Double Fine Action Forums
Chyron

Star Wars - May The Thread Be With You

OH.

MY.

GOD.

(New SW spoilers. Don't click if you haven't seen, but if you have seen lolololol)

New details about the reshoots from Entertainment Weekly, if anyone's interested:

Rogue One will undergo "four to five weeks of reshoots, beginning this month and ending just days before the Star Wars Celebration fan event in London on July 15." The reshoots were supposed to have taken place in the spring, but got pushed back to mid-summer because [director Gareth] Edwards needed more time to figure out what needed to be adjusted.

Another issue, is that the large cast had planned on spring reshoots, not mid-summer, so "it is a complicated schedule trying to pull people in around other things they’re doing. [...] The changes have everything to do with clarity and character development and all take place [as inserts] within scenes we’ve already shot,” said EW's source. "It’s a lot of talking in cockpits."

I was waiting for this to happen. Sad. :( Galaxy In Turmoil, a fan made game inspired by the classic Star Wars Battlefront games with intent of providing the REAL Battlefront 3 fans have been looking forward to. They set up (and still have) a distribution deal with Valve to put it on Steam as a completely free title.

http://frontwirestudios.com/the-future-of-galaxy-in-turmoil/

LucasFilm informed me that although they would of been open to the idea of negotiating a license for Frontwire to work on the Star Wars IP, that they are not able to due to their contract with Electronic Arts (EA). I was told that Lucasfilm had already spoken with EA about Galaxy in Turmoil and that EA expressed no desire in letting our project continue. Their main concern was due to the possibility of Galaxy in Turmoil taking away attention from their Battlefront franchise.

Knew it. They knew it was what the fans actually wanted and what they weren't providing.

It's cool to see it's still going to go ahead, though. Just not as a Star Wars game. Now we'll see whether people prefer the atmosphere of Star Wars to the gameplay of classic Battlefront.

Edited by MusicallyInspired

How you gonna replace Peter Cushing? I'm fine if he doesn't show. There was nothing canon to indicate he was in charge of the project anyway, was there? He just commanded it when it was done.

The Empire Strikes Back is on TV right now, and I think I from time to time forget what an excellent movie this. So many memorable moments, perfectly paced, and while it might be a result of the time, it does feel like a movie that knows when "enough is enough" in terms of special effects, camera work and sillyness. 

CGI will always be questionable. It never will not be. In this case, I wasn't prepared for it, but when it happened I didn't think it would work very well. To my surprise, it did not bother me or hinder my enjoyment of the movie. I was too freaked out and excited about the implications. I'm sure some people will throw a fit, though.

I felt pretty underwhelmed by some of it, but there were definitely great parts to it like Donnie Yen and James Earl Jones. However, I hated how throughout the movie they kept using a redone version of the Star Wars theme rather than just use the actual Star Wars theme. The action was pretty damn good, REALLY good, but I also thought Djinn was a like a piece of wood. Had no interest in the main characters outside of Donnie Yen. Overall, I say 7/10.

You know what, I have a problem. A problem with the idea of doing standalone Star Wars films. I'm not really against them but I feel like it takes away the event feel of the Episodes. Like in a way it cheapens the franchise. This isn't me dissing Rogue One really, but a part of me feels like... oh Hell I don't know what I'm getting at anymore.

I've heard this argument before. The Cinnemassacre guys said the same thing that it was taking away from the "event" of Star Wars. Personally, I don't care. I mean, it was fun when the next big Star Wars thing was coming out, but I'm honestly happier we have more Star Wars at a time. Some of you sound like when I'm defending dead ends and difficult puzzles in old school adventure games! lol To me that was a detriment (having one big event of Star Wars at a time, not dead ends and hard puzzles).

Hey I love those difficult puzzles. Without them there'd be no challenge, and I'm looking at YOU Telltale!

22 minutes ago, MusicallyInspired said:

There are so few of us left.

If there's no real challenge to be presented then what's the point?

I did like how they sorta brought back Peter Cushing and how the film led directly into A New Hope.

4 minutes ago, MusicallyInspired said:

That was all kind of implied in the whole concept...

Yeah but I didn't think it was gonna lead DIRECTLY into it, as in the actual opening.

5 hours ago, MusicallyInspired said:

The film makers said months ago that it literally ends 15 minutes before ANH begins. That wasn't new information.

Edit: Temper, temper.

Edited by Noname215

Having seen Rogue One, I'm on board with the anthologies if it means they can make riskier movies like this. Honestly, after watching this, I feel like if the other prequels had gone this route and treated no character as sacred, they would have turned out a lot better.

Also, Donnie Yen and Alan Tudyk forever.

Donnie Yen was the main reason I saw the movie. I love martial arts films and Ip Man is one of my favorites.

Donnie Yen as a force sensitive guy looked more impressive than all the lightsaber twirling and mad hops the Jedi did in all the other prequels combined.

Edited by Alcoremortis