Double Fine Action Forums
Chyron

Star Wars - May The Thread Be With You

And now Carrie will be joined by her mother, Debbie Reynolds in a better place.

1 hour ago, Noname215 said:

The pain of losing her daughter must have been too much on her, God bless her.

It wasn't suicide, it was a stroke.

7 minutes ago, epic said:

It wasn't suicide, it was a stroke.

I know. I was talking about dying of a broken heart.

29 minutes ago, Bookdust said:

I might have to make a point to see Singing in the Rain this weekend.

Skip it and go straight to The Unsinkable Molly Brown.

I wasn't saying anything about which movie is better. I said Unsinkable Molly Brown because unlike Singing In The Rain, Reynolds is front and center in Molly Brown. It actually has a better performance pulled out of her than in Singing in the Rain, where she's a socialite but underneath all of it is a swearing hootin' hollerin' backwoods tomboy. It's her best role by far.

And this isn't at all a criticism of Singing In The Rain, because that is an indesputable American movie classic. But the movie is mainly about Gene Kelly. If you want to get straight to Reynolds, then... well you see where I'm going with this.

2 hours ago, Bookdust said:

I might have to make a point to see Singing in the Rain this weekend.

It's one of my favourites. This situation is just very sad.

I don't have a lot to say about it but I really liked Rogue One.

Does anyone have any fan edits of VII that they recommend? I'm not really looking for anything with major reshaping of the plot, just something that takes out some of the worst, pointless, dialogue.

I really enjoyed Rogue One, and I like Nostalgia Critic, but I'm not interested in listing to him mock it or complain about how obvious he might think the CGI is.

I do agree with him about the character of Jin and the scene with Darth Vader around the end.

Which kinda reminds me: didn't he say a while back he wouldn't review movies currently in theaters?

Whoa a 23 minute review? Wasn't the run time like under 2 hours? Well I guess it's more of an editorial than a review.

Also I didn't realize that either of those two were cgi to be honest.

Edited by Brütal Ke$ha

1 hour ago, Noname215 said:

didn't he say a while back he wouldn't review movies currently in theaters?

Must be for the Youtube monies from views since it's on peoples' minds.

I've only seen it once so far, and I plan on seeing it again (and again); so before I do, I don't really care to hear him crap on it. I did watch the beginning and the end of that video, but when he says "what if Star Wars becomes just okay?" from too many side stories and "we have the Originals...ish", I wanted to both send him a copy of the Despecialized Edition Trilogy and beat him about the head and shoulders for suggesting the franchise didn't already have buckets of content.

I can't even watch Cinemassacre reviews anymore, let alone NC. They just come off so jaded or "pompously down to earth" if that makes sense. Especially TGWTG's Sibling Rivalry videos. I can't stand listening to those brothers talk in their normal selves. Their characters are more entertaining, but less so now than years ago when I first discovered them. I find myself disagreeing with them more and more. The only YouTube reviewer I watch anymore is AngryJoe. Just to see him rage at what he hates and occasionally hear his thoughts on what he liked or thought could be improved. Even if I disagree with him I can still stomach him.

Edited by MusicallyInspired

I like hbomberguy's reviews, though his show isn't really a "review show", just a show that occasionally does reviews. His Killing Joke (the animated version) review was fantastic. He tends to pick up on really interesting details and does a lot of research before doing a video, so even if I disagree with him, it's still neat to see his opinions on things. 

I used to like Half in the Bag a lot, but recently their reviews have just gotten so cynical I don't watch if I even slightly enjoyed a movie because they'll just nitpick it to death without adding any value.

19 hours ago, Bookdust said:

Okay so I totally lied, I actually enjoy a lot of film/video game reviewers, MovieBob is another one. But yes, hbomberguy's... Anything that hbomberguy puts on his channel is golden, like his hair.

I know how you feel about Half in the Bag though, I had someone recommend them to me, and because I liked the Mr Plinkett reviews of the prequels I figured I might enjoy them, no, you're right it's just cynical teardown without any real added value. Even CinemaSins (not a review show but bear with me) manages to find humor and be constructive/self-examining in the way they tear a movie apart.

Yeah, Half in the Bag is kinda hit and miss. I haven't really watched any of their recent stuff because it seems like they're just going after popular things for hits... but occasionally they come out with a gem, like this segment from their Prometheus review. Not really any genuine commentary on the film, but still funny.

So... I think they could have done a bit better with the title. 

That's about it. I still have complete trust in Johnson.

Edited by Noname215

Just because it was used before? For a completely unrelated and non-canon story? If it was on purpose I'd consider it an homage more than anything. I don't see it as uninspired or unoriginal.

Edited by MusicallyInspired

10 minutes ago, MusicallyInspired said:

Yeah...should have just been called The Crystal Skull.

But that doesn't sound that great either. Indy IV never had a decent title, and these are all the ones that were considered and the one that was used:

Indiana Jones and the Attack of the Flying Saucers

Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men from Mars

Indiana Jones and the City of the Gods

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Edited by Noname215