Double Fine Action Forums
Chyron

Star Wars - May The Thread Be With You

I dunno, Yoda's Theme and the Force theme is pretty amazing. From what I've heard of the score from the new movie John Williams has nailed it again. I'm glad he didn't pull a Crystal Skull and change the themes slightly to sound like the music that would show up in a spoof.

I dunno, Yoda's Theme and the Force theme is pretty amazing. From what I've heard of the score from the new movie John Williams has nailed it again. I'm glad he didn't pull a Crystal Skull and change the themes slightly to sound like the music that would show up in a spoof.

I actually liked his Crystal Skull score. And regarding the Indiana Jones movies, I think Temple of Doom had one of the best scores of the series due to its minimal use of the Raiders March. It's still not above Raiders, but close. And Last Crusade had five epic pieces in there: Belly of the Steel Beast, On The Tank, The Canyon of the Crescent Moon, Scherzo For Motorcycle And Orchestra, and Escape From Venice.

As I said, I would. I read everything about the movie. From what I got, it's a passable sequel. There's good, there's bad. It makes me want to see it though.

I was pleasantly wrong about my reasoning why Luke wasn't on the poster or much of any ads... and I'll leave it at that("pleasantly" as in "not what I expected"). I checked out a Star Wars forum and nobody seemed mad about the movie, so that's got to be a huge plus.

Important question: should I wear my Doctor Who/Back to he Future crossover t-shirt or my Monkey Island t-shirt to the film, seeing as I don't have a Star Wars one. The first one has a classic science-fiction theme and the second a Lucasarts theme, so they are both decent candidates. Thank you!

I was only joking when I said that it was an "important" question, I was asking for fun rather than because I'm worried, but thanks for your opinion!

I have one with Bane and Darth Vader with guitars going "Party On Bane, Party On Darth." That's about it. No other sci-fi related t-shirts aside from one of the Blade Runner poster.

Will be going to the cinema tomorrow. Not sure what to expect (better than 123?), although I already read spoiler reviews. I hope I'll survive the experience.

I really liked the actual pod race (not the lead up to it) in The Phantom Menace.

The only things I liked in the prequels was the sequence when Obi Wan had to watch Liam Neeson get killed on the other side of the laser wall (the fighting itself was terrible), and the music from Episode 1. I can't think of a single thing that I liked from the other two movies, except maybe some of the costumes. I only noticed rehashed old musical themes in episodes 2 and 3.

So what did the prequels do right?

Well the fight against Darth Maul was cool, Count Dooku could have been interesting, and the battle between Anakin and Obi-Wan was awesome.

The music is by far the best thing about the prequels.

I'm gonna take a stand and say that the podrace was also one of the best things about TPM, and even then it was about twice as long as it needed to be. The 3-on-1 lightsaber fight was just too obviously choreographed to really engage me, especially when it was just Obi-Wan and Maul. Practically nothing else worked, and the whole film is frankly painful to watch these days.

The best thing about AotC was the Jango Fett - Obi-Wan fight. Count Dokuu was utterly wasted, as were all the CGI armies and lightsaber battles, which was ridiculously one-sided. The less said about Yoda's fight, the better.

RotS is the best of the three, but that's not saying a huge amount. The 'Opera' scene is by far the one that works best - I'd even say it's actually a genuinely good scene - and while it's not brilliant, Anakin's downfall kind-of works. Sort of. That final fight though... again, goes on way too long and loses all impact by the end. You just get bored. And Palpatine's transformation... ugh.

Yoda's iconic line “Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” is from episode 1.

And those of us that have seen the Plinkett review know that you can put anger, hate, fear, and suffering in any order and get the same effect.

And those of us that have seen the Plinkett review know that you can put anger, hate, fear, and suffering in any order and get the same effect.

Well, with Yoda you can't always be sure what order the words are supposed to be in xD

Yoda's iconic line “Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” is from episode 1.
Was it? Huh. OK, add that one line to the list of good things then.

Darth Maul didn't intimidate me at all, but he's certainly got more presence than Snoke if for no other reason than he is an actual human being and not made of polygons.

I think the Ep1 lightsaber battle was one of the best in the entire saga. Certainly better than Ep2 or Ep3's.The buzzsaw sound of Maul's dual saber was quite menacing as well. The music was also fantastic. Duel of the Fates? Yes, please. I also really liked the podrace. I didn't think it was too long at all. Just right.

Everyone's complaints about the prequels, for me are largely invalid. People complain about the same sorts of things and I'm like "Seriously, just watch The Fall of the Jedi fan edits. Anakin doesn't whine; Obi Wan doesn't bicker; Jar Jar almost never talks; Padme doesn't fight her feelings; Anakin isn't the Chosen One; Force sensitivity isn't based on mitochondria; Padme doesn't die; and neither the name 'Vader' nor the suit make an appearance."

Everyone's complaints about the prequels, for me are largely invalid. People complain about the same sorts of things and I'm like "Seriously, just watch The Fall of the Jedi fan edits. Anakin doesn't whine; Obi Wan doesn't bicker; Jar Jar almost never talks; Padme doesn't fight her feelings; Anakin isn't the Chosen One; Force sensitivity isn't based on mitochondria; Padme doesn't die; and neither the name 'Vader' nor the suit make an appearance."

I've spent an evening trying to find a fanedit of the prequels (I prefer them over the originals, but wanted to give an edit a shot). I've had poor luck finding anything anyone says is decent and is also available easily. This is the first one I've found so far so thanks :)

I like the Phantom Editor edits, though he only did the first two episodes. I think the third one is bearable enough for me to watch anyway, though. We just went through the prequels with my sister before TFA hit theatres and it was a pretty good experience. Not as much cringe-worthy content in Ep3 as the others. Though it is there, make no mistake. I don't believe in fanedits that remove all mention of things originally revealed in the original trilogy (though, it's a neat exercise). The prequels are meant to be watched after. That's why they're called prequels. I don't care about the episode naming convention. It's misleading, but there was really no other way to have approached it.