Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Project Update 15: 10/9/13

Not sure this is all relevant but in reading the thread these thoughts came to mind...

Right now Broken Age is in the state of an internal alpha. Per the KS page, backers were promised access to the early beta. Day of the Devs is going to be a limited hands on preview from what I can tell. When Broken Age reaches beta they'll reach out to backers and solicit feedback. No promises have been broken and nobody has been slighted the tiniest bit.

And besides, the KS page never said that backers would be the ONLY people to have any early looks at the game.

I think KS backers forget that their beta feedback is intended to be more on the technical side - bugs, glitches, what works in puzzles, what doesn't, etc. People will be able to also provide feedback on the game itself, but even then when a person plays a small chapter of a larger game they lack the proper context to provide story or design criticisms.

Tim and the BA team have designed the game they intended to create. They will hear out feedback on everything, but people expecting them to rewrite the story or implement significant design changes based on personal suggestions will be disappointed. Beta feedback isn't really focused on those things. When Tim did want feedback on other things like the title, or early character illustrations, he solicited it.

Not sure this is all relevant but in reading the thread these thoughts came to mind...

Right now Broken Age is in the state of an internal alpha. Per the KS page, backers were promised access to the early beta. Day of the Devs is going to be a limited hands on preview from what I can tell. When Broken Age reaches beta they'll reach out to backers and solicit feedback. No promises have been broken and nobody has been slighted the tiniest bit.

And besides, the KS page never said that backers would be the ONLY people to have any early looks at the game.

I think KS backers forget that their beta feedback is intended to be more on the technical side - bugs, glitches, what works in puzzles, what doesn't, etc. People will be able to also provide feedback on the game itself, but even then when a person plays a small chapter of a larger game they lack the proper context to provide story or design criticisms.

Tim and the BA team have designed the game they intended to create. They will hear out feedback on everything, but people expecting them to rewrite the story or implement significant design changes based on personal suggestions will be disappointed. Beta feedback isn't really focused on those things. When Tim did want feedback on other things like the title, or early character illustrations, he solicited it.

THIS.

yeah I also live far away and I'm not too bothered by others having access to Broken Age. Sad because I can't go? sure, but all I can say is "have fun those who can go there! ". Now, I agree it would be very cool if the team could distribute this demo to backers after they feel safe enough, because as little as it may be it is something for us to play while we await and I know us overseas backers would appreciate.

I can't decide what I like more. The day of the devs livestream, or the fact that despite people having very differing opinions and attitudes on here they still have polite, civil, and friendly conversations. It's like an oasis in a storm. This is what I get for being a forum mod elsewhere:P

Fearmonkey I can somewhat understand your concerns but I also question your faith in the backers, how do you know that they all feel the exact same way you do about adventure games? Some surely may like things easier or harder, or perhaps wildly different than how you define a good adventure game. I feel like your posts kind of lump all backers together and all non backers together as an us against them mentality when I think it's more likely to be a general mix of all different thoughts and opinions within both backers and non-backers.

As well, the demo sounds very limited so at first I did sort of get the impression they would have full game access which did bug me a little, but with the clarification that it's only a very small section I'm not so fussed. I think it is a really good idea to get feedback from people who didn't back the game simply because they're more likely to have different biases than us. It's a fairly safe bet that most backers are either fans of adventure games and or fans of Tim Schafer. That means we may be likely to think more positively of adventure games and his works. As well, we've been fairly close to the project as it's been developing and so might overlook things due to familiarity to them. Allowing fresh eyes to look it over means you have more chances for things that have been overlooked to be spotted.

As well you sort of give the impression, you think they will entirely rewrite or change huge chunks of the game based on one sample size. I don't think that's too likely for the fact that it's not a big enough group to be accurate.

Curious to hear your thoughts either way :)

Fearmonkey I can somewhat understand your concerns but I also question your faith in the backers, how do you know that they all feel the exact same way you do about adventure games? Some surely may like things easier or harder, or perhaps wildly different than how you define a good adventure game. I feel like your posts kind of lump all backers together and all non backers together as an us against them mentality when I think it's more likely to be a general mix of all different thoughts and opinions within both backers and non-backers.

I believe in democracy. If more backers think differently than me, then that's fine. I'm still going to speak my mind though. :P

Double Fine is trying to make a game the Backers were interested in funding. Obviously not all Backers are going to agree, but if the majority opinion is represented, that's fine by me.

Might I be disappointed if the game is too easy? Sure. But I'm still getting a game I paid for: a new adventure game by Tim Schafer and the wonderful folks at Double Fine.

Hey guys,

I know some folks are disappointing in the timing here, but sometimes things just work out in certain ways due to how the logistics fall. In this case, we simply aren't in a position where we can subject the game to wide scale (100,000 players) digital distribution, but we do have a public event where we're able to show off a very limited part of the game in a guided setting. That's just how things came together.

I know this may not be the way everyone looks at it, but we saw the Kickstarter as evidence that our backers trusted us to make the game Tim and Double Fine wanted to make. Our hope is that by making the game as best we know how, we will be doing right by the backers—we see it as less about getting majority approval on every aspect, and more about trusting that at the end of the day, our backers are actually pretty similar to us. And then of course, we're still always keeping the backers' opinions and desires in mind and looking for ways we can incorporate them more directly (such as when Tim got feedback/inspiration on Vella, in-game locations, etc.).

Broken Age is only made possible because of the backers, but we still have to put the game through a normal PR/publicity routine, just as we would for any other game. (In fact, one of the reasons we did this game through crowdfunding was so we COULD do things like this without having to go through endless rounds of publisher approval etc.)

We set up the Day of the Devs Livestream so that folks who couldn't make it to the event could still be here in spirit. Hopefully backers enjoy it!

Broken Age is only made possible because of the backers, but we still have to put the game through a normal PR/publicity routine, just as we would for any other game. (In fact, one of the reasons we did this game through crowdfunding was so we COULD do things like this without having to go through endless rounds of publisher approval etc.)

Honest question: Do you guys normally do PR/publicity on games that are currently in a rough alpha state?

Honest question: Do you guys normally do PR/publicity on games that are currently in a rough alpha state?

Yeah, absolutely. Not just us though. Most games are announced LONG before they're ready to ship (that's why it's possible to get excited about games that won't be out for months or in some cases years), but they still get shown off at E3, during press tours, etc.

I see. Thanks for the info. Was curious.

Regardless, I won't be able to watch the stream tomorrow as I'll be at Disneyland all day. I assume you'll have it available for replay at some point.

I see. Thanks for the info. Was curious.

Regardless, I won't be able to watch the stream tomorrow as I'll be at Disneyland all day. I assume you'll have it available for replay at some point.

Yep, it'll be archived!

Hey guys,

I know some folks are disappointing in the timing here, but sometimes things just work out in certain ways due to how the logistics fall. In this case, we simply aren't in a position where we can subject the game to wide scale (100,000 players) digital distribution, but we do have a public event where we're able to show off a very limited part of the game in a guided setting. That's just how things came together.

I know this may not be the way everyone looks at it, but we saw the Kickstarter as evidence that our backers trusted us to make the game Tim and Double Fine wanted to make. Our hope is that by making the game as best we know how, we will be doing right by the backers—we see it as less about getting majority approval on every aspect, and more about trusting that at the end of the day, our backers are actually pretty similar to us. And then of course, we're still always keeping the backers' opinions and desires in mind and looking for ways we can incorporate them more directly (such as when Tim got feedback/inspiration on Vella, in-game locations, etc.).

We set up the Day of the Devs Livestream so that folks who couldn't make it to the event could still be here in spirit. Hopefully backers enjoy it!

regardless what you think: the vast majority of us really enjoys what you do and we fully understand. The thing is: if you give us a note about how and why things turned out the way they did - we will understand. Everything will be fine - I'm shure :)

Agreed. I for one am so grateful to have a chance to see so much behind the scenes stuff and be so active in how the game has formed and changed. Keep it up!

Sign in to follow this