHfLX_TMduY

I can tell you that of all the things Lucas changed, this is the one I MOST wanted restored to its original state:

dV0LD-QAzg0 (note: this video is not sourced from the restorations I mentioned.)

I recommend either Harmy's "Despecialized Edition", or dark_jedi's "Original Theatrical Edition".

For my personal use, I have something called Hyperspace Collection.

Any reason I should switch?

Well, I don't recall if I've watched OmegaMattman's Hyperspace Collection, but as he says, his primary source is the GOUT (2006 Bonus DVD). From what I've seen, improvement to picture quality from GOUT can only go so far, considering it's only about 720x270 (I just checked).

I just read Death Troopers again for the third time. I still love that book.

Damn. I didn't know Disney was gonna go THIS far.

sith_snow_white_by_pushfighter-d604pis.jpg

Little surprised they didn't put Maleficent in that role, but even so... damn. Se can ignite my lightsaber any time.

Little surprised they didn't put Maleficent in that role, but even so... damn. Se can ignite my lightsaber any time.

You were saying?

slave_princess_jasmine_by_pushfighter-d61w7y7.jpg

sith_elsa_by_pushfighter-d6waaff.jpg

Did anyone see this? I like the Clone Wars, so I think this looks pretty cool. I like that the cast is original characters too. Instead of being mostly people from the movies and a couple others who aren't.

_soLH5MWGOg

Looks good, but also looks a bit to familiar. Hopefully this teaser is most fan-service, and the new movie doesn't just have more of everything we already seen multiple times.

Don't like the lightsaber though.

The crossguard ugly as fuck

Not sure whst to think of the ball droid

The trailer looks like fanfilm garbage to me.

The only shot in the whole trailer I liked was the ball droid.

The rest of it was terrible.

The laser hilt on the lightsaber looks dumb and impractical. The new Stormtrooper helmets don't look very functional either since there is less armor on them now. I hate the way the new S-Foils on the new X-Wings open. Just looks dumb as hell.

I am not pleased.

Also, anybody else notice they changed the radar dish on the Falcon to be some rectangular thing? Ugh.