Sign in to follow this  
Chyron

Rate the Last Game You Finished.

See, but the Saints Row series also uses the "realistic" aesthetic that GTA uses. In terms of theme and visual style, the original SR was actually pretty similar to San Andreas (in just those two ways).

It's GTA's increasingly sh!tty gameplay and mission design that is killing it in my opinion. Back in the old days of GTA, you kinda just went buck wild in the city. You were a trouble maker, and the games let you make trouble in a million different ways. Serious, criminal trouble (murder, robbery, etc), or just smart assy silly trouble (beating random pedestrians with a dildo, etc). And the story didn't really take itself too seriously either.

San Andreas really does straddle the line between the new and the old, because it has both. Unlike earlier GTA games, San Andreas tries to have a serious story with, like, meaningful characters who have philosophies and experience tragedies and shed tears and all that. But at the same time, San Andreas also lets you fly through the city on a jet pack while wearing leather chaps and a leopard-skin cowboy hat, landing only to beat someone to death with a giant purple double-ended dildo.

Can you take off your pants and fly up to people on a jetpack and beat them to death with a dildo in GTA IV? No. GTA IV is too boringly serious. And that's only where the trouble begins.

The series is working so hard at its narrativeness that all the wacky hijinks have been sucked out of it. But the wacky hijinks is what made it great to start with! That's why Saints Row is stealing away all the old GTA fans, because Saints Row hasn't forgotten that this style of game is about being a punk, smart assy, trouble-makin' prankster. Or look at Rockstar's game Bully, which had "serious" elements to it, but was mostly a game about pulling pranks and making trouble. And that's kinda what GTA is all about too, only the pranks aren't stink bombs, they're murder and bank heists. But they're murder and bank heists IN A HOT DOG SUIT. You know?!?!

Plus the cities are more boring now. It's so insane that Rockstar can create these huge, living, breathing cities and yet they feel so mind-numbingly empty.

And I agree that the controls/camera keep getting worse. I like being able to set my own camera as I drive, but the most recent GTAs not only automatically position the camera behind you, but they also automatically set the camera height to a specific angle, which is usually a handicap, because nine times out of ten it makes driving harder than it needs to be. I also hated how they handled the handbrake/fishtailing in GTA IV. I learned to deal with it, but I never liked it.

GTA is dead. Go to Saints Row and be happy.

Also, Saints Row 2 really is the best.

The whole map is open in the beginning of GTA5. I'm not on that bandwagon though. I loved SR4; Homages to everything Sci-fi(from Blade Runner to Matrix to Mass Effect).

I am quite enjoying Saints Row³ and never even touched the second one. I might once I finish the third one.

It's just what I missed in GTA since San Andreas. It's silly, has this gang thing going on without being all Homie Nigga mother- fuck -er all the time and I can explore everything in the city without artificial barriers that only get lifted when I complete more story (apart from challenges that I have no interest in anyway). It's what I always wanted GTA to be and it makes it so much harder to get back to (even) the (good) GTA games.

I don't want to go back to GTA because I have to play the missions just to unlock the full city. I just want to run around, cause chaos and collect stuff.

SR3 is really fun, but believe it or not, as open as SR3 still is, it's different from SR2 in that the way they structure the "story" is much more linear.

Here is a list of (totally non-spoilery) differences:

Story:

SR3: The Saints find themselves combatting multiple gangs within the city, but the story and mission structure are written in such a way that these multiple gangs are allied into a single evil gang alliance. So really it's just more or less a single gang (and therefore a single storyline) you're fighting for the entire game, and for most of the game the Luchador is your ultimate nemesis.

SR2: The story is written in such a way that there are three different gangs you're up against and they all control different parts of the city. Also, they all have COMPLETELY INDEPENDENT STORYLINES. There are usually multiple story missions available for each gang at any given time. You can complete them in any order you want, and you can jump back and forth between different gangs' stories. You can take out the individual gangs completely and one at a time, or you can (and probably will) hop around.

UPGRADES:

SR3: You get new upgrades by purchasing them from your phone, but they only become available for purchase in your phone when you acquire enough fame or complete certain story missions.

SR2: You can't purchase upgrades. Instead, every mini-game has 6 levels of difficulty. You get a free upgrade to something for completing level 3 and for completing level 6. Every level of the mini-game is accessible from the start and you can just play through all six levels non-stop from a single location until you beat all six levels (unlike SR3 which spreads all the levels around the map and doesn't give you any upgrades as a reward). The SR2 way is awesomer, because it incentivizes the mini-games and side-quests and makes you want to play them a lot more.

CRIBS & CRIB CUSTOMIZATION:

SR3: It's more like the current GTA games where cribs are just unlocked or assigned to you. The "upgrades" are just numerical/statistical upgrades you purchase from a menu. They don't do a whole lot. Also, there's not really a good reason to ever go to your crib except just to remember that you have one. You pick up your paycheck through your phone.

SR2: Like some of the older GTA games, there are cribs all over the map from the start at various prices. As soon as you have enough money, you can go buy them. They're pretty run down at first, but you can purchase upgrades to your furniture and decorations, etc, to transform your rat-infested sh!thole into a sweet bachelor pad with entertainment centers, hot tubs, pool tables, bars, stripper poles, and all that. If you stop by your crib, once a day you can get free ammo for your weapons from your weapon locker and your paycheck from the safe. (You have to go to your crib to collect your paycheck!) Your crib also lets you play video games. There is a zombie survival mini-game that you can play from your couch. It's so-so in terms of fun, but it's really cool that it's there.

Clothing options:

SR3: Clothes are much more uniquely designed and stylish, but you have much fewer customization options.

SR2: Clothes are a little more generic, but you have WAAAAY more customization options compared to SR3. For example, if you buy a hat in SR3, you can pretty much just wear it or not. If you buy a baseball cap in SR2, you get to choose its color, whether you wear it forward, back, to the left, or to the right, whether the bill flips up or down, whether you slightly tilt the hat on your head, and if you do tilt it, in what direction. AND SO ON. Choosing different colors for clothes is a lot more interesting in SR2 as well. In SR3, it pretty much just looks like the same clothes but a different color. In SR2, the way that you color a piece of clothing can make a huge difference, transforming something that looks like a janitor's shirt into something that looks like a designer shirt.

Characters:

SR2's are better. Shaundi is a completely different person in SR3 than how she started in SR2 (which is now an inside joke they make in SR4). She's a lot cooler in SR2. She's kind of an angry Gucci b!tch in SR3, whereas in SR2 she's more of a super chillaxed pot-smoking hippie (dreds and all) who loves to get high and drive fast. She's also your #1 information source. Pierce is pretty much just a straight up homie in SR3---a fun guy, but kind of a regular guy. In SR2, though, he's more of a clumsy dork who's always getting one-upped by Shaundi. He's frequently the butt of the joke in any scene/mission he's in, and it's almost always legitimately funny. Just as Shaundi lost her original coolness in the transition to SR3, Pierce lost most of his humor.

Bosses:

SR2's are cooler. You'll see.

Johnny Gat:

SR2 has him. SR3 doesn't.

Character Body/Face/Skin Color Customization:

This is one place where SR3 is mostly superior. You have a lot more options in this regard for SR3 than in SR2 with ONE exception....

SR2 lets you give your character a permanent "facial expression", such as a scowl, if you like. Or just a completely ridiculous obnoxious salivating grin and big googly eyes. If you're into doing silly sh!t with your character, this will make you happy.

Silly/Weird Costumes:

SR2 has more of them.

I think they did a great job with Trevor but the other ones are just cookie cutter from Vice City & San Andreas. And I hate San Andreas because it sucks. Watching the first 90 minutes of GTA V I had so many bad flashbacks to San Andreas it put me off the game for good.

I agree. I really hated the girlfriend and territory elements of San Andreas. The dual wield and the climb jump were great additions, but the other two ruined the game completely for me.

The girlfriend stuff was completely optional outside of one mission.
San Andreas had its charms, but it was the start of a slippery slope towards realism that I personally wasn't a fan of.
Ummm...

Realism?

It was optional there too. There was one date you had to actually go on for a mission. What was annoying in GTA IV was all your friends calling you to hang out and getting pissed off when you didn't. Luckily, the expansions and now GTA V have it set up to where they don't call you anymore. There are less things to do with them when you do want to hang out though and that kind of bugs me. Maybe I just miss playing pool though. It was so good in San Andreas and IV.

It was optional there too. There was one date you had to actually go on for a mission. What was annoying in GTA IV was all your friends calling you to hang out and getting pissed off when you didn't. Luckily, the expansions and now GTA V have it set up to where they don't call you anymore. There are less things to do with them when you do want to hang out though and that kind of bugs me. Maybe I just miss playing pool though. It was so good in San Andreas and IV.

I did like playing pool with the friend characters, but man were their phone calls in GTA IV annoying. It was bad enough that they would call you in the middle of a mission and then get all pouty when you didn't abort the mission to come hang out with them, but then when you weren't on a mission and tried to call them back to hang out, they'd tell you to f*** off.

I loved hanging up on Roman, though. God I hated Roman. I would have loved to hit him with semi truck.

Anyway, pool was great, but all the other mini game activities kinda sucked. Darts, bowling, etc. They should keep the pool locations and then steal a couple of the mini-games from Bully's fair grounds. In particular the shooting range and the baseball toss. Those were pretty good. Maybe throw in some Liar's Dice, and you're in Rockstar mini-game heaven.

I think the calls during missions were scripted. In fact, I know they were. I played the game more than once, and they always call at the same times. Don't think it effected the friendship points when you turned them down though (which I believe was automatic anyway).

Another annoying thing in GTA V, if you have a mission coming up with one or more of the main characters involved, and you call them to hang out, they'll say something about you needing to focus on the job right now. Dude, there's no time limit to when we have to do this shit! Let's just go get wasted in the meantime. C'MON!

Planetary Annihilation

Not going to use a numerical score as this game is in Beta. Either way, setting aside all awesome things that are promised, planetary smashing, space travel, orbital, massive matches, which are currently either not in the game or only in in the most rudimentary fashion. Setting aside all those things, currently the game is just an all around good macro rts game, as somebody who is big into Supreme Commander, the strategy involved and the online matches I've had have just been great, even though right now with the big features missing it mostly is just unit to unit combat and expansion with some basic (extremely OP) planet settlement.

Also I'm comparing this game a lot to Supreme Commander, but the fact that this games battles take place on spherical planets, rather then flat maps, fundamentally changes the strategy you have to use completely, even with so much of it feeling similar to other RTSs like SupCom, this change is so massive to the way that you have to approach the game, that it feels completely different. Intel is now an absolute must, as it's impossible to guess where your enemies bases are without scouting, and radar coverage is needed as soon as possible (the fact that you can be attacked from any direction means you can easily get exploited without decent radar.)

However, bottom line I'd say, wait for this game to come out, then buy it. If this game hasn't already grabbed your interest, it's not worth spending 60 dollars over just waiting a few more months for it to properly come out. Only reason I have it is because I'd already backed the kickstarter, and as a result the Alpha did not cost me much extra to get into.

8/10 The Wolf Among Us Faith

I liked it, it is better than TWD for both Story so far, QTEs actually have impact and flow well and it feels more like an Adventure game.

I look forward to the next episode.

Oh, I should have put my Lego Marvel finishing statement here. Basically, I'm done. I don't know why I found it necessary to 100% it, but I did. I wanted a No Prize and I got one.

Really?!?

I'm gonna crack that the next time I play it. I won't abide always-on DRM.

The 7th Guest - Steam Version

Congratulations the port to ScummVM the Steam Version is using works. You can play through the game! Yay. The game itself is looking and feeling dated. The animations (changing scenes) are really laggy and the FMV scenes with the ghosts are pixelated. You might want to play this in a window.

Some of the puzzles take forever and deliver the same old puns as your entertainment. For Example even if you know how to solve the Knight-Puzzle you'll hear "Don't take all Knight" about 20 times during a successful solving attempt (good luck if you ever get stuck). Hey you could turn off your speakers but the worst part is you cannot make a move until the taunt is over. You have to wait for it.

Other puzzles could take forever to complete. Like the Microscope Puzzle. This is one of two puzzles that were removed on IOS because nobody knows how to solve this crap. It went so far that I used an external Java program someone made because programming it would take him less time than doing it in-game. There is a reason we don't see to many Attax clones nowadays. The best part about it is that most puzzles reward you with a cutscene for completing but this one doesn't. Hours wasted for nothing. Thanks game!

Some of the puzzles are completely random and the maze that has a map in the game actually needs a return home button. Other puzzles are completely random and might not even be solvable due to the randomness. Good luck with those.

As I said the age is showing and not even the story is really worth it. 5/10

Oh man, Fhqwhgads- that was my last game too! And yeah I got it for the nostalgia factor. Whoo- the acting in those cut scenes were baaaaad.. but of course, back in the day, I thought this game was the shit. To be fair, most of this game was pretty neat for its time with its 3D rendering. It looks horrible by today's standards, of course. I found if I reduce the screen size (Alt-Enter) it makes it look like how it used to on old squarish CRT monitors. There's still this weird effect with a green haze during some of the camera moves, but I seem to recall that's how it was in the original CD-ROM game.

Anyhow, there's a lot to pick at in this game: the dialogue and acting is atrocious, all the events seem out of order, there isn't any coherent direction, and some puzzles are ridiculously easy while others are ridiculously hard (though, I'm not sure if it's because I'm older now or what, but I actually got through even the hardest puzzles like the Microscope and Portrait now without too much difficulty). I actually went about and created solutions for each of the puzzles as I made my way through.

So- yes, it's very easy to poke holes in this game now, but back in its day- it was one of the first games to come out on CD-ROM and pioneered early 3D rendering. It was a huge commercial success, and even though, the movie scenes look blurry as shit, back in the day- everyone was like "Woah! They captured live actors in a computer game!" So yeah, your score of 5/10 sounds about right for today's gamers. But for old-timers that played the original- I think the nostalgia factor might bump it up to a 6.

Btw- I have a Bad Movie Club with my friends, and after playing this game- it occurred to me that we should set up a Bad Game Club here on DFAF. Someone could host a game of their choice each week. The idea is that there are games out there that are so crappy they make you laugh. Sort of like the movies Troll 2 or The Room. My first pick would be this NES abomination right here: The Uncanny X-men

I am... intrigued by your Bad Game Club idea. Perhaps we could sound out logistics?

EDIT: Wait, I broke a thousand posts? When did that happen? Man, I missed out on a celebratory thread! Dangit!

Congrats, Darth! Also I am totally in for Bad Game Club, though I'm not too familiar with recording game sessions or streamings. Since it looks like you do, I'd be more than happy if you want to run it. I do have a game in mind if I ever host (though ironically, I don't think it's as bad of a game as everyone else thinks it is..)

Broken Age Act I.

Difficulty was perfect for someone like me who sucks at adventure games.

Voice acting and artwork was amazing, and the story was something genuine and refreshing.

8/10 I'd give it.

(Looking forward to Act 2)

Banner Saga next methinks! :D

Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag

all my yes. After Brotherhood and Revelations being essentially AC2 expansions and then 3 being bad, I was pleasantly shocked at how much fun I had with this game. Just everything felt good with this game. The naval combat was great, the land stuff didn't overstay it's welcome, the modern day segments were short, the characters were unique and interesting. I had a blast with this game.

Now with any luck Ubisoft will keep this momentum and the next game won't suck...

Oh hi there Liberation HD. I was just... *runs*

Liberation originally came out BEFORE Black Flag, so it totally doesn't count.

Last Game I Finished would be... Lego City Undercover, which was pretty good (story-mission wise). Surprisingly funny!

Not a fan of the absolutely massive overworld though. It's taking me FOREVER to reach 100%. Jeez...

Finally finished The Cave.

And when I say 'finished' I mean FINISHED.

All achievements and everything.

Love that game! :D

Alan Wake 9.5/10

They really nail the horror tone in the game, and if you combine that with enthralling gameplay and a great storyline, that makes it even better. There's just one problem: the ending may seem nonsensical to others. It's setting itself up for a sequel, obviously, but you won't be able to understand it unless you really know whats going on and unless you get all the DLC, American Nightmare included.

I finished The Last of Us yesterday. I really liked the story and the characters and loved the super detailed environment but the gameplay was kind of not great.

Deponia 7/10

A wasn't too sure about it at the start but I really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to playing the rest of the trilogy...

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney

Jesus these games always seem to outdue themselves in quality of their finales. It's a weird thing to compliment on a game but I always seem to forget every other case and trial because of how good these finales are.

Yeah that's my review of Apollo Justice. I'm going to go download dual destinies now bye!

Disney Infinity: Pirates of the Caribbean Playset

Short version - It's gooooood.

Long version - This playset is essentially divided into two sections. There's the on-land bits, which play out like a simplified version of your standard third-person-platformer-based-on-a-movie, and then there's the sea bits, which play out like a simplified version of Assassin's Creed IV's sailing aspect. Surprisingly, both aspects are a lot of fun - at least, WAY more so than I'd have thought they'd be.

The on-land bits take the form of very basic tasks like 'go find three pieces of X' or 'go solve a fairly simple platforming puzzle', but the platforming mechanics are pretty solid (with the shimmying-along-the-edge-of-a-platform move still letting you move really quickly - BIG THUMBS UP FOR THAT) and the combat, while a tad too unfair when it comes to enemies throwing bombs, is still interesting enough to keep you going. The complete lack of any penalty for dying helps in that regard, since if you run out of health or end up in the water you just immediately respawn roughly where you were for you to carry on from where you left off.

The ocean-bound bits are basically you piloting a ship, which you can customise the look of by collecting various ship parts in the on-land sections. Moving the ship's simple - push forward to start moving, left and right turn, and hitting back stops the ship dead. But it's the COMBAT that livens things up to no end, and was something I always looked forward to. Obviously you can only fire from the sides of your ship, so having move side-on to enemy ships adds a lot of tactical manoeuvring to things, and trying to avoid taking too much damage in the process was quite tense at times. The only penalty for dying here is having the enemy ships get away from you (or restarting the mission if you happen to be on one of the four sea-based ones), but it's enjoyable nonetheless. The only major downside is the lack of a map - you REALLY could do with one on the ocean, but even that's not too hard to manage without.

All in all I spent around 9½ hours playing this one playset alone, and I was enjoying myself for the vast majority of it, managing to get Captain Jack up to Level 11 in the process (though I DID destroy a lot of crates getting there - they give you sparks, the game's version of EXP). Since this is but one of three playsets in Infinity, I've definitely gotten off to a good start and I very much look forward to playing the others.

Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons

Having heard good things about it, I bought this game during the winter Steam sale. You control both brothers at once, which I don't think ever stops being at least a little bit disorienting at times, but I still didn't have much trouble getting around. It has a very touching story (try your best to not spoil yourself if you intend to play this game), some fantastic scenery, and while the puzzles are fairly easy and straightforward, they're still often creative and enjoyable.

It took me about 3 hours to beat, which I think is just fine for this sort of game. There's some replay value, since there's some optional events and interactions that are easy to miss your first time through.

Uncharted 3

I actually played all three PS3 Uncharted games, and in close succesion to each other.

They're fantastic games. The story in each game is extremely well written, the character interactions and voice acting are superb, and the visuals are astounding.

In fact my favorite part of Uncharted 3 has to be walking through the desert. It looked like a long cutscene and yet was almost entirely playable; and I felt, as the designers intended, like I was pushing Drake to keep moving.

The big flaw in these games is the stealth. Solid Snake he is not. The game often suggests you should take people out quietly, but you can't drag dead bodies into hiding places and many enemies are positioned in ways that make it impossible not to be seen by one of them. And anyway, not much is gained by being stealthy other than keeping additional guards from spawning.

If you have a PS3 but not these games, shame on you.

Disney Infinity: Monsters University Playset

Short version - Ugh.

Long version - It's a good thing I didn't start out playing this set, because it would have left a very bad taste in my mouth. It's hard to pin-point exactly why this set doesn't work and put it into a typical review format, so instead I'm just going to bullet-point things as/when they pop into my head.

BAD

- The three sections (MU campus, Fear Tech campus and Frat Row) are all fairly small and don't take long to get round.

- The missions are, despite having different objectives, all feel very samey - go here and either attack something or walk over something.

- There's a half-baked stealth mechanic that can F**k. Right. Off.

- There's also a really uninspired and not-well-coded BMX aspect that can also F**k. Right. Off.

- There's loads of non-story-related Challenge missions, presumably in an attempt to pad out the gameplay.

- The paintball missions are the only time the playset come alive, and they're just arena-based combat sections that wear out their welcome FAST.

- The 'pranking' aspect you may have heard of boils down to firing toilet paper at a few trees, scaring a few people and setting up incredibly simple chains of launchers to fling NPCs around a bit. Oh, and taking down posters by running over their fixtures. Yay.

- The NPCs don't talk - they just make incredibly irritating noises. ALL. THE. TIME.

- The customization aspect, much like with the other playsets, is absolutely pointless outside of achievements.

- There's hidden collectables (pennants, to be exact) not even the official strategy guide lists. Which is BULLSH*T.

- I did everything I possibly could with one character in 7 hours (the Pirates one, remember, lasted 9½)

I do not recommend this playset. Unfortunately, it comes with the game. Deep joy.

I hear the Incredibles one is better. I bloody well hope so.

Risk of Rain

I wasn't sure about this one. I loved the look, and the play looked fun, but when I heard that the game just gets harder and harder over time I was a bit put off, because I thought that a game where you'd have to work to some immovable schedule would be just too stressful to enjoy. And it is stressful, but the pacing is perfect, applying just enough pressure but ramping it up gradually enough that you don't feel rushed off your feet playing it.

At first the idea of getting to the end seemed laughable, but I've now finished it twice, and it's quite a journey. Sure, it's a fairly mindless action game, but everything feels good and responds well. 9/10. Still playing.

Loadout

0/10

-1 Stars

DAY 1 Not available for download on launch day.

DAY 2 Couldn't join a match even after 15 minutes of searching.

DAY 3 Superlong patches supposedly fixed it. Didn't have time to try playing they took so long to install.

DAY 4 Matchmaking still doesn't work. Uninstalled.

Thought for the Day: It doesn't matter how fun your game is to play if no one can play it.

Tomb Raider (2013) (or Tomb Raider: Survivor as Darth Marsden calls it) - 9/10

Very very similar, gameplay-wise, to Uncharted. However, the Uncharted games have the feeling of adventure present in the National Treasure movies. This Tomb Raider game is much darker in tone, is open-world (whereas Uncharted is linear), and is heavier on the item upgrades and collectibles. (Ironically, the Uncharted series treats hidden collectibles exactly as do the older Tomb Raider games.)

I don't care if it's similar. It's a fantastic game, with superb voice-work, memorable characters, wonderful visuals, good environmental puzzles and a gripping story.

However, the combat is way too easy when set to Normal combat difficulty. I strongly suggest setting it to Hard.

I played it on Steam with a 360 controller. From what I can tell, the current-gen consoles are exactly like playing the Steam version on Normal graphics settings, whereas the PS4 version is like playing it on Ultra (eg. the PC version has a graphics setting to change Lara's hair physics).