Chyron

Star Wars - May The Thread Be With You

With all her staff fighting abilities, Rey should get the Darth Maul style double light saber in IX.

2 hours ago, Noname215 said:

With all her staff fighting abilities, Rey should get the Darth Maul style double light saber in IX.

Spoiler

Considering the Skywalker saber is busted. I wouldn't be surprised is Rey uses her mechanical savvy to cobble together something like that from it's remains.

21 hours ago, MusicallyInspired said:

Hide contents

I'm ok with it. Makes him look older. I know it doesn't make sense that you age as a Force ghost because you're already dead for all intents and purposes. But still. It was a puppet not CGI. I'll forgive it.

Spoiler

I didn't get an increased age sense from it, but it's definitely not something that I'd say had an impact on whether or not I liked the film. It's just a small disappointing oddity.

They lied. They only showed one of those teaser trailers for a teaser trailer. The actual trailer drops tomorrow.

That guy is not Han Solo. Period. Lando, on the other hand, looks fantastic.

It just hit me today that this movie is essentially a giant "Han shot last". Han Solo is supposed to be a ruthless scoundrel selfish smuggler who looks out for nobody but himself. He meets friends and becomes a hero. That's his OT arc. Making Han shoot last instead of first undermined that character arc which is why people made such a ruckus when that was changed in the SE. Now we're getting an entire film about Han that takes place before ANH which will undoubtedly and unavoidably portray Han in a heroic light. Something he's not supposed to do until ANH.

However, despite this I can still enjoy it if it's made well. But I'm certainly not watching for the backstory or to see Han. Just for the extra lore and interesting locations/cinematography.

Also, why could the film look more like the posters? The posters present this almost 60's sci-fi/70s western kind of vibe with the bright colours and stuff. Yet the trailer is yet another gritty stark contrasting light look that we've already had 3 times in a row. It'd be nice to have a change of atmosphere and vibe.

solo-star-wars-poster-han-solo-530x785.jsolo-star-wars-poster-lando-530x785.jpg

solo-star-wars-poster-chewie-530x785.jpgsolo-star-wars-poster-qira-530x785.jpg

That scene with the club singer in the gold dress looks like it could have some vibrant colors. And the 00:50 mark is absolutely a western moment.

On the whole, the teaser looks the same as every other Star Wars trailer for the past 4 years. It doesn't look like the posters vibe at all. It's hard to believe they're both for the same film.

The creators of the Game of Thrones tv series are getting their own Star Wars movies (separate from the Skywalker saga, much like Rian Johnson's new trilogy).

14 hours ago, Noname215 said:

I honestly liked Solo more than Rogue One.

Me too.

I didn't enjoy Solo. It felt like an episode of a tv show where they take one episode to give a character's entire backstory up to that point so they cram in every important life event and use a ton of shorthand. I really don't care how the Millennium Falcon got dirty or what personal significance those golden dice have to Han (especially since I never even noticed them in the OT, even if the new films seem to have decided they're an iconic prop) or what the exact details of that Kessel Run/parsec boast are. It also meant there was no real narrative structure and that I didn't care about most of the characters because there was no time to get to know any of them. Apart from all that, it was rather gloomy throughout (mood and visuals) and the action sequences were generally not very well directed.

On 6/5/2018 at 6:49 PM, TimeGentleman said:

I didn't enjoy Solo. It felt like an episode of a tv show where they take one episode to give a character's entire backstory up to that point so they cram in every important life event and use a ton of shorthand. I really don't care how the Millennium Falcon got dirty or what personal significance those golden dice have to Han (especially since I never even noticed them in the OT, even if the new films seem to have decided they're an iconic prop) or what the exact details of that Kessel Run/parsec boast are. It also meant there was no real narrative structure and that I didn't care about most of the characters because there was no time to get to know any of them. Apart from all that, it was rather gloomy throughout (mood and visuals) and the action sequences were generally not very well directed.

I agree with all of this, particularly in regards to the dice.  Why is that suddenly a thing?  They were just a piece of set dressing in the original movies, that like yourself, I didn't even notice at the time.

I like the fact that giant space squids are now officially canon in the Star Wars universe.

I thought the movie was fine. Not amazing, a bit of a silly bit of fluff, but enjoyable enough. I'd happily watch a Lando movie with Donald Glover after this.

Then again, I did just watch Justice League, so my perception may be somewhat warped right now. 

On 6/11/2018 at 5:00 PM, Alcoremortis said:

I thought the movie was fine. Not amazing, a bit of a silly bit of fluff, but enjoyable enough. I'd happily watch a Lando movie with Donald Glover after this.

Solo is probably the best Disney era Star Wars movie, in my opinion but it's saying something when I still only rate it as a 6/10 (slightly above average).  I would give it a 5/10 but that little green alien in a jar, singing with a deep voice, notched it up a point.

A Lando movie would be okay, I guess but honestly, I really want to see Disney do something different with the Star Wars universe and not rely on established characters and time periods so much.  I know that they are (or at least, were) planning to allow Rian Johnson to do his own trilogy, which supposedly fits the remit of what I'd care to see but there's one big problem with that; Rian Johnson himself.  If The Last Jedi is any indication, then I don't want him anywhere near Star Wars ever again.  Genuinely, The Last Jedi is one of the worst movies that I've ever seen.

If we absolutely must have spin-off movies based around pre-existing characters, then I think that we can all agree that Little Green Alien in a Jar: A Star Wars Story is the way to go.  Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Edited by Right Said Brett
Kelsey Grammar

Lol.

Yeah, I'd really like them to just go with like a totally different time period with no connection to any of the current movie characters. But in lieu of that, I'd be cool with a Lando movie.

On 6/20/2018 at 4:33 AM, MusicallyInspired said:

I heard Donald Glover is firm on not wanting to return as Lando in any capacity.

I hadn't heard that myself but it wouldn't surprise me.  I reckon that set must have been absolutely miserable to be on, what with all of the behind the scenes turmoil.  Naturally, Disney's PR machine tried to put a positive spin on the change of directors and what have you but if you read between the lines (and know how Hollywood operates), that production was toxic.

Oh it's way worse I'm sure. Trevorrow called the atmosphere at LucasFilm "acidic".

I heard (but have no links) that all the Anthology films are put on ice and that Kiri Hart (VP and head of the Star Wars Story Group) is replacing Kennedy. Rian Johnson's triloy, the GoT writers' trilogy, and the Jon Favreau live action TV show are still a go, though.

Edited by MusicallyInspired

21 hours ago, MusicallyInspired said:

Oh it's way worse I'm sure. Trevorrow called the atmosphere at LucasFilm "acidic".

I heard (but have no links) that all the Anthology films are put on ice and that Kiri Hart (VP and head of the Star Wars Story Group) is replacing Kennedy. Rian Johnson's triloy, the GoT writers' trilogy, and the Jon Favreau live action TV show are still a go, though.

I'll honestly be very surprised if Rian Johnson's trilogy actually goes ahead.  The Last Jedi and its divisive reaction (to be put it kindly) is undoubtedly partly to blame for Solo bombing.

Well....dang. Grain of salt 'n all, but what would she gain by lying? Clicks and views I guess, but she has a fairly large following and being dishonest now would just hurt her in the future (Grace Randolph, I mean). I hope it's true.

Edited by MusicallyInspired

15 hours ago, MusicallyInspired said:

Clicks and views

Yes, this is why she's lying.

It's completely irrelevant whether she's lying or not.

FACT:  Serious discussions regarding Kathleen Kennedy's position and future at Lucasfilm are happening and have been happening for some time now, behind closed doors.

SOURCE:  Basic logic.

Greenlighting and releasing a highly divisive movie, to the point of fracturing the fanbase, in a series that's all about appealing to people from all walks of life; leading to the next movie in said series becoming the biggest box office bomb of the year, is liable to put your appointed job in serious jeopardy, to say the least.

In Hollywood, you're only ever as successful as your last movie.

Edited by Right Said Brett