Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bad Asp

The Really Big Sam and Max Thread!

Well, it WILL be really big if a lot of people post here...

samandmaxscreenshot.jpg

Anyway, this is a thread about our favorite dog and bunny... and possibly just that. Let's talk about it, shall we?

It is really hard to pick a favourite episode but overall I'd have to choose Chariot of the Dogs...

I just loved the Time Travel, T.H.E.M and it had some of the best puzzles to work out...

@Bad Asp: Would you mind posting Sam & Max Abridged? I know there are some mixed opinions about the project, but I thought it was good fun.

All right! Thanks. That's only the first season you ended up doing, right?

S&M is amazing! (Hm, that came out wrong... but you know what i mean)

Isn't there coming out a new season of games soon? Or was that just a wonderful dream?

Can't have a Sam & Max thread without some music.

YJrYs6pPYtw

kvHORXS5Xms

I own physical copies of both soundtracks. It sucks that we never got one for the third season.

Cheeseness has been talking about trying to get Jared Emerson-Johnson to join one of the game club sessions. That would be very cool. He's worked on stuff for Double Fine in the past as well, but I don't remember if it was just recording voice acting or if it was scoring as well.

I could look it up, but my mobile browser has developed a nasty habit of reloading pages when I switch between tabs, so I'd lose everything I've written.

I own physical copies of both soundtracks. It sucks that we never got one for the third season.

Cheeseness has been talking about trying to get Jared Emerson-Johnson to join one of the game club sessions. That would be very cool. He's worked on stuff for Double Fine in the past as well, but I don't remember if it was just recording voice acting or if it was scoring as well.

I could look it up, but my mobile browser has developed a nasty habit of reloading pages when I switch between tabs, so I'd lose everything I've written.

He did the score for Happy Action Theater.

Finally, an interview with someone who's voiced Sam on Samandmax.co.uk! This one is with Harvey Atkin from the cartoon series!

http://samandmax.co.uk/2013/11/interview-with-harvey-atkin/

samcartoon_news.pngharveyatkin-213x300.jpg

I'm just posting it here because it's unlikely you'll see it on the Telltale message board... you know, because Telltale wants Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us to get too much focus.

I'm hoping there's more to come!

To be honest, I...don't like the Telltale games. I tried. I bought all the ones that were avilable to me, but I just...don't like it. It's a mix of things. Sam & Max Hit The Road made a HELL of an impact on 9 year-old me and that led me to get the complete comics, which also were a joy and incredibly well-written. The cartoon was fun as well.

But the telltale games...I dunno. They feel like they miss the mark for me so much. Part of it has to do with the weird cartoony style Telltale is known for (hate it), as well as the almost disjointed writing and my hatred for episodic games. And the voice acting is....I guess it's okay.

It all just seemed terribly mediocre to me and I felt pretty let down.

TOTALLY get how people would love the hell out of them though. Opinions are my own.

*grumbles and goes back to her comics and kid-free lawn*

sammax-full.jpg

I guess with the rerelease of Sam and Max Hit the Road, along with some other games getting "remastered" or "special editions", I think it's time to bump this thread back up.

So... think the Freelance Police are going to be famous in 2015?

I grew up on the cartoon series, before Telltale started making their games, and before finding out about the comic or the classic games.

(Let me tell you, between that cartoon and Bucky O' Hare, I had one heck of a boosted vocabulary as a kid)

Naturally, I eventually did get a graphic novel, play through the classic game(s), and about half of the Telltale ones... although I don't quite remember which order any of THAT came in.

I like the Telltale games versions of Sam&Max;.

If not for anything else, then for that we would only have had one single Sam&Max; game. :)

Season 1 & 2 were a bit hit&miss;, and there were a lot of character design in the three seasons that I didn't like it. But they all had their moments still. Some really good dialogues, some really funny jokes and themes, and some great music numbers.

And I really did like The Devil's Playhouse. It was actually great, and from time to time I find myself actually thinking that I enjoyed it more then Hit the Road. They did a great thing with the overall story arch, and the theme of each episode.

Sign in to follow this