Sign in to follow this  
Dr.ROBOTUSSIN

FINALLY! LETS HEAR THOSE OPINIONS!

alright now that we can open our mouths how is everyone enjoying the game and what do you want?

Well it would be nice if they had the time to tell us like with Prison Architect what is up and coming, and such things :)

Or in Plantary Annilhilation i love knowing what is coming over the course of the next days weeks and what the team is working on.

Atm i just love the same, really really like the art style, the music and the atmosphere, it just totally nails it for me.

Takes me back to when i first played Theme Hospital as a kid, i could play that damn game ALL weekend long. Goodtimes *sniff*

Yeah, I think they need to have a short and simple info about the project plan, what they've implemented and what they're thinking of implementing next. Especially on the steam store and steam forum. People are easily confused, so there's a need to communicate in a very apparent manner to them.

I felt that the prototype they did during the Amnesia Fortnight felt a bit messy, with an unclear direction, but when they're now doing a real attempt to make a real product of the idea, then I'm on board. I like the idea of iterative development of strategy titles, and this give me some vibes of the old Utopia game for the Amiga.

First impressions: Nice graphics, nice music, seems to be fun to build stuff, but how do I build the airlock doors?

Want: WASD movement.

I felt that the prototype they did during the Amnesia Fortnight felt a bit messy, with an unclear direction, but when they're now doing a real attempt to make a real product of the idea, then I'm on board. I like the idea of iterative development of strategy titles, and this give me some vibes of the old Utopia game for the Amiga.

First impressions: Nice graphics, nice music, seems to be fun to build stuff, but how do I build the airlock doors?

Want: WASD movement.

Check out the construct->objects->doors menu.

As a Dvorak keyboard user, I think ,AOE movement would be just as nice as WASD.

Would like to have the option for mouse to actually scroll the screen, im not sure why this is going out of style :P looking at your Introversion !! hmmfp

4 crashes in 30 minutes playtime. Guess I'm gonna wait for some updates.

Is there an autosave option? If not, please add.

Played for about 2 hours, thoughts:

Things I liked:

- The setting visuals overall are really cool. The music is great.

- The characters seem to have their own lives, it was fun to try to make sense of their conversations and reading their logs.

- The UI looks great.

Things I think can be improved:

- Exploring outside my base doesn't seem that interesting. Other than the rocks which are all kinda the same, there was some sort of black ship, but it bugged and the character wouldn't explore it inside.

- The game needs more feedback. Like if I try to add an object before setting up the room type, an error message saying something like "this object can only be placed in rooms assigned as X" would be useful

- Placing rooms is awkward. I think being able to re-position the starting tile (maybe my holding space) would make it easier.

- The game crashed a couple of times which is expected of an Alpha release, but it makes the lack of manual save kind pretty evident. Personally I'd like to be able to save any time, without having to quit.

I stopped playing when it didn't seem like there was anything else to do, since you can't build the reactor. I'd totally keep playing it, it was very fun, I can see this being a great game once theres is more content.

- The game crashed a couple of times which is expected of an Alpha release, but it makes the lack of manual save kind pretty evident. Personally I'd like to be able to save any time, without having to quit.

Hey! I don't know if it's communicated anywhere, but you can do CTRL+S to manually save and CTRL+L to load. I'm not sure if it's on the list for being in the menu, but it's a possibility

Hey! I don't know if it's communicated anywhere, but you can do CTRL+S to manually save and CTRL+L to load. I'm not sure if it's on the list for being in the menu, but it's a possibility

I might have missed it, but either way, NICE

Thanks. Much appreciated. I haven't looked everywhere, so I might have missed it before, but now I know :). Before I had to use save and exit.

Managed to play for 15 minutes now without crashing, and got the basics of the base up and running. It was a bit tricky, but that gave the same feeling as getting the first shelter up in Minecraft before the first night. :)

Just blind-bought it. Only have seen the trailer. Just quickly 2cents from a guy who mainly plays strategy games:

Put something in for infinite building resources at the very end. Everyone always hates it when your dream-city/base/kingdom has run out of "stuff". Thats what everyone also hated about the new SimCity (more like SimVillage ...).

Seems like a A LOT OF COMBAT. Meh.... you know what the world needs? A NEW THEME PARK! Make it more like that.

ALSO: THIS IS IMPORTANT! Every self respecting strategy gamer uses ESCAPE to cancel menus. Thats like a law! Civ, EU4, XCOM you name it! I dare you to make it "X".

Is there a way to rotate the view? If not please add! I will also echo the use of esc to cancel out of menus. It was driving me nuts. I'll give this a better look later, it's looking very promising.

Is there a way to rotate the view? If not please add! I will also echo the use of esc to cancel out of menus. It was driving me nuts. I'll give this a better look later, it's looking very promising.

This would be super easy to do in 3D, but our background tiles and objects are all 2D, so rotating them is not so easy. Everything is painted at the angle you see. I think Jeremy made those objects look so good, that you feel like you can rotate around them!

I instantly bought the game the moment I saw it was on Steam Early Access. This is my kind of game.

Anyways, I've played it for about an hour and so far the game is very easy to get into and easy to understand. Most of the controls are intuitive and the GUI is very good at giving you information you need and not getting in the way or taking up a lot of space. I particularly like that the key commands are shown with each menu, which helps me to memorize them. The graphics look good and like the clean, futuristic style everything has. I'd personally like to see more little effects like blinking lights or more effects in the animations like sparks when the builders build, moving parts on machines, etc., but overall I like the artistic vision of the game. Also, right now the animations don't convey a sense of weight and force it feels like to me. The sound seems good to me, I like the space mood music, but your base could use more sounds (which I know could still be in the works) that make it sound "alive" like ambient bleeps and bloops and specific sounds certain machines make when you are near them. Overall though the game is pretty fun in the state it's in and I can't wait to see how it's all fleshed out in the coming months.

This would be super easy to do in 3D, but our background tiles and objects are all 2D, so rotating them is not so easy. Everything is painted at the angle you see. I think Jeremy made those objects look so good, that you feel like you can rotate around them!

I hope that you will be able to spend more time on the objects to enable rotation, because the inability to do makes building quite a lot harder then you wish it to be.

I like the hand-drawn tiles and wouldn't expect a full 3D conversion, but 90-degree rotations would be useful to look around some big objects. That said, some good games have gotten away with a lack of rotation (StarCraft), so it's worth trying to make it work as is.

A top-down map view might be useful in some cases as well.

I like the hand-drawn tiles and wouldn't expect a full 3D conversion, but 90-degree rotations would be useful to look around some big objects. That said, some good games have gotten away with a lack of rotation (StarCraft), so it's worth trying to make it work as is.

A top-down map view might be useful in some cases as well.

Starcraft's camera isn't at the same angle though as Space Base.

I wouldn't be after freeform rotation. 90 degree "flips" would be sufficient. You can already rotated the objects you're placing in the world in that fashion, I want to be able to flip the entire screen view. A number of old isometric games used this technique (simcity 2000 is one that springs to mind).

Very hopeful as more and more systems get layered in. Binged on it last night after the stream was done.

Honest opinion is there isn't much there yet, which is exciting because its nice to see so early.

I did a few bases in about 3 hours. Felt like I saw all the systems the game has to offer at the moment.

All bases ended when I just got sick of the constant combat and just building bigger and bigger rooms of the same type.

My BIGGEST want from your dev plan at the moment is making the game multi-layered.

I know its one of the bigger technically tasks but the sooner the better because of the massive knock-on it will have.

Flat space base just feels very pale.

Also from a game design POV Matter is nice in its simplicity but I think it could really limit the potential game systems and nuance of future development.

Potentially treat it like 3D printing in that "matter" can print most things but is quite limited in material properties. Would give nice expansion as you hunted for particular resources or spent resources to do matter transmutation ect..

VERY excited to see where this goes :)

Multilayer can make or break a game, ive tried som fun games like this, where multilayerinjg totally ruined the game. just saying.

Unless there is a huge reason and some other limitiation for the reason to have layers its best to be careful.

Definitely hoping for many rooms. thats what the game needs to stay fresh that and the ability to like research more objects with purpose for each room, again kinda like Theme hospital did it.

This is my first time playing an open-ended sim like this since trying (and losing interest in) Terraria, and I thought it was time to give the genre another stab. Early access to a DF version couldn't have come at a better time. First thoughts:

* I like the sort of 16-bit art style. The sprites have a lot of character, the look is clean and functional, but it's still somewhat bare-bones. As more content comes on-line, I expect bases will have a bit more variety and become more pleasing to simply sit and admire.

* The UI is excellent, even at this stage. The game systems are self-documenting and the interface encourages experimentation, which must be considered an absolutely critical requirement for this kind of game. I did watch the developer walkthrough before playing my first game, but I'm sure between them the UI and the hint system would have got me through anyway.

* Similarly, the music is retro-cool.

* Early base-building is fun but follows the same pattern every time. Not sure that's a fixable thing. As more room shapes and randomisation comes on-line, things should improve.

I think simple, social multiplayer is crucial. As it says in the dev plan, accepting visitors and trading from friends' bases and building new systems around that simple mechanic (communicable diseases, alien parasites, etc.) will add immeasurably to the experience. Make it so!

The only negative I had was I thought that the game was a little expensive for this kind of genre. I'm happy to support DF with a few extra quid but it did give me pause.

Overall, I've had a fun hour or two so far and can't wait for more. :)

Multilayer can make or break a game, ive tried som fun games like this, where multilayerinjg totally ruined the game. just saying.

Exactly this, which is why if it isn't in early no chance it will ever go in and I think that would be a shame a limit possibility space.

This sounds completely contrary to the game's Dwarf Fortress style design but I would really love an objective based mode.

Either:

a) level based objectives like Theme Hospital

or

b) a mode with an overarching building objective or win conditions. For example you could win by building a super duper colony pod that can seed a new Earth. The game could then assign a score based on completion time, colonists killed, material gathered etc etc.

Alpha Centauri is one of my favourite games of all time. While Spacebase is nothing like the 4X design, I really love the idea of incorporating a story throughout when you build certain items or reach scientific goals too.

You could add a Civ style option to keep playing after win conditions are met for those that get attached to perfecting their base.

I realise this isn't what you DF seem to have in mind for the game's direction but it would be satisfying for players that love to build and aren't that fussed about combat/ don't want every game to end the same -- with the base's inevitable demise. With FTL I found having an objective was a great plus. Even though my ships died hundreds of times, trying to win made the game more fun somehow. It added something even though I really enjoy the game's mechanics.

You could choose for each new game whether you want to free play or play the objective mode.

I am in love with this game so far - the visuals are terrific, and where you have it at Alpha stage is very impressive. I'm excited to continue playing as it progresses!

A few thoughts about the Construction UI: I'd love it if it was a little more robust, I find laying out rooms can be a bit frustrating and time-consuming for a perfectionist like me. After I click-drag a new room, I'd love it if I could somehow drag it around with a hand tool and even resize it before actually placing it (instead of having to always erase and re-draw or manually edit). Also, it would be cool if there was a toggle for snap, so if you had it enabled your cursor would snap to other walls/wall intersections while you're click-dragging a new room. I guess I'm imagining like Photoshop-style controls?

I'm loving it so far, though it is of course extremely simplistic yet. Really looking forward to added complexity and more to do.

I'm loving it so far, though it is of course extremely simplistic yet. Really looking forward to added complexity and more to do.

Yeah content is what the game is lacking atm, not only things to build and do, but also things to watch your little guys do. like using rooms in various fun and cool ways.

That was one of my major joys of Theme Hospital besides building the hospital, was just watching those funny little guys go about their day, trying to avoid DYING in the wacky schemes that were deemed able to cure them haha good times.

Love the game. It was the Fortnight game I enjoyed the most. I know its an alpha so I can't pick on any faults and I'm not a game designer (nor have I ever played one on TV) do I can't give you any advice. Just glad I could play this early. Thanks. The only thing I would say is keep the simulation light and humorous like Theme Hospital and similar late 90s tycoon games.