Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
flesk

Recommend a good controller

PS3 controllers are inherently superior in just about every way as far as controllers go. Far better d-pad, pressure sensitive buttons, built-in rechargeable battery, motion sensors. The only advantage a 360 pad has is that it's easier to set up for a PC, and there's a crazily overpriced wireless dongle available for them on PC.
triggers suck

Another problem of the PS3 controller is that it's only good for a specific type of games and that aesthetics were more important to Sony than ergonomics, the input of the triggers, the thumb sticks, ... (except the d-pad) it just doesn't feel good enough compared to the Xbox 360 controller.

I think the triggers are great and the controller is perfectly comfortable for extended play. I prefer the layout of the PS3 controller to the 360 one, easily.

My problem with the PS3's triggers is the shape of them, but that's being addressed with the PS4's controller.

I keep both a 360 controller and a PS3 controller hooked up to my PC, but the PS3 controller doesn't get much use outside of local co-op, or the occasional old/emulated game that plays better with a d-pad.

or the occasional old/emulated game that plays better with a d-pad.

God, the 360 d-pad is such an abomination. Even the new 360 pads' "better" d-pad is a total joke.

Use the thumb stick instead. They generally should get rid of the mechanic d-pad. It always was just a lousy joystick replacement.

PS3 controllers are inherently superior in just about every way as far as controllers go. Far better d-pad, pressure sensitive buttons, built-in rechargeable battery, motion sensors. The only advantage a 360 pad has is that it's easier to set up for a PC, and there's a crazily overpriced wireless dongle available for them on PC.

NO NO NO

PS controllers have always been inferior to everything else, except the D-pad

the triggers are so horrendous I have to use concave attachments on them. nor do they provide as much feedback as the X360 triggers. The overal feeling of the controller is a child's toy, very small and plastic feel.

The left thumbstick, should be placed top, and the D-pad down, as the top position doesn't stress the thumb as much. simple ergonomics. I know some people who used PS controllers for years and can't look back after using a GC, X360 or Wii (U) pro controller

Another thing is muscle memory. imo it's much easier to learn a button position that is coloured + letter, than a black PS button with a vague icon on it. and since a lot of Pc games use the X360 controller input, you get the X360 button prompts on screen.

The PS3 thumbsticks have a much smaller deadzone than the X360/Nintendo ones. But that's no real issue, just getting used to them.

the triggers are so horrendous I have to use concave attachments on them. nor do they provide as much feedback as the X360 triggers. The overal feeling of the controller is a child's toy, very small and plastic feel.

...how does the 100% plastic 360 controller feel less plastic than the plastic PS3 controller? Also I completely disagree about the triggers, they are perfectly fine.

The left thumbstick, should be placed top, and the D-pad down, as the top position doesn't stress the thumb as much. simple ergonomics. I know some people who used PS controllers for years and can't look back after using a GC, X360 or Wii (U) pro controller

Okay? I've had a 360 since launch and I still prefer my PS3's controller. I use a 360 gamepad on PC simply for compatibility and the fact that the button prompts match up with games that support it.

Another thing is muscle memory. imo it's much easier to learn a button position that is coloured + letter, than a black PS button with a vague icon on it. and since a lot of Pc games use the X360 controller input, you get the X360 button prompts on screen.

While I like using my 360 controller on PC simply because it's easier and the button prompts match up, I don't agree even the slightest about remembering button positions. Maybe it's because I've used Playstation controllers for over 15 years, but I have absolutely no trouble remembering the placement of the buttons on a PS controller. And if we're going for "feeling like a child's toy", don't brightly colored buttons make it look a bit more childish?

The PS3 thumbsticks have a much smaller deadzone than the X360/Nintendo ones. But that's no real issue, just getting used to them.

I actually prefer a smaller deadzone, but maybe that's just me.

I don't see the coloured buttons as being an issue. I use the PS3 for the PS3 and the 360 for PC. I had the PS consoles first and had no problem memorizing the buttons, but I'll admit that when I switch to the 360 after using the PS3, I screw up pretty badly with QTE because of the X and A buttons.

I haven't had trouble with either and generally prefer the PS3 layout... but... The left stick on both my PS3 controllers are peeling. I blame the stick design itself though. I guess the more subtle and sleek 360 stick design is better as those ones are perfectly fine.

I got my new controller yesterday, so I checked out Steam Big Picture and tried a few games. Playing computer games with a controller was pretty awesome and I liked the navigation in SBP and the way you type with both a stick and buttons. I got used to it in no time and using the browser worked a lot better than it does on DS/3DS/Wii. I've pretty much only used Nintendo controllers since PS2, so the reversed XY/AB button layout took some getting used to.

Sign in to follow this