Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Project Update 15: 10/9/13

Hello internet friends! If you could lend me a moment of your time I'd like to update on all the awesomeness happening over here at Double Fine Headquarters. As I said in the last update Act 1 of the game is now at alpha. That means everything is fully functional now. All characters and environments are painted and implemented. All UI is implemented and functioning. All animations are blocked and integrated. All puzzles are functioning. Every scene has voice over, music, and sound effects. All the writing including examine and negative reaction lines are finished and implemented. So basically we have a real life game on our hands. Now we just need tweak, polish, and make this thing perfect. This is where it all starts to get real!

The past three weeks have been dedicated to polishing up Shay's half of the act and it's now nearly at beta. With the professional voice all recorded and implemented in the game, animators are now able to take their work to final and it's looking AMAZING. The fidelity they're able to bring to the animations and lipsyncing really breathes a ton of life into our characters.

We've really got into the swing of playtesting the game and are having someone new from outside the team play a section of the game for us nearly every day. This went really well on Shay's section of the game and uncovered a lot of really great polish work that has helped solidify the game's design. We've now moved on to testing Vella's half and also having people freely switch between both halves. All of this is helping us detail the Vella polish work we'll be doing for the next month and change.

All the 2PP guys are in the office now and are hard at work on Episode 12. The goal is to have a final cut next week to send to the audio guys, which would mean releasing it towards the end of the month. It will be another double length episode featuring lots of crazy antics from the voice over sessions, which should be quite entertaining.

AND NOW, some exciting news! To thank you all for everything you've done, we wanted to invite everyone to come out to SF to get your hands on the game. We're planning an event on Nov 2nd where you can do just this, in addition to much much more! Details will be coming soon and it's all on the hush hush until we publicly announce tomorrow, but wanted to give you a heads up. For those of you who can't make it, we're looking into setting up a live stream, so you won't totally miss out. GONNA BE SO FUN!!

Edit: This is live! Tell your friends! And yourself! http://www.dayofthedevs.com/

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear everything's coming along so nicely. Unfortunately I have to pass on your invitation to come to SF to playtest as I live on the other side of the world. Looking forward to the new documentary episode in a few weeks.

I wish I could go... I live in New England, but the update should be nice!

Can't wait to see more voice acting sessions! Maybe we'll see some more recognizable names like the awesome ones we saw last time!

Other side of the country and can't afford the plane ticket, otherwise I'd be there. =]

...and I knew the moment was coming where I'd hate the fact that I'm not in the Bay Area anymore since having to leave earlier this summer. :(

But I'll try to watch the stream and hope that everyone who attends has a great time!

Would absolutely love to come out to San Francisco for this, but alas, I am a penniless man! No worries, updates and another episode are just fine by me, and I hope everyone who makes it out to SF enjoys themselves!

Keep up the great work, Double Fine!

Please livestream the event so we can watch it until our devices stop functioning due to the downfall of our tears for not being there in person.

So looking forward to antics in the office. I'll definitely be there for the stream if I can get all of my work done in time. Crossing fingers!

All the writing including examine and negative reaction lines are finished and implemented.

This is good news! I thought you were going for a "one click for everything"-interface in which it wouldn't be possible to examine. Good to hear that Tim did not cheap out on that dialogue.

AND NOW, some exciting news! To thank you all for everything you've done, we wanted to invite everyone to come out to SF to get your hands on the game.

Darn. Why do I have to live on the other side of the world...?

San Franciscooooo is soooo far awayyyyy... :(

Anyway, looking forward to next documentary episode.

Awesome! Totally wish I could be there to show support <3

Pst Greg secretly means South Fremantle which is a place here in Perth, pass it on.

Guys, I just can't wait for this documentary! Well, I can, actually, but I'm really excited because it is something that was never done before and with such quality and details!

I guess all the difficulties, problems, bad reviews from non-backers and polemic only made it more valuable.

For me, this awesome and beautiful game is merely a great bonus. Thank you all for a well done job... you deserve the success you will experience after the release.

Abraços! (I'm just trying to get some more time to help translating the documentary subtitles to PT-BR)

San Franciscooooo is soooo far awayyyyy... :(

Anyway, looking forward to next documentary episode.

Yeaaahhh - can someone please fly me out to SF? That would be greeeeaaaat......

I posted this on the Kickstarter update page and I'm posting it here too.

I have a serious complaint about this Day of the Devs event. Because once again, the BACKERS are not going to be the first people who get their hands on the game. Sure SOME Backers will attend this event, but MOST of us cannot because we don't live near San Francisco and certainly can't afford the last minute airfare and hotel reservations required to make the trip.

The people who will attend will be PRESS and a bunch of random people who live in or near San Francisco, which will include some Backers. But not ALL Backers. The BACKERS should get priority. Not PRESS. Not the random public. The BACKERS are the ones who funded this project, not the general public. I am really upset about this. I feel like a second-class citizen even though I'm a Backer. >_<

I have a serious complaint about this Day of the Devs event. Because once again, the BACKERS are not going to be the first people who get their hands on the game. Sure SOME Backers will attend this event, but MOST of us cannot because we don't live near San Francisco and certainly can't afford the last minute airfare and hotel reservations required to make the trip.

The people who will attend will be PRESS and a bunch of random people who live in or near San Francisco, which will include some Backers. But not ALL Backers. The BACKERS should get priority. Not PRESS. Not the random public. The BACKERS are the ones who funded this project, not the general public. I am really upset about this. I feel like a second-class citizen even though I'm a Backer. >_<

Well I for one would like to say that I do not share this opinion. Good luck with it.

X

...wait, so you wouldn't have backed this project if you saw that this was included on the "perks" of being a backer? I'm not going to be able to attend because I live on the other side of the country, but I look at this as a welcome surprise to people in the area, and I hope everyone has fun!

Get over yourself.

+1 You guys are doing a great job... keep it up!

MAN I wish I could go! I'm actually in the city that day for school! (Yes, I have school on saturdays, animation school is crazy) But alas, I'm not old enough. 19. :'[

...wait, so you wouldn't have backed this project if you saw that this was included on the "perks" of being a backer? I'm not going to be able to attend because I live on the other side of the country, but I look at this as a welcome surprise to people in the area, and I hope everyone has fun!

Get over yourself.

This is not a perk of being a backer. This is a perk of either living in or near San Francisco or being rich. This doesn't benefit backers at all. Not sure what you're even saying.

I, and many thousands of others, gave MONEY to have this game be made. Yet I will apparently not be able to play it until either the beta phase (which was the original plan) or the steam early access, which is a necessary evil due to the lack of managing the project properly. (which happens quite a bit in game development so I had no issue with that) But this? This is playable Alpha code being made available to people who haven't backed the game.

Remember what they said during the Kickstarter project: "There will be a private online community set up for the backers to discuss the project with the devs and submit their thoughts and feelings about the game's content and direction, sometimes even voting on decisions when the dev team can't decide. Backers will also have access to help test the game once a beta is available."

So Backers get access to test the game during Beta but the GENERAL PUBLIC gets to test the Alpha if they live in or near San Francisco or can afford to make the trip there. That's not what I signed up for. That's not what I pledged my money for. BACKERS should have first access, if any, not people who didn't believe in the project strongly enough to give up their hard-earned money.

That's my point.

So Backers get access to test the game during Beta but the GENERAL PUBLIC gets to test the Alpha if they live in or near San Francisco or can afford to make the trip there. That's not what I signed up for. That's not what I pledged my money for. BACKERS should have first access, if any, not people who didn't believe in the project strongly enough to give up their hard-earned money.

That's my point.

That's my question...if this general public alpha event in San Fran was noted on the Kickstarter page BEFORE you had backed the project, would you have said "no way, I'm not backing the project if I don't get to touch it first!"

Doubtful.

I never thought that being a backer would give us access to the game before anyone else.

We've been given plenty of exclusive stuff already.

That's my point.

That's my question...if this general public alpha event in San Fran was noted on the Kickstarter page BEFORE you had backed the project, would you have said "no way, I'm not backing the project if I don't get to touch it first!"

Doubtful.

I might not have. Who knows? The reason I backed it was so that I could have input on the game and help it be the best it could be. Not so that random dude who shows up at some event who might not know anything about what makes adventure games good would have impact on it. Who knows what kind of gamers are going to show up at this event, play the demo, and then when asked for their thoughts complain about things that a backer would want in the game because they prefer games where all you do is shoot people in the face. That's just an exaggerated example as I'm sure Tim Schafer knows that adventure games shouldn't involve shooting people in the face. I'm just saying, who knows what kind of gamers will be showing up at this thing providing input on the game that I pledged money to make happen. It's not going to be just backers that show up at this thing. In fact, if the invitation went out to JUST BACKERS, I would have no problem with it, because even though I'm not getting my hands on it right away, at least I know it's only going to be my fellow backers whose opinions I trust.

The solution to this problem, of course, is for Double Fine to provide all backers a copy of the alpha they'll be demoing at the event prior to the event itself. Other Kickstarter projects have done this already. For example, Space Venture released a demo build a week before they had a public demo at San Diego Comic-Con. re:Alpha Builds, the Pinkerton Road Kickstarter has already released two alpha builds of Moebius, which I played and returned bug reports for with all due diligence. So there is no reason why Double Fine can't do that for their backers either.

Pst Greg secretly means South Fremantle which is a place here in Perth, pass it on.

:D

The BACKERS are the ones who funded this project, not the general public. I am really upset about this. I feel like a second-class citizen even though I'm a Backer. >_<

You are not disadvantaged merely because others are given an opportunity. It was a massive mistake to make the backer only forum and Kickstarter updates (not the videos) exclusive and Double Fine have had to suffer for the community's poor decision.

Once again, people seem to be forgetting that the major and probably only significant point of the crowdfunding campaign was that BACKERS made this game possible. That's not something that random people in San Francisco are going to get or be able to take away from us.

Ignoring all the stuff that we've been privileged to be a part of, we're only entitled to play the game in an in-development state, not to be elitist.

Edit: That said, I totally wouldn't be against the idea of being able to check out the game earlier than intended - I just don't feel that what others do and don't get is relevant at all.

I was under the impression (from the KS pitch) that the Backers would be part of the "beta". Has this changed?

Will the attendees to this event be playing an alpha version of the game?

Sign in to follow this