Double Fine Action Forums
Chyron

Star Wars - May The Thread Be With You

I think you're stretching with some of that stuff, but I take your point about how we see Luke's cave vision from a third-person perspective rather than the first-person of Rey's (and how we don't see Luke's vision of Leia and Han in trouble) - I think visions can be done well in movies but I can see how one might argue that it's not a very OT thing to do.

Um, no Disney is not abandoning the prequels. But whether you count them or not, it was STILL Anakin's saber before it was Luke's and the Force has always been strong in their family. You don't need the prequels for that. I also dislike the midichlorien explanation, I don't think you need that to explain something being "charged" with the Force. Like we said, the cave was strong with the dark side. It doesn't matyer to me if the cave was living or dead. I am a-ok with that lightsaber vision. It was the coolest moment in the movie for me. And I strongly disliked the prequels.

You can't always stay within the realm of all that happened in the OT. The prequels have scared anybody away who may have once thought it was ok. Just because we got one bad set of movies doesn't mean everything from here on out has to be stuck in the realm of what the OT did, awesome as it was. We don't want a carbon copy either.

I think you're stretching with some of that stuff, but I take your point about how we see Luke's cave vision from a third-person perspective rather than the first-person of Rey's (and how we don't see Luke's vision of Leia and Han in trouble) - I think visions can be done well in movies but I can see how one might argue that it's not a very OT thing to do.

Yes, I guess I am. I guess Star Wars have a special place in my heart, and especially The Empire Strikes back.

We don't want a carbon copy either.

No, I certainly don't want that. That was a weakness of The Force Awakens. But changing the principles between movies that are directly related is not a good idea in my book. (Yes, I understand that not everybody agrees with me that there is a change in the religious aspects of The Force.)

Um, no Disney is not abandoning the prequels.

Well, I haven't seen them announce any movies set in the prequel universe, but they have a lot of sequels and spin-offs to the original movies in the pipeline.

The two animated TV series serve as interequel and sequel to the prequels, as well as prequels to the OT. Speaking of which, y'all seen THOSE panels of issue 6 of the new Darth Vader comic? Cool, huh?

Popular channel Cinema Sins did one of their "Everything Wrong With" videos about "The Force Awakens". I actually agree with a lot of the nitpicks, and I'm very pleased with the moments he singled out as a reason to remove sins from the count.

. I miss his videos being much shorter back when he started, since I think the videos would benefit from cutting out the weaker/uninteresting sins, but there were a couple of crackers in this one for sure.

There's also quite a few things I would counter. For example, on Leia and Han naming his son Ben despite not having a relationship with him: "Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope." I reckon Leia DID have a relationship with Ben Kenobi, but I guess it's an off-screen one (I don't know if The Clone Wars addressed that). Also, Jeremy way overestimated John Boyega's age, Han explained how he was able to track down the Millenium Falcon, and the workings of the map are pretty obvious: smaller piece indicates which planet amongst an area of space with lots of unidentified stars, larger piece shows where it is in relation to a well-mapped area of space with identified stars. Neither piece would be much help on its own.

No, I certainly don't want that. That was a weakness of The Force Awakens. But changing the principles between movies that are directly related is not a good idea in my book. (Yes, I understand that not everybody agrees with me that there is a change in the religious aspects of The Force.)

I don't think they were principles. In fact, I don't think the OT really illuminated on much of what the Force really means. There was a lot explained, especially in ESB, but even more left to the imagination. I think much of this was assumed by many on the finer details of the Force. Obviously you assumed things differently than I did, but there's been no official word on how the principles of the Force supposed to be explained.

Well, I haven't seen them announce any movies set in the prequel universe, but they have a lot of sequels and spin-offs to the original movies in the pipeline.

I think, under the circumstances, it's obvious why Disney is sort of ignoring or avoiding the prequels. The majority didn't like them. They're returning focus to the OT because that's what everyone wanted. Just because they're not doing anything with the prequels doesn't mean they've removed it from canon. Absolutely not.

I want this.

star-wars-lightsaber-umbrella-darth-vader-red-456215.1.jpg

I want this so bad.

...oh, and this looks interesting.

FiMF7WPeqgs

Harrison Ford still sounds bored though :(

The lightup lightsaber umbrellas are definitely cool.

The Lego game additions are cool. I think this is the first time they've expanded a Lego-based movie/tv adaption with the original voice cast. I believe Star Wars was the first of these Lego series games, right? Seems fitting it continues to break new ground. Disney is certainly marketing the BANTHA FODDER out of this franchise and not wasting any part.

Well howdy doody, I just realized that Steam updated their entries for X-Wing and Tie Fighter yesterday to include the sorely missing CD-ROM Collector's editions! Right on, Disney!

They also made a handful of Win10 updates for other Star Wars games like Rebellion and Galactic Battlegrounds.

I bought the Saber Bundle when it first came out on GOG.com, but skipped the Blaster bundle because the discount wasn't as much. Now that it's back, I'm reconsidering picking it up.

Is the pack (Star Wars Rebel Assault 1+2, Galactic Battlegrounds Saga, X-Wing Special Edition, Tie Fighter Special Edition, X-Wing Vs. Tie Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, Rogue Squadron 3D, and Star Wars Rebeelion) worth the $30 asking price?

It's worth it for all three versions each of X-Wing and Tie Fighter alone. Rogue Squadron and Galactic Battlegrounds are classics as well. Didn't play the others much, but I've always heard good things about them. I already have them all already on Steam or I'd jump on it myself.

Boba Fett was supposed to be the main villain of ep 6. I knew that awesome guy was destined for better things.

I read about that too. I would have almost certainly preferred the gritter and darker version of Return of the Jedi that Gary Kurtz alluded to, with its bitter sweet ending. I'm definitely in the same camp as Kurtz and Harrison Ford; I feel that Han Solo should have died in Return of the Jedi. As it stands, his character is next to useless and a shadow of his former rogue-like self, in the final version.

Always been intrigued about a dark ROTJ, but I still like what we got. Some great moments. It's still my favourite SW movie. TFA really made up for the lack of Han Solo in ROTJ.

Always been intrigued about a dark ROTJ, but I still like what we got. Some great moments.

Oh, indeed. Whilst I do think that objectively, The Empire Strikes Back is the best Star Wars movie (it's certainly the most consistent in terms of quality and it's easily the best directed of the original trilogy); subjectively speaking, Return of the Jedi is my favourite Star Wars film. Yes, it sags in the middle and the ewoks really are rubbish but by goodness, the Jabba's palace sequence and the Emperor/Luke/Vader showdown finale are absolutely brilliant.

Ok....I just want to check to make sure that everyone here who is a Star Wars fan has seen and followed the Clone Wars animated series, right? Ok? Great. Because if you haven't you really really really really really really really really really really really really really need to stop hating Star Wars and get on that. Like Nao. Please, if you have not seen it and are judging it before experiencing it like I once did, you will find yourself very very dead very wrong. And I'm not talking about the slightly average feature film that came before the show. Watch the show. I mean, watch the movie first or you won't get where half the characters come from and the first season or two is a little slow, but it becomes so much better by leaps and bounds with each season...just...please watch it. If you are a fan of Batman: TAS's style of storytelling and propensity for mature and sometimes dark themes, you will enjoy it.

Yeah, it's moreso a case for the first two seasons. But honestly it never bothered me. I suppose that first season or two might be more interesting to watch through in the right order, but it's not like it ruins anything if you don't.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Clone Wars animated show. I'm still not too keen on checking it out though because...

A/ I'm not a big enough Star Wars fan to be arsed sitting down and consuming hours upon hours of a spin-off show and...

B/ I'd previously heard nothing but praise for the animated show Rebels and so I watched the first few episodes and was nonplussed to say the least. I mean, it's well written and looks nice enough but it's most definitely a show aimed at kids. I'm a 33 year old man for flipper's sake. I'm already wasting my life in the most pitiful of ways; I really can't be doing with wasting it even further by watching material fit for CBeebies.

Still, The Clone Wars probably is excellent. However, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Likewise, you can lead a cantankerous, stubborn old mule to paradise but you sure as heck won't get it to enjoy itself.

I don't mind the Ewoks at all.

I wouldn't mind an ewok either... roasted, with a sprinkle of paprika.

Nom Nom Nom

o7llbq.jpg

"Oh no! Some monster has killed, barbecued and seasoned my dear, sweet, delicious Yub Nub!"

Lego Star Wars: TFA looks more and more interesting every time I see it.

Here's an example of the Blaster Battle (re: Lego does Gears of War) and the Space Sections.

TT94-BeGWxA

Didn't mind the Ewoks myself. It seems to me if you can get past the Ewoks, the perceived quality level of ROTJ goes up quite a bit. Not all the way. There's still Boba Fett and Han Solo, but still. A lot of people just HATE ROTJ. I think it's quite a bit more entertaining than ANH, honestly.

LEGO TFA is look quite nice. I can't afford it right now and I'm only just finishing up and starting LEGO SW Complete Saga and Clone Wars respectively yet so there's not point in my being all grabby about it anyway. I'll wait until all the DLC is done and it gets a nice GOTY edition which will then go on sale and I'll snag sometime in the next two years (when Episode VIII comes out and LEGO VIII will have already been released).

So, Alden Ehrenreich has been announced as playing the young Han Solo in that spin-off movie. Hmm... I'm not sure about this bit of casting news. Part of the problem is that he's only a few years younger than Harrison in the original Star Wars. People don't physically change appearance so drastically in the span of a few years. Makes it all the more harder to envision him as the same person that we saw in episodes IV-VII.

149axwn.jpg

However, looking at his head there; should there be any call for such a thing in Hollywood; I think that he'd make for a most convincing potato.

I don't necessarily think that Disney should give him the SACK though and I really don't mean to be ROOT. After all, beauty is in the EYE of the beholder and such things are only SKIN deep.