Chyron

Star Wars - May The Thread Be With You

I was okay with the trailer, but had a similar reaction to most posters here about the saber. It is very impractical. I would hope that there will be some sort of explanation in the film(arm guards or a purpose or anything really), but I don't expect anything. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, I did really enjoy the trilogy as a child though(and had to buy the whatever editions of the DVDs to get the original laserdisc transfers/ the versions I liked). I'm fairly excited to see the first new film at least.

It could be practical if that guy gets in a bladelock with someone and then switches on the mini-lightsabers to poke someone's eye out or something.

I agree. I am a little bit more hyped because it does actually look like a Star Wars movie. The teaser wasn't trying to explain anything. There wasn't this feeling of 'here is some new shit and 3/4 of the trailer will tell you why it's important'. Though, we haven't had a full trailer yet, so we'll see.

*EDIT: new page, quoting*

The trailer is....fine? Nothing in it made me excited, nothing in it was offensive.

The new lightsaber is goofy-looking. I wish they'd just

I kind of wish that, if they were going to do the whole "novelty lightsaber thing", they'd just kind of rip off Lumiya's lightwhip.

Prqqbs3.jpg?1

Or just come up with something that looks....less silly. I don't care that it's impractical, I care that it looks dumb.

The lived-in look is because there had been a galaxy-wide civil war for 20 years. The prequels didn't have the lived-in look because the time-frame they took place in was at the tail end of 5000 years of galactic peace. In comparison, the original trilogy took place in a time-frame where everyone is poor and scraping by and the only people who could afford nice things were the Empire.

Because, as we all know, class simply stops existing and everybody buys brand new models of everything every goddamn month when there's a period of peace.

Anybody here ever seen the Holiday Special?

A local theater in my city actually has a copy that they obtained from a TV station that tried to air it again, and then got a Cease and Desist from LucasFilm. It's the best-looking copy I've ever seen(it actually looks...fine on the big screen) and they've made a special cut of the special that cuts it down by a LOT and actually...makes it fully watchable.

I wonder how many cool points you guys are winning by being overly cynical and nitpicking about the dumbest fucking details. I bet it's a lot.

I guess I don't find it offensive that somebody might not be excited about something, and then have the audacity to actually share that opinion when the topic comes up.

I think the best part of the trailer for me is that first shot of John Boyega. Of all the things in the trailer, him in that stormtrooper get up, looking disoriented, poses the biggest mystery and offers the most potential for this new movie to be something more than a homage to the Original Trilogy.

I agree. I like wide shots where characters are introduced by coming into frame from the side or below. Also, in the shot of Daisy Ridley biking away, I like the glimpse at one of the practical sets they built for the film. Even though we haven't seen the bad guy's face, the cloaked look makes me think of KOTOR II. Unless that's Luke in the cloak. He does have a history with having his hands chopped off. Maybe he wants to avoid that in the future...

..and then he gets his leg chopped off.

Not a real spoiler^

I think the best part of the trailer for me is that first shot of John Boyega. Of all the things in the trailer, him in that stormtrooper get up, looking disoriented, poses the biggest mystery and offers the most potential for this new movie to be something more than a homage to the Original Trilogy.

I agree. I like wide shots where characters are introduced by coming into frame from the side or below. Also, in the shot of Daisy Ridley biking away, I like the glimpse at one of the practical sets they built for the film. Even though we haven't seen the bad guy's face, the cloaked look makes me think of KOTOR II. Unless that's Luke in the cloak. He does have a history with having his hands chopped off. Maybe he wants to avoid that in the future...

..and then he gets his leg chopped off.

Not a real spoiler^

People are saying it might be like a call back to a New Hope and that Boyega is in disguise or was undercover, but honestly I think i'd prefer for him to be an actual stormtrooper or ex trooper. It would be be a cool perspective.

We don't even have any idea what's up with the stormtroopers anyway though. They might be some kind of empire hold out still resisting, or the new republic could just be using the army that was already there.

I wonder how many cool points you guys are winning by being overly cynical and nitpicking about the dumbest fucking details. I bet it's a lot.

I wasn't overly enamoured with the trailer, but you're right.

Lucas' other movie coming out next year, Strange Magic, looks absolutely terrible.

I guess I don't find it offensive that somebody might not be excited about something, and then have the audacity to actually share that opinion when the topic comes up.

I never said it was offensive. A lot of these responses in here just reek of trying too hard to be cynical. Even if you don't like a thing, there's ways you can go about saying that without making yourself sound pretentious as hell.

If this is set 30 years after Return of the Jedi, why does almost everything remain the same?

Other than the shot of the X-wings, nothing got me that excited. Still, the only thing I really didn't like was that lightsaber.

Lucas' other movie coming out next year, Strange Magic, looks absolutely terrible.

I'd say it looks great. Can't judge the rest based on a trailer though.

I am remaining open-minded. When it comes to it, fans don't really have any idea what they truly want. Yes, many people (myself included) want something that reminds them mostly of the Original Trilogy, but what exactly does that mean? How much Expanded Universe should be included? How much reference to anything from the Prequels could be welcomed (or even tolerated) in any fashion by OT fans?

A lot of people are going to be trolling and upset no matter what the trailer looks like. So it will be difficult in the extreme to please even half the fans given the way we've been burned by the Prequels and the tremendous amount of nostalgia people have for the franchise.

If this is set 30 years after Return of the Jedi, why does almost everything remain the same?
If you look back at the Old Republic, things haven't changed much over several thousand years. The most rational explanation for this is that the galaxy hit a technological dead end, so direct progress is slow and most improvements come from variations on old, tested ideas and other innovations.
It looks the same because it is fantasy. Space fantasy, yes, but fantasy. Not science fiction.

The fantasy genre generally does not concern itself with evolutions in technological advancement. There is also usually no overt discussion about how technology works beyond the simplest explanation for things. The only mention the Original Trilogy makes in reference to technology becoming obsolete is when Luke complains that he couldn't get much money for selling his landspeeder since another (supposedly better) vehicle came out. Any explanation for why things work the way they do is introduced in the books. In effect, they inject science fiction into a fantasy world. But the movies themselves do not delve into this (beyond Episode I stupidly trying to explain that mitochondria are force sensitive).

You might as well ask why the world of Middle Earth hasn't changed technologically in the thousands of years between events which happen in The Lord of the Rings.

EDIT: In fact, that is a very good comparison. In the Original Trilogy, the Force is the Star Wars equivalent of magic. The science of how it (retconningly) actually works be damned.

@Darth Marsden

Yeah, such a parody would be great, especially when it wasn't done by intention.

Somehow sad that Lucas isn't involved, he could have pulled this off.

The lightsaber corkscrew would definitely be more effective at opening up wine bottles.

Then again, a regular old lightsaber would probably also do the job pretty good.

Couldn't tell you. I refuse to watch the Star Wars Blurays.

I only watch restorations to the original theatrical version of the OT, and (most-tolerable?) fan edits of the PT. That is to say, I am really considering going to see this on opening night if at all possible primarily because George Lucas has no involvement in it.

And you can say what you want about Abrams' Star Trek movies. I'm a huge Trek fan and I enjoyed them.

I enjoyed Roddenberry's idea of Star Trek some more but you know ... whatever you get out of it.

Entertaining? Yep

Star Trek? Not this much

Actually, I thought it addressed certain things about the Trek characters that the Prime universe never explained properly. For example, Prime-Kirk claims to have gotten "a commendation for original thinking" for cheating at the Kobayashi Maru test instead of getting into serious trouble; and if Prime-Spock has such disdain for being associated as human, why did he join the mostly-human Starfleet instead of the Vulcan Science Academy?

Plus, Trek fans complain about Voyager and Enterprise, so a straight-up addition to the prime universe wasn't what the franchise needed to get it popular among new fans again.

Basically it's an expensive good looking comical action movie with rather stupid writing, full of references but a lack of own ideas, different characters compared to TOS or The Motion Picture. Nothing really progresses in this movie, lots of explosions but no exploration/curiosity/ethics/moral decisions ... a fun ride but just not Star Trek (the way it started).

Basically it's an expensive good looking comical action movie with rather stupid writing, full of references but a lack of own ideas, different characters compared to TOS or The Motion Picture. Nothing really progresses in this movie, lots of explosions but no exploration/curiosity/ethics/moral decisions ... a fun ride but just not Star Trek (the way it started).
Technically, by that standard the last thing that was truly Trek was The Next Generation TV series.

And since TOS was a product of its era, when the civil rights movement was in full swing, nothing could ever be Trek again and still be relevant to modern day.

I agree.

How the issue compares back to Star Wars, is that people don't know what they want beyond something that reminds them of the wonderful Star Wars they grew up with. Meanwhile, it also needs to be tailored to attract people who've never seen Star Wars before. The original creator of Star Wars can't be allowed any involvement because he would only make it worse (and the original creator of Star Trek can't because he's not alive).

If fans are given /exactly/ what the OT was, they will only scream rehash the same as Trek fans who don't like Rick Berman for making Voyager and Enterprise too similar to TNG.