Double Fine Action Forums
Chyron

Star Wars - May The Thread Be With You

I don't mind the Ewoks at all.

I wouldn't mind an ewok either... roasted, with a sprinkle of paprika.

Nom Nom Nom

o7llbq.jpg

"Oh no! Some monster has killed, barbecued and seasoned my dear, sweet, delicious Yub Nub!"

...Their delicious freedom?

Hey, we live in an absurd world where people, albeit mainly celebrities, give their children names such as "Apple", "Moon" and "Summer". It may also interest you to know that Ving Rhames named his son "Freedom".

Do you really find it so incredulous that the same could happen in a galaxy far, far away (located in a corner of the universe that's governed by magic, wizards and hookah smoking slugs), on a planet inhabited by living teddy bears, no less?

Since Boba Fett was supposed to be the last villain annnd the Sarlack pit halts your aging so you suffer 1000 years....Maybe he is Snoke and will finally be a main villain!....Ok that's just me hoping.

I wouldn't mind if they brought back Darth Maul along with Boba Fett. Technically both are still alive in canon.

Since Boba Fett was supposed to be the last villain annnd the Sarlack pit halts your aging so you suffer 1000 years...

Wait, what?! Is that true?

That line that C-3PO says in Return of the Jedi, about the sarlacc slowly digesting its victims over a 1000 years, has always bothered me. I always figured that you'd die of thirst after three days and then the creature would merely digest your corpse for 1000 years. Not so bad, in the grand scheme of things.

I love the idea that the sarlacc actually somehow prolongs its victims lives exceptionally. That's akin to something out of Harlan Ellison's I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. How gloriously grisly!

Wookiepedia say's that's pretty much what happens.

Legend canon article.

"After being swallowed by the tongue, the victim made its way into the sarlacc's stomach to be digested, purportedly being kept alive and slowly digested for a millennium. A strong network of vessels inside the stomach punctured the victim's skin and muscles and then embedded itself into victims before injecting neurotoxins into them, preventing the victims from escaping and ensuring that they remained immersed in the acidic fluids in the stomach, and attached to the walls of the stomach.

The vessels also provided victims with nutrients to keep them alive while they were digested in agony"

and on the Disney canon article.

"Victims of the sarlacc would be injected with immobilizing neurotoxins that caused constant pain, and, while still conscious, would be digested for millennia."

Hey, we live in an absurd world where people, albeit mainly celebrities, give their children names such as "Apple", "Moon" and "Summer". It may also interest you to know that Ving Rhames named his son "Freedom".

Do you really find it so incredulous that the same could happen in a galaxy far, far away (located in a corner of the universe that's governed by magic, wizards and hookah smoking slugs), on a planet inhabited by living teddy bears, no less?

I mean, I guess, but that Ewok's name is Nanta.

I mean, I guess, but that Ewok's name is Nanta.

I was just cracking wise, you know? I hadn't realised that I was expected to stay true to the source material whilst doing so :P

Besides, the rule of comedy, when structuring a sentence, is to go for the funnier sounding word and "Yub Nub" is objectively and infinitely funnier sounding than "Nanta". Also, there's the small matter of me not giving two figs, nor a parsnip about staying faithful to the expanded universe of Star Wars (I'm rather similar to Disney, in that respect).

Meesa name Jar Jar Binks, meesa you humble servant

Go suck a womp rat, Jar Jar. Nobody likes you.

Oops, you probably didn't understand that, Mr. Binks. Allow me to translate to your infantile baby-talk language...

Gosa sucka Womp ratta, dick heada. Wesa no likings yousa.

...bloody floppy eared pillock!

Meesa name Jar Jar Binks, meesa you humble servant

Go suck a womp rat, Jar Jar. Nobody likes you.

Oops, you probably didn't understand that, Mr. Binks. Allow me to translate to your infantile baby-talk language...

Gosa sucka Womp ratta, dick heada. Wesa no likings yousa.

...bloody floppy eared pillock!

How wude!

How wude!

*grumble*

Bloomin' Gungans. Coming into OUR Country and taking OUR jobs! Get back on the boat to Naboo... or whatever filth ridden swamp it is that you crawled in from!

sIzivCJ9pzU

How wude!

*grumble*

Bloomin' Gungans. Coming into OUR Country and taking OUR jobs! Get back on the boat to Naboo... or whatever filth ridden swamp it is that you crawled in from!

sIzivCJ9pzU

Yousa in deeeep dudu.

Disney has ordered reshoots of Rogue One, saying it feels too much like a war movie and not enough like a Star Wars movie

I was a bit sad about this, but we know nothing about it. I'll wait to pass judgment until I see it. I was kind of looking forward to the "Saving Private Ryan" vibe. I just hope that the director doesn't do a half-baked job because his vision was put to an end.

I'm a little put off by Gareth Edwards being the director because I hated his Godzilla remake (the marketing flat out lied to me).

I wonder whether this is an attempt to make fans glad rather than worried that they are doing reshoots and in fact the film just needed them for the same general reasons of pacing, logic etc a lot of films have re-shoots. Two reasons it feels off to me are that a) this is one of their spin-off movies, not a numbered episode, so I would expect them to want a bit of tonal diversity and b) Star Wars has always had ties to war movies, from the placeholder WWII dogfight footage for New Hope's rough cuts to the big battle sequence in Episode 2 that had clone troopers loading huge guns like torpedoes in a sub.

I wonder whether this is an attempt to make fans glad rather than worried that they are doing reshoots and in fact the film just needed them for the same general reasons of pacing, logic etc a lot of films have re-shoots. Two reasons it feels off to me are that a) this is one of their spin-off movies, not a numbered episode, so I would expect them to want a bit of tonal diversity and b) Star Wars has always had ties to war movies, from the placeholder WWII dogfight footage for New Hope's rough cuts to the big battle sequence in Episode 2 that had clone troopers loading huge guns like torpedoes in a sub.

This is the same company that makes the Disney Marvel films though, which seem to all strive for the same tone. A couple of them are even more jokey than the others, but they're all pretty much cut from the same mould.

I dunno, Thor went for Shakespearean, Cap 2 went for 70s spy thriller, AntMan went for heist movie,and they all got critical appreciation for that. I'm sure Disney noticed...

I dunno, Thor went for Shakespearean, Cap 2 went for 70s spy thriller, AntMan went for heist movie,and they all got critical appreciation for that. I'm sure Disney noticed...

Not different tones, just different plots. It's like how Doctor Who could change vastly in setting and plot every episode but still keep the same tone, but they usually try to have some episodes every season with starkly different tones. Not really the case with the Marvel films. Same palette and editing, same proportions and types of humour, character drama and fight scenes. If Thor had been all that Shakespearean indeed that would have marked it out as tonally different, but instead the majority of it was based around the familiar cute stuff on Earth with Jane and her family. I suppose Cap 2 can lay claim to being a bit more thriller-ish and mature, but it's not THAT much of a deviation. And, exactly, Disney has noticed that the approach works for them, which is why I wouldn't be surprised that the re-shoots of Rogue One really are about keeping it more in line with the house brand that works for Star Wars.

I agree, and I wouldn't be surprised either (especially as Edwards enjoyed making different takes on monster movies and so I wouldn't put it past him to subvert the Star Wars feel), but it also feels like a strange statement to make - "our film was too creative so we're homogenising it!" - which makes me wonder if it's really true.

I also agree that re-shoots are nothing to worry about, but there are plenty of idiots/journos out there eager to see them as sign of a disaster so I wouldn't blame Disney for trying to put some kind of spin on them. The first search result I got for the reshoots was an io9 post talking about the "alarming" rumours which a later statement made sound much less "worrying" - it's just the usual hype-mill of journos drumming up panic even though they know better, and idiot fans getting far too invested in having an opinion on a film that hasn't even come out yet.