Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KestrelPi

Prediction Time

I have a feeling...

And it's just a feeling, I don't have any insider info or anything...

Purely based on some offhand remarks people have made on twitter and such...

1) That later on today, Double Fine will announce the release of a new game, possibly even release it at the same time.

2) That game will be the Amnesia Fortnight game, Spacebase DF-9, though possibly by a different name.

3) I further suspect that it will be an in-development Minecraft style release model.

Maybe I'll turn out to be completely wrong. But I think there'll be something.

I don't keep track of everyone on twitter, but considering Day of Devs is coming up in a little over 2 weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if another game will be announced there if not before.

I'm basing it on a few things that JP LeBreton has said over the last few months:

Yesterday:

"For you, first impression of each cool thing in your game is spread out over months/years. For others, hours. Ah, to see with their eyes..."

Then shortly later "Something begins tomorrow."

So somethin's going on to do with a game reveal. And it seems to be JP's baby. His game in Amnesia Fortnight was Spacebase DF-9, and I remember at the time asking him if he thought a development release model would work, like with Minecraft, and he said he'd sort of been thinking of it along those lines. In my mind this sort of tallies up with the phrasing 'something begins tomorrow.'

Also, I remember a few months ago him saying something about the joys of coming up with fragments of text to be spat out in a random generator as part of your job, I think it was specifically in reference to random band names. Which were a thing in the Spacebase prototype.

So yeah, I'm making a few leaps, but still. Callin' it.

These types of games aren't usually my cup of tea, but I'd be willing to give it a try because I've never been disappointed with a DF game I've tried.

I'm very excited about it if I'm right. Of the AF games last year it simultaneously struck me as the one that was least successful in terms of the experience, but perhaps most successful at making me excited about the potential of the idea if it was developed.

I was browsing the Steam registry this morning and noticed Spacebase DF-9 had some recent updates so I figured it was coming. Wasn't expecting a new game until that Day of the Devs event but I love surprise releases like this.

Following this tweet from JP, Cheeseness and I were talking about it last night and we figured that it was likely Spacebase DF-9 since JP had been the project lead of something for a while and a full release of the AF project he lead seemed likely.

Sign in to follow this