Jump to content
Double Fine Action Forums
Chyron

Star Wars - May The Thread Be With You

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Alcoremortis said:

Donnie Yen as a force sensitive guy looked more impressive than all the lightsaber twirling and mad hops the Jedi did in all the other prequels combined.

Well for one thing Donnie actually knows how to fight.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/17/2016 at 2:49 AM, Noname215 said:

You know what, I have a problem. A problem with the idea of doing standalone Star Wars films. I'm not really against them but I feel like it takes away the event feel of the Episodes. Like in a way it cheapens the franchise. This isn't me dissing Rogue One really, but a part of me feels like... oh Hell I don't know what I'm getting at anymore.

Noname, the Prequels cheapened the franchise and they are straight up brainchildren of Lucas himself. The only reason Rogue One does not feel like an "event" is because Disney didn't spend as much money marketing it as one might expect for a Star Wars film.

Personally, I think using Episode numbers at all to begin with was a mistake. It limited the number of Skywalker-centric prequel movies. Sure, having MORE prequels wouldn't have made George Lucas a better director or storyteller, but he might have gotten away with wasting the whole of The Phantom Menace on a story having nothing to do with Anakin if the title "Episode I" hadn't forced him to tell Anakin's entire rise and fall in just two films.

Rogue One is the second film in what appears to be the rebirth of Star Wars as a legit action-fantasy franchise, and no longer simply the butt of George Lucas' horrible joke. The official releases of the prequels are mocked and derided, and the official releases of the originals have been altered and ruined (especially Return of the Jedi).**

The feeling of an "event" all comes down to marketing, not the film itself. It has nothing to do with whether the film has an episode number or not. And to say that it cheapens the franchise is to suggest that Lucas himself hadn't been doing that.

 

** I stress "official" releases because, as is probably commonly known around here, I watch the "Star Wars Despecialized (Original) Trilogy" and the the "Fall of the Jedi (Prequel) Trilogy" instead, and find those to be very good indeed.

 

Edited by chyron8472

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, MusicallyInspired said:

I agree, but the prequels aren't supposed to just be the story of Anakin's fall. It's also about how the Sith took over, which TPM was crucial for.

It was not. The whole of TPM's plot was summed up in side-comments by the characters in the next two films. Padme mentions having known Anakin since he was a kid, and later that Palpatine is one of her oldest advisors. It is possible, and even suggested by some, to watch the numbered films without watching Episode I, in the order of 4, 5, 2, 3, 6 (machete order) and not miss anything.

But again, they could have fleshed out the Sith's rise to power more if there weren't Episode numbers. For example, who was Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas, as mentioned in Attack of the Clones, and what was his reason for ordering the creation of a clone army?  Obi-Wan never finds out who was behind all of that and he can't because there isn't enough time to tell that story. There was a lot going on behind the scenes that Palpatine had set up, but much of it goes unexplained to us and uninvestigated by the Jedi. The Phantom Menace doesn't do anything to add to any of that. All it does is take two hours to explain the backstory of a sympathy vote for Palpatine to become chancellor, and that backstory is very very inconsequential.

Edited by chyron8472

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chyron8472 said:

It was not. The whole of TPM's plot was summed up in side-comments by the characters in the next two films. Padme mentions having known Anakin since he was a kid, and later that Palpatine is one of her oldest advisors. It is possible, and even suggested by some, to watch the numbered films without watching Episode I, in the order of 4, 5, 2, 3, 6 (machete order) and not miss anything.

But again, they could have fleshed out the Sith's rise to power more if there weren't Episode numbers. For example, who was Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas, as mentioned in Attack of the Clones, and what was his reason for ordering the creation of a clone army?  Obi-Wan never finds out who was behind all of that and he can't because there isn't enough time to tell that story. There was a lot going on behind the scenes that Palpatine had set up, but much of it goes unexplained to us and uninvestigated by the Jedi. The Phantom Menace doesn't do anything to add to any of that. All it does is take two hours to explain the backstory of a sympathy vote for Palpatine to become chancellor, and that backstory is very very inconsequential.

Yeah, it really seemed like Lucas rebooted a lot of his ideas and almost started over with AOTC. I can't stand that film. I enjoyed TPM (it has the best duel of all the films and I liked the pod racing bit) and the last half of ROTS for the brutality and drama (duels sucked, though), but I can find nothing redeemable about AOTC. It felt so rushed and ...bleh. I enjoyed seeing Palpatine in every film, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Attack of the Clones is good for the love story IF you find an edit that cuts out all of Anakin's whining and Obi-Wan's bickering. (*cue joke about the movie being 3 minutes long*). But seriously, I like the prequels now so long as I watch L8wrtr, Q2, or Hal9000's edits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the weird droid factory bit from Attack of the Clones because it's just so ridiculous, it's hilarious. And the beginning of the arena fight was kinda neat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the whole city block could hear and feel my eyes roll through that entire sequence.

"It's a nightmare!!!"

Uggghh..

Edited by MusicallyInspired

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anakin gets his hand stapled to the ground and then somehow bends his body in a rubberman way to use a chopping machine to... I have no idea. 

I'm sure there's a better way to transport molten steel than giant buckets on a conveyer belt. Also, these aliens obviously don't have any OSHA guidelines because they'd be breaking every single one with that factory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First Harrison Ford was in a plane crash, now Carrie Fisher has a heart attack. God bless 'em, this really really sucks.

Edit: Some guy wrote this in a tweet and I like it:

Mark Hamill survived a car crash which should've killed him and Harrison Ford a plane crash What I'm saying, universe, is: it's her turn

Edited by Noname215

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, epic said:

Now what will they do for Episodes 8 and 9 without Fisher? 

She filmed all her 8 scenes don't know what there going to do about 9 depends on how her roll in 8 plays out i guess on hwo they can tastefully write her out. .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bookdust said:

Well she had finished filming on VIII. I doubt IX is that far into the drafting process.

What I want to know is what we do without her in the world.

Fret not. We still have Harrison Ford.

@Coolsome

For all you know, she might die in Episode 8. 

Edited by Noname215

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bookdust said:

giphy.gif

 

Yh that was going to be my reaction(well probably not that gif but a wtf gif.) .

 

On the off chance they did that (I seriously doubt it) they would cut it out. It would be in awful taste to keep it in no mater what the story is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, epic said:

Now what will they do for Episodes 8 and 9 without Fisher? 

Well, she didn't really have an important part in VII. She was there to put emotional context to the bad guy's character, and she did. They could probably get away without mentioning her again. Or just computer animate her, like they did this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Incredibly sad. :"(

 

1 hour ago, ⛸Coolsome on Ice⛸ said:

On the off chance they did that (I seriously doubt it) they would cut it out. It would be in awful taste to keep it in no mater what the story is.

It would be awful taste to kill her off in the story? Why? They do that all the time. That's like the people who wanted Peter Jackson to change the title from "The Two Towers" to something else because 9/11 happened. Don't be ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt even if she does die in the film that it would be as brutal as Han Solo.

So out come all the statements. Ford, Lucas, Hamill, Williams, Reynolds, Mayhew, Abrams, Johnson, the whole lot. My God we don't know how good we have it till it's gone.

Edited by Noname215

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, MusicallyInspired said:

Incredibly sad. :"(

 

It would be awful taste to kill her off in the story? Why? They do that all the time. That's like the people who wanted Peter Jackson to change the title from "The Two Towers" to something else because 9/11 happened. Don't be ridiculous.

I agree. Why would it be bad taste to let the character die because the actor died? It's very sad that Fisher died, but why should that influence what kind of story arc her last character in a movie has? 

It's the natural thing to do, considering that there will probably be 25 new Star Wars movies now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wherever she ended up in the afterlife she's probably going "Ah shut the %#$@&! up, stop gushing over me."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...