Double Fine Action Forums
Chyron

Star Wars - May The Thread Be With You

Ahhh, I see. Sorry, I was conflating Thrawn and the Thrawn trilogy. Yeah, that sucks, it's like if they had asked Stephen Fry to start copying the film performances for his readings of the later Harry Potters.

I'm currently listen to Dynasty of Evil (Darth Bane 3) and when an alarm sounds in the book, the audiobook has a Star Trek TNG red alert klaxon in the background. So while Johnathan Davis is narrating, I'm continually envisioning Picard shouting "Shut off that damn noise!!"

Edited by Chyron

They're fantastic stories. I bought Path of Destruction on paperback when it was originally released, and absolutely loved it, having had no prior interest in Star Wars novels.
I love Drew Karpyshyn but I can't stand the narrator for the Mass Effect audiobooks. Guess I'll have to actually read those instead some day.

*looks at Drew Karpyshyn's wiki page*
... "Star Wars: The Old Republic: Revan"

ooh. Guess I'm getting that series soon.

Edited by Chyron

OMG. Darth Bane is in the Clone Wars series?!! Wow. SO glad I finished that book trilogy now.

Also, whoever said they cancelled The Clone Wars series just when it was really good is absolutely correct. Fantastic show.

Yeah, but that doesn't canonize anything in the Darth Bane trilogy other than him creating the Rule of Two. Darth Bane was actually George's idea from the beginning when he first wrote TPM, wasn't it?

9 hours ago, MusicallyInspired said:

Darth Bane was actually George's idea from the beginning when he first wrote TPM

Hmm. Apparently Bane is in the TPM novelization (Whether that means it's from George's mind or Terry Brooks' is unclear).

But canon would also have me follow the theatrical versions of the prequels. Which means midicl...ugh. No thank you. Absofrickenlutely not.

Edited by Chyron

George disavowed midichlorians. I remember a quote from him saying something along the lines of "Maybe Qui-Gon was wrong." Bane was definitely George's idea, though.

Phil Lord & Chris Miller left the Han Solo movie due to creative differences.

Edited by Noname215

Creative differences with Kathleen Kennedy, apparently. The wording makes it sound like differences with eachother, though.

Either way.....*yawn*....wake me up when they finally announce a Kenobi film with Ewan.

1 hour ago, Noname215 said:

Ron Howard's finishing what was started by Phil Lord and Chris Miller.

Ooh. Okay, then.

....in a way that Kathleen Kennedy is pleased with. It isn't EXACTLY what they left behind because obviously she wasn't happy with that. Hence their being dropped.

Lawrence Kasdan really only has one bad movie to his name, Wyatt Earp with Kevin Costner.

Don't forget Silverado and The Big Chill. The man is a terrific filmmaker.

Apparently Lord & Miller went against Kasdan's screenplay and focused too much on having Han Solo be a comedic personality and have too much improv. Lucasarts has done something similar before, when they had Tony Gillroy rewrite and direct a bunch of reshoots for Rogue One with Garett Edwards' involvement. 

Then you got the rumors of Lord & Miller stepping back in to direct The Flash for DC now that they're  no longer doing Star Wars. God forbid they actually make that Men In Black/21 Jump Street movie.

Edited by Noname215

For a movie that pretty much brought back the feeling of John Ford era classic westerns, the only thing it was missing was a robust Glen Campbell type theme song over opening credits. But who cares, that score was perfect.

I agree with Jonah Hill: the MIB/21 Jump St idea was clean and rad and powerful.

I thought Lord/Miller was an odd choice for the Han movie anyway, so getting the guy who directed Willow seems like a good move to me!

14 minutes ago, Noname215 said:

Apparently Lord & Miller went against Kasdan's screenplay and focused too much on having Han Solo be a comedic personality and have too much improv.

But... but Harrison Ford's improv is Harrison Ford doing it. I don't know anything about Alden Ehrenreich, but it's not the same thing for Alden to improv as Harrison Ford improving as Han Solo.

Just now, Bookdust said:

Yeah but Ford only did that a few times. And the few notable examples were actually good ideas, that doesn't mean that everytime Harrison Ford decided he didn't like a line or a character action that he got his way in the change. And I'm honestly of the opinion that you don't play fast and loose with the work of a genius like Kasdan, the two really big Ford examples not withstanding.

All I can say is, we're not having to worry about Lucas' fart jokes, so the script is probably worth sticking to.

Han Solo is supposed to be sarcastic, cynical and (with the exception of his friendship with Chewbacca) self-centered. Not a guy cracking jokes and getting into wild & wacky hijinks while being a reluctant hero.

6 hours ago, Noname215 said:

Han Solo is supposed to be a sarcastic, cynical scoundrel who is (with the exception of his friendship with Chewbacca) self-centered. Not a guy cracking jokes and getting into wild & wacky hijinks while being a reluctant hero.

Fixed.

Colin Trevorrow has been fired from Episode XI for the same reason Phil Lord & Chris Miller left Han Solo.

Considering what a stinker Jurassic World was, I'm not sure how he got that job in the first place. 

Granted that I know very little about movie production, that I can't for sure determine where the blame for the critical failure that film was, but I still think that it was cause of great concern. 

2 hours ago, CecilRousso said:

Considering what a stinker Jurassic World was, I'm not sure how he got that job in the first place. 

Granted that I know very little about movie production, that I can't for sure determine where the blame for the critical failure that film was, but I still think that it was cause of great concern. 

Jurassic World made a whole lot of money.

The Book of Henry, however, did not.

Though also a critical failure is not the same as a box office failure. From what I'm reading about Jurassic World, having not seen it myself, it was really only critically praised as a good popcorn movie. Star Wars films are not popcorn movies.

Edited by Chyron

1 hour ago, Noname215 said:

Jurassic World made a whole lot of money.

Don't see that as a good enough answer, considering that this is Star Wars. That series has always been a strong moneymaker, and if there was any worry that it wouldn't be succesful, Episode 7 already shown that it still was. I really want to think that there has to have been more behind that decision. 

Sigh, when I saw that the thread got a new reply, I was hoping to see a new Last Jedi trailer since we're only 3 months away.