Double Fine Action Forums
Chyron

Star Wars - May The Thread Be With You

It's not a sci-fi movie, it's a fantasy one. That's why I'm willing to overlook the 'sound in space' nonsense.

(Well, that and the whole "sounds are recreated in the cockpit so pilots can tell where enemy ships are", which is a genuine thing from the now non-canon novels and is an idea so brilliant I want to give the guy who came up with it a medal)

You are all wrong and also right.

Star Wars is primarily a Chanbara film, but it also has elements of:

* War Film

* Fantasy

* Science Fiction(specifically the "Space Opera" subgenre)

* Adventure film(specifically the form of adventure that makes up many 30s serials)

* Westerns

And within the Expanded Universe and even in the still-in-canon cartoons, you can find other genre formats, such as mystery, horror, spy fiction, and so on and soforth.

For the broadest genre definition, I tend to go with "Science Fantasy".

or Space Fantasy.

Also:

“The difference between science fiction and fantasy […] is simply this: science fiction has rivets and fantasy has trees.”

— Orson Scott Card

Can I be the first to mention how much I hated the Star Wars Comic humble bundle?

It wasn't because I hated the comics. No, in fact most of them were quite decent. But they made sure every goddamn series volume you got in the bundle would end in a cliffhanger. Please writers! No! Cliffhangers are suffering! Suffering leads to the dark side! We must have the end as well as the beginning! Complete, balanced Story Arks!

There MUST be a balance in the force!

Good to finally see Carrie Fisher and a bit more Harrison Ford, but where the hell's Mark Hamill and C-3PO

Just bought 4 tickets to see TFA on Saturday, Dec. 19th at a theatre that has reserved seating.

Just bought 4 tickets to see TFA on Saturday, Dec. 19th at a theatre that has reserved seating.

I'm going to the marathon.

I refuse to watch the official Original Trilogy if they're post-SE; I refuse to watch the prequels unless they're fan edits.

That is to say: the post-theatrical George Lucas Edits can go suck it. Harmy, Adywan, Q2 and dark_jedi are my Star Wars editors of choice.

Harmy restored the OUT using various sources including the Blurays and unfaded 35mm print scans.

dark_jedi restored the OUT solely by upscaling and color correcting the GOUT (2006 bonus DVD).

Adywan imprived the SE of A New Hope by removing nonsensical changes and meticulously adding new need changes/fixes.

Q2 made the prequels watchable by removing bickering, making Anakin not whiny or creepy, and by not killing Padme.

I refuse to watch the official Original Trilogy if they're post-SE; I refuse to watch the prequels unless they're fan edits.

That is to say: the post-theatrical George Lucas Edits can go suck it. Harmy, Adywan, Q2 and dark_jedi are my Star Wars editors of choice.

I have the original trilogy on first edition VHS tapes, the unedited, no CGI cuts where Han shoots first and there isn't so much dancing in Jabba's palace, so I'm good there.

I had a copy of the Holiday Special once, but that 'accidentally' got obliterated during a session of skeet shooting.

You don't actually /watch/ anything on VHS anymore, do you?

Seriously. Getting Harmy's or dark_jedi's restorations is well worth the minimal effort involved.

You say "bootleg" and I think of someone in a theatre with a camcorder.

I did burn the discs, buy the empty cases, and have the art printed myself, yes.

But the video quality is HD 720p and it shows. It's not illegal. The editors strongly advise you to buy an official copy before you download their edits.

VHS is magnetic tape which wears out, and you're probably getting 240i from it.

Noname, you live in Moore, don't you? I mean, I could actually give you a copy since I live in Jenks.

Also, the changes Lucasfilm made to the originals aren't limited to Jedi Rocks, Greedo shooting at Han, Gungan Celebrations, Haden-ghost, or Vader yelling "NO!" in ROTJ. They also screwed up the color palette, increased the contrast so much that much detail was lost (ie. crushed blacks). A crazy LONG list of changes.

Noname, you live in Moore, don't you? I mean, I could actually give you a copy since I live in Jenks.

What? No, I live in San Francisco.

Also, the changes Lucasfilm made to the originals aren't limited to Jedi Rocks, Greedo shooting at Han, Gungan Celebrations, Haden-ghost, or Vader yelling "NO!" in ROTJ. They also screwed up the color palette, increased the contrast so much that much detail was lost (ie. crushed blacks). A crazy LONG list of changes.

Good to know. I'll have to rewatch my tapes to see exactly what I do or don't recognize.

>.>

<.<

Okay, SOMEBODY here lives in Moore. I remember them talking about the tornado hitting (or maybe almost hitting) the theatre there.

I've done quite a bit of research regarding prequel fan edits. By "research" I mean downloading and watching various ones.

As I've said previously, The Phantom Edit was what kicked off the whole prequel fan edit craze. But the reality is that it's not very good. It doesn't edit out enough, some hard cuts are poorly done, and he replaced the crawl with an editor's note.

I love Kerr's LOTR edits. Apparently he had come up with the idea for Episode 3 to adjust the Palpatine-Windu fight so that Palpatine reveals his true Sith form rather than getting warped by his own lightning. He also seems to be the best at implementing it, but that's the only thing going for his Ep. 3 edit. For some reason his edit is sped up. The faster movement and the higher pitched dialogue is jarring.

Stankpac also used to have a good fanedit, but when he updated it he added a modified version of Kerr's "Sith reveal" which I don't like. It has this really loud heartbeat sound leading up, and a thunderclap as you first see Sith-Palpatine clearly. It's not very professionally done. Also, his title card has a nearly naked woman on it, which I can't show to my nephews.

L8wrtr's edits used to be my edits of choice, but they do have their problems. In Ep 1 he added in the cut fight Anakin has with Greedo, and put it in a place where it doesn't make much sense. In Ep 3 he did add a Sith-reveal which is better than Stanckpac's but worse than Kerr's. Palpatine changes, but there's no obvious explanation why. Also, in an effort to not show Yoda using a lightsaber, there is a WTF moment where Yoda was about to be attacked but is later seen safe with nothing shown how he escaped. And Chewbacca is mentioned. Stupid. Really it was L8wrtr's Ep 2 I liked most.

And then there's Q2. Q2's Fall of the Jedi Trilogy is my go to for the prequels. Although they're not without their problems. The title crawls move too quickly for the music, and it's not known who destroyed the droid control ship in Ep 1. But everything else is great. He doesn't include a Sith-reveal, but as I said, the edits that do other things well do that poorly; and the one that does that well does other things poorly.

It's hard to go into all the things I like about various edits. Many of them are little, devil-in-the-details sorts of things. Such as cutting annoying dialogue without there being an obvious gap where dialogue should have been; hard cuts not being jarring; music flowing well. Though there are certain must-haves, like no references to the chosen one, and absolutely no talk of midichlorians.

I seem to recall that there was one edit of Ep3 that was going to have Padme live, and use footage of Natalie Portman from another film to show her holding baby Leia in the closing montage.

Does that one ring a bell? I can't for the life of me remember the name of it. Might have to try and find it on YouTube, I could swear I've seen it somewhere.

EDIT: It's HAL9000's edit, Episode III: Labyrinth of Evil.

I remember a fan edit of Revenge of the Sith that involved more than a few horrifically intense sex scenes.

Wait a minute...