Double Fine Action Forums

Anyone playing since the update? I know Bookdust has been, but he's not here. Anyone else? Let's share some screens of our work/adventures and maybe coordinate some co-op.

I booted it up to see if the update installed. Apparently, it did while I had Steam minimized at some point. If you get in touch with Bookdust, he might be willing to do some multi with you, Anemone. I know it's kind of a pain on the PC version though.

I booted it up to see if the update installed. Apparently, it did while I had Steam minimized at some point. If you get in touch with Bookdust, he might be willing to do some multi with you, Anemone. I know it's kind of a pain on the PC version though.

From what I understand, they made it a lot more functional and a lot less fiddly with the update. Even before the update, all you really had to do was forward port 7777 to your PC from your router, usually.

When I chatted with Bookdust on Steam the other day I got the impression that he more or less stopped playing video games for the time being.

Here's a tip: If you're playing Softcore, (the mode that makes death insanely less frustrating and irritating) build a house outside the dungeon and grind tons of Ectoplasm in Hard Mode.

The enemies there are cheap and overpowered as fuck and can kill you in a few hits, but if you can get a full set of Spectre armor and a Magnet Sphere, you're basically invulnerable.

On the other hand, if you're playing Hardcore, stay the fuck away. I'm not sure how much better Hallowed is compared to a full set of Adamantium, but those Bone Lees and Necromancers can seriously kick your ass.

I won't be going near the dungeons anytime soon. When I booted up and saw that it was officially version 1.2, I deleted both of my old characters and all six of my old maps. I sank MONTHS of my life into those maps, so it hurt a little.

But damn, starting fresh with all the new updates feels so good. Plus, now I know a lot of things I didn't know before, so I won't waste my time doing a lot of unnecessary terraforming and sh*t.

My castle was so huge. *sniffle* *tear*

Should have taken a screenshot before deleting. =(

But now I can make a new one! A better one! Yeeeeaaaaaahhhh!

#Minecraftftw

Nope.

ERMERGERD yr suchj a loser wtf you suck minecraft is best terralia is a rip of minecarft you suck go back to cod loser.

So if you grind enough in the dungeon, you might actually get the Kingdom Key from Kingdom Hearts, which is one of the rarest items in the entire game. I just sort of saw it lying on the ground as I was grinding for ectoplasm for a full set of Spectre armor.

Also apparently the developers have their own personal Wings now, including Redigit, who can fly forever, and all the Wings actually have unique sprites, but apparently cheating them in and using them gives you, like, a dozen debuffs. So don't try to do that.

So if you grind enough in the dungeon, you might actually get the Kingdom Key from Kingdom Hearts, which is one of the rarest items in the entire game. I just sort of saw it lying on the ground as I was grinding for ectoplasm for a full set of Spectre armor.

Oh! Sweet! I hope they don't get sued! xD

Man, the way they tweaked the power of a lot of things is really messing with my head. Just fought Eye of Cthulhu with my freshly rolled character. Maybe I just haven't played the game in a long time, but that mofo seems to absorb a lot more damage than before.

One thing I still wish they would add is an in-game cookbook for item crafting. One of the more annoying aspects of Terraria is that you can't just look up an item you want to craft in a list and check to see if you have the ingredients. Instead it's ass backwards: you just fill your inventory with a bunch of random sh!t, walk up to a crafting station and see what happens.

They should make that part suck less. The addition of the new at-a-glance menu in the crafting stations rather than the old scrolling menus is a huge help, and I appreciate that they did it, but it doesn't solve the most glaring problem, IMO.

Also, I seem to recall that in the old version you could give an item to the guide and he would tell you every item in the game you could make with it. Does he not do that anymore?

Man, the way they tweaked the power of a lot of things is really messing with my head. Just fought Eye of Cthulhu with my freshly rolled character. Maybe I just haven't played the game in a long time, but that mofo seems to absorb a lot more damage than before.

Well they made them easier when they did that horrible potion-sickness patch. I think the Eye and Eater have gotten easier again with this patch.

Bad thing is: The Hard Mode bosses now spawn on you automatically too. I had the upgraded Skeletron spawn. That guy kills you faster than you can imagine if you aren't prepared.

Yeah... I have a love/hate relationship with Hard Mode. It's a pretty awesome feature ONCE YOU KNOW ABOUT IT.

But the first time I played the game, I put a TON of work into building an incredibly large and elaborate castle for myself. Rather than having my NPCs live in separate houses around the world, they all just lived in different rooms in my gigantic skyscraper. I also put a lot of work into terraforming the area outside of my castle and gardening it the way that I liked. I had a basement full of treasure chests, all of them sorted into groups by the category of treasure they contained. I created it all manually, in-game, without cheating by using TEdit.

And then I defeated the Wall of Flesh and there was seemingly NOTHING I could do that would stop the newly empowered and impossibly unstoppable rate of corruption spread. There was no doubt about it. This whole world was going to be converted to a huge corruption zone eventually, including all my hard work. And there was nothing I could do to stop it. (Imagine trying to use a hellavator full of corruption thorns.)

Thank god for TEdit, which allows you to edit a map and turn Hard Mode off again, because if not for that I kinda felt like Terraria's surprise reveal of Hard Mode was a huge f*** in the a**.

Now I know to never trigger hard mode in the world that holds my primary keep. Create another world and hard mode in there. Which is what I did.

(It's not the difficulty I disliked. It's the sudden reveal that everything you created is going to be, in a sense, destroyed, and you can't stop it. For a game where such a huge portion of the appeal is creation/expression, that's a pretty d*ck move.)

Also, I seem to recall that in the old version you could give an item to the guide and he would tell you every item in the game you could make with it. Does he not do that anymore?

He does.

It's getting a bit much and to be honest: some of these NPCs are completely useless. All I ever need is: the Guide, the Nurse and the Goblin.

Why not build a prison for the rest of them? You know you can place them in rooms yourself, right?

NPCs reduce the monster spawn rate in the area. If you ever intend on building any contraptions the engineer is very necessary. Especially now that we can have 3 wire colors.

The Corruption is really not a problem anymore. Corruptors have been changed so they're no longer terrible, clowns no longer destroy hours of hard work, and the Clentaminator you get from the Steampunker can be used to completely purge whole caves of Corruption, Crimson and Hallow in one go.

The Corruption is really not a problem anymore. Corruptors have been changed so they're no longer terrible, clowns no longer destroy hours of hard work, and the Clentaminator you get from the Steampunker can be used to completely purge whole caves of Corruption, Crimson and Hallow in one go.

That's good to know. The only way I was aware of to keep the Hard Mode corruption/hallow from destroying your village/keep in the previous version was to do one or more of the following:

1) Completely eliminate every square of corruption on the entire map.

2) Build a keep on a floating island or---if it's too late for that----dig a huge gap beneath your keep to make a floating island.

3) Build your keep out of (or surround your keep with) a material that cannot be corrupted.

Already when I rolled a new character and map for 1.2, the first thing that I did was dig out a huge chunk of land to make it a floating island. If it's a lot easier to purify corruption, then maybe I'll just go for the 100% purification strategy.

I love Terraria! I will post some pics one of these days. I've built castles, ships, bars and dance clubs. And am I the only one here that makes backups of my worlds and duplicates precious resources? I actually very rarely cheat in games, but being that Terraria is a sand-box game I still actually find it quite a bit of fun manually constructing despite the "extra-advantages". And funny thing is- I do this all without TEdit. I downloaded it, but haven't used it yet. I plan to. I think my next project is to terraform an actual world to my specifications.

I'm still getting used to the 1.2 update. For the most part, it looks like it added really cool stuff. On the otherhand, it changed some of the graphics and that messed with my huge castle I built. Obsidian stones used to be this really pretty shade of purple. Now they look dark and sinister (more like real obsidian), so now I have to tear down some walls and rebuild them. And unfortunately, I found that the new paints only work on blocks but not walls. Am I wrong here?

Also, took me forever to figure out that items that used to be picked up with the hammer now require a pickaxe or drill.

And unfortunately, I found that the new paints only work on blocks but not walls. Am I wrong here?

I haven't experimented with the paints yet, but when I talked to the painter, I think remember seeing that there were different paint tools and you used different tools to paint different things. I think it was brush for blocks and roller for walls.

So here is my latest surprise with my freshly rolled 1.2 character. I didn't even know this was possible, but I managed to summon TWO eyes of cthulhu at the same time!

I managed to put up a good fight, but once they both entered phase two, I got f***ed right up the a**.

http://i.imgur.com/Z58StXi.jpg

Still can't play the new update...

*sulks towards xbox*

How does this game play on a console I wonder...

Not particularly well, in my opinion.

I had the same. I spawned one and a second spawned automatically. I killed em both just in time. Well I saved up until I had enough hearts to get to 400 once I had 180 health. But at 200 I would have failed so hard.

Yeah, I guessed that was the reason it happened. I had seen the "You feel an evil presence watching you..." message, but no eyes had spawned. So I used the item and then two showed up at once! I'm not sure if they intended that loophole to be in there or if it's technically a bug, but it's a pretty cool bug (even if it kills you to death), so why fix it.

I totally could have taken them if it weren't for god damn potion sickness.

Although the potion sickness does actually force me to craft higher level potions for a change, haha. Back in the old version you could rock the dungeon with just the most basic potion if you made a sh*tload of 'em. Ah, the good old days.

Omg. I finally got thorn chakra and ivy whip back.

Don't know whatcha got til it's gone. I will never ever ever delete all worlds/characters again so that I never have to play Terraria without thorn chakra and ivy whip.

*sweet relief*

I always get those pretty quick. i'd rather suffer through the Jungle in Iron Gear than play without those.

Speaking of which, with the 1.2 update, I got one of the maps where they replaced several types of ore with several different types of ore. So on my current map, instead of bronze I have tin, instead of steel I have lead, and instead of gold I have platinum.

Makes sense now that I know they just created a chance for the map to essentially re-skin the ores, but at first I was confused when I couldn't find any of the old metals anywhere. o_O

Armor hasn't really been a problem thus far. I was running around in lead gear (steel equivalent), and once while I was running through a corruption zone, I defeated an eater of souls and it dropped a complete set of ancient shadow armor.

I thought this was supposed to be a rare drop that you only got in pieces here and there? Kinda like the ancient cobalt armor, which I've only managed to find two pieces to so far. But blammo. Killed a single eater of souls and got the full set, which essentially allowed me to skip 2 or 3 sets of armor.

I was playing on a multiplayer server last night that was having a free-for-all allowing any and all characters, and the admin made himself a hardcore copy of his character and challenged us to kill him and get his stuff.

I managed to get in the last hit, and nabbed myself a pair of Steampunk Wings, (impossible to get in regular gameplay yet) an Unreal S.D.M.G, (it's like a superpowered megashark) a Legendary The Axe, a Legendary Paladin's Hammer, 270 Chlorophyte bullets, a Mythical Spectre Staff, Godly Vampire Knives, and a Murderous Wasp Gun.

I'm basically as decked out with endgame gear as you can possibly be.

Sign in to follow this