Chyron

Star Wars - May The Thread Be With You

I think TOS was ahead (at least it tried to be) of its time those days (SF generally was). I didn't like TNG, too artificial/formal/no fun/boring characters/... TOS was fun and at the same time also offered some depth. Of course there also exist bad episodes but the good ones really were good and the writing had substance then.

Star Trek today has nothing to offer apart from the action.

If that's what you're looking for then you can also watch other franchises like Impossible Mission, Die Hard, Star Wars, Spiderman (or any Marvel) ... it's rather exchangeable.

If you're telling me that Picard, Data and Q are boring, that Best of Both Worlds is too action-y, or that Deja Q isn't fun then there's something very, very wrong with you.

And I don't see why TNG is artificial compared to TOS when the quality of the acting and the sets in TOS leaves much to be desired. This not to mention that Uhura, Scotty and Sulu don't get very much screen time /at all/ compared to the trio of Kirk, Spock and McCoy. And Chekov doesn't even appear in the show until the second season (of three seasons) meaning Khan recognizing him in Star Trek II makes no sense.

And, speaking of Star Trek II, many people say it is the best Trek movie of all time, and it is very action-packed.

I don't see how you can say the new Trek movies don't follow the franchise when you actually like less than 79 episodes of over 700 available in the entire franchise.

The Next Generation is my favorite of the Star Trek TV shows. It's a slow burn, but it ramped up over the course of its run. Great humor, great stories, great characters.

Also, how can you dislike something that results in this:

yiRjywbypLA

@chyron8472

I think TOS was SF, maybe more made for people who also read SF whilst TNG/Voyager/... was made more for a Syfy-channel minded audience. In TOS they showed some style, tried to do their best with low budgets whilst TNG was looking bland. The characters you've named could have been interesting if they were playing their roles differently. It's like with Spock, the new Spock isn't Spock anymore, he's just an action figure of Spock, if it's needed for an action scene, he turns into action mode, calling daddy-himself-Spock from time to time, ... hey, it's just insanely stupid.

They have at least one universe to explore and instead are doing silly sitcom stuff.

As i wrote already, i'm fine with action (although i consider the first to be the best movie) as it's part of the fun but i'm not into this mindless action/acting regardless of a franchise and without any thoughts.

Why the fuck are people talking about Trek in a Star Wars thread? Take that shit to a Star Trek thread!

Due to J. J. Abrams ...

@Scarecrow

Which episodes would you recommend from TNG?

You're not talking about Abrams, you're talking about full-on Star Trek! You're shitting up the thread! Fuck off!

Dude, calm down, a) you know how talking on a forum works, b) it wasn't me who mentioned Star Trek first and c) no one prevents you from bringing some Star Wars stuff up again.

I meant screw off to all of you, not just you in particular. I'm not trying to be personal here, it's just not that hard to figure out how talking about Abrams Trek in relation to his Star Wars is different here than in-depth discussions on TNG, TOS, DS9, etc.

Oh well, I forget that the off-topic nature of the Telltale boards is what made them so much fun. I've spent most of my time lately on a forum where discussions are kept very regimentally to their own topics, so I came in here and got immediately frustrated because I wanted to read a discussion on Star Wars. Oh well. I'll fuck off then.

I wonder if that dude with the red gas sparkling like lightsaber is a bad or a good guy?! ;O)

One of the good things about the new Star Wars movie is that there most probably also will be a new review from Mr. Plinkett. I once watched one of the Star Wars movies with their audio commentary on which was a lot of fun. Dunno who once brought up Mr. Plinkett for the first time on the TTG-form, Dashing, Fawful, ...?

I think I watched it before Dashing did. It was probably me. Red Letter Media posted two reaction videos for the Star Wars trailer: A Plinkett one and a Rich Evans one. I like the Rich Evans one more. I didn't like the Plinkett one much, but I feel like they posted them as a gag toward the fans who were expecting reaction videos from everyone. The Rich Evans one is basically the reaction video you didn't want.

Now that I've taken the time to really watch this closely I've noticed some cool stuff:

star-warsnlysys.jpg

You're not talking about Abrams, you're talking about full-on Star Trek! You're shitting up the thread! Fuck off!
It was off topic, yes, but still relevant because it goes to show how much fans disagree on why they like a franchise, and how the fans only have vague impressions of why they like what they do about it.

The advantage with Star Wars though is that Abrams was a big OT nerd as a kid. So he has his own nostalgia to please, not just other people's.

How the issue compares back to Star Wars, is that people don't know what they want beyond something that reminds them of the wonderful Star Wars they grew up with.

I think this concept is pretty universal, too. It's basically the nostalgia trap. The problem with nostalgia is that there's not a lot of sense to it.

Once in a while I feel vague pangs of nostalgia about something like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, for example - and as a kid I HATED TMNT.

Nostalgia is like a type of fungus that grows on old stuff and isn't even really particularly fussy about where. So in the process of growing nostalgic about things, oftentimes we forget what we loved about them in the first place, we just remember that we loved some thing (if indeed we did) and then attribute whatever we are nostalgic about to WHY we love the thing. So people will get nostalgic about terrible control schemes in older games, or rubbish special effects in films, and then when the new thing doesn't have any of that stuff, it somehow feels 'off.'

It also creates a sort of setting up for failure situation, because if you link your love of something to your nostalgia of it, then unless the new thing is utter fan service, you won't enjoy it as much as you hope. Because it's a new thing. Nostalgia fungus won't grow on it, so people that look for it are looking in the wrong place.

Oh, we're seeing SO many silly images pop up.

856575.jpg

856795.jpg

...and this made me laugh with every skit.

qjrPTCnZwB4

Guess which made me laugh hardest.

Dunno, i think the droid is cute and well designed, nothing scary and the kids would love em. Kind of reminds me of Space: 1999.

I would buy one and maybe call him cube or dunno if the droid is a female ... maybe a nice first name.

Not to bring Star Trek back into the thread, but this is too good not to share:

j6sDzyBMVck

No, you're right. I'm being way too uptight about it. I'm just not used to this sort of discussion anymore. I should've just brought up something Star Wars instead of yelling.

So here's Stephen Colbert calling you all idiots for hating on the lightsabersword.

Something worth noting that I had on my mind for a while. The lightsaber in the teaser is a lot bigger than other lightsabers have been before. The beam on it also looks kind of unstable. It's very possible that the secondary beams are some kind of necessary vents in order to keep the saber from blowing up or something.

I'm loving all these Star Wars reveals. They're so wonderfully nerdy.

Case in point:

The-Force-Awakens.jpg

Yep, they've announced the names of the characters from the teaser trailer... in the form of old-school trading cards.

LOVE it.

So far the teasers/trailers has shown that JJ Abrahams has made several steps in the right directions with Starwars - more dirty, less CG, design seem in line with the old movies, etc. I just hope that he doesn't include overblown "boss fights" in this, like he has in some of his previous works.

Really like what I have seen so far.