Double Fine Action Forums
Chyron

Star Wars - May The Thread Be With You

Star Wars has the benefit of having a ginormous fanbase as well. Harmy's Despecialized Editions fulfill every need.

Edited by MusicallyInspired

14 hours ago, Noname215 said:

Getting your hands on that is harder than trying to get a DVD of the theatrical cut of A New Hope (luckily, I have the original trilogy on VHS before the edits were made).

9 hours ago, MusicallyInspired said:

Star Wars has the benefit of having a ginormous fanbase as well. Harmy's Despecialized Editions fulfill every need.

Yes. I feel like I've mentioned the Star Wars Despecialized Editions a lot, such that anyone who has had any Star Wars-related conversation of any kind with me has heard me mention them at least once.

http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Star-Wars-Despecialized-Editions-Custom-Bluray-Set/id/49995

And at this point I kind of feel like--if someone says the original Original Trilogy is "hard to find and thank God for their copies on VHS"--as a fan, it makes me bummed and slightly irritated that they like it enough to complain about George but still aren't interested enough to bother downloading PT fan edits and OT restorations. (It's true the fan edit community tries to keep projects fairly hush-hush, but they really aren't hard to find if one bothers to look for them.)

I mean, sure, it's all well and good to be annoyed about Star Wars being ruined if there was nothing you could do about it, but there is. And if I mention Star Wars Despecialized in real life, people's reactions are almost always like "that's cool. :\" and become quickly disinterested in discussing it further. Like, they seem to be a fan, and that makes me excited to talk about it, but they really just wanted to vent a bit and move on. I have yet to have someone say "Hey, where can I find that? Can you burn me a copy?"

Well... except Sam Healey of the Dice Tower (board game reviewers), whom I emailed to directly ask if he wanted a copy.

Edited by Chyron

33 minutes ago, Chyron said:

Yes. I feel like I've mentioned the Star Wars Despecialized Editions a lot, such that anyone who has had any Star Wars-related conversation of any kind with me has heard me mention them at least once.

http://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Star-Wars-Despecialized-Editions-Custom-Bluray-Set/id/49995

And at this point I kind of feel like--if someone says the original Original Trilogy is "hard to find and thank God for their copies on VHS"--as a fan, it makes me bummed and slightly irritated that they like it enough to complain about George but still aren't interested enough to bother downloading PT fan edits and OT restorations. It's true the fan edit community tries to keep projects fairly hush-hush, but they really aren't hard to find if one bothers to look for them.

I mean, sure, it's all well and good to be annoyed about Star Wars being ruined if there was nothing you could do about it, but there is. And if I mention Star Wars Despecialized in real life, people's reactions are almost always like "that's cool. :\" and become quickly disinterested in discussing it further. I have yet to have someone say "Hey, where can I find that? Can you burn me a copy?"

Well... except Sam Healey of the Dice Tower (board game reviewers), whom I emailed to see if he wanted a copy.

I have watched both Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back like that. They were very well restored, and I was super happy about it. I watched those two movies for the first time in 12-13 years, and it was a lot of fun.

So I would have been happy if you told me. (And you actually did :) ). I guess some people like complaining.

If you guys have ever seen the Warriors cut I speak of then you understand my pain. I don't understand why filmmakers see a need to do all these edits of their films years after the release. I don't get why George Romero had to add twenty minutes to Dawn Of The Dead or why Spielberg thought it was a good idea to stick walkie talkies in E.T.

Edited by Noname215

Just now, Noname215 said:

If you guys have ever seen the Warriors cut I speak of then you understand my pain. I don't understand why filmmakers see a need to do all these edits of their films years after the release. I don't get why George Romero hand to add twenty minutes to Dawn Of The Dead or why Spielberg thought it was a good idea to stick walkie talkies in E.T.

I don't mind, as long as the original versions are commercially available, like Blade Runner or Apocalypse Now! But it really sucks that movies like Star Wars, E.T., Amadeus, and so many others cannot be watched legally in their original versions (at high quality picture and sound).

Blade Runner has an excuse due to all the initial release problems. I do wish that they kept the narration in The Final Cut, though, but I feel like it diminished the film noir feel a bit.

I'm not against director's cuts of movies in general, as long as they make genuine improvements like with Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid or the Lord Of The Rings trilogy.

Well, you could argue that the same applies to Star Wars, as it had a rocky production. But that doesn't "justify" adding cgi aliens all over the place.

They did similar things to the Final Cut, too. They removed wires, created new flames for the chimneys, and a lot of other stuff. It's just more subtle than the Star Wars changes.

There's this Star Wars novel coming out called Inferno Squad which is meant to be the antithesis of Rogue One. I haven't been interested in any of the novels since Red Harvest, but my curiosity is peaked.

20 hours ago, Chyron said:

And at this point I kind of feel like--if someone says the original Original Trilogy is "hard to find and thank God for their copies on VHS"--as a fan, it makes me bummed and slightly irritated that they like it enough to complain about George but still aren't interested enough to bother downloading PT fan edits and OT restorations. (It's true the fan edit community tries to keep projects fairly hush-hush, but they really aren't hard to find if one bothers to look for them.)

I mean, sure, it's all well and good to be annoyed about Star Wars being ruined if there was nothing you could do about it, but there is. And if I mention Star Wars Despecialized in real life, people's reactions are almost always like "that's cool. :\" and become quickly disinterested in discussing it further. Like, they seem to be a fan, and that makes me excited to talk about it, but they really just wanted to vent a bit and move on. I have yet to have someone say "Hey, where can I find that? Can you burn me a copy?"

Well... except Sam Healey of the Dice Tower (board game reviewers), whom I emailed to directly ask if he wanted a copy.

I don't know I watched a fan edit because I read you talking about it and thought it was good. Maybe people just aren't following up and telling you after they watch it.

I also watched the despecialized editions on your recommendation! (In fact, I think I posted asking for advice on how to actually find the damn things - the fan-edit community has essentially walled itself in from newcomers now, which is a real shame. Thankfully I found a torrent.)

I remember watching an edit of Raiders of the Lost Ark where all the audio was removed, the John Williams score was replaced by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross's score to The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, and had a black and white filter placed over it.

Do any of you have opinions on any fan edits of the prequels you liked?

I actually like the prequels now, after hating 1 and 2 for a long time until I found edits that I liked which fixed them.

Finally some decent acting. And I know that Ian McDermot was one of the few really high points of the prequels and that it would be incredibly difficult to top his performance, but I think this video actually did it.

"HENCEFORTH YOU SHALL BE KNOWN AS DARTH.........................................VADER." lol

I'm officially not a pirate anymore regarding obtaining Star Wars fan edits. I just received the copy of "Star Wars: The Complete Saga" on bluray that I bought for 30 bucks on eBay. I suppose I ought to rip everything included to my media server, but I really only bought it because fanedit rules say you need to own the blurays before obtaining edits that source them.

..and my wife said I ought to by now, given the number of times I've watched and/or downloaded Star Wars edits.

Edited by Chyron

It's time for the Jedi to end.  So, does that mean Luke will die?

I don't know if I shared this in this thread before or not, but last month (I think it was last month) I published a thing that attempts to explore what makes a good Star Wars game. In it, I try to go into what makes Star Wars interesting, reflect on games I've played, and try to explore the commonalities that Star Wars games across the ages have had. I also put together a big timeline of Star Wars games from 1982's The Empire Strikes back on the Atari 2600 through to stuff that was released earlier this year.

I don't think, because Luke is distraught over the deaths of his students when Yoda tasked him with passing on what he had learned, that the movie is trying to say the Jedi should end. Luke is just blaming himself for what has happened.

Peace is a lie. There is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
-- Code of the Sith

I've been reading a lot of Star Wars books lately.

I just finished Thrawn a few days ago. Fantastic book. Thrawn's character, motivations, history and people are all very consistent with Legends so far. Interesting surprise at the end too.

I then decided to listen to the audiobook because Marc Thompson is the king of Star Wars audiobook narration and also narrated the Thrawn Trilogy. Loved his Thrawn voice, a deep baritone brit performance. But apparently Disney forced him to do an impression of Lars Mikkleson's performance on Rebels instead. :'( Sooooo inferior. Gotta give it to Marc, though, he did beg and appeal to Disney to try to convince them that there's room for different interpretations. But now that Thrawn has been immortalized as Lars' rendition on Rebels that's what "most people" would expect to recognize. Marc himself should have been Thrawn on Rebels really if there was any chance. But Lars' voice DOES match Rebel's design of his character. He was just less recognizable in Rebels to me than he was in Zahn's books. And it's just a shame that the very recognizable Thrawn in this new book doesn't have the old recognizable voice. :(

I have Thrawn on audiobook. But it's one of several Star Wars audiobooks I have yet to listen to. I haven't watched Clone Wars in its entirety, so I'm binge watching it (currently mid-season 4) in order to catch up on certain characters like Ahsoka and Ventriss before I listen to their respective post-Clone-Wars audiobooks.

And meanwhile, I'm also finishing up the third book in the Darth Bane trilogy.

Edited by Chyron

13 hours ago, MusicallyInspired said:

Loved his Thrawn voice, a deep baritone brit performance. But apparently Disney forced him to do an impression of Lars Mikkleson's performance on Rebels instead. :'( Sooooo inferior.

I don't understand, has he recorded two versions of the audio-book?

No. In the past Marc has done other Legends Star Wars audiobooks that feature Thrawn (the Thrawn Trilogy and Hand of Thrawn Duology) and since there was no standard to imitate, he made his own while working closely with the author (Zahn). He used it for every audiobook until Disney announced Thrawn as a new canon character in Star Wars Rebels. Lars Mikkleson was the voice on the show and so Disney forced him to imitate Lars' performance for the new canon Thrawn audiobook instead of using the old Thrawn voice he came up with himself for earlier Legends audiobooks.