Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SHODANFreeman

Day of the Tentacle HD

That's a real shame...

DOTT was a great game and it would be nice to see it updated and a bit easier to run without needing to ScumVm...

It is also something Disney don't care at all about and probably will never let finish...

Not sure if a remake of it could look good.

Not sure if it even needs a remake.

BUT DOTT IS SO F*CKING GOOD THAT I'M STILL UPSET OVER THESE NEWS. UPSET IN CAPITAL LETTERS!

They should have made remakes of all of the classics, just, contrary to the SEs of MI 1 & 2, with a decent and convincing gfx style as well.

Well the problem is, they were building the Special Editions on top of the originals, so they were kind of limited to what they could do.

No idea if that was the case with DOTT or not, but I hope it wasn't.

Well the problem is, they were building the Special Editions on top of the originals, so they were kind of limited to what they could do.

My favorite part of the MI special editions was how many backgrounds the original pixels were still visible in. And the white dots where they never bothered to check the edges of sprites before layering them.

There are no technical restrictions for choosing convincing ARGB values for a pixel.

DOTT had such a unique art style that the only way you could do it justice in high definition is to mimic that art style as closely as possible. If they did that, then there definitely wouldn't be a need to build it on top of the original, since there wouldn't be a reason to have to switch to the low definition original.

It makes me wonder though whether they would have included the Maniac Mansion Easter egg on the computer in Weird Ed's room.

A high definition remake of Maniac Mansion with voices would have been great (but I highly doubt they would have went that far with this).

I was a huge fan of the way they did the Monkey Island Special Edition (you could easily swap back and forth between the original and the remake graphics), and it was optimized to easily work on new platforms.

That would have been amazing, if they had been allowed to complete it, and it would have put a spotlight on it for a new generation of gamers to give it a try.

I was a huge fan of the way they did the Monkey Island Special Edition (you could easily swap back and forth between the original and the remake graphics), and it was optimized to easily work on new platforms.

That would have been amazing, if they had been allowed to complete it, and it would have put a spotlight on it for a new generation of gamers to give it a try.

Yea that's what I imagine a DoTT HD upgrade/revamp would have been like. It's a shame that the project didn't see the light of day.

It's sad that DOTT HD wasn't finished. Would have loved to play that. I also really enjoyed the Monkey Island HD versions.

But isn't it possible for Double Fine to buy back the rights from Disney somehow?

Then they could finish the job on DOTT and maybe do a sequel at some point...

Wow. That's really nice. I like how it retains the simplicity of the original, yet the details that can't be seen in low-res (the portrait on the wall), seem to fit in the style well (although it would be more fun if that were an injoke, ala the Manny Calavera portrait on the wall in Governor Phatt's mansion in the Monkey Island 2: Special Edition ;)).

Sign in to follow this