Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bidiot Bales

What's your religion and why?

I want to emphasis that this is not a place to push your religion onto others, no-one likes that. :)

I'm a Christian.

The reason why is that from 4 or so years of religious exploration, this religion makes the most sense and has the most evidence to support it imo. I won't go into details now though. It's nice to have something to base your life around and science didn't really cut it for me, with the whole evolution and the big bang stuff. I found it interesting when I went to a teen christian event, there was something in their eyes which was different. Like a little sparkle that other people don't have. It's hard to explain. I know it sounds wacko but so does every religion I suppose.

So what's your religion? No flaming or pushing beliefs, I'm just curious.

I'm also a Christian. I would say it's my faith, not merely my religion. Because religion connotes the following of rules, and I believe that my faith is more about having a relationship with my Father.

I've been through too many things that would otherwise be inexplicable to think that He doesn't exist or care about me.

I'm an Atheist because I've never felt I needed a religion to explain the universe or to get some moral code from

Religion just isn't really a thing for me

I'm an atheist.

And it's funny because, even though my parents are atheists too, they never actually raised me as an atheist. They've let me make my own decisions in that regard. I had plenty of chances to take on some form of religion or faith, and being raised in a predominantly Orthodox Christian country, we had a religion class in school, but at no point I chose to believe, because I really didn't see a reason to.

My religion? I don't have one.

Why? Why should I?

I'm not an atheist either, because living in one of the least religious/most secular countries in the world I don't really feel the need to be one.

My theological position would be that of theological noncognitivism.

I was brought up as a baptist, but now I'm an atheist. Too much crap has gone down in my life for their to be an all-caring god who has my best interests at heart. Religion can be a good thing, I think. The sense of community was something I missed (until I recently joined the LGBT society at my university). Just so long as they keep themselves to themselves and don't get all preachy. Nothing can convince me to go back to religion.

@Staker: You don't feel the need to not believe in a deity? Atheist is just something you are if you're not theist. Theist = believe in a god/deity.

I was brought up in a very christian household (pentecostal, actually), but christianity seemed more and more implausible and unsatisfying to me as I grew older and wiser.

These days I am 100% atheist, but that's to say I don't have a "spiritual" side (though I don't believe in spirits). My spiritualness is more along the lines of wonder and respect for nature and the interconnectedness of things. Something of a Buddhist slant in its philosophy, but strictly secular.

No gods, though.

@Staker: You don't feel the need to not believe in a deity?

Exactly. I have no reason for non-belief. That's kind of what non-cognitivism is about. Instead of siding with one or the other side of the argument I hold the argument to be meaningless.

@Staker: You don't feel the need to not believe in a deity?

Exactly. I have no reason for non-belief. That's kind of what non-cognitivism is about. Instead of siding with one or the other side of the argument I hold the argument to be meaningless.

Well you can't really avoid having a belief position on a concept (unless perhaps you've never heard of it, which is not true in this case).

It sounds like what you're actually saying in the long run is that you abstain from a discussion you find pointless. You may or may not have a position on it, but you don't care, because the discussion is pointless.

Well you can't really avoid having a belief position on a concept.

Watch me. :P

I'm not abstaining from the discussion because it's pointless, I just don't think the ideas are cognitively meaningful.

My religion is that I don't know how the universe was created and I don't particularly care. I have a hard time believing organized religions are anything but fairy tales.

Here's a nice comedy video for atheists/non-believers of various sorts:

I get that. I was born Catholic, but since I've entered some sort of agnostic atheism.

To put it bluntly, the idea of god doesn't make sense to me, but it's unprovable either way so I've decided that until there's enough evidence one way or another, I'm just going to not care. And if there is a god, I doubt that any religion has got it 'right' anyways. I don't particularly have a problem with people believing in god, except that an astounding number of those same people refuse to believe in things we have much more evidence for, which is troubling to me. That and, in Islam and Christianity particularly, there is a frightening amount of self-righteous hatred towards groups that cannot defend themselves from it, which I, frankly don't understand (I think my break with Catholicism really happened when Pope Benedict XVI criticized Girl Scouts of America for allowing gay and trans youths into the Girl Scouts and criticized the holy sisters for assisting women with contraception. I've recovered a bit with Pope Francis I, who seems to be a reasonable person, but the fact that the Vatican keeps hushing up everything he does is discouraging.).

I guess at the bottom of it all, I feel religion was kinda training wheels for morality, but has largely lost its way to extremism in the modern era.

I was raised Protestant, but I don't really know what I believe. I switched back and forth between believing and not believing in a god or deity like a half dozen times the last two days and when I woke up today I still wasn't sure what I believe. I got a book about the Hare Krsna movement a while back and I kind of started to believe in that until I got to the second book.

I'm not sure if I don't think about religion enough or if I think about it too much.

I think about it too much. Then I end up sinking into nihilism, which is probably more accurate than what I said before.

I'm a Muslim simply because that's what I grew up with. That comes from my mom, primarily. I do and not do some of the things I'm supposed to do or not do, but mostly I don't really care. The not really caring part I also grew up with. It wasn't a really big deal in the family, but we had the more community-centric parts present like festivals

There is no reason to be religious. The theories don't make sense and when i'm interested in stories there do exist more interesting ones, i'm not paedophiliac either, i prefer a different kind of music, i also don't get high this way, i'm not looking for broader and easy excuses in order to treat dissenting people badly or even kill them, i feel special enough already considering the effort it took the universe to create the elements i consist of, ...

Religions introduced more bad than good stuff, therefore it would be nice if people could get rid of them and deal with the real problems instead. Since the beginning they're utalised for manipulation and doing awful things. A stronger string to reality, being more open minded and educated and this planet might be a better place, but there also would be more people. And the world is full of idiots, so you would have to fix a lot more than just that but it would be a nice start nonetheless.

When you're travelling around the world through different cultures you can get an understanding of how weird humans really can be, especially in this respect.

I am a Maltheist!

It means I believe that gods, being immortal entities that probably seek to feast on our tasty souls, are either innately untrustworthy or too alien to provide applicable ethical guidance to us mortal beings.

Christian, but I've grown to really dislike organized religion (like all man-made organizations, they tend to go haywire sooner or later). I try to follow the rules* set forth in the Sermon on the Mount, and that's hard enough as it is.

* Maybe "rules" is the wrong word, they're just a way of life that's just very sensible

I was raised hardcore fundamentalist, but I fell out of it at some point over the course of my life. I think fear kept me tied to it more than anything as long as I was.

aJw.jpg

I don't know what I believe anymore, honestly. I do care, but more out of stark, raving, drooling fear than anything else.

I like the ideas of morality and peace because I believe they can make the human race healthier, happier, and stronger. But I can't change people, so I just work on myself, and that remains a full time job. I keep hoping that as a result of bettering myself, I'll be able to make the people around me happier, or also by telling dirty jokes.

My whole life, fear has been my religion. I'm extremely disgruntled by religious people and churches. I think they're all fake and I think most of the people who go are fake. I've got no time for that nonsense.

I am a Maltheist!

It means I believe that gods, being immortal entities that probably seek to feast on our tasty souls, are either innately untrustworthy or too alien to provide applicable ethical guidance to us mortal beings.

For Greek gods, humans were something like the equivalent of TV. Since they were immortal, they were also incredibly bored all the time, and so often looked for a favourite to play with for a while, much like someone would choose a sports team to root for.

I am a Maltheist!

For Greek gods, humans were something like the equivalent of TV. Since they were immortal, they were also incredibly bored all the time, and so often looked for a favourite to play with for a while, much like someone would choose a sports team to root for.

To me, this seems more likely than a single god who cares about everyone simultaneously, especially sports teams. I always think it's funny when an athlete thanks god for letting them win. I'm pretty sure that if there is a god, the winner of a football game is probably not so important to him.

I dunno. Maybe god has a TV up there and is a really passionate sports fan.

I guess the reason he let the Communists win so many Olympic medals despite being atheists was that he's got a sense of humor.

I've sorta become an atheistic heathen I guess. I really like the symbolism and feel of rituals and mythos but don't believe in a literal Thor or Valhalla. I use stories as a sort of vehicle for grounding and bettering myself.

Pros of heathenism: lots of reasons to celebrate throughout the year, Yule is way longer than Christmas, and a general push to make the most of your mortal life.

Cons: attracts a lot of racist buttholes

I was brought up Catholic, but now I guess I would at best be pigeon-holed as a Secular Humanist.

As to why, being an outsider from junior high on contributed to my more independent thinking, but blame my freshman Philosophy professor (who happen to be a Catholic priest) for nailing the coffin shut.

@Staker: You don't feel the need to not believe in a deity? Atheist is just something you are if you're not theist. Theist = believe in a god/deity.

Well, not necessarily true. Agnosticism is a thing, which is what I am.

My personal position is that it doesn't matter if there is a god or not, good things are good in themselves. If there is a god, we can only hope he/she/it rewards good actions, if he doesn't we are screwed. Either way, we need to find a way to make a positive impact on the world that ultimately doesn't depend on a deity's will.

(Reading the above post... I would probably be a "MOSTLY secular humanist")

Sign in to follow this