Sign in to follow this  
Chyron

Rate the Last Game You Finished.

Lego The Lego Movie Videogame: The Game of the Film: The Game - 6/10

If this game had come out 3 or 4 years ago, it'd be a solid 8. Unfortunately, it came out 3½ months ago, and that there-in is the problem, because while it's not a bad game, it does feel like a MASSIVE step back from previous games such as Lego Marvel Super Heroes or Lego Lord of the Rings.

Instead of a great big overworld that had tons of stuff to do in it, we're given 4-5 small worlds with very little in them.

Instead of an imaginative and engaging story, we've got one constantly shackled by the movie it's based on (heck, it even includes clips from the movie, which really don't mesh well at all with the games own visuals - the Movie looks real and the Game looks... fake).

Instead of focused and enjoyable levels, we've got enclosed ones with little flow or connectivity.

Instead of a roster of enjoyable characters, you've got about a dozen you'll use and 70-odd you'll never touch.

Like I say, taken on its own merits, this game would be getting a higher score. But when compared to the other games in the series - and it's hard NOT to compare them to other ones - this just doesn't work anywhere near as well, which is a real shame.

Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse

Enjoyable, but unremarkable. It has some really nifty puzzles that I enjoyed, based on maps, encrypted messages, translated texts and stuff like that, that I wish I saw more in adventure games. And it has a quite interesting story that's told in a good pace. But much of it, and the characters, never develops as much as I would have wished.

The graphics style ended upp much better then I first thought though, and it looks really good. And I think the hint system in this game should be standard in the genre, really well done.

While I don't want to criticize Revolution too much, I kinda gave lifted Broken Age even higher, because of how much more fresh that game felt.

BS5 is good, but not great. I enjoyed it, and I would gladly buy more games from them, but next time I hope they take a bit more risks.

If I have to rate it, I would say 7/10. Very close to an eight.

Lakeview Cabin

A excellent, if short, living-in-a-cabin simulator. Some of the ways you can get yourself killed are pretty gruesome (I mulched myself with the lawnmower trying to turn it off), so I recommend against playing late at night!

Lakeview Cabin

A excellent, if short, living-in-a-cabin simulator. Some of the ways you can get yourself killed are pretty gruesome (I mulched myself with the lawnmower trying to turn it off), so I recommend against playing late at night!

I was just looking for this game today! I totally forgot the name... nice coincidence! :D

Fallout: New Vegas - Old World Blues

+ Lot's of content.

+ Great writing, really funny in many places.

- Cheap fetch quests pretty much all the time.

- Action focused all the way. Leaves very little room for you to play at your characters strength.

- Completely linear progression.

- Very cheap and annoying spawning of enemies.

- Often very dissapointing rewards for the quests.

I want to like it, but it was not to fun to actually play, and was more of a pure action game that an extension to New Vegas.

2/5

DARK SOULS II

post 1 of 2

I've talked about it a lot in the "What Are You Playing" thread, but suffice to say, it's pretty much exactly what you'd expect from Dark Souls.

First the bad.

It is very difficult, naturally. 50% of the time, it is even genuinely difficult! The other 50% of the time you're just getting f***ked over by bad geometry, bad hit boxes, lagging responsiveness, and other such clunkiness that you have to learn to overlook. This is true of both Dark Souls games, but DS2 is especially bad about the hit boxes. You're gonna get boned by nonsensically huge hitboxes at least once. Just count on it. >>Hitbox Souls<<

Dark Souls 2 also has a new problem that DS1 did not have, which is that the objectives you need to complete in order to finish the game are extremely confusing, and you receive virtually no help or explanation in the game. If you can figure out what you need to do to beat Dark Souls 2 without looking up help online, then you are a better man than I. I'm cool with a game that doesn't really hold my hand and lets me figure things out on my own, but DS2 takes cryptic objectives to a whole new level. Here's the quick and dirty walkthrough in spoiler tags.

Objective 1: Explore and kill things. You will find bosses. Kill them. However, there are 4 bosses in the game that are special in that they give out a "Great Soul" instead of just a regular soul. It is larger in size than other souls and is fiery orange instead of white/blue. You first have to find all of these four special bosses and collect their souls. That part you'll accomplish in due time by just exploring in all directions.

Objective 2: In several areas of the game, there are huge black gates that you can't open for most of the game. When you have collected at least 3 great souls or collected a total of at least 1 million souls in the course of the game, one of these special black gates will open in one area. The other ones won't open yet, though, because you need a special ring to open those. But just this one black gate will open when you have 3 great souls or surpass 1 million regular souls. Then you can enter it and advance the game. THIS IS NEVER EXPLAINED OR EVEN HINTED AT.

Objective 3: Past this one black gate is Drangleic castle. If you fight your way through it far enough, you'll find the undead king stumbling around like a giant zombie, and you'll take the king's ring from him, which will let you open all those other black gates. This part you can probably figure out, since the gates will tell you to produce the symbol of the king if you try to open them. Now you know what that is. You know that you are supposed to kill King Vendrick, but the boss fight won't initiate, and you do zero damage to him. You don't know what else to do, so you leave to check out those doors.

Objective 4: Two of the three gates you can open with the ring have a petrified/dead "giant" inside. You need to turn ethereal and dreamwalk into their dead/sleeping memories. This isn't explained to you. Even better, you can't do that unless you have a special item called the Ashen Mist Heart, which you are not told where to get. The third door you can open will eventually lead you, after much battling, to a great dragon who will give you the ashen mist heart. Bear in mind that you still don't know that you need this, and now that you have it, you don't even know what it does. But okay.

Objective 5: Now that you have the ashen mist heart, go dreamwalk into the sleeping memories of the dead giants. So now you're in their memories, and you're only allowed to be in here for a limited time. (Time limits! Yay!) What are you supposed to be doing in here? You don't know, so you just start fighting stuff. There are too many enemies to possibly fight in the time limit, though, so you'll have to run past a lot of them. This is something you'll figure out by trial and error after being inconveniently kicked out of the memory seven times and having to repeatedly watch the same cutscenes over again. When you finally reach the "end" of these memories, you'll get a "Giant's Soul". Cool. You are not told what this is good for.

Objective 6: It turns out that the reason you couldn't hurt Vendrick before is that he has a 32x defense multiplier that pretty much negates all damage. When you hit him, he just feels a gentle breeze. However, for every giant's soul you possess, you reduce his defense multiplier by one half. By completing all the memories, you can get his defense down to a mere 2x bonus, but to get a 5th soul and have him possess only regular defense, you'll need to use a bonfire ascetic on a particular bonfire in a particular area and find a secret door with an optional boss inside. Hope you found THAT sh*t out without a guide. At any rate, now you can damage him, so kill Vendrick and get his soul.

Objective 7: Now you killed King Vendrick and have his soul, so what do you do now? The game sure as hell isn't going to tell you. Go back to Drangleic castle and return to a boss chamber which you already visited and in which you already defeated the boss that was waiting there. Now there is a NEW boss in there, and this is the ACTUAL final boss.

Really great concepts, and in a way it's cool that they don't really explain it? But at the same time, maybe it's just a little TOO vague? Just maybe. >>Convoluted Souls<<

Also, fair warning: for nearly 50% of the areas in the game, everything is made of poison. If you thought poison was a problem in DS1, prepare to grit your teeth, because you are about to get poisoned a lot. >>Poison Souls<<

DARK SOULS 2

post 2 of 2

Okay, so now the GOOD stuff.

Lots of cool improvements over DS1. The humanity system in DS1 was neat, but staying human was kind of a pain, and not really worth repeatedly spending the humanity points, so most people just spent most of the game hollow and only turned human if they needed it for one reason or another (which was rarely). DS2 improves on that by adding the "effigy" system. Every time you die, your HP bar is reduced (not permanently; just a penalty to your max). To turn human again and remove the penalty (which can go as low as losing 75% of your health bar!), you need a human effigy. These items are a limited resource, which seems TERRIFYING and annoying at first, but the game is fairly generous with them. You can definitely blow through all of your effigies and completely eff yourself over, but if you're conservative with them, you can keep a good supply on you at all times. I finished the game with 32 effigies still in my inventory, so don't panic. Just be frugal with them and you'll be more than fine.

The game also adds bonfire ascetics, which replace the old "luck multiplier" you got from having a high humanity level in DS1. In DS2 you're either human or you're not. There is no "level". It's just a binary state. However, all bonfires in the game have an "intensity" level, which is synonymous with the difficulty of the area that bonfire is found in. You can burn a bonfire ascetic at the bonfire, which will raise the areas difficulty by one level for each ascetic you burn. This resets all enemies, all pickups, and SOME treasure chests in the area, and it also makes the enemies worth more souls. It's a great way to add a cool challenge to grinding/farming while removing the annoyance of the easy-to-burn-difficult-to-acquire humanity points of DS1.

DS2 also has A LOT MORE BOSSES. Some of them are mandatory and a handful of them are optional. The boss fights in general (with a few exceptions) are better designed than the DS1 fights. The boss weapons you can get from boss souls are more interesting and useful than the DS1 boss weapons, but just as with DS1, a lot of them are duds, and you might as well just take the soul reward.

DS2 also improves how the stats work. In DS1 you had to waste a lot of souls and levels raising individual stats by one point, and it wasn't entirely clear what that even did for you.

DS2 offers you more explanation of all the stats and their benefits, and upgrading one base state almost always waterfalls into a bunch of other stats, so you get more bang for your buck. Also, whereas in DS1 you could spend souls/levels unwisely and---completely ignorant of what you were doing----build your character into a hopeless corner. And do you really want to start playing the game over again from scratch when you figure that out? It's just frustrating.

But DS2 introduces yet another new item called a "soul vessel", which you can exchange with the fire keepers in the first area of the game to re-allocate all of your points at any time. You can get more than one of these. I only re-allocated one time and finished the game with 4 soul vessels still in inventory.

DS2 also adds a ton of NG+ features and content. I probably won't dig into them, but they are there aplenty for the hardcore Dark Souls enthusiasts.

I have no comment on the multiplayer aspects. They seem to have added a lot more to the multiplayer bits, but I don't care about that aspect of Dark Souls and never partake, so I'll leave that to someone else.

Dark Souls 2 has all the clunky garbage and unfair bullsh*t you'd expect out of Dark Souls (-2 points), but it's also a great adventure, and there is still nothing more satisfying than beating a Dark Souls game.

Therefore: 8/10

Lifeless Planet - 8/10

A beautifully haunting experience only slightly let down by an awkward (but understandably so) jumping system, a slightly rushed opening and it going on a FRACTION too long.

It's a tad expensive at £15/$20, so maybe wait for it to go on sale, but I promise you - it's well worth playing.

Metro: Last Light

A good sequel to the original. The level design and stealth mechanics are greatly improved.

Re: combat nitpicks

While the shooting mechanics feel significantly less clunky than the first game, there are still some issues with the encounter that involve the fast-moving mutant creatures that charge and attack like a pack of wolves. They're already hard to hit, considering they move ten times faster than you, leap all over the walls and ceiling, and can traverse great distances in a single leap---but there are two problems with them that make them a significant annoyance:

1) Hit box problems. There were numerous cases of me blasting one of these dudes in the face point black with a double barrel shotgun and (whereas this would normally insta-kill or stagger them) it had zero effect.

2) Much like a combatant with a dagger charging into close range on a combatant with a spear, the spear has the advantage at long distance, but once Mr. Dagger (i.e. mutants) gets lose enough, Mr. Spear (i.e. player) is pretty much boned unless he can backstep and put some distance in there. A lot of shooters will compensate for this with charging/leaping type enemies by having them slightly move away from the player or pause for a moment after each charge attack. But in Metro, the charging/leaping enemies just pin you against a wall, hug you tight around the waist, and repeatedly stab you until you die. Having the enemies pause between claw swipes would also be hepful, but a lot of times they just come at you like claw claw claw claw claw claw.

Actually #2 is an issue with the combat design of melee monsters in general. In even the most classical of shooters, your skill in combat is a combination of aim and movement, and mastering using those things in tandem. Being able to land a headshot while strafing away from a moving spray of machine gun fire is standard FPS gameplay. But Metro makes this weird by making the walking movement incredibly sluggish, and many of the levels have you slogging through swampy terrain, which further constrains your movement. Then you have the combat style of the monsters (as described in [2] above), and what this ultimately means is that movement is no longer sufficient.

The result is that there are numerous encounters with melee-fighting monsters in the game where the strategy primarily involves just standing there and letting them beat the sh*t out of you until it's time to deploy a medkit, then keep standing there and getting hit until it's time to deploy the next one. You CAN move, but it has nothing to offer against these enemies.

Another problem is the flying "demon" enemies, which appear again in this game. I don't remember if this happened in the first Metro, but in this one there are several locations where a demon flies in a circle above the area and stalks you. Occasionally it will swoop down and hit you or---in some cases---pick you up, carry you to an earlier part of the area, and drop you for fall damage. That's all fine. But what makes it weird is that sometimes these demons can be shot and sometimes they can't. Sometimes you can shoot them and they will flee or die after a certain amount of damage. But sometimes there is a scripted event and some other situation where the demon is "needed" further along in the level, and so no matter how much you shoot the demon, it will simply not die or else it will insta-recover. I'm gonna go ahead and call that poorly thought out. That is obviously confusing and should not have been a thing.

Re: light/dark & breathable/non-breathable rules

And finally, one issue that carries over from the previous metro is confusing distinction between the difference between dark/light and the different between breathable/non-breathable air. MLL provides you with a little visibility-sensor on your watch to tell you if you are visible to enemies or not, and if you are visible and there is a threat nearby, the soundtrack will issue forth a dramatic swell of strings. It's very effective at warning you when you're visible. But if it were NOT for these two things, you would be very confused, because some of the levels that have extreme mixtures of light and dark just make no sense. Sometimes you are in absolute shadow and your meter reads visible. Sometimes you are standing in the middle of a room where all four walls are engulfed in flame and somehow you read as not visible? (Note: The meter is a light meter, not a line-of-sight meter, so this does not make any sense.) So use the lights/shadows you see as "guidelines", but don't stop watching your meter, because sometimes the light/shadow is a lie.

The breathable/non-breathable distinction isn't a huge problem. If you walk into a non-breathable area, you will start gasping and gagging, and that means you have about ten seconds to put your mask on or you'll start to die in a hurry. What's frustrating is that gas masks use filters, and it's possible to run out of filters, and filters can only be found---not purchased. Sometimes you'll be romping around the surface in your gas mask and then all of a sudden, you run into some rangers who aren't wearing masks? So you take your mask off and the air is breathable? But then you walk a little further and start choking again? Not a big deal, but it's a little irritating to discover you've been burning up a resource (i.e. filters) for no reason because the boundaries between breathable/non-breathable can be pretty vague.

re: overall gameplay

But overall the shooting DOES feel a lot better, and the stealth is SUPER improved. I remember stealth being an absolute pain in the first game, because there wasn't enough feedback and it was difficult to understand how enemies would behave. But in this game using stealth is just as simple as a good AAA stealth game, and I was happy to use stealth for most of the game. The only complaint I could really hold against it is that it uses a checkpoint system that is sometimes not very friendly (e.g. if you eff up the stealth and want a redo, you will sometimes be looking at a LARGE redo). But the only reason I feel like that could be a complaint is because of playing games like Mark Of The Ninja, where the checkpointing is super generous to solve a classic stealth problem. This checkpoint problem is really just the same problem that 99.9% of stealth games have, so it's hard to hold that against it.

Re: random thoughts

Weirdly, there is an inventory slot for night-vision goggles, but I don't think I ever found or used a pair of night vision goggles in the entire game? This perplexes me.

MLL gets huge points for letting the player spend a lot more time on the surface in this installment (although I was not a fan of the new armored amphibian enemies).

The story was pretty good, but the ending was super cliche.

In the current game climate with huge interest in feminist ideals, it is really weird to play a game with not just full frontal nudity , lap dances, and gratuitous sex, but also NIP SLIPS (?!). Like you can just look down an NPCs shirt and see her nipple. Just because. Whatever. And it's not even ashamed of it for a second. It's just like, yeah, of course you can see her nipple. That is what a woman's shirt contains. Why would I lie about anatomical features?

The biggest draw of Metro, though, is as always the atmosphere. I think the first game might have been slightly stronger on atmosphere, but MLL does not disappoint.

Arbitrary numerical rating: 8/10

Far Cry 3.

Gameplay - 3/5. Often really fun, most time let down by an awful save system.

Story: 0/5. This was so dumb that I'm not going to give it any point at all. Just go away you stupid game. Every Van Damme action movie ever makes more sense that you.

Attack of the Friday Monsters

It's... Ok... but that's it really.

A good enough distraction for an afternoon, but there isn't a whole lot of depth in storytelling or gameplay.

6/10

Deus Ex: The Fall

This was a tricky game to score. I wasn't sure what to give it. I mean, it's not GOOD, but I've played through it three times now (New Game+ for the win!), and I don't tend to do that with games I don't enjoy on some level, so...

OK. Let's summarise. The combat's not very good, with the aiming (and the 'recoil' in particular) being pretty bad. The graphics are pathetic, the plot's a mess, the hacking minigame is heavily reliant on pure blind luck, the voice acting's shakey - at best - and the levels are small and uninteresting. Oh, and it's NOT FINISHED, ending on a cliffhanger after Chapter One.

Buuuuuuut... the stealth, while not brilliant, is at least kinda fun, the...

...uh...

...balls, that's about it really.

Ah, screw it. 4/10, mobile version probably scores a bit higher.

You know the worst of it? It's been judged as the best touchphone/-pad shooter by several game reviewers - so the other shooters for touchscreen devices must be pretty crappy.

Goodbye Deponia 6.5/10

A pretty enjoyable end to the Deponia enjoyable with some good laughs, nice conclusion and some enjoyable puzzles

Not as good as Chaos but I enjoyed it

I actually thought Chaos was the worst of the series and had pretty much given up on the trilogy until people started saying the last game was very good. I'm not a huge fan of the series as a whole but I think several of the puzzles are top notch, so I did really enjoy it overall.

Mario Kart 8 -9/10

First off, I guess you could say I have not fully completed Mario Kart 8, I've got 10 of the 14 unlockable characters, a fair amount of kart parts unlocked and I'm about half way through the 100cc cups. But I have played enough to give my thoughts on it so far.

So might as well start off on a positive note, Mario Kart 8 is likely the best MK game out so far. It has brilliant HD graphics, brings a new fun entertaining mechanic to the table, the online is probably one of the funnest online games on Wii U so far, It brings back some of my favourite characters not counting the main Mario crew.

I love playing as Rosalina,Wendy,and some of the other koopalings. Luigi,Mario, and Yoshi are other personal favourites (That Luigi Death Stare o.O) although if I did have to pick a favourite out of the entire cast it would tie down to Rosalina and Luigi. There's also the new refined controls for the game which feel much smoother on the gamepad than it did on the Wii. It's more easier to learn how to powerslide and the new trick mechanics when jumping up ramps is great as well.

Another new and brilliant feature is Mario Kart TV which allows for editing and watching recent matches and seeing the highlights of said matches. It also allows for uploading those highlight reels to Miiverse and Youtube if you link a Google account up to MK8.

But then we get into the negative and apart from small little things here and there, there is one massive downside to the game which really gets annoying and It easily seen in Online although it also happens when against the computer. I believe items are just too powerful here. Blue shells may not be as much as a problem but a new item has taken that spot in the form of Red shells. They come back in full swing here and It gets extremely annoying when you are doing good until you see that red shell icon coming from the bottom of the screen and if you don't have a item to counter it and counter it fast then you better kiss first place goodbye and hope you recover before you get too far behind.

But Red Shells and other items also cause a massive problem in the map layouts. On certain maps, even when you have first place or even third place, one red shell or one other item could mean being put back to eighth or ninth place and nothing feels more annoying that to have this happen on Lap 3, especially if you managed to hold a good lead throughout the race. If it gave enough time to allow one or two people to get past you fast then it wouldn't be as bad but for something, especially a homing shell which means there is almost no chance of escape causes me to lose.

It really gets annoying especially since this is a common thing in matches. There's also the fact that red shells can knock you out of paragliding mode meaning if you are paragliding over a bottomless pit, more time is wasted because you get the recovery time of the shell plus falling into the pit plus the recovery time of being put back onto the course.

I'm also not a big fan of the new coin system, It would be fine if it was just coins on the track which you pick up but coins in item boxes feel useless since you only get one coin and It also gets annoying when you get in 1st or 2nd place where it seems like you keep getting either coins or bananas.

There's also some maps that feel like a pain to play. The new Rainbow Road springs to mind as It is filled with bottomless pits and makes trying to powerslide a complete chore because It punishes players for even attempting it usually because You'll end up in a bottomless pit. Some other maps share this trait but Rainbow Road shows this annoying trait the best.

A small nitpick is the online voting system which has been degraded since MK Wii where instead of being able to vote for any track, you instead get 3 pre-selected tracks to vote for or you can vote random which will pick a random track if selected.

Overall, Mario Kart 8 is truly one of the Wii U's best games, It is extremely fun with friends or with random people online, the new features blend into Mario Kart extremely well, the new character selection is brilliant and there is just a bunch of other things that make this a excellent game and the best MK game so far.

Perils of Man: Chapter One: It's extremely short and it's let down a bit by the overacting of Ana's mother's voice actress, but everything else makes up for it. It has some of the best puzzles I've played in an adventure game since the 90's. 4 out of 5

I have decided to do my monster reviews for October for my blog again this year. I'm going to try to do one a day, but I'm not going to hold myself to that. At the very least, I'll make sure I do more reviews this year than I did when I last did the Monster Reviews in 2012.

Day 1 (Ghosts) Ben Jordan: Horror at Number 50: I love the Ben Jordan series, and this one improves upon its predecessors by having Ben work with other paranormal investigators. It is the best Ben Jordan case I've played so far. 4½ out of 5

Day 2 (Mutant Tentacles) Day of the Tentacle: It's one of my favorite adventure games. I replay it at least once a year. This was the game that showed me that sequels could deviate significantly from the source material and still be excellent. 4½ out of 5

Day 3 (Demon Zombie and Skeletons) The Curse of Monkey Island: It's another game that I replay often, and another example of a game that differs in tone and art style from its predecessors but still is a great game. 4½ out of 5

Day 4 (Zombies) Ben Jordan: Land of the Rising Dead: The Ben Jordan games just keep getting better as they go on. The plot of this one was great, with so many twists and turns and an excellent ending. 4½ out of 5

Day 5 (Sasquatches) Sam & Max Hit the Road: Still a blast to play today. It's probably my second or third favorite Sam & Max game, and is another one of the LucasArts games I replay often. 4½ out of 5

Day 6 (Zombies) The Walking Dead: No Time Left: The Walking Dead: Season One is my favorite (along with The Wolf Among Us) of Telltale's cinematic story games. This is where they abandoned their simple inventory puzzles and action scenes with direct player interaction, but the choice based branching of how the characters react to you and especially the story and fantastic voice acting make up for it. 4 out of 5

Day 7 (Trolls) The Book of Unwritten Tales 2: Chapter One: This chapter is absolutely fantastic. It's too early to tell of course, but if the quality keeps up, this could potentially end up being one of my all time favorite adventure games. 4½ out of 5

Day 8 (Zombies) The Walking Dead: 400 Days. I did like it, but it wasn't the best episode of the series. The choice based gameplay doesn't work well when you aren't given enough time to see how the characters respond to your choices. 3½ out of 5

Day 9 (Zombies) Stacking: The Lost Hobo King: I really enjoyed Stacking, and the downloadable content is just as charming as the main game. The only drawback is that it's quite short, but that's not a big deal as the price is right for what you get (especially on computer platforms, where it's bundled with the main game). 4 out of 5

Day 10 (Ghost Demon Zombie) Escape from Monkey Island: I recently played through this on ResidualVM, and have been dreading reviewing it. I actually like the game, but I'm a very patient person, so I have to be critical when reviewing it. The story's actually objectively interesting, and I like the puzzles, voice work, and music, but the character art drags the score down, and the Monkey Kombat drags it down even more. 3 out of 5

Wow, I can't believe I'm keeping up with this. This is the longest reviewing streak I've ever been on.

Day 11 (Werewolves, trolls) The Wolf Among Us: Faith: It continues on with the modern Telltale tradition of choice based gameplay and quick time events, but unlike 400 Days, it manages to use this formula well. The option to choose between locations gives it a feeling of urgency, and the consequences of the choices are handled well. 4½ out of 5

Thought about if I had actually finished any game recently, and I remembered that I had.

Spelunky - 10/10

And that's a 10 with a sugar on top, a goldstar sticker, or maybe it evens goes to eleven?

I've played it since it it hit the PC in august last year, but it was august this year that I actually beat the final boss. I played the original free version about 400-500 times before I beat it the first time, but this updated version "only" took about 180 attempts.

Spelunky is without any doubt the most brilliantly designed game I have played. Absolutely everything in it makes sense and fits. It's just an awesome combination of challenge, replaybility, enemy patterns, secrets and highscore hunts. The one thing I can criticize it for is that it doesn't contain the music from the free original, but other then that it's perfect.

A pure classic, simple as that.

Thought about if I had actually finished any game recently, and I remembered that I had.

Spelunky - 10/10

And that's a 10 with a sugar on top, a goldstar sticker, or maybe it evens goes to eleven?

I've played it since it it hit the PC in august last year, but it was august this year that I actually beat the final boss. I played the original free version about 400-500 times before I beat it the first time, but this updated version "only" took about 180 attempts.

Spelunky is without any doubt the most brilliantly designed game I have played. Absolutely everything in it makes sense and fits. It's just an awesome combination of challenge, replaybility, enemy patterns, secrets and highscore hunts. The one thing I can criticize it for is that it doesn't contain the music from the free original, but other then that it's perfect.

I didn't like it at all. Contains too many of my pet peeves (especially timed and permadeath). o_O

It's weird how very widely opinions can differ.

Spelunky - 10/10

I didn't like it at all. Contains too many of my pet peeves (especially timed and permadeath). o_O

It's weird how very widely opinions can differ.

I think both those factors fit the game's design and concept perfectly. If you remove them, you would have to change most of the core of the game.

No game should be for everyone, but I would argue that the game objectively is pretty brilliantly designed, in how all the systems in the game works so perfectly with each other. How entertained one is of them is of course subjective and open for discussion. :)

Shadow of Mordor. I enjoyed it a lot and I'm still playing here and there to mop up some of the extra quests and play some more with the Nemesis system. Certainly my favourite AAA this year, without a doubt. But I constantly get the sense that it's version 1 of something that will be done in much more interesting ways, by other teams. Still, 8.5/10

snip

On the subject of Ben Jordan, I really liked the change of space within the house in Horror at Number 50, and in Land of the Rising Dead, I thought the use of fugu fish was really clever.

I finished two games in quick succession so I will rate both.

Wolfenstein: The New Order - 9/10. Fantastic game. Great mix of stealth and shooting, incredible story.

Destiny - 6/10. Borderlands with an incomprehensible storyline, boring leveling, and uninteresting classes.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - 9/10

What can I say? All of the Prime games are good great fantastic. The Wii controls took some getting used to after having played Prime 1 and 2 twice each before on GameCube.

Pros -

- The voice acting is solid.

- The other characters are interesting.

- The controls are good, except for the bits that require you to wag the Wii Remote this way or that (which become easier with practice but are fiddly.) Actually, after having played Prime 3 all the way through, I find that I actually prefer the Wii controls' (optional) ability to lock the camera while keeping the target reticle free to aim.

- The Gunship takes a more active role. I was kind of sad watching

Ghor

beat up on it and throw it around.

- The typical Metroidvania style of exploration is well-done, and doesn't make backtracking feel much like a chore.

- Good bosses/boss battles. Mogenar is a pain, but if you can't stand a potentially long boss battle then why do you play action-adventure games?

- Great balance of story to gameplay. More story is conveyed through dialogue this time, though much of what is going on is still relegated to reading Lore. This means the game is not story-heavy, and primarily gives you as little or as much background story as you want.

- Checkpoints. If you die at a boss, likely you will continue from the room right before you encountered it.

Cons -

- Not many motion controls, but when there are, they are fiddly.

- SkyTown's inside areas look too similar to each other, and can make it easy to get turned around or lost.

- The 3D map isn't very intuitive in helping you get from A to B.

- Normal difficulty is too easy.

- No self-destruct race against time after the final boss.

Ratchet: Gladiator - 6/10

God this one got old fast. It's just combat. Nothing but combat, over and over again. So very repetitive.

Unfortunately the plot is much darker than most other games in the series, meaning there's way less light-hearted elements to the game. There's very few jokes, there's no imaginative weapons, there's very few cutscenes to break up the action (unless you count the one's 'explaining' what the goal of each mission is) and the levels are pretty basic.

It's effectively 'Ratchet & Clank does The Running Man', but nowhere near as awesome as that sounds. Real shame.

Super Smash Bros 3DS: 7.5/10

Finished this game in a little over a week, I'm actually done with this game, besides local play with friends. all challenges completed, all 685 trophies

The good:

-character balancing, heavy characters like Ganondorf and Ike aren't useless this time around. all characters got nerfs and buffs I can't complain about

-removed edgehogging, so you can't camp the edge when you launched someone, no infinite invincibility either when edgehogging. you really have to go out there to spike or meteor smash the opponent

-all characters have better recovery

-faster gameplay, not as good as Melee but better than Brawl

-all characters have better recovery

-mii's are cool

The bad:

-launch box is larger, making It more difficult to score a KO

-too many clones, too many Fire Emblem characters

-too many characters have a counter move

-Sakurai is biased towards Kid Icarus Uprising, Kid Icarus and Fire emblem, too many trophies of those

-More fan service and entries of more recent series instead of cool obscure Nintendo games

-Horrible soundtrack and voices, it's a recent trend in a lot of Nintendo games

-Too many stages have stage hazards, overall bad stage selection of older stages

-menu is a difficult to browse, like SSBB and KI:U

-Classic and All Star game mods are too easy

-Challenges are a grind (beat X or Y mode with all characters)

-Smash run is no fun

-equipment and custom moves take too much time to collect

-online:

-For Glory mode only has Final Destination/ Omega stages, could've at least added Yoshi's Island and battlefield

-because of this lack stags in For Glory mode, gameplay is unbalanced and biased towards ground characters

-tons of lag

-No smash run online

-spectator mode, you can bet on the outcome, yet you often see the exact same match again, with different outcome,

Still at it (and even managed to do reviews on my iPad while I was on the road):

Day 12 (Aliens) Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders: I like the game, but it doesn't stand the test of time well. Mazes that can only be completed by chance and the ability to lose all of your money making you stuck in the game make the game not as fun as it should be. It's a shame as the puzzles are great and the ability to become animals is unique and fun. 3 out of 5

Day 13 (Cthulthu like creature, demon) Sam & Max: The City That Dares Not Sleep: An excellent end to the season, and possibly the series. If it ends here, it's fine by me, as it ended on a high note. Great puzzles, great voice acting and music, and awesome story. It was actually really emotionally touching, which was something I never expected from Sam & Max but appreciated a lot. 4½ out of 5

Day 14 (Werewolf and trolls) The Wolf Among Us: Smoke and Mirrors: I really liked this. It continued the excellent pace of the first episode. I would have liked to see more of the mundies, but the twist of the rest of the story of the episode made up for it. 4½ out of 5