Chyron

Star Wars - May The Thread Be With You

I saw the trailers and just knew it was one of those movies where "this isn't what we're going to get".ย  Glad I was right.ย  I haven't seen it yet, but I had it spoiled for me(on request.ย  Ignorance doesn't make something a good movie to me).ย  Not great, but good was the consensus.ย  I'll see it in the new year when I have time(damn retail job).

ย 

Edit: The internet hates it though.

Edited by Johro

I don't know how to process this movie.

Edit: I slept on it, this is a good movie with some idiosyncratic choices with regard to pacing and plot. There's some stuff with Finn and this new character Rose that feels a bit too incidental and draws attention away from more interesting developments in the story. There's also a lot more cutting from scene to scene, like this movie has weirdly short scenes, and it might be nice if we stuck around a specific location or with a couple of characters for longer durations before cutting back.

It's also sort of sad that we're 2/3rds intoย this new Trilogy and our new characters are still meeting and getting to know each other. By this time in the original there was already a strong and familiar dynamic between our main trio and the side characters, it would be nice if Rey, Finn, and Poe were at a similar place. But this is something the 3rd movie can hopefully remedy.

Issues aside, I largely loved everything this movie did with it's characters and the development of this ongoing story. I had a lot of ideas about where they might take this and I was largely wrong, and now that I've let go of those assumptions, I'm really happy with where they took it.

Looking forward to IX... in 2 years *sigh*

Edited by Tiny Dust!

Loved it!! Going to watch it again so until then I can't properly rate it, but I came out with a mostly positive experience. The part of the internet that seems to hate it are the people who fanboyed about fan theories and had their expectations utterly crushed. I was hoping for this, those who didn't probably won't, though. I think that people who didn't really like TFA will like TLJ and people who really liked TFA will be disappointed in TLJ for the most part. Meanwhile, if you just enjoyed TFA you will enjoy TLJ as well. It seems to continue a trend that TFA started of being better than the PT but maybe not up to most peoples' OT standards. Spoilers below.

I loved that Luke's V1 made it into the film somehow but I'm exceedingly sad that he didn't use it in his "duel" with Kylo. Obviously he threw it away long ago, judging from how he initially just callously threw the Graflex away. There was no reason for him to use it in that scene. It made no sense. It must have been fan service having everyone see him with Old Blue again but I honestly don't think it was necessary and was let down by it.

But that's ok. It was in the film and had a nice closeup to boot! I'm sure we'll be getting TLJ designs for the Hero from smiths eventually. I don't know how much difference there is (it was hard to tell wearing those 3D glasses that dim everything and make it fuzzy and flickery.....I hate 3D glasses) but it seemed different somehow.

I also loved how they treated the similarities to the classic films this time around. It starts out being very close to ESB but they very smartly also made it a mix of ESB AND ROTJ at the same time! Really shows that they're turning the storylines on their heads. I take that as a direct message that they're done with "copying" the originals. And they also twisted around the ROTJ format to boot. At first I was excited that Kylo turned on Snoke (and also glad that that nobody was out of the picture) but realized seconds before it happened that he was doing it for himself in true Dark Side fashion.

All of that really drives home the whole "forget the past" angle on both sides with Kylo erasing the past and Luke/Yoda (I LOVED that cameo! lol) destroying the Jedi tree and texts. All of this is more and more evidence that they are going in a new direction for Ep9. Though, I wonder what they're going to do with Leia..

The only thing I felt was stupid was making Luke disappear at the end. I couldn't figure out why he was struggling at the end there and with Leia and Rey both sensing something impending. And then they kill him off. Bah. Right after he just said "See you around, kid" to Kylo. It just felt really jarring and out of place. I'm sure he'll be a ghost but I really would have rather had him in actual action with his Hero hilt. I know it makes sense ultimately, but....agh...just a bit of a letdown to an otherwise fantastic experience. I also didn't like the whole "destroy this rich town" bit that just seemed so rushed and slammed in your face suddenly. It all happened too quickly to really care about.

Oh, I also think lady admiral with the purple hair looked stupid.

But as I said, otherwise a mostly great experience. I'm hesitant to say whether it's better than ESB (or any other OT film) yet. It's too soon and ESB was never my favourite anyway. But I did really enjoy the story. Loved the twists and turns and not knowing what to expect. That's the thing, despite its similarity to ESB (and ROTJ with a twist), I found myself never knowing what was going to happen from one moment to the next. That is similarity and homage to originals done right. Will have to see it again soon!

Also, this article is a great read that sums up my thoughts fairly well:

โ€˜The Last Jediโ€™ Doesnโ€™t Care What You Think About โ€˜Star Warsโ€™ โ€“ And Thatโ€™s Why Itโ€™s Great

I may be biased because I'm a huge fan of Rian Johnson. Brick is in my top 10, Looper is fantastic, and some of my favorite episodes of Breaking Bad were his.

3 hours ago, Noname215 said:

I may be biased because I'm a huge fan of Rian Johnson. Brick is in my top 10, Looper is fantastic, and some of my favorite episodes of Breaking Bad were his.

True Rian Johnson fans love The Brothers Bloom.

@MusicallyInspiredย I can definitely relate to having your hopes for the direction the story would take crushed. I had that to a lesser degree for a few hours after seeing the film. I had this idea of what the movie would be, and in so many ways, Rian almost goes there, and then pulls back because that's not really the story he wants to tell, or he wants to tell it in a different way. And it's a great movie, and I really like it, I just had to unburden myself of my expectations before I could come to terms with that. I think I'll like it even better on the second viewing, free of my assumptions and with the knowledge of what the movie actually is.

22 hours ago, Tiny Dust! said:

True Rian Johnson fans love The Brothers Bloom.

@MusicallyInspiredย I can definitely relate to having your hopes for the direction the story would take crushed. I had that to a lesser degree for a few hours after seeing the film. I had this idea of what the movie would be, and in so many ways, Rian almost goes there, and then pulls back because that's not really the story he wants to tell, or he wants to tell it in a different way. And it's a great movie, and I really like it, I just had to unburden myself of my expectations before I could come to terms with that. I think I'll like it even better on the second viewing, free of my assumptions and with the knowledge of what the movie actually is.

I think exactly this is the reason it's getting hammered on RT by audiences. It's a lot of butthurt fans who were agonizing over convoluted fan theories for two years that feel betrayed. I wasn't around back then, but someone else told me that ESB did the same thing and it was met with much the same criticism when it first came out. Then ROTJ came out and a lot of people considered it "worse" which bounced ESB up a few notches. And here we are today with a majority opinion ranking ESB the highest (I'm not in that group).

But back to my point, I'm seeing countless people online saying that they didn't like it upon their first viewing, but on their second viewing they appreciated it a lot more for what it was and ended up really enjoying it. Just gotta get over that hurdle. I think the split controversy at the moment is a good thing. That means it's something everyone cares about. Negative publicity is good publicity and all that. I think in the long run most will end up liking it much like ESB.

I think a lot of fans compare all of them to ESB and that's the issue.ย  We will never get another ESB.ย  Not in Hollywood.ย  No fantasy movie, in today's Hollywood, will kick you when you're down and leave you like that.ย  No trilogy will be like the first trilogy in the foreseeable future.ย  Folks need to get over that.ย  Same with fantasy as a genre.ย  Call them what you will, but they are still fantasy movies and will fall into some of the same clichรฉs as fantasy movies.ย  People I know have said "I can see the Disney influence".ย  Same as online.ย  I think that's just a cop-out for any whimsical aspect of a new Star Wars movie.ย  As I said, you wont get another gritty ESB movie and all the others had whimsical or cutesy moments in them.ย  I just thought that was dumb when I heard it.ย  All the Star Wars movies had fairytale aspects to them.

Empire has that dope romance subplot with Han and Leia, and of course Yoda is pretty silly.

People forget so easily how ESB is more than just it's darkness. It's not even that it leaves everyone in bad position at the end. It's just the perfect storm of a movie. Great writing, great direction, great performances. It's not just the current climate of movie making, it's that that specific movie stands alone as a film.

16 minutes ago, โ›ธCoolsome on Iceโ›ธ said:
ย  Reveal hidden contents

So just who the hell was Snoke anyway?ย 

ย 

The pre-sequel trilogy will answer that, of course!

Here's a fan-freaking-tastic spoiler-filled video by a guy on YouTube. It's an hour long but man does he make excellent points. This guy gets it.

I really appreciate that Yoda was actually a puppet this time and not a CGI turd.

53 minutes ago, Noname215 said:

ย 

ย  Hide contents

I really appreciate that Yoda was actually a puppet this time and not a CGI turd.

ย 

Spoiler

I appreciated that. Sucks that he was all squashed and weird though.

ย 

See, I always preferred when CGI is used to enhance practical effects, rather than dilute them.

Some things that confused me:ย 

Floating Jedi Angel Leia in Space? I guess they wanted to emphasise that Leia has shown to be force sensitive before, in The Return of the Jedi, but this was a weird way to do it.

No explanation at all where Snooke was during the original trilogy, what made him appear in The Force Awakens, and how he corrupted Ben Solo

Edited by Cecil

Some things I didn't care for:ย 

It's weird that they doubled down on the reversal of all progress made in the Original Trilogy in defeating the empire, to the point where they end up with so few left of the rebell alliance, that they can fit on the Millenium Falcon.ย 

I want assurances that Luke appears in Episode 9. Mark Hamill is to good to waste here.ย 

Those weird nuns that suddenly just appeared on the island. They looked out of place, and would have fitted more in Attack of the Clones.ย 

Benicio del Toros character background, actions and reasoning behind them were great. But he too easily jumped on the chance to hyperspace travel to Snookes ship.ย 

But I liked:

Pretty much everything else.

Space fights were great.

Luke was great, good revelations that expanded on all the characters.ย 

Kylo is a better villain then Snooke.ย 

Laura Derns characters was really good.ย 

The whole sequence where she trashed Snookes ship with a hyperspace jump was really well made. Fantastic work with the sound there.ย 

Awesome lightsaber battle in the throne room. Better then all lightsabre battles in the prequel trilogy.ย 

I understood Lukes actions, and the whole sequence with the revelation about him and Ben Solo was really good - Lukes side, Kylos side, and then the truth.

Rian Johnson handled the explanation about the force better then most other movies in the series.ย 

It was more a movie about characters then bombastic scenes, and it made it very good.ย 

Just make sure to bring back Luke in the next movie!ย 

Why do you keep calling him "Snooke" instead of "Snoke"?

11 minutes ago, Chyron said:

Why do you keep calling him "Snooke" instead of "Snoke"?

Because that's how we pronounce his name here in Sweden.ย 

(or because I made an error while spelling it. One of those reasons).ย 

On 20/12/2017 at 1:09 AM, Cheeseness said:
ย  Hide contents

I appreciated that. Sucks that he was all squashed and weird though.

ย 

I'm ok with it. Makes him look older. I know it doesn't make sense that you age as a Force ghost because you're already dead for all intents and purposes. But still. It was a puppet not CGI. I'll forgive it.

11 hours ago, Cecil said:

ย 

ย  Hide contents

Floating Jedi Angel Leia in Space? I guess they wanted to emphasise that Leia has shown to be force sensitive before, in The Return of the Jedi, but this was a weird way to do it.

No explanation at all where Snooke was during the original trilogy, what made him appear in The Force Awakens, and how he corrupted Ben Solo

Yeah, Leia Poppins looked a little awkward but I chalk that up to her age and not being very spry for filming it. But it was a huge thing to do. But I think that just goes to show her power with the Force. Awkward, yes. But again, I have to forgive it.

As for Snoke, it doesn't matter who he was or how he came to power. He was just an idiot that messed with a Skywalker. I'm sure we'll get some expanded lore on him in future canon novels for the curious, though. (I'm curious, but I'm just ok with it not being revealed in this trilogy)