• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Chyron

Star Wars - May The Thread Be With You

On 6/27/2018 at 10:33 PM, Right Said Brett said:

FACT

You should start your own anti-Kennedy video channel!

On 6/29/2018 at 6:12 PM, TimeGentleman said:

You should start your own anti-Kennedy video channel!

I'm not that much of a loser neckbeard, you know?  Also, as an extremely casual Star Wars fan (the kind who doesn't even own any of the movies on DVD), I really don't have that much vested interest in the series.  I am fascinated by Hollywood politics though.

I never said that Kennedy will be ousted.  I'm simply saying that there will have been discussions regarding the possibility.  To what extend those discussions have elevated to, that is up for debate.  However, the fact that there will have undoubtedly been discussions of some kind, is really not up for debate.  Solo is the biggest box office bomb of the year, thus far (and is likely to remain so).  The biggest box office bomb of the year also happens to be an installment in one of the biggest sure-fire money making franchises of all time.  The higher ups at Disney will have certain things to discuss regarding that and in particular, how they wish to handle the person whom spearheaded, greenlit and produced said bomb (Kennedy).  How is that not a fact, going by the logic of rudimentary cause and effect?

You surely can't be implying that it's all sunshine and roses over at the House of Mouse and that Kennedy's position is 100% secure and no discussions have taken place between her bosses, behind closed doors?  I stick by what I said and in the context of which I said it.  It's a FACT.  I might not have any proof to back that fact up but I don't need it because I am infallible.

Actually, no, wait... now I remember; inflammable is what I am.  Please disregard everything that I just said.  There's a naked flame nearby and it's making me extremely nervous and that is a fact.

Solo might be a bomb regarding projected ticket profits, but it still more than made up for its budget. It's not like the film was a financial disaster. I feel like people make its shortfall out to be a bigger problem than it really is. Sure, Disney/LFL want to make as much money as they can from a project, but not meeting projections is not the same thing as not making a profit. Maybe their projections were just wrong.

Edited by Chyron

3 hours ago, Right Said Brett said:

You surely can't be implying that it's all sunshine and roses over at the House of Mouse and that Kennedy's position is 100% secure and no discussions have taken place between her bosses, behind closed doors?

No, I was implying that your conjecture is not a FACT, no matter how many times you say it, capitalise it or format it.

On 7/2/2018 at 5:56 PM, Chyron said:

Solo might be a bomb regarding projected ticket profits, but it still more than made up for its budget. It's not like the film was a financial disaster. I feel like people make its shortfall out to be a bigger problem than it really is. Sure, Disney/LFL want to make as much money as they can from a project, but not meeting projections is not the same thing as not making a profit. Maybe their projections were just wrong.

You're wrong.  I don't think that you know how box-office accounting works.  The general wisdom is that a movie on the scale of Solo needs to make approximately 2.5 times it's budget, just to breakeven.  This is because studios generally spend around the same amount as a movie's budget on marketing and also only receive a percentage of the box-office (cinemas take their cut and the studio also receives a lower percentage from foreign box-office takings).  Solo has an estimated budget of $275 million (and that's conservative, given the extensive reshoots) and would therefore need to make at least $550 just to breakeven.  Solo's total box-office, thus far?  $370.  It's a bomb and a financial disaster, whichever way you cut it.

On 7/2/2018 at 9:00 PM, TimeGentleman said:

No, I was implying that your conjecture is not a FACT, no matter how many times you say it, capitalise it or format it.

I know.  I was was being purposefully obtuse because I'm a git.

Edited by Right Said Brett

Film budgets usually include marketing/promotion (unless specified as a production budget, of course).

29 minutes ago, Cheeseness said:

Film budgets usually include marketing/promotion (unless specified as a production budget, of course).

I'm sorry but no they don't.  You're wrong.  Budgets are usually listed as the production budget.  It would be highly unusual for them not to be.  For a change, I know of what I speak.

21 minutes ago, Right Said Brett said:

I'm sorry but no they don't.  You're wrong.  Budgets are usually listed as the production budget.  It would be highly unusual for them not to be.  For a change, I know of what I speak.

I suppose it depends on who you talk to and whether a third party distributor is handling marketing/promotion.

2 hours ago, Cheeseness said:

I suppose it depends on who you talk to and whether a third party distributor is handling marketing/promotion.

There will always be a degree of variance, to an extent but in the case of Solo; it hasn't broken even.  Not even close.  The production budget is listed as $275 (Hollywood accounting; it's probably closer to $350, given the reshoots).  That does not include the marketing budget.  It's a bomb, plain and simple.

21 minutes ago, Right Said Brett said:

There will always be a degree of variance, to an extent but in the case of Solo; it hasn't broken even.  Not even close.

It's an aside, but Return of the Jedi still hasn't made a profit. Film accounting is difficult to take seriously at the best of times.

12 hours ago, Cheeseness said:

It's an aside, but Return of the Jedi still hasn't made a profit. Film accounting is difficult to take seriously at the best of times.

Yes.  That's daft.  There's a few cases of that kind of nonsense with successful Hollywood movies.  I trust that you aren't implying that Solo is such a case though?

1 hour ago, Right Said Brett said:

I trust that you aren't implying that Solo is such a case though?

Is this you being a purposefully obtuse git again?

2 hours ago, TimeGentleman said:

Is this you being a purposefully obtuse git again?

No, I'm generally curious if that was what was been implied.  There's no hostility behind my question, just a desire for clarification.

23 hours ago, Cheeseness said:

It's an aside

15 hours ago, Cheeseness said:

Sorry, Cheeseness.  Thank you for the (re)clarification.

Clone Wars is back. 12 more episodes to tie off the old series. Mostly if not all consisting of pre-written and pre-recorded/animated content. Finally we'll be able to see it all. I didn't think I'd be excited about Star Wars again. At least not this soon.