Sign in to follow this  
DF Anthony

MASSIVE CHALICE Update #29: Teamstream #8 Today!

Hey MASSIVE CHALICE People!

It’s that time again! Teamstream #8 is TODAY, October 11th at 4PM Pacific (23:00 GMT)! Last Teamstream we focused on Hero Classes with concept artist, Derek Brand! Today we’ll be checking out some new demon fx, weapon concepts and the latest playable! Tune in live at Double Fine's Twitch channel, and make sure you bring some questions for the Q&A at the end! :D!

More Keep Explorations

We’re starting to get a better idea of what various regions in our world might look like. So, Derek has been exploring what the keeps for those regions might look like. Check it out!

keeps_Pass2.jpg

In case you can’t make the live broadcast you can find all our Teamstreams on our YouTube channel. And, be sure to head over to the MASSIVE CHALICE BLOG where we post the latest news from the team!

If a topic discussed by the team or your fellow backers gets you excited, happy, upset or anything in-between then talk to us about it! The best way to do that is to head over to the MASSIVE CHALICE FORUMS and start a discussion.

See you later today!

B, J and L are sweet.

Thought it might be worth pointing you towards these in case you chaps weren't aware; not a bad thing at all but some of those (s12 especially) are edging towards Icecrown:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080902133907/wowwiki/images/f/f6/Icecrown-Wrath-Login.jpg

http://www.imageslime.com/img/Icecrown-Citadel-1756.jpg

B, J and L are sweet.

Thought it might be worth pointing you towards these in case you chaps weren't aware; not a bad thing at all but some of those (s12 especially) are edging towards Icecrown:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080902133907/wowwiki/images/f/f6/Icecrown-Wrath-Login.jpg

http://www.imageslime.com/img/Icecrown-Citadel-1756.jpg

Oh Snapple! The resemblence is strong in this reference. Maybe Sam Wise was influenced by Brutalisk architecture?

O

Ah like the stairs' ascent up a hill rather than the keep being on a flat surface. Had an almost industrial-district factory profile which works.

E

Those circular shapes and the swoop on the left read too "neo 70s" style as appeared in the Charlie's Angels movie.

M

Looks villainous. If it were brightly lit that'd change.

F

Really like these crown shapes and the leanness of it, almost like a sculpture from I-beams. Doesn't look like a habitable structure but would be a cool doodad.

H

Really cool. That tapering in to a low pinch and sweeping up gives this building such a domineering, strong prescence. Definitely says, "The ruler lives here".

G

Reminds me of the Reapers from ME3 coming down to feed on cities. Loks kind of like a giant bug digging into the ground. Cool but ah'd expect it to topple over. Maybe some wood beams or heavy japanese tiles brought down onto central pillars to steady the weight would make it seem more stable.

S12

Really like the duality of shapes here. A big O with a tower presiding over it. All the gaps in between pillars could have water flowing out to put it on a waterfall and imply a wheel-powered distillery.

S9

The halfway-up walkway makes it seem bigger somehow. Looks like a university.

S1

Reads clean. I like the smooth-edged diagonals inward. Feels like it needs expanded somehow: more at the bottom and/or extend the fin-like rise in the back. Is suggestive of pushing the shapes further at this point but not committed to a dominant crest in back, flooring, or other arrangement.

The shape immediately right of the cross does appear in a lot of real-world doors which would have a triangle cut-out to force weight to the sides of the door. Was the artist purposefully avoiding the spade-like shape of arabic doors/windows?

Is it just me, or is a large chunk of this teamstream not archived (between parts 1 & 2)? Maybe it's just taking a while for twitch to process or something?

I was looking for the part where the new relic system was discussed and I can't seem to find it (except for part of the Q&A).

Cheers for throwing my question out there Anthony - I should have been a bit clearer though, I was thinking more about overall population:

In new X-com I use a series of rookies (they wear helmets and don't get names) to flush out targets for overwatch. The path to victory is paved with their bones.

This is fine there, rookies are cheap and plentiful, but if I'm doing that in Massive Chalice am I going to quickly run out of dudes? I imagine it would be dependant on breeding, but can you also get houses/dudes from elsewhere to fill ranks if you've fed every last one of them to the demons?

Is it just me, or is a large chunk of this teamstream not archived (between parts 1 & 2)? Maybe it's just taking a while for twitch to process or something?

I was looking for the part where the new relic system was discussed and I can't seem to find it (except for part of the Q&A).

Yeah I'm a little bummed by it. Everything from the adviser to the QA is gone. I didn't catch it live so it's possible nothing got missed but the jump is quite harsh so I'm assuming there's something missing. Hopefully it'll get sorted out.

I actually did manage to watch the stream live this week and there is definitely a huge amount missing from the archive. They kept talking about the adviser for at least ten minutes past the point where part 1 of the archive is cut off (including some really neat ideas about different forms the chalice adviser(s) could take); then there was a discussion about the revamped chalice system which is a huge change from the system proposed in the previous stream. Honestly, it's pretty much the most important/interesting part of the stream that was lost which kind of sucks.

I'd assume the team can at least upload the design docs that were shown during the stream and hopefully they can get the missing video fixed somehow.

For anyone who didn't see the stream live, the new relic system scraps the idea of relics as items that can fit into generic slots and instead goes with the idea that weapons are turned into relics that can then be leveled. I don't remember the details, which is why I was looking for the stream, but that was the basic idea.

Hey guys - I'll check in with Anthony and 2PP to find out what happened to the cached stream and we'll resurrect it if possible!

And if not, I'll check with Brad about sharing the doc.

Hey guys - I'll check in with Anthony and 2PP to find out what happened to the cached stream and we'll resurrect it if possible!

Thanks, John!

Also "Teamstream #8 Part 1" video seems to have missed the beginning of the chat...

Thanks for looking into it, I just watched Part 1 ( watching live is not an option for me, as it starts at 1 in the morning local time... ) and just as it got interesting with the talk about the adviser it stopped, then part 2 seems to continue with something else entirely :(

And I think Orso is right, there is something missing at the beginning of Part 1 too...

Thanks for the heads-up about the video exports! They should be fixed now with the full discussion, including the Relics system in part 1 of the Teamstream!

The YouTube videos of the Teamstream should show up in a few hours once the export completes.

Talk again soon, everyone!!

-Anthony

Didn’t realize that the old system wasn’t liked. I must have been away too much from the forums.

I liked it at least. Sad to see it go. The new one felt somewhat more generic and grindy and a bit less fun.

Now it feels to me that the relics are too much more like characters since they level up.

I also feel that giving/creating history around something is a good approach but in this system you very much marginalize the characters history and just focus on the weapons. At least that is my impression right now.

So instead of thinking that my grandfather Tim who used his sword starfangled in the battle of Starim where he slayed ten demons before he fell. It will make you think this is the legendary sword Starfangled that has been used in many a battles once it was used to slay ten demons in a battle.[simplified reasoning]

Given any reference to the character is not at all as important in the second example. Like Brad said in the video “this guy”. So I would like a more healthy balance between character and relic. This also should be done so you will really feel like getting the Crits to the Epic level so you can get you old characters fighting/spectering in ghost form again and be able to relate to them.

Also aren´t there going to be any relics for research or such like cloaks glasses and whatnot making research better? Is it just going to be mostly combat focused now? But some weapons will still give buffs that help research.

Personally I would like it to be more that you shouldt always know what creates a relic item´or makes things tick.

A grasp of information or a very basic understanding would be ok but not too much. Now it feels like you are showing too much information, are you going to do the same with all the genetics? Cause right now I feel it might get to gamey.

Maybe that’s just me but I´m really not a feeling this new system but hope that I will start to like it as I get more insight into it. But Teamstream 8 sadly did not convince me that much in this aspect. But don´t get me wrong there were many things presented about the relics and the characters that I really liked too.

But I have to say that this is the first time I ever had a strong negative feeling towards something presented by Double Fine but I guess it was bound to happen. And hopefully you will convince me ;)

I also have questions about house/bloodlines and relics. What happens if we have 5 houses/bloodlines . A,B,C,D and E house/bloodline.

A relic is created in the A house. A daughter gets the relic and then has children with a hero from B house and also settles there. When she dies can her AB children inherit the relic or just A children from her original house that her sister runs now? Everyone in this example that can inherit are of the same class.

What happens if we have a ABCDE house/bloodline heir in the late in the game can he/she and offspring use all relics if they are the right class?

What happens if a heir dies with his mothers sword, has no heirs but his father is still alive can he give the inheritance to him or maybe the characters brother?

And also can an heir of a certain class safeguard relics from destruction even if she cannot use them or do you have to be the last Vanguard class of a bloodline to save weapons only a Vangurad can use?

Keep up the great work!

I will take a stab at your questions Michel

The house blood lines will not matter when dealing with weapons on terms of DNA. The weapons a specifically for children BORN in that house. I like to think the weapons will only be pass to people with the same last names of the person who dies.