Double Fine Action Forums
Chyron

Star Wars - May The Thread Be With You

OK, so it turns out Padme living was done in a couple of fan-edits. Guess it was an idea that caught on?

So far it's turned up in HAL9000's edit, Q2's edit, and the first person to do it, The Cutter (who's edit I can't actually seem to find).

The reason I can't find the footage is because it's from The Cutter's edit, and it was deleted from YouTube after - and I'm not kidding - someone reported it. Wonderful. Oh, and he hasn't actually finished his edit, which is why I couldn't find it.

I seem to recall that there was one edit of Ep3 that was going to have Padme live, and use footage of Natalie Portman from another film to show her holding baby Leia in the closing montage.

Does that one ring a bell? I can't for the life of me remember the name of it. Might have to try and find it on YouTube, I could swear I've seen it somewhere.

EDIT: It's HAL9000's edit, Episode III: Labyrinth of Evil.

I don't know who originally came up with the idea. Maybe it was HAL9000, but Q2 /also/ used it in his Episode III. [edit] Okay, so I just read you said it was from The Cutter's edit. Whoever he is. Okay then.[/edit]

The movie that shows her alive with Leia is footage from The Other Boleyn Girl.

EpEQfUU.png

I've watched Labyrinth of Evil. I didn't remember what exactly I didn't like about it... until just now when I went to fanedit.org to read reviews. HAL's edit includes Vader yelling "NOOO!!!!"do not want at the end, (among other things) which is a straight up deal breaker for me. Q2 leaves Anakin burned on the side of the lava flow and we're left to wonder what happened to him and perhaps presume him dead. Along with the removal of any mention of the name "Vader", it keeps the ESB reveal of Vader as Luke's father intact.

http://fanedit.org/ifdb/component/jreviews/tag/franchise/star-wars/

Notes from Q2's edits:

Like many fanedits before it, my version aims to cut bad acting, bad dialog and streamline the film. I’ve also attempted bring the prequels in alinement with the original trilogy by cutting anything that broke continuity. I really want viewers to be able to watch Episodes 1 – 6, in order, without having key moments in the later films spoiled. Anakin no longer is C3PO’s creator. In fact, C3PO and R2D2 are no longer major (minor?) characters in the PT. They are now just like any other droid. They do have minor dialog here or there, but they are never referenced by name nor are their roles significant.

---

Continuing with the Fall of the Jedi trilogy, Episode 2 cuts poorly written dialog and bad acting while enhancing the romance we’re suppose to believe in between Anakin and Padme. Also gone are references to R2D2 and C-3PO and moments that broke continuity with the original trilogy. Additonal Note: Some early viewers have asked me why I didn’t remove Anakin’s surname from the second film. (He maintains “Skywalker” in the first film as well.) The concern is that by keeping it in the film the audience will know that Luke is related to Anakin in A New Hope.

I never felt that this was a mystery, nor that keeping the audience in the dark about it was needed. My rationale for this is that in my cut of Episode 3 we know Anakin and Padme are pregnant. By the end of the film we know that child is actually twins, but it’s never revealed that one is a boy and one is a girl. Their names are never given either. All we know at the end of the third film is that they need to be split up to be kept safe, and that Padme takes one while Obi-Wan the other. The idea, hopefully, is that most people will assume identical twins, not fraternal. This way the sibling mystery is preserved.

Also, in my cut of Episode 3, the last time we see Anakin is when Obi-Wan walks away from him as he burns alive. We never hear the name “Vader” in my cut, nor do we see Anakin being built into how we see him in the OT. With these changes I feel I’ve maintained the mystery I wanted to preserve. Knowing Luke is the son of Anakin doesn’t hurt the flow in my opinion. Knowing that Anakin is Vader in the OT does, as does knowing Luke and Leia are siblings.

Please remember my goal was to edit the PT in such a way that someone who has never seen any of the Star Wars films could watch them in order without having key moments in the OT spoiled by the PT. In this I feel I have succeeded.

---

Completing the Fall of the Jedi trilogy, Episode 3 continues with the deletion of R2D2 and C-3PO, and removing bad dialog and acting. Even more extreme, the final battle between Yoda and Palpatine has been removed as well as Padme giving birth (and dying).

Special Thanks to the following for their input on this edit: Dwight Fry, L8wrtr, Neglify, Quickcut, Reave, and TV's Frink. And to The Cutter for being the first to show Padme alive utilizing footage from The Other Boleyn Girl. I mean no disrespect by borrowing your idea.

I know we've discussed prequel edits here before, and at least one person doesn't like that Q2 removed mention of the droids. What I don't like is 3PO's eye-rolling anachronisms and cheese. Also, it makes no sense for R2 to be able to fly, or he'd have used it on Dagobah.

As I say, I consider L8wrtr's edits a close second.

Notes from L8wrtr's edits:

The first fanedit in the L8wrtr Star Wars Prequel Trilogy, Shadow of the Sith both radically improves The Phantom Manace as well as sets the tone for the entire re-edited prequel universe. With a focus on quality characters, improved pacing and relentless removal of childish humor and redundant story-telling, this edit bends Episode I back into the direction of the Original Trilogy, respecting concepts established

As is the case for many fans of Star Wars, The Phantom Edit went a long way toward rescuing the original Phantom Menace for me. For a long time both it and his follow-up edit of Episode II were my ‘definitive’ versions of the films.

With Nichols choosing to never release an edit of Episode III I began playing around with the idea of editing it myself. I'd never edited anything before and my first attempts were crude at best, but over time I refined my ideas on how the PT could be concluded with a stronger, more compelling final chapter. Technical/quality issues with my early drafts led me to fanedit.org where I found the expertise and assistance needed to resolve the challenges I was facing.

By that time however I'd come to understand just how much could be achieved with fanediting. No longer could I be satisfied Mike Nichols' releases. I realized that these movies could be cut deeper, that more nuance could be applied within scenes to change tone and improve dialog, which improves character and audience reaction. With that in mind, and with a clear end-point of how the entire Prequel Trilogy would be concluded, I postponed re-working my Episode III edit and turned my eye to the full Trilogy.

With this new purpose I sat down and created three overal priorities or goals for each edit.

1) Improve the story told within the film itself as much as possible, making the characters more likable/interesting, and making the plot more engaging and enjoyable.

2) Manipulate character improvements so as to create a more fertile backdrop for Episode III. With improvements that I had planned for Episode III I realized that I could maximize their impact by altering the audience's perceptions fo the characters, so Shadow of the Sith and The Republic Divided both seek help the audience invest in the characters so that the dramatic events of the final chapter are more meaningful, and then carry more importance when watching the Original Trilogy

3) Modify/remove aspects introduced in the Prequels that I don't feel match with the Original Trilogy. In the L8wrtr trilogy there are no midichlorians, Darth is not a Sith title and will not be heard until Vader is Knighted in Episode III, and R2 never, ever flies.

This edit was originally released in July 2010 in standard definition using Adywan's color corrected theatrical construction as the foundation. In 2012, armed with the BluRay saga I completely re-edited Shadow of the Sith from the ground-up. This new version allowed me to fix several audio problems from the original release (the LFE channel didn't work properly) as well as apply more refined editing techniques that I have learned along the way, as well as make massive improvements on the quality of the deleted scenes used (though they still stand-out against the theatrical footage)

Special thanks for invaluable help with the initial release: Hebrides helped color correct the deleted footage to match Adywan's work as much as possible, TV's Frink provided excellent guidance and ideas which helped refine/focus my approach to my first edit, Remixed by Jorge unwittingly became a first-class mentor and technical guru and lastly, a huge thank you to The Man Behind the Mask for rejecting my first submission. His detailed notes and made this a better fanedit, and made me a better faneditor.

With the 2012 remaster, special thanks to Q2 for guidance on working in HD and up-converting standard def material, and NJVC for graciously volunteering to create the beautiful menus for the BD disks, which then became the basis for the standard def releases as well.

----

The Republic Divided continues the approach that L8wrtr established in his first edit, Shadow of the Sith. This fanedit radically improves the relationships between the key players of the Prequel, creating believable friendships and more importantly a love story which is no longer creepy and forced. The action sequences are drastically altered to improve pacing and keep the focus on story. This chapter is key in recreating a

Attack of the Clones is a frustrating film. It looks and feels like a Star Wars film, but there are so many moments that just take me out of the film that I find it hard to watch. Whether it’s Mel’s Couuscant Diner, Obi-Wan’s feeble intellect, Anakin’s explosive whining, or the dumbfounding Droid Factory sequence, anything that is done well in this film is negated by a wave of inexplicable story-telling choices.

As with Shadow of the Sith my goal with The Republic Divided is to trim out the inexplicable story elements, improve the quality of the characters by relieving them of annoying and/or frustration dialog, and in general, improving the tone and pace of the film. When all of this clutter is removed, a respectable movie emerges, with Palpatine quietly setting all the pieces for his master-stroke which unfolds in Episode III.

----

[Dawn of the Empire] is the final installment of L8wrtr’s Star Wars Prequel Trilogy. Building on the improvements to characters, relationships and motivations made in his edits of Episodes I & II, Dawn of the Empire creates a subtle but more realistic and tragic fall from grace for Anakin. This edit provides a more comprehensive and emotionally charged conclusion to the Prequels in preparation for the Original Trilogy.

Dawn of the Empire is the combination of multiple, complimentary goals. In the broadest terms my goal was to bring my fanedits of the Prequel Trilogy full circle, maintaining the same principles regarding dialog, pacing and removal of ineffective humor in order to create a tone throughout the PT that is more compatible with the Original Trilogy.

Second, I wanted to complete my correction of certain story elements which I felt were in conflict with the OT, particularly flying R2, the title of Darth, and of course the removal of midichlorians.

Lastly, and specific to this edit I wanted to strengthen the story of how Palpatine twists and manipulates Anakin into viewing the Jedi as dishonest, as well as fill out the story with the Birth of the Rebellion deleted scene.

Specific to the story of Episode III, my goal was to make Dawn of the Empire a more compelling, tragic and emotionally satisfying take on Revenge of the Sith. In bigger terms, it’s my hope that the totality of the L8wrtr PT will help enhance viewings of the OT by creating more engaging characters that the viewer can care about, so that the OT’s emotional strings have more weight and impact, particularly with the final chapter of Return of the Jedi.

I once saw an edit that cut up the original trilogy into a single 2 hour 45 minute movie. Han is never frozen in carbonate and they never go to Jabba's Palace, the battle of Hoth is shortened, and the Yoda encounters are chopped together so Luke never goes back to Dagobah in Return of the Jedi.

Oh, and there's no celebration on Endor after the destruction of the Death Star. The ending of this particular cut is the ending of A New Hope.

Disney wants to discontinue Leia's golden bikini from any merchandise or marketing. Which means no book covers, no comics, no t-shirts or costumes or anything.

Apparently a strong female character isn't allowed to have femininity. I mean, sure she's chained up in a bikini, but she takes that chain and strangles Jabba The Hutt to death with it!

But it's Disney, not Touchstone. The Disney brand is supposed to be family-friendly.

Disney wants to discontinue Leia's golden bikini from any merchandise or marketing. Which means no book covers, no comics, no t-shirts or costumes or anything.

Apparently a strong female character isn't allowed to have femininity. I mean, sure she's chained up in a bikini, but she takes that chain and strangles Jabba The Hutt to death with it!

carrie fisher is like 60 now why do you still want to see her in a bikini

I'm talking about 1980s Carrie Fisher, not modern day.

59. And why not. I mean, the original Star Wars fans are like 55 now. They probably felt like pervs lusting after Natalie Portman already. :P

JUST watched that one.

59. And why not. I mean, the original Star Wars fans are like 55 now. They probably felt like pervs lusting after Natalie Portman already. :P

Why would we feel like pervs for lusting after Natalie Portman? She's still hot. Hell, she's half the reason I watch the Thor movies.

Let us debate why Mark Hamill isn't in any of the marketing.

MY THEORY: He's become hideously ugly and to see him even on a poster or in a trailer would cause your eyeballs to crawl into the back of your skull, sink into a fetal position and cry.

I hope they go for Luke Skywalker being a lonely, broken old man who has to step in at last and help out, and not an evil Luke Skywalker being behind the evil mastermind. If they go for the first option, I also hope that they don't kill him off. We don't need a carbon copy of Obi-Wan Kenobi. They're probably going to kill someone, and I'm hoping for Han Solo, princess Leia, and/or the two droids.

There's a new international trailer out with a bit more new footage.

Warning: it's not as good as the last one.

Oh, and it's a bit more spolierific.

SdAUiyeJMFQ