• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.
Sign in to follow this  
buckysrevenge

Costume Quest on iOS!

Sweet. I hope that means the Android version isn't too far behind.

I had no idea they were working on an iOS port. Did I miss the announcement or is this the first we hear of it?

I hadn't heard any announcement either. I'm pretty sure that they're making an Android version because they were porting it for Nvidia's Android device.

Oh, they said something about porting it to the Shield before? Do you remember where you read about that?

Not sure if I can download it. It says it needs at least iPhone 4S. I have the iPhone 4. Do I need to wait for my upgrade?

Are you guys serious with that App icon? Sorry but it looks horrible and jagged

Hi tquinta!

Yes, the icon was an oversight by one of our less artistically gifted Double Finers (me), who didn't realize that iOS and the AppStore would replace the original clean transparent background with that nasty black one. Our excellent artists have come to the rescue, and once the next version is approved by the Apple folks, the icon will look like this:

zYSisOK.png

Hope you are otherwise enjoying the game!

Dan

Oh, they said something about porting it to the Shield before? Do you remember where you read about that?

Saw it somewhere else originally, but this was one of the first I found:

http://www.droidgamers.com/index.php/game-news/android-game-news/6101-double-fine-s-costume-quest-will-be-heading-to-nvidia-s-shield

Here's an interview with Justin Bailey:

Thanks. That sounds promising. I hope they get it out in time for Halloween.

Saw it somewhere else originally, but this was one of the first I found:

http://www.droidgamers.com/index.php/game-news/android-game-news/6101-double-fine-s-costume-quest-will-be-heading-to-nvidia-s-shield

Here's an interview with Justin Bailey:

Thanks. That sounds promising. I hope they get it out in time for Halloween.

Even if they miss it, it'll be awesome if/when it comes out. I could totally get behind playing Costume Quest on mobile. Having finished MMoJ recently, I was looking at my phone thinking, 'man, I wish there was another mobile game from Double Fine I could play.'

That's true. I actually dreamt last night that I was a hero in MMoJ. Not one of the current heroes, because I had a sword, but I it was still MMoJ somehow.

Soooooo, any thoughts on whether I can play this on iPhone 4?

Soooooo, any thoughts on whether I can play this on iPhone 4?

Hey oanst!

The min specs for CQ iOS require an iPad2 or iPhone4S. You should still be able to install it, but we can't guarantee it will be a smooth gameplay experience (indeed, I can guarantee it will NOT run smoothly). Sorry about that! We tried to be as inclusive as possible could without compromising visual quality and performance.

Dan

That's alright. I get an upgrade at some point in the next year. I'll pick it up after that.

two problems to report:

- in the base Costume Quest game, in the fight against Dorsilla right before you fight Big Bones, If you use the knight costume, the button to actually apply the shield to a player (the Knight's special attack) doesn't work. You choose which character you want, then if you try to choose "Yes" (or whatever the button is to apply the shield), the touch signal seems to pass through the button to the layer behind it, and it just changes the selected character. "No" works, so you can at least attack instead. It is only in the battle against Dorsilla, though I didn't use the Knight against Big Bones.

- In Grubbins on Ice, I've played through to the save point after the end of Trick or Treating/asking for donations (after the cinema where the revolutionaries break through the door, leaving the bird stuck in the door by his beak) twice. I save at the save point there, and both times, when I try to load the save, it shows the loading screen, then the app quits. Well, it doesn't quit, it crashes you out to the menu, but the application is still running. If you go back in again, it acts as if you are starting the app up from scratch, but if you double-click on the home button, the app is still there. I am on an iPad 3 with iOS 7. I tried restarting the app, restarting the iPad. Nothing works. The save seems to just be corrupted at that point.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Hey Jonathan!

Thanks for the detailed report! We'll try to repro these problems internally so they'll be addressed in the next update. One quick question: which iOS device are using to play? We like to know so we can use the same device to repro.

Thanks

Dan

Hi,

I am playing on 64 GB iPad 3rd generation, running iOS 7.0.2.

Thanks for responding, also. Let me know if there is anything else I could do to help (like sending the save game file - not sure of the format, if it would be helpful, but if that would help, and if you could point me at its location, I could grab it and send it to you).

Jon

Just a quick update:

We've found the bug preventing you from confirming a target for a friendly ability. The game prioritizes tapping on enemy targets over tapping on the confirm/cancel buttons, so it only occurs on specific battles where the enemy target area overlaps with the buttons. Sorry we missed that one.

We're actively trying to reproduce the crash as well. I'll get a patch together and we'll submit it for approval by Apple on Monday.

Thanks again for your report, Jonathan!

Dan

I'm having a crash with my saved game too! :( I got to Big Bones in Grubbins on Ice, lost the initial battle saved my game and called it a night. Now attempting to load that saved game goes to the loading screen, and crashes out to my home screen.

I'm on iOS 7.0.3 on iPad (3) 64 GB as well.

Please let me know if I can be of any help tracking down this issue :)

Hi!

I'm affected by the crash mentioned above (broke down the door) and the bug applies to both my iPhone 5s and my iPad mini (g1), both running 7.0.3.

Same symptoms, everything…don't think I "phoned the history dept" to save my game, I believe I just felt that was a good place to call it good night, breaking down the door.

Tried starting my non-Grubbins auto-save, the one just after Dorsilla calls it quits, and it works fine. I'd rather not start over Grubbins, but if that's required I guess I'm done finishing this game on pad/phone—started playing on MBA first, but when it released for smaller devices I just had to switch. If start over is the only option I guess the game will sleep til next year.