Chyron

Star Wars - May The Thread Be With You

Well, who knows. At least it's Abrams doing it and not Dave Filoni.
Why would that be a bad thing?

Well apparently I'm the only person who likes the new trailer and everything I saw in it. I even like the cross guard because Star Wars has always been form over function, light sabers themselves aren't exactly practical weaponry when you stop and think about it. One mishandling of the hilt and someone loses a limb, or worse.

This is why Force users are the only ones who use lightsabers.

Well apparently I'm the only person who likes the new trailer and everything I saw in it. I even like the cross guard because Star Wars has always been form over function, light sabers themselves aren't exactly practical weaponry when you stop and think about it. One mishandling of the hilt and someone loses a limb, or worse. Ball Droid was adorable and I don't know why, but the idea of having a storm trooper as a major character excites me. I'm honestly hyped for this movie and until I see something truly concerning between now and then, I'm looking forward to next year.

I'm also liking it. I'm just hoping that they will start to expand the move universe, and be able add things outside the usual formula. Tatooine is iconic, but it's been done quite a few times now.

People complaining about the ball droid must have missade the collection of droids the jawa's had in the first movie. :)

Well apparently I'm the only person who likes the new trailer and everything I saw in it. I even like the cross guard because Star Wars has always been form over function, light sabers themselves aren't exactly practical weaponry when you stop and think about it. One mishandling of the hilt and someone loses a limb, or worse.

General Grievous wasn't a Force user. And he used four lightsabers at once.

General Grievous wasn't a Force user. And he used four lightsabers at once.

As a cyborg he has better reflexes than a human as well.

And even then he wasn't very good at using them was he? A Jedi Master took him down relatively easily.

Practicality aside, I still burst out laughing when the two tiny lightsabers popped out of the big one.

I was totally not expecting that.

Watched it, had a think about it, watched it again, formed serious thoughts.

It all seems pretty solid (if not more!) aside from the lightsaber, which WOULD have been fine if not for the cross guard. It may be practical, it may not - either way it just looks silly.

The more I watch it, the more happy I am that they're doing this. That people actually are arguing about light sabre designs in 2014 is f*cking great :). I absolutely love this big spectacles of matinee adventure movies and all these discussions, trailers and what not that follows with it.

It might turn out to be a shitty movie, but I love that they're trying.

9UYWpAn.gif

Y'know, if they had angled the crossguard away from the handle by 45 degrees, I would totally be fine with this.

But as it is, it just looks completely ridiculous, impractical and stupid.

IMO, that is a total fanboy design and I don't like it one bit.

Y'know, if they had angled the crossguard away from the handle by 45 degrees, I would totally be fine with this.

Yes. Yes it would. And yes, it does.

How awesome was that bulky land speeder Daisy Ridley was riding, it was all junky and dirty, nice to see some of that lived in look back in Star Wars.

The lived-in look is because there had been a galaxy-wide civil war for 20 years. The prequels didn't have the lived-in look because the time-frame they took place in was at the tail end of 5000 years of galactic peace. In comparison, the original trilogy took place in a time-frame where everyone is poor and scraping by and the only people who could afford nice things were the Empire.

9UYWpAn.gif

IMO, that is a total fanboy design and I don't like it one bit.

You know, a crosshatch would actually keep another lightsaber wielder from swiping his saber down and taking off his hand, so in a way the crosshatch has a protective advantage.

That being said, this whole trailer looks too fan made.

You know, a crosshatch would actually keep another lightsaber wielder from swiping his saber down and taking off his hand, so in a way the crosshatch has a protective advantage.

If it were angled 45 degrees away like I said though, you'd get the same effect, while at the same time not risking cutting off your hand or fingers. :P

If it were angled 45 degrees away like I said though, you'd get the same effect, while at the same time not risking cutting off your hand or fingers. :P

I'm wondering whether the delay is because he activated the crossguard after, or if there's simply a delay on charge up

From GAF:

t9krc4yurt8aenrzmg0v.jpg

(I'm just going to add, that while I'm harping on the lightsaber, this movie still looks waaaaaay better than I was expecting. It probably won't live up to the original trilogy, but as long as it's better than the prequels, admittedly a low bar, I'll be happy)

Well, looks like another (the franchise doesn't matter a lot) J.J. Abrams movie. Might be as exciting as Jurassic World, The Avengers 44, ...

Lightsabers used to be cool but as soon as you started thinking about them they were ... let's say they caused too many headaches. They can be fun in VR or as an item in your inventory though.

Hmm, this reminds me of those lightsabers where the sword is wired to an external energy source. Media ... 1 2

I'm talking about the movie.

You mean Attack of the Clones then.

Y'know what? Let's just agree that every Star Wars movie made between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens is crap.

Anybody here ever seen the Holiday Special?

Let's just agree that every Star Wars movie made between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens is crap.

I don't agree.

Anybody here ever seen the Holiday Special?

I saw it when it originally aired. I also bought 3 bootleg copies of it on VHS.

I was just on Amazon. It is impossible to get a DVD copy of any of the movies that's not over 40 bucks. What the hell?!

The trailer made me really want to watch the star wars movies again. It also made me realize that I dislike the star wars theme song. I'm just tired of it for some reason even though I haven't consumed much star wars media through the years.

Thoughts on the trailer itself: Yep, it looks like star wars to me.

I wonder how many cool points you guys are winning by being overly cynical and nitpicking about the dumbest fucking details. I bet it's a lot.

KgYXMqd.jpg

Yep, That. I'm on the left. The right is a lie though. Kids love the JarJar. Where is JarJar on the right?

It's his inner child Jar Jar wasn't around for that.